smarba 03-May-18
WV Mountaineer 03-May-18
Barty1970 04-May-18
WV Mountaineer 04-May-18
Hoytbowhunter 04-May-18
Surfbow 04-May-18
DonVathome 04-May-18
03-May-18
Can it work? I can use the 2,500 expanding section for tent etc. I am fine with the badlands 4500 (except it weighs 7#) for a week. I figure the 3000 + 2500 is good enough to fit everything for 7 days. Do you agree?

03-May-18
It’ll work. Camp and food in the shelf. Everything else in the bag.

03-May-18
Yes but for the price of Kuiu's bags (not overly expensive) you could put the 6000 on your frame. I like having all my stuff inside rather than lashed on. Also have to look at how your weight will be distributed as you place items in the expanding area and try to put heavier things there and lighter things in the bag.

I haven't used the expanding area much. I tried it with a full bag of deboned meat and that did not go very well as it tended to slip out between the straps. I imagine it would be much better with an entire quarter, but I never carry out the bones. Likewise it may work to lash a bigger item such as your tent, but if you try to lash a bunch of loose items such as food, fuel, stove, etc. even if inside a bag it may not ride there very well.

Just food for thought.

Carl

03-May-18
Yes, it can work. I've used the 1850 and hunted elk for a week in the early season. I used a lightweight dry bag and put all of my food and camp stuff in it and secured it to the "load shelf". I didn't bring a lot of optics nor clothes due to the warm conditions.

I've since switched brands to a frame that carries weight more comfortably.

03-May-18
Carl, I've packed a lot of meat in the load shelf both boned and not. It is much easier with the bones in. If you bone the meat you have to really be careful with how you lash it into the load shelf.

03-May-18
Thx Brotsky, that is what I was getting at: with loose items/meat even inside a bag the load shelf area would greatly benefit from more straps, especially along the bottom.

03-May-18
I wouldn't adjust the bottom out at all for meat loads boned out in a KUIU icon/Icon pro frame. Just loosen the compression straps along the sides, after unbuckling the bag from the frame top. Drop in a bone out meat bag, strap back up, and roll. A full meat bag that that is wedged in there like that is going to weigh in around 80 pounds. So, just leave the bottom of the bag attached. The KUIU kit is not a Kifaru but, that frame is STIFF. If you can carry it, it will do it. And, leaving it attached at the bottom will allow you to still carry a very heavy load of meat securely without needing anymore straps.

04-May-18
'The KUIU kit is not a Kifaru' Now ain't that the truth...buy once, cry once: buy cheap, pay twice

04-May-18
It works man. You know, I ramble out loud a lot of times. Busy when I post inbetween doing things. I sure wish I had that one back. Don’t know why I said that other then to agree with elkstabber in my own mind. Sure had no intention of turning it into that debate.

04-May-18
I recommend checking out camofire. They sell legit stuff up to more than 50% off right now they have a tenzing tz 6000 for $250. It changes every few hours so I’d check it out quick!

04-May-18
The Ultra 3000 can easily do 7 days, you might get a little tired of the thinner shoulder straps though...

04-May-18
Thanks guys, I have not bought much off of camo fire lately but used to a lot.

• Sitka Gear