Butternut40 16-Apr-18
wilbur 16-Apr-18
wilbur 16-Apr-18
Brotsky 16-Apr-18
OFFHNTN 16-Apr-18
Bou'bound 16-Apr-18
Hunt98 17-Apr-18
15-Apr-18
I’ve turkey hunted while it has snowed a few flurries or a winters’ snow that hasn’t melted in the shady areas.

One spot I hunt had about 1.5 feet of snow still on the ground last weekend. It melted somewhat during the week. But this weekend it snow about another foot and possibly more this Wednesday when our turkey season opens.

I’m expecting there to be around 2 feet of snow on the ground next weekend.

Normally there is no snow during our turkey season.

Do you have any tips or techniques for hunting turkey in that much snow?

15-Apr-18

HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
HUNT MAN's embedded Photo

15-Apr-18
A lot depends upon the area and how much turkeys migrate and spread out from their winter range. Here in Colo deep snow would concentrate them at lower elevation. The turkeys in that situation may follow the snow line up in elevation as the snow melts. Where I hunt in Nebraska turkeys tend to congregate in large flocks all winter and then spread out and move 20 to 50 miles once the snow melts. Depending upon the unit you hunt it make take longer for turkeys to return to their "usual" haunts as they move from their winter ranges to strutting/nesting grounds if there is deep snow.

If you hunt areas with resident flocks it's just a matter of getting out and finding them. Obviously the snow melts quicker on windswept and south facing slopes. You may also keep feed in consideration. What are the turkeys eating the time of year you are hunting?

Here in Colo it's the opposite situation this spring. Where I hunt it's so dry that the creeks where I hunt are totally dry. The turkeys have moved out of the area and are likely higher or around springs that are still running.

15-Apr-18
Yah, go home! Been hunting in Nebraska blizzard. Going home tomorrow. To northern Minnesota! I think the jokes on me!

15-Apr-18

Tonybear61's embedded Photo
Up in the trees at midday
Up in the trees at midday
I saw a number of them in Central MN in between storm cells while scouting for Wed. opener.

Looks like they are staying in the trees or on top of cover wherever they can find it. I sat in on a research presentation in Madelia some years ago, presenter told the audience they can handle -70 windchills if they can find enough food.

15-Apr-18

This guy was flaring out for the hens in the next two trees
This guy was flaring out for the hens in the next two trees

15-Apr-18
Anybody know how to get their DSD Jake set up in the tree tops? With all the snow we have I’ll try anything!

15-Apr-18
Brotsky.....I’m betting Dave Smith has gotten a bunch of feedback from guys in the midwest this spring. I’m sure stake extensions are in the works. Snow camo, of course.

Or, maybe some kind of adaptor, retrofit for the MAD treecoy tree.

15-Apr-18
Spent the weekend in Wisconsin for the youth opener and had challenges I've never had or thought of having, like frozen ground that was so rock hard I had no ability to get blind or decoy stakes in and snow so deep in spots I couldn't walk through it. The turkeys oddly enough were fairly well behaved in regards to getting off the roost around 6:30 am and going about their daily business. They definitely hung closer to cover, which in this case was tall pines, but they moved all day. They also crossed open fields straight into the teeth of 30mph+ wind, which surprised me, but if there was food on that path they were going to take it.

We only had about 10-12 inches of snow but with a foot and a half I might think about creating a "trail" for them if you know their general roosting area and where they might be headed for food. I unintentionally did this a few years back when we got dumped on in May and was shocked how many turkey tracks there were in my own trail when I came back for my afternoon hunt.

The one bonus of snow is you can get a really good feel of their travel patterns so at least there's that. Good luck!

16-Apr-18
We had 14” on Saturday and now they are calling for 8” more on Wednesday. I can’t even access any of the normal spots I hunt right now because the snow is balls deep on an NBA center. I know the turkeys are still doing turkey stuff I just can’t get to them. This weekend is Half Pint’s last good chance to score this spring here in SD. Praying for a miracle, I think we may try sledding in! Ha!

16-Apr-18
Brotsky: Where are you located? I'll be hunting a few miles NW of Rapid City starting Thursday. What can I expect from a snow standpoint? Thanks! JAW

16-Apr-18
Brotsky that's pretty deep lol. I saw bunch on roost this morning displaying for the hens. I don't think the flocks will break up anytime soon.

16-Apr-18

wilbur's embedded Photo
wilbur's embedded Photo
As with any type of hunting you need to scout before you set up. It's a whole lot easier to call any critter to a spot where they already want to be. Do your homework and I'm sure you'll get an opportunity.

16-Apr-18

wilbur's embedded Photo
wilbur's embedded Photo

16-Apr-18
JAW, hardly any snow to speak of at all out west. I'm in the southeastern part of the state. Your hunt should be great!

Butternut, totally agree, they are feeling it but they are also in survival mode. Supposed to warm up next week, at least to normal anyway!

16-Apr-18
This past weekend I found out how difficult it is to get decoy stakes into frozen ground when there is not enough snow to hold them up.

16-Apr-18
just wait for it to melt. it's a turkey,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, he is not going anywhere.

17-Apr-18
I plan on using snow shoes to create a packed down trail that turkeys might use. I’ll bring the trails past treestands that I plan to hunt out of. Hopefully the turkeys will follow the script.

• Sitka Gear