tradmt 17-Apr-18
bud 17-Apr-18
Buglmin 17-Apr-18
Muddyboots 17-Apr-18
Two Feathers 17-Apr-18
Buffalo1 17-Apr-18
Treeline 17-Apr-18
16-Apr-18
Been shooting my recurve a bunch lately in the back yard, and am finally becoming proficient enough to actually start thinking about hunting with it. I know there is no one answer, and also know every opinion is subjective, but wanted some opinions on Broadheads. I will probably start with whitetails this fall, and will limit my shots to 25 yards and in. I’m shooting a Bear Kodiak recurve, 55 lbs at 28”, with a 29” draw length. Arrows are Easton XX75 traditional cut to 30” with 5” feathers and 125 grain tips - around 525 grains total weight, give or take. Thanks for any replies and advice! >———> Poudre

16-Apr-18
Ace, Zwickey are just a few. But you might want to go to the Leatherwall and read up, it is stickbow site.

16-Apr-18

Ken Moody Safaris's embedded Photo
Ken Moody Safaris's embedded Photo
Kudupoint

16-Apr-18
Muzzy buzz cuts are another good choice. Make sure you stay with a cut on contact, absolutely no mechanicals.

TMBB

16-Apr-18
I shoot almost identical setup. I shoot magnus stingers and lately have preferred the buzzcut version. Worked well on both moose and whitetails. COC and get those arrows flying like darts to be sure all energy is transfered and you’re in the money!

16-Apr-18
tough to beat a zwickey or a stinger

16-Apr-18
Any of the above OR a Thunderhead. I also like Wensel Woodsman's.

16-Apr-18
I really like 3-blade broadheads and the VPA 3 bladed broadheads are really good. Stingers as mentioned above work well for a 4-blade. For a 2-blade, look at the Cutthroat.

16-Apr-18
I use 3 blade woodsmans or VPAs.

16-Apr-18
I shoot a 53lb RD longbow, and 52lb recurve...both WhippenStick customs. Your setup will be lethal on whitetails.

The cut on contact is a good choice...my favs are Zwickey Delta 2 blade, Wensel Woodsman 3 blade, and Grizzly single bevel 2 blade. But...you need to have the ability and patience to get em SHARP. If not, I'd lean towards Muzzy 3 blade, or Muzzy Phantom 4 blade. The Phantom IS a COC head, but comes ready to rock...they're my 30 year old son's fav, and he shoots a 56lb longbow. We both get full pass through hits...they're a lethal weapon in skilled hands...light, whisper quiet, and surprisingly fast.

I prefer a bow quiver while the lad goes with one in his pack.

Word of warning though...sticks are addictive! Fun to shoot...I haven't touched a compound for over 30 years. Take a look at the WTA site and check out some trad shoots this summer. Great, helpful guys...a rendezvous feel. There's some real good ones. Horicon is my go to every year...we hook up with guys from around the state, and have a ball.

16-Apr-18
Oops...I thought I was on the "Wisconsin" page...so, you prolly won't make any of those shoots...lol.

Sorry 'bout that.

16-Apr-18
Ian, my hunting partner and I have killed somewhere around 67 elk, plus a whole lot of other big critters, most all with stickbows. Until recently my favorite was a 125 grain 3 or 4 blade Muzzy with the trocar tip sharpened in a stone to be "COC". Our bow weights range from 53-58#, arrow weights around 450-460.

Lately I've gravitated to the Iron Will because I believe it is the best all-around broadhead made today.

You are going to get 1000 different opinions on this. Let me know when you are free and let's grab a beer and discuss.

16-Apr-18
There are lots of great choices, in either 2 or 3 blade. Two keys - cut on contact, and the ability to get them SHARP. Personally, I've had good success with Woodman, Grizzly single bevel and 3 blade Instincts, VPA's, and Zwickey. All are good, and there are other good choices as well.

16-Apr-18

Buffalo1's embedded Photo
Buffalo1's embedded Photo
Zwickey 2-blade Eskimoes & a sack of different weight & size adapters. They are yours if your willing to send refund me for postage after your receive them.

