OFFHNTN 07-May-18
TrapperKayak 07-May-18
Adrenaline Russ 07-May-18
Trial153 07-May-18
Mertyman 07-May-18
TrapperKayak 07-May-18
APauls 07-May-18
04-May-18
Got an e-mail from Michelle and Robert at Munroe Lake. They still have several openings this fall. They have reduced regular price by $1000. With the increasing loss of caribou opportunity, this is a great deal! Great folks, great camp. A number of Bowsiters have done well there! Last season was really good. Thought I'd share

04-May-18
reduced to what?

04-May-18
Steff: Do you know if they still allow two caribou or is the limit down to one? The published price on the ML website is $7,995 for a 5-day hunt. Does the discount really bring the price down to $6,995? That's a good price in this day and age of caribou closings, especially if the hunt is for two caribou. JAW

04-May-18
It's for 2 bulls but you have tax 7.5% and tags 475$ each.

04-May-18
Steff: Do you know if they still allow two caribou or is the limit down to one? The published price on the ML website is $7,995 for a 5-day hunt. Does the discount really bring the price down to $6,995? That's a good price in this day and age of caribou closings, especially if the hunt is for two caribou. JAW

04-May-18
$6995 is the email I got...

04-May-18
Luke, are you heading to Munroe Lake..?...

04-May-18
I'm headed to northern MB on more of a DIY deal this year as well, but looking forward to (hopefully) lots of caribou to introduce to some sharp sticks!

04-May-18
Not yet.... looking into it. Everything will have to line up PERFECT to do it. I'll be getting done moose hunting the day before this hunt starts. SO... there's a chance Dave.

04-May-18
Not sure if 1 or 2 bulls. You'll need to check website. Price is $6995. If I wasn't going to be in NWT those dates chasing mtn 'bou, I'd seriosly consider it.

04-May-18
Uh, maybe it because I'm not rich, but two caribou for $7K is a good deal? Sure, you get a camp, food, drinks (maybe), and comraderie, but really? I'd did a fly-in DYI for far less, I mean maybe $1.5K and got two, in AK. I did have to spend 9 days in a tent with a guy with smelly feet though... :) I just think it can be done for way less, unless $$ is not an object, and you like to be pampered... )

04-May-18
Trapper...Not if you want a "Central Barren Ground" Caribou...$6995 for a CBG Caribou is a good deal. Yes, you can DIY in AK for less, but that is a Barren Ground Caribou. For some it makes no difference. To others, it may make a difference. If you just want to chase a caribou, the drop hunt in Ak is great. Especially if you are a DIY guy.

04-May-18
Your not doing a dyi fly in any place in Alaska anytime soon for 1500 nowadays.

This is a great good price for this hunt. The logistics of getting up there is always a big factor. It’s not a cheap location to get too... that will add cost and time to the total. That said 7k sad to say it is a good deal ...

04-May-18
I understand. Being not single, that precludes me from ever doing it. :/ Is the central barren ground caribou considered a separate species from the barren ground in terms of the NA Species list for 'super slam' or whatever else term that applies to separate big game species in North America? Or are both these sub-species of caribou lumped into one? Thanks.

04-May-18
Trial...Correct. I did DIY in Ak two years ago and believe it was around 5k "all in"...

04-May-18
Trapper...There are five species of caribou that are recognized by Super Slam, Boone and Crockett and Pope and Young: Mountain, Quebec Labador, Barren, Central Barren and Woodland.

04-May-18
Trapper, yes Barren Ground and Central Barren Ground are two different boxes to check off on a "slam"

04-May-18
Are these hunts really 5 days? I have researched CBG caribou hunts and it seems most are 4 1/2 actual hunting days ( if you're lucky and weather doesn't hold you up) . Would be nice if they offered 7 days

04-May-18
$1500 for two caribou in AK, eh? Please post information about that!

04-May-18
$1500? I recall when it was $1600 just to hop the charter from Montreal to Schefferville and back. Actual hunt cost was less.

04-May-18
Seems like a good deal to me. We did Alaska in 15 and just the float plane was 2500 a person. Going to try again this August . Can’t wait

04-May-18

wkochevar's embedded Photo
My 1st bull, missed him with an arrow....got on the board tho!
wkochevar's embedded Photo
My 1st bull, missed him with an arrow....got on the board tho!
This is a very good deal for CBG Caribou. I have no idea if it still include 2 bulls or not but 4 years ago we got delayed 2 days getting into ML camp due to weather and our group of 6 was only one shy of filling out 2/. granted most ended up being rifle kills but still... Can't do much about the weather. It was a very target rich environment that year. Great camp!

04-May-18
Yes, as others have said, there is no cheap way to access the CBGC herds. Northern MB, Nunavut are very hard to access and involve "long" bush plane flights which means high dollars. $7 grand is a great price for that type of hunt. Keep in mind because the cost of getting in is high, as is the cost of getting food, fuel, equipment, boats etc. The hunts up there are expensive, but even at that, outfitters aren't making a killing.

04-May-18
excellent deal. QL caribou were running that for 1 tag prior to closing, but that included travel from montreal.

hunts that short are scary though. you get one day of unhuntable rain and the cost of your "hunting time" just went up 20%. A travel delay (inbound) and a day of rain and it's increased 40%

04-May-18
Already booked my trip. Will have to get in touch with them to see if I can get the discount. Rory

04-May-18
Thanks for the heads up. Emailed Robert.

05-May-18

steff's embedded Photo
steff's embedded Photo
Here's some more of the quality you can expect

05-May-18
Steff, Robert responded to my email and the hunt dates open are 8/31-9/5. I didn't see a single bow kill (at least no guys holding a bow in any of the death pics) just rifle kills. I'm not much for killing stuff with rifles so is getting bow close tough up there? I'm longbow only too, so 30 yards and in for me.

Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

05-May-18
There’s been a few Bowsiters kill with a bow up there. There are areas that are great and areas that are wide open. The area right up behind camp is GREAT for a bow hunter and when they’re moving the animals are there.

06-May-18
CJ, killed this one at 30 yd, my 2nd at 16yd. In the fist few days, had several opportunities 50 - 70.Fairly decent cover in some areas as Cory mentions. On the last day there, herd came through camp with many good bulls under 20yd. It's typical caribou country!

06-May-18
Thanks fellas.

06-May-18
I wish i had the time to squeeze this hunt in I would jump on it.

06-May-18
Ugh!......when I went to Safari Nordik around 2002/03 it was $3200 for everything and that included the two flts from Montreal to Kuujjuaq and then to the camp and 2 tags. Even got a very nice parka jacket out the deal. Looking back, I wished I would have went a 2nd (and 3rd) time.

06-May-18
You got that right JL the price of caribou hunts are insane

06-May-18
Still, one of the cheapest guided hunts there is. Rory

06-May-18
I won't say what I paid in '95 for a great 2 bull hunt in NWT, hard to believe. It was a stretch for guy in his 20's without much disposable income but a steal by todays standards. For $500 we added a flight up to the Tree river and caught char for a day. Shot a wolverine as well.

07-May-18
Congrats Steff!

07-May-18
My costs are obviously outdated. I took a charter with Ketchum Air over to the Lake Clark area, and it was under $800, but that was 20 years ago. I did not think it could have gone up that much. Then price for two 'bou tags and license. Came to around $1500 for lic. and charter. Long time ago. Not realistic now.

07-May-18
HAHA OK that makes more sense Trapper. Not much these days costs the same as it did 20 years ago. Heck, kitchens we did 20 years ago for $5,000 are now $25,000. Even in the last 5-10 years it seems like a bou hunt went from $2500 - $6-7,000 for a MB resident type deal. There is still one guy running resident hunts for $3500 or so, but it's a 3.5 day hunt. Add in any kind of weather and it's too risky for me. I want to enjoy my time up there, maybe get some laker fishing in etc.

07-May-18

OFFHNTN's embedded Photo
OFFHNTN's embedded Photo
OFFHNTN's embedded Photo
OFFHNTN's embedded Photo
Killinstuff - I took these 2 caribou with a bow with Robert and Michelle back in 2013. You just have to get lucky and find them in stalkable places. There area is 50/50 as far as wide open, and some trees/cover. Has a great trip with them.

07-May-18
Let me ask you guys this then. Can you go when the horns are shed out of velvet? I know they are lousy tasting once that happens because of the rut, but if you are mainly concerned with size of antlers, I'd think that getting a nice hard horned rack is more desirable than a velvet one, for me anyway. Is the weather too lousy into Sept., or is it more about meat consumption? Is it feasible to go after them when the rut is on, or are they moving out and not available in the areas hunted by these outfitters? I'd think if that were the case, ie, you weren't trophy hunting, no one would be showing off huge racked animals like this, they'd be taking the first decent sized animal to come along for meat. Myself, I'd want one without velvet. I'd be looking for big antlered ones and not worry about the meat so much because it doesn't hold a candle to elk anyway, IMO. Not even the pre-rut ones I got in AK. They weren't as good eating as deer. If trophy hunting, I'd go for hard horns. I guess that is all up to your own personal preference.

07-May-18
Trapper, the bulls start shedding somewhere between September 5-10th. Lots of opportunities to hunt after they have stripped the velvet as most outfitters will hunt until the 3rd week of September. Rut doesn't really start going until October, so no issue with meat quality. For the ones taken earlier, a lot of hunters strip the velvet off and have the antlers stained. Personally, I prefer hard horned, naturally polished antlers, but that's just a personal choice. I also find the meat excellent throughout the season, but again, that's just my opinion. I am referring to CBGC here, northern MB and Nunavut.

07-May-18
Damn, every pre rut caribou bull has eaten well for me. I’d take it over a whitetail anyway of the week. You want hard horned strip the velvet and toss the rack in the lake for a day or so....

07-May-18
"Damn, every pre rut caribou bull has eaten well for me. I’d take it over a whitetail anyway of the week."

Me too. I also liked every caribou I've had better than any elk I've had!

07-May-18
The two I got, late August, in AK, (Mulchatna) were kinda bland tasting, tasted kind of what lichen smelled like to me. I just wasn't that impressed with the meat quality like I am elk, or even a good fat whitetail. It was tender, but maybe my expectations were too high. I've actually had better tasting woodland mule deer from the mountains south of Bozeman. But that is just me. I am not saying it wasn't good eating, it just wasn't outstanding like some of those others I mentioned. Even antelope was better. Anyway, thanks for the info. Maybe the CBGC eat different browse, not just lichen like where I got them, so they are better eating. I'd go after them If I could justify the dough, but right now that is out of the question. I can afford it, but can't justify it. They look like outstanding trophies though, have fun with them. Looks like a real good hunt regardless of cost. I did strip off the velvet from mine. They look okay, but are a bit pithy on the tips. Needed to polish and stain them.

07-May-18
Congrats on those bulls John! From what I've seen of northern MB there is always some decent country around to stalk a caribou. They're also caribou, not mulies or whitetails. If you screw up it's a 50/50 whether they run or come check you out ;)

I've eaten caribou from many different caribou (all MB) and it's always first class eating. hard horned or velvet doesn't matter. All pre-rut though.

• Sitka Gear