bad karma 14-Apr-18
bad karma 14-Apr-18
Darrell 15-Apr-18
elk yinzer 15-Apr-18
goelk 15-Apr-18
HUNT MAN 15-Apr-18
Paleface 16-Apr-18
14-Apr-18
I have a few packages of elk stew meat left. I’ve been making a simple elk/tater/carrot stew with Lipton onion soup packets. It’s ok, but nothing special.

Anyone have a good recipe they’d be willing to share? Even possibly crockpot use as well?

Make it simple, I’m about the worst cook out there.

14-Apr-18
Bake, you need a Clay Baker for this recipe.

1. Soak lid of baker, cut up 2# meat and place in bottom of baker( do not brown meat).

2. cut up celery-- 4 stalks, and baby red potatoes-- 10-12, 6 carrots, and scatter over meat

3. mix large can of tomato sauce with 6 tbs of instant tapioca pudding, and 1/2 cup of water, mix in one tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper, one tbls of sugar. Mix all together and pour over meat and potatoes.

4. Cover baker with lid, place in cold oven, set temp to 250 degrees, cook for 5 hours. Do not open oven.

5. serve with corn bread and red wine .

14-Apr-18
Paul, that sounds great.

Bake, sear the meat pieces in a skillet. Just sear them off. Throw your taters, onions, carrots, celery, a couple bay leaves, and Garlic into a stew pot on the stove and cover them with about two inches of water. Cover the pot and bring it to a boil. Cook the carrots to desired texture, then add the meat and simmer on low for 20-30 minutes. Season the soup at this time to taste with salt and pepper. After you simmer every thing for a bit, get the corn starch out and add a bit. Like a tablespoon. See if it's thick enough for your desired taste. If so, eat your stew. If not, add a touch more starch until you like the consistency.

To cook in a slow cooker, just add all the ingredients to it, cover with 3 inches water, cook it for a minimum of 4 hours, add your corn starch when done.

Simple man. And, it is Good. God Bless

14-Apr-18
Almost the same as WV.

Pressure cooker: (I've done this with a large frozen solid roast) super easy .... mix what seasonings you like with enough beef broth to cover large roast, bring up to pressure for 3 hours, remove from pressure cooker and place in crock pot with carrots, potatoes, onions, celery: on high until potatoes and carrots are done. Remove all ingredients from the liquid - add corn starch to thicken (I like to add a couple cans of cream of mushroom mix well then add the corn starch to thicken to your liking). Mix everything back together - big plate full with a large glass of ice cold milk, it's fantastic. And the next day leftovers are even better yet.

The pressure cooker really breaks down the meat fibers and it completely falls apart.

14-Apr-18
I like Elk Stroganoff. gust go on line and find a recipe you like. I use cream of mushroom soup, and add wild mushrooms, chopped onions & garlic. After slow cooking 6-8hours, I add sour cream, and pour it over egg noodles. Very tender & tasty. We've served it many times to non-hunting friends, and they rave about it.

The other way that has been a big hit is Fondue. We have a meat pot that is hot oil, and a pot that is a cheese fondue. I marinade the elk lightly in teriyaki sauce. Cut up sourdough french bread, apples, & asparagus for the cheese fondue.

14-Apr-18
I use the same Stroganoff recipe as Dooner, but I add a little Worcestershire sauce to taste. I also make stew in the pressure cooker (one of the new easy to use electrics), and also add some Worcestershire sauce to that at the very end as well, sometimes a little wine. It only takes about 25 minutes in the pressure cooker for it all to be falling apart tender.

14-Apr-18

14-Apr-18

bad karma's Link
Here is a recipe for a seven chile chili. Add a little more chocolate...and tomatoes if you wish. It's not a stew, but it's also not that spicy. If you can't get the seven, use 5 chiles, or use some powder.

Trust me, this one is a 4 star winner.

15-Apr-18
Green chili stew is the best thing to make with about any meat. Its simple also. I just brown the meat in garlic salt, throw it in a pot with several cans of chicken broth, a couple onions, celery, carrots, some garlic and Hatch green chili. Let it simmer for 30 minutes or so and then add potatoes and cook until taters are done. Serve with tortillas and shredded cheese.

15-Apr-18
Learn to make a good roux. Look up Hank Shaws sauce piquante. Once you nail a roux though you can freeball it with whatever ya got. Cajun or creole whichever it was that figured that out nailed the best stew.

15-Apr-18
Tapioca ??what does that do Paul?

15-Apr-18
One bottle of Bloody Mary mix. One pound of stew meat. 4 potato 4 carrots one onion and some celery . Brown meat . Add veggies to mix with equal water and one pack of beef stew mix. Combine meat . Heat on medium for 1 hour . Turn it off and let it sit . Put it in the frig and reheat and eat next day. Best stew you ever had!!

16-Apr-18
Bake, Elk stew is my favorite dinner of all time! I am a pretty lousy cook as well but elk stew is one dinner that I usually get right. Rather than try to type out step-by-step directions, I'd encourage you to do a google search for "best ever beef stew". There will be a lot of good recipes that pop up and you can find one with the ingredients and spices that fit your taste. Whatever recipe you decide to go with, I'd recommend seasoning your meat with salt and pepper, dusting it with flower, and browning it in cast iron before putting it in the crock pot. I would also dice up your yellow onions and cook them up in the same skillet before transferring them. Also, I really like using a product called "Better Than Bouillon" for my broth (it's a paste rather than an powdered cube). Now that I've cooked it so much, I usually modify the recipe -- it's pretty hard to screw it up! I'd recommend going heavy on the onion, using thyme and oregano, adding a small can of Rotel, and adding some mushrooms. Hope this helps.

• Sitka Gear