Boreal 29-Apr-18
Bou'bound 29-Apr-18
COHOYTHUNTER 29-Apr-18
Trial153 29-Apr-18
23-Apr-18

Shrewski's embedded Photo

Shrewski's Link
I was able to go to SCI this year. While I was at the Sitka Gear booth I spent a lot of time going over the new Apex pieces. I forgot I had pre ordered it and was VERY pleased to see this box waiting for me after a trying day at work.

23-Apr-18

The most intriguing piece of the Apex (to me) is the Apex Hoodie. It is a WOOL blend. They have blended the merino with some nylon so it keeps its shape and basically springs back after stretching. I’d call it a mid weight; perfect for throwing over a base layer shirt and chasing bugles.

It has a nice kangaroo pocket low on the shirt (below your bino harness) for “stuff”. Just to give a size I put my 10-15 Leica Duovids in it and snapped a pic. You can see there are also two smaller divided pockets in there as well.

23-Apr-18

The hoodie has the normal built in face mask you can easily get on or out of the way but it has a twist I have not ever had on a shirt...elbow pads.

I love all my Sitka pants that have the knee pads and I can see right away these elbow pads will be something I’m not going to want to give up going forward. I snapped a couple pics of the pad and pocket as it is well thought out and shaped.

The other thing I noticed are certain areas of the shirt (like around the elbow pads) have “bumps” to promote air circulation. Brilliant.

23-Apr-18
All Sitka, all the time.

Simply the best!

23-Apr-18

The Apex pants. I’d say they are right between the Ascent and the Mountain pants in weight; really September perfect in my mind. They have the articulated knee pad I have grown to love and the entire interior of the pant has those same circulation promoting fabric bumps. Love that non slip band around the waist to keep your shirt tucked in.

I think this will be a great set for turkey hunting too and am glad it got here now.

23-Apr-18
Nice! Mine is on the way as well. Really gonna be a nice multi purpose set I believe.

23-Apr-18

I got the Apex pack as well. This is not a haul out your elk pack, this is a stealthy day pack. It sits low on your shoulders and molds around your back. It’s got lots of typical Sitka organization pockets. I stuffed some clothes in and a bugle tube and snapped a couple pics.

23-Apr-18
Ok...when I try to rotate the second pack photo, no matter which “image tools” box I tap, I have the first image showing???

23-Apr-18
I can’t figure out that one either Shrewski. The pack looks like it would be a nice tree stand pack as well?

23-Apr-18
Kota-for sure. It may be my turkey vest too; lots of nice little belt organizer pockets.

23-Apr-18
Nice pattern.

24-Apr-18

Bou-I think it is their best pattern yet. I do buy into their “science of nothing”. But it sure helps IMO when it blends in to the human eye as well. Hunting elk in September for two weeks in AZ I was never picked off as close as 5’. Was also perfect for late November on Kodiak I apologize this is a rifle buck but think it shows how nice the browns blend in.

24-Apr-18

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
The pattern is fantastic. I'm an admitted Kuiu fan boy but this apex set has my interest. I absolutely love the sub-alpine. Hunting with my daughter decked out in it the past year has convinced me it is the best pattern out there right now easily for the terrain we hunt.

24-Apr-18
BY FAR the best pattern in the industry for western hunting...

24-Apr-18
I used the subalpine pattern in the mountain pants last year in Alaska, and after looking at photos and video I noted that the pattern almost changes color as its background. Sometimes the same pants look more brown and other times look more green. I talked to John Barklow from Sitka who helped design the pattern, and he agreed to this chameleon affect. I have not tried the Apex yet, but hope to this season. Mike

24-Apr-18
Good review and great looking gear.

24-Apr-18
Ahhh, Steve, way to go...Was debating and that may be over now! Lol

24-Apr-18
So the apex. Just has merino wool to the mix.?

25-Apr-18
Ermine—yes, the hoody is 230g, 17.5 micron merino blended to nylon to give it the stretch and rerun to normal. It’s soft like cashmere on the inside but more durable yet still super quiet on the outside. According to the guys from Sitka in Bozeman that I talked with at the show the whole Apex line was done with “quiet” as a priority. They have some super high tech silent room now with all kinds of testing and listening equipment where they can classify and quantify the noise coming off each piece of clothing. One of the whitetail guys was there and he was really excited about what is to come in those pieces in the future.

