stick n string 10-May-18
Ziek 10-May-18
HULLHEAVER 10-May-18
Lever Action 13-May-18
Rut Nut 14-May-18
Rut Nut 14-May-18
05-May-18

Jaquomo's Link
Ok this isn't a hunter, just a dumbass, but sure is a real look at a bear mauling for those guys who think they might fight one off...

05-May-18
See, you can fix stupid.

05-May-18
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

05-May-18
"dumbass" sums it up quite well. Word was going around that California had to put up signs warning people not to try and take selfies with bears up in the Sierra's. I didn't do diligent fact checking as it was no suprise.

05-May-18
That bear was determined. Didn't care about the dog or people. I wonder how it would've turned out had someone been armed.

05-May-18
Camera man needs a tripod !

05-May-18
Speaking of stupid.

Several years ago while archery hunting in Camp Ripley Military Reservation in central MN, I was switching locations mid-day. I came around the corner and could see about a dozen vehicles parked on both sides of the road with hunters standing around.

As I got to where they were I could see a sow and cub eating on a deer in the ditch. Several were out taking pictures, some as close as 20 or so yards. Most likely the bear took the deer from one of the hunters as he was dragging it out.

05-May-18
They closed Waterton canyon near my home during one summer because there was a sow with a cub, and too many people were going up to mama bear to take selfies.

The better idea may be to bring in a few more sows with cubs, and let natural selection get rid of some of them.

05-May-18
The moral of this story is, "Don't go bear hunting with your smart phone"

05-May-18
A little known fact is this was actually a trained guard bear. Unfortunately, the poor guy didn’t realize the attack command was “Smile”!

05-May-18
Darwin award winner!

05-May-18
Wow stupid, what shocks me, with that many people around why didn’t they run in and help the guy.

05-May-18
I could bearly watch the whole thing .

05-May-18
I wonder how many lives would be saved if smart phone manufacturers eliminated the front facing camera on the phones.

05-May-18
Most of us have done really stupid things that, fortunately, didn’t get us killed or maimed.

They watch Disney in India too and the poor bugger likely didn’t know any better. Same as our tourists.

Horrible way to learn a lesson for the friends and family.

05-May-18
From the looks of it his freinds certainly weren’t in the group of cackling spectators.

05-May-18
If you're gonna be stupid ya best be tough.....

Nobody even had a cricket bat? One guy threw a rock...... shoulda found more rocks...

05-May-18
If it had been in front of that many people in the US, someone would have been packing heat thanks to the second amendment. It's hard to watch....

05-May-18
Our collective empathy is heartwarming

05-May-18
Why are the people standing around talking instead of grabbing sticks or rocks and beating on that bear?!

05-May-18
They aren’t all standing around!!

One of them is recording!!

05-May-18
I forgot they are nonviolent and maybe think that the bear is a relative reincarnated.

06-May-18
Ahhh yes... good ole natural selection at its finest!!

06-May-18
Until 10 yrs. ago I used to catch rattlesnakes with a stick and my hands. Gave it up after my biggest monster and knowing if I screwed up he probably would kill me or result in loss of my guitar and archery hand. I was good at it, but the risk: reward wasn't there. Natural selection is a fact, not a theory...

06-May-18

06-May-18
More third world stupidity, everyone just stands around and watches. There needs to be more cases like this available to the public. Maybe, just maybe the point will sink in that not everything big and furry comes from a Disney world cartoon.

06-May-18
Snag.... really? First rule of thumb in emergency situations is don’t become another victim. Beating an aggressive bear with a stick somehow doesn’t seem like that good of an idea. I’d have just yelled “Don’t worry you’ll go viral on YouTube bro!”

06-May-18
Really? Kill the bear? It did nothing wrong. It didn't attack unprovoked or do anything unpredictable. The guy was too stupid to be alive, so he's dead.

And the girl taking a selfie while driving. They're starting a seat belt campaign, not a don't take stupid selfie campaign? Most of the world is nuts!

06-May-18
That was hard to watch. Yes he was stupid and dumb. Probably got what he deserved in some degree. But, I was still rooting for him.

