Hunt98 20-Apr-18
EmbryOklahoma 20-Apr-18
Paul@thefort 20-Apr-18
HULLHEAVER 21-Apr-18
Bake 21-Apr-18
Hunt98 22-Apr-18
OFFHNTN 23-Apr-18
19-Apr-18
Last year I got a turkey and I was hunting by myself. I was using my iPhone with the self timer to take pictures. I had a heck of a time setting the self timer off, get in the picture, getting the tail fanned out, etc... before the picture is was taken.

Is there an easy way of getting a good photo of your self and the harvested turkey when you are by yourself?

19-Apr-18
Film then screen shot

19-Apr-18

smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
Lay bird on ground. Lay a log or similar under the birds legs. Spread the wings. From that prepared position all you'll need to do is hop behind and spread the tail with your hand.

Oh yeah...disguise the Magnus-lopped off head as necessary LOL

19-Apr-18

JTreeman's embedded Photo
JTreeman's embedded Photo
Some really handy tripod/shutter remote control kits available on Amazon. Most in the $20 range. This is the one I have been using, no idea the brand. Just search for “iPhone tripod kit” or something like that.

—jim

19-Apr-18
Yep, “selfie remote”. It pairs with your smartphone and you just fire away from behind the animal. Easy Peasey! Walmart has them for $5 bucks with free shipping online!

19-Apr-18

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
I’m just trying to take Idyll-like photos ;)

Seriously though, a little tripod and a little blue tooth remote works well

19-Apr-18
Selfie stick that has the handle that doubles as a tripod and they come with a Bluetooth remote picture taker thing if you order the right one. Think I paid about $10 on Amazon

19-Apr-18
Bake, you gonna have to try a little harder to be crappier it you wanna be IkeEsque. That is like museum quality compared to some of his!

—jim

19-Apr-18
Bake you need to be careful mixing Sitka and Kuiu. Could cause some kind of tear in the space time continuum.

Nice pic by the way!

19-Apr-18
Is that the latest locator call from Flextone, Bake?!

19-Apr-18
T-Roy . . . It smokes and will give you cancer too ;)

19-Apr-18
Yup, Bluetooth remote. Got one for using with the PhoneSkope. No blurry pics on high magnification.

19-Apr-18

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
90% of my hunts (turkeys and big game) I am solo. I have developed the trick of taking photos of myself. I use a tripod (carry it anyways for glassing) and use a camera.

I do the self timer on the camera and run around and get in the shot. It’s Really not that hard and I can get some decent photos all by myself. I’ve used remote shutters too. They make it easier but I’ve just stuck with the simple basic timer and tripod

Photos are very important to me. A big part of the hunt and memories.

19-Apr-18

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
Here’s another Different bird different year.

19-Apr-18

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
And one last just to show the point. This time I had a buddy. But I wanted to get a pic and to preserve the memory. So Tripod and timer it was

19-Apr-18
A tripod and a remote make pictures easier for sure.

19-Apr-18

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
That first pic is epic Justin, I agree with the tripod and whatever camera with a timer works.

19-Apr-18

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Here’s one I did last year with the iPhone and a self timer. I like to get the bird positioned where I only need to scamper behind it and then fan out the tail before the timer runs out.

19-Apr-18

skipmaster1's embedded Photo
skipmaster1's embedded Photo

20-Apr-18
I don't carry a tripod around so I'll usually stick my knife in a tree about chest high and balance my phone on that with the timer. If I really wanted to go balls to the wall I have a phone holder designed to clip into a truck ac vent I could use with that. I've used the video/screenshot trick too but can usually get a decent photo with the timer.

20-Apr-18

Dan Mallia's embedded Photo
Dan Mallia's embedded Photo
Good advice all. I’ve never thought about the video and screenshot option as well, I’ve always set everything up and then scampered behind the bird before the timer gets to zero.

Amongst small tripods, remote shutters and other phone holders, I invested in a turkey fan favorite fan holder so that’s one less thing I have to deal with when getting behind the bird.

20-Apr-18
There is an app that works well. It is called Photo Timer+. You can set it up to take a string of pictures and set it for different time settings. It is a free app that has worked for me.

20-Apr-18
It sure would make photos easier having something that keeps the tail feathers fanned out while taking photos. I noticed the post above in regard to the turkey fan favorite. It looks like it may work but is $20. I went to the website but it didn't say anything on how it work or show any close up photos. Does anyone have anything they made for cheap to keep the tail feathers flaired?

20-Apr-18
Ermine, How do you get the tail to fan out like the one on the tree branch?

20-Apr-18
Bake... LOL! That's money!

Ermine, he's got it down. I've seen family pics of his where it was obvious he just ran from the camera.

Nice pics all. Maybe the Cali boys can chime in too... :)

20-Apr-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Like others, I also like to have a decoy or two in the picture. Yes, a small tripod and a self-timer. My camera allows me to take 1 or 3 pictures at a time, with the self timer. Plenty of time to set up. Plan the set up before hand and if the picture does not come out, keep shooting more.

21-Apr-18
Bake---dead ringer for Blake Shelton!

21-Apr-18
I’m a better singer. But that’s not the first time I’ve heard that either ;)

22-Apr-18

Hunt98's embedded Photo
Hunt98's embedded Photo
Thanks for all your posts. I did do the video and screen shot last year... is the picture quality resolution reduce by doing that vs. taking a single picture?

I was fortunate to get a turkey this year. I did do the video/screen shot again. It turned ok for my needs.

23-Apr-18

OFFHNTN's embedded Photo
OFFHNTN's embedded Photo
I get the bird spread out, prop my camera up on my backpack, hit the self timer, and boogey in behind it.

• Sitka Gear