stick slinger 05-May-18
DMC65 05-May-18
Franklin 05-May-18
PECO 06-May-18
BIG BEAR 06-May-18
LBshooter 06-May-18
Tyler 10-May-18
05-May-18
A friend and I are heading to Manitoba first week of June with Ryan Derlago/stickflingers. Last time I went I didn’t do any fishing but we are planning on doing some this year. Any recommendations on rigs and especially lures for pike and pickerel? I’ve never fished for them before

05-May-18
Pike will be the main catch there. I would suggest jerkbaits, Savage swim baits and spoons. There are some big pike in the shallows at that time. Another deadly spring time tactic is a dead smelt on a slip bobber. If you can catch small suckers for live bait you will hook into a lunker.

05-May-18
If you are going after walleye, pick up a tub of "Gulp Alive" and a few jigs.

05-May-18

BIG BEAR's embedded Photo
Dardevle Lures by Eppinger... The 5 of diamonds or the original red and white.... 1 oz or 3/4 oz....... use wire leaders. Buy several...... They are pike killers !!

05-May-18

I just picked up a few more for this year......

05-May-18
Yup, BIG BEAR nailed it. 3/4 - 1 oz Five of diamonds AND steel leaders. I also had great luck with 5" Rapalas .

05-May-18
+1 Big Bear on the baits. Telescopic fishing rod. Reel with about 10-12# line (water is very clear) Fish Glove to handle caught fish.

Make sure camp cook has a good skillet and some cooking oil. Fresh caught fish are great to eat.

05-May-18
Inshart X2.

If you’re going after snot rockets, hammer handles, jacks, etc., definitely bring a pair of needle nose pliers and get a jaw spreader. You’ll thank me later. Good luck!

05-May-18
Don't forget to take some steel leaders.

05-May-18
"snot rockets" lol!

NP are my favorite freshwater fish to eat! Good luck on the bear and fishing!

05-May-18
First time up to MB fishing 25 years ago I hauled a fair amount of gear. Each morning we would start off vertical jigging and caught our lunch of sauger in 15 minutes. Then we would fish for big pike til we got worn out. I hauled a lot of gear but after the first few bucktails and minnow type baits got chewed up bad we only used spoons the rest of the week. Bigger is better. Pointless to ruin other baits on pike and we caught 100's of them.

My only tip, pinch the barbs down on you hooks. It's a requirement on some bodies of water up there but it make releasing them easier. And if you lose a fish, go catch another one.

05-May-18
Take a few Rattle Traps with you. They’re good for Pike and Walleye.

05-May-18
Yep, Chrome Rattletraps work very well.

05-May-18
Silver and gold Williams wobler spoons. You can thank me later. Pike love them. Bigger sizes are the best.

05-May-18
My son and I caught several hundred Pike @ Ganglers a few years ago. Don't use something a thousand other guys have used. We both caught our biggest Pike on unusual baits. His on a fly and mine on a Sebile minnow. I caught over a hundred on a Mepps w/ a willowleaf blade. Everybody that goes up there uses a standard #4 mepps or a DD 5of diamonds.

05-May-18
Johnson’s silver minnows work well also and you don’t have a trebble hook to contend with.

05-May-18
All good info from these guys. Keep it simple and don't be afraid of heavy line and especially good quality ten inch steel leaders . Pike are not line shy! Best advice in my opinion was to pinch the Barb's down on every bait you take. Even deep hooked fish can be unhooked and safely released. Big pike can't take rough handling or being out of water for a long time while removing hooks. They swim off but often go belly up later. For walleye and sauger all you need are lead head jigs in 1/4 and 3/8 oz . Black , white , orange , and chartreuse with curlytail bodies . I like white bodies but yellow and chartreuse catch lots of fish too. Have fun!!!

05-May-18
I asked a Caribou guide what I should use....."He said you can use anything you want as long as it`s a 5 of Diamonds"....I like Big Johnson spoons with rubber trailers and big Zoom like plastics for the weedy stuff.

06-May-18
Growing up in Minnesota, the red with white stripe Daredevil spoon was our go to pike lure.

06-May-18
They spell it weird.... Dardevle..... They've been made in the USA for over a hundred years..... in Dearborn Michigan... about 15 minutes from my home....

06-May-18
Spoons, in-line spinners and rattle traps will do the job. Also, plastic swim baits work well on pike.

10-May-18
All good info above. Top water lures are a lot of fun too getting the Pike airborne! I love catching them on big top water poppers to get away from the traditional spoons and spinners etc. You'll have a great time with Ryan no doubt!

• Sitka Gear