Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Rompola Buck
Rompola Buck
Anybody see this buck shot in southern Ontario, Canada?

Looks like this buck might be an offspring of the Rompola buck...

Ears are kind of droopy too...

01-May-18
That's crazy! Which area in southern Ontario? Southern Ontario is 1,000 miles across width wise. Interested if it came relatively close to where Rompola hunted.

01-May-18
Chatham-Kent area.

01-May-18
Ha ha, Oh man, and the intrigue only grows...right on the Michigan border...

01-May-18
Nice, Mike, you little pot stirrer! Just when the Mitchy boy thread cooled down you stoked 'er up! Very similar built rack, however Mitch's has some serious inches on it on the g3s and g2s.

Pat needs to work on an exclusive with Mitch. I would absolutely enjoy hearing that interview. "Mitch Tells All."

01-May-18

01-May-18
I hear ya Duke, maybe the Ontario hunter should have given him another year or two...?

01-May-18
Oh geez Mike this thread will blow up again. You're right though, that buck is like a twin. Wonder if this guy would take the 20k for a x-ray??

01-May-18
Need X-rays stat! No deer has ever had droopy ears like that. Fake news!

01-May-18
WOW<< That is crazy! The G4s even kick out in the same way Mitch's buck does!

01-May-18
No deer has horns: EDIT seasonal bone structures, that come off the head that flat. Because I can’t shoot a deer that big I’m crying foul.

01-May-18
Link, no deer has horns, period.

Boom roasted.

01-May-18
What term would you use?

01-May-18
Antlers.

Slow day at the office today for me.

01-May-18
Antlers.. They are Antlers!! The horn thing drives me crazy too. Antlers fall off each year and grow again. Horns are on a cow and do not fall off and re grow. Period.

The more we can educate on this the smarter the hunting community will be/sound. sheesh.

01-May-18

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
What is an antler? This is what Webster has to say. Maybe I could just call it a rack. ;)

Personally I don’t like using the word antler. It makes me feel like some tofu eating city slicker that’s talking about the branched horns on a reindeer. ;) Either way who cares, besides you two horny policeman. :)

01-May-18
VERY interesting! ;-)

01-May-18
I think anyone who tries to make themselves look smart or someone else look dumb by correcting them on the antler/horn thing makes themselves look like a jack ass. We all know what someone is talking about when they say horns.

01-May-18
What about a pronghorn?! They shed the sheath each year!

01-May-18
the Ontario buck looks awesome..... the other one.... well

01-May-18

What about this one? I watched him shoot it on the video and it's ears were drooping when it was alive...

Couldn't the buck with the biggest rack in the world also have the droopiest ears in the world, or the widest skull/pedicles in the world...? I once watched a video by an elk expert/biologist who said that elk pedicles spread and widen due to the heavy rack as a bull matures. Couldn't a freakishly large whitetail do the same thing?

You're comparing the ears of the Rompola buck to the ears of other "normal" bucks when clearly nothing about the Rompola buck is "normal". I'm not saying that the Rompola buck is legit, but if it is, it is clearly a freak and you might not be able to compare anything about it, including ears, gonads, etc. to any other buck that lived...

Also, the right ear on the Rompola buck might have hung lower if it wasn't resting on the deer's neck...

01-May-18
I 2nd the Bowsite exclusive with Mitch! I would love to listen to that!

That Ontario buck is awesome.

01-May-18
And all this time I thought everyone was talking about Mitch’s ears!! Y’all been talking about the deer this whole time?? :)

01-May-18
Chatham and North about 100 miles from east to west is a real sleeper band for whitetail genetics. Maybe 10% of the big deer are entered into any kind of book.

02-May-18
Correct. Pronghorn loose their sheath.. But it's not an antler or a horn. Just use the right word guys and nobody will have a problem :) So, if you want to get technical you can read below.

The horn sheath of the Pronghorn is different from either the antlers of deer or the true horns of cattle or Bison. Antlers are shed annually and are made of bone. True horns are never shed and are made of compressed hair (keratin) growing on a bony core. The horn sheath of a Pronghorn is a little of both. Pronghorn www.gpnc.org/pronghor.htm

With that said, I think Mitch's deal is real and the floppy ears has nothing to do with it being fake. It is not uncommon to have floppy ears after a deer has been dead a while. We've all seen it.

02-May-18

grindersonly's embedded Photo
grindersonly's embedded Photo
Look at those droopy ears, does anyone want to pay me 20k to get an xray on it?

02-May-18
No, but I'd gladly pay 20k to watch you get that out of there solo without a truck, ATV, or deer cart!

02-May-18
An impressive animal no doubt, but a lot of air in that measurement. I don't like how the scoring systems value spread.

02-May-18
Was able to drive the truck right to him fortunately.

03-May-18

LINK's embedded Photo
I’ve seen guys that haven’t killed anything over 130” pass deer like this 160 because they wanted something 18-20” wide. Smh
LINK's embedded Photo
I’ve seen guys that haven’t killed anything over 130” pass deer like this 160 because they wanted something 18-20” wide. Smh
I think the width measurement is fair. I’ve seen guys pass on 160” deer because they were only 14-15 inches wide. I try to explain if they were 19” it would only add 4” to the score, maybe add beam length if indeed they were longer but that’s not a given.

• Sitka Gear