16-Apr-18
PoudreCanyon if you interested in this offer, PM me with your postal mailing info.

16-Apr-18
Why don't you make the pilgramidge to rmsgear, they have a great selection and you might be able to actually shoot them before you buy. They have a big collection of loose broadheads. It would be worth the trip!

16-Apr-18
You say you shoot a Bear Kodiak recurve, so I would recommend using the old Bear razorheads. I have been using them since the late 1960’s, and they haven’t failed me yet with my traditional equipment.

17-Apr-18
What do old Bear Razorheads have to do with shooting a Bear Kodiak? Does that require wearing a wannabe Fedora too?

Not trying to stir the pot, but I don't understand what one has to do with the other. Nostalgia?

17-Apr-18
And don't forget your fiberglass shafts as well. :)

9/10 of the "trad" scene is wannabe crap, which is totally fine, if that's your thing but, .. just own it!! Instead of insisting that every new product to come along is inferior to anything pre 1970.

17-Apr-18
Ground hunter, they are very similar to the DRTs are they not? I’ve had good success with them too

17-Apr-18
I've shot a lot of heads from my struggle stiks, and has always loved the Muzzy Phantom. When Muzzy bought them in the early 2000's, the quality went way up. I really liked the Solid head, great head, flippin tough and flies perfect. But do yourself a favor and look into the Kudu Points. I started shooting them last year, and they are by far one of the toughest heads I've had the chance to use and abuse. I trust the Kudu Point to hold up no matter what I shot it through.

17-Apr-18
At 55# i really don't think you need to limit yourself on broadhead choice, other than maybe avoiding mechanical heads. So many good broadheads now to choose from... but if you prefer a more 'traditional' style head, I think the Wensel Woodsman is a great choice, or any Zwickey. Don't know if any of this is 'wannabe crap' or not, but I second the recommendation for Muzzy Phantoms.

17-Apr-18
Lou, it has nothing to do with shooting a Bear Kodiak....like you said, just nostalgia. I not only use them with my Bear bows, but also with my Bob Lee and RER bows.

17-Apr-18
Ok, understood. So long as you don't wear a Fedora or a Borsalino you're ok! :-)

The Muzzy Phantom is another great head in the Bear/ Zwickey style but with a bit better overall integrity. I sure hope the Rage people don't do anything to screw that one up.

17-Apr-18
Thanks to all for the input - the muzzy phantom is one I have been considering. Local Walmart’s have had some great close out deals on them.

17-Apr-18
When you put a sharp object through both lungs, the animal is stone dead in about 12 seconds. If you put a sharp object twice as large through only one lung,....who knows how long it may live.

The shallower the blade angle, the less resistance there is to penetration, the less surface area you have, i.e..2 blade vs 3 blade, the less resistance to penetration. I have killed animals with 1" wide 2 blades as well as large 3 blade mechanicals and everything in between and overall the time to death is a toss up, providing complete penetration was achieved, although I have to say I believe the distance traveled is less for the narrow coc heads, less traumatic at Impact I suspect.

The next thing is blood trails, and I have had great and not so great with all of them, it just depends on the angle, penetration, what was hit and where the exit is.

17-Apr-18
I've hunted with most common ones mentioned but never heard of the kudu point. That kudu point looks awesome kind of like a Simmons tree shark.

17-Apr-18
If you're gonna use the Phantoms and decide to shoot a small carbon shaft, like the Axis or a micro diameter shaft, use the Easton broadhead ring behind the head. Hit's to bone, even ribs, will push the bleeder blade up the shaft. It's happened several times to me and friends that shoot the Phantom.

17-Apr-18
Zwickeys are good- can't go wrong with them.

17-Apr-18
I would stick with a cut on contact head.

17-Apr-18
I appears that PoudreCanyon is going with Phantoms. Therefore my free offer listed is above for Zwickey BH's and adapters is open to anyone who is willing to reimburse for postage.

17-Apr-18
Greg, I have a bigger pile of them than you do or I would jump on the offer. Killed a boatload of critters with those heads over the years.

Great offer for a guy getting started for sure!

• Sitka Gear