25-Apr-18
I'm rather simple minded so excuse my ignorance as I've never touched any Sitka hoody: how does the face mask easily go from "on" to "off"? Is it either in front of your face or behind your head? Thanks for the good photos. That camo looks like it would work in a lot of places.

25-Apr-18
Yes Sitka facemask is either in front or behind. Very easy, very effective. I've been using mine on the Core Lightweight Hoody base layer and love the feature!

25-Apr-18
If you have the facemask in the “front” position, you can also pull it down under your chin out of the way. It’s pretty slick. Fits good around glasses to for us poor slobs that are handicapped in that ways as well.

25-Apr-18
Steve, Apex Pants compared to Mountain?

25-Apr-18
Ike—Apex are lighter weight than Mountain no doubt.

I’ve worn Timberline and Mountain pants interchangeably from -23 to say 50. Ascents I find good good from HOT down to say 50. I see the Apex pants with the sweet spot of 30-60, still comfortable above and light base layer below.

IMO they are an even more improved version of the last (2014 I think) iteration of the 90% pant.

25-Apr-18
Awesome...I'm with you, wear my Timberlines with a layer depending and they'll go well below-0...Thanks for the review!

27-Apr-18
If the pants are the same as the top, they will be perfect for August/September. I really liked the last version of the 90% pants but they really never got much love. These actually appear to be kind of similar. Got my top today, and it is an awesome piece. The weight is between the Heavyweight and the lightweight, similar in weight but different features than the Fanatic Hoodie. I like the Fanatic, but I like this one better. I'd prefer a hand muff to the pocket, but I can live with it. This set will see a ton of use this fall.

27-Apr-18
Why oh why did they make those tight leg pants? I'd buy a pair today if they were cut like the 90% pants. I can't stand pants tight around my lower legs. . . .

27-Apr-18
Kota— no wool in the pants, but they do remind me a lot of the latest 90% they had. I’d say those bumps give them a bit more “venting”

Bake, I’m pretty sure the closer cut legs legs are another step in the “quiet” arena...any contact can give the “swoosh”.

27-Apr-18
I understand, but it's a little ridiculous in my uneducated opinion.

27-Apr-18
Everybody fits a bit different. I was pleased that Sitka chopped a little out of the lower leg. A little less fabric to swish and make noise and fits me just fine.

27-Apr-18
Me too! I agree that less girth in the lower leg is welcome.

27-Apr-18

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
Yea I like the fit of the new accents. I like the “skinny jean” fit of Sitka . Not a fan of baggy gang banger pants. But then again I also shoot pink vanes hahah

27-Apr-18
Lol...^^^

27-Apr-18
;). As a chunky fella, I guess I just prefer that “relaxed fit” between “skinny jean” and “gangbanger baggy”.

It’s too bad, I do like their new camo.

27-Apr-18
For what the "gear" cost they shouldn't be giving you the knee pads it should be the other way around.

27-Apr-18
What do you mean?

29-Apr-18
Ermine...I believe he’s saying Sitka should be wearing the knee pads. ;). The Apex stuff is nice. Really nice. I don’t mind paying for really nice.

29-Apr-18
didnt take long to hear bitching about prices. It gets tedious how of it brought into any tread. Really if you have nothing to add to the discussion the stay out of it. when a walmart clothing tread opens up then jump in with both feet with your infinite experience.

I decide to order the pants as well. Hoping they work better then the latest ascent pants that i hated. lucky for my I have two pairs of the orginal ascents that are like new, open country and tan. If the apex doesnt work i can always return them.

I also ordred the newest version the down hoody the windstoper ...i can see me liking that glassing.

29-Apr-18
Where do you guys buy your Sitka gear?

29-Apr-18
Online. Check eBay for new stuff

29-Apr-18
Mountain archery.com has new stuff so does Scheels

29-Apr-18
One shot gear, coupon code on Rokslide. Bean outdoors...email him. Mt Archery

• Sitka Gear