06-May-18
Just saying if that was my buddy I wouldn’t be standing there yelling!

06-May-18
Never go into the woods unarmed and never think wild animals are never predictable.

06-May-18
At least there was one guy who tried to help by throwing a big rock at the bear. His aim was good but it didn't bother the bear and seemed to bounce off and hit the victim. Even the dog gave up...

07-May-18
I know people are just trying to be funny but this is real. I agree with snag that is terrible that no one tried to help. It's not funny, the guy was killed. And Yes Ziek kill the bear! It's attacking a fellow human who desperately needed help after one stupid mistake.

07-May-18
Sat there and videoed a guy being mauled to death.

That's what has become of mankind.

07-May-18
In all seriousness, I don't know... do you put your life in danger because someone was stupid? I will always help someone in danger, but in this case I am not sure it is a knock on mankind that they didn't help. I am also not sure what I would have done without a weapon/gun in this situation where a stranger clearly put himself in this position.

I agree though that mankind and our morals have gone downhill... but this is a tough one.

07-May-18
Kodiak cut right to the heart of the issue. This is what we've become as a general society. Same thing as when people video someone being beaten nearly to death, etc..

07-May-18
If this was in America, someone with a concealed weapon would have stepped in and unloaded his 9MM into the bear, saving the man's life, then get sued by the victims family for hitting him in the arm with one of the bullets, then severely fined and jail time for killing a bear out of season with no permit.

'merica

07-May-18
Jaquomo,

I agree with you 100% as far as a general society, but if you saw this guy... someone you don't know, go up to a wounded bear and take a selfie with it and get mauled. Would you jump in without a weapon and battle the bear in hand to hand combat? This would be a tough decision. I have a family to care for and provide for. I am not sure what I would do in this exact situation where this guy very foolishly put himself in this position.

Now, if I had a gun/weapon it is a no-brainer. But what would you do if you didn't have those tools? I am not arguing with people just looking at this from a different angle.

07-May-18
There is no way I could just stand there and watch that without doing something. Anything. Maybe picked up the person videoing it and throw them at the bear....... yeah, if a firearm I'd have done what I could to kill that bear. Without a second thought. Just doing what people do.....

Looks to be off the side of the road.... Nobody had a car? That went on for a long time and hardly anyone lifted a finger. Have a feeling.... in that part of the world life just doesn't mean very much.

07-May-18
You guys are unreal. Any of you have any stupid family members? Loved ones? Kids even? Think they all should die a horrible and violent death to because they’ve maybe done something stupid? I’m with Mike, it’s not something I’d joke about or pass blame on. This world is pretty effed up when every other post is another tool behind a keyboard joking about something like this. And btw, I never knew there were bears in India.

07-May-18
Sorry, but no way am I getting close enough to a bear, lion, tiger etc......... to potentially become victim #2(unless I had some type of weapon). Only exception would be if it was my kid!

You guys really think you could fight a bear off with a stick after watching that video???

07-May-18
You know how it makes you feel when a tragedy strikes a hunter and it makes the news and you have to read the crass and heartless comments made by people that follows such a story? Worth thinking about before you post about this.

As for what I'd do for a total stranger, I don't honestly know. Family, friends... I'd try to do something before I stood there and watched.

07-May-18
shame no one had a gun to stop that

07-May-18
There wasn’t just one guy there watching ! There was enough there to do something. I’d hope I would do more than just watch. I think reading some of these posts does indeed show some of societies problems.

07-May-18
It said an injured bear.....didn't look that injured, didn't care about the dog, the people et cetera.....rabid maybe?

07-May-18

Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Sloth Bear

07-May-18
I always feel the same way when reading such a story. My first reaction is "natural selection" but then I remember that stupid or not, this is someone's son or daughter. I've done some pretty stupid things...even when it comes to bears. And I don't think I'm the dullest knife in the drawer, but I guess that's what all the idiots think...

07-May-18
Ahhhhh, cute...... that'd make a dandy rug..... things have some serious claws on em....

Forget where I saw it but there was another bear attack at a small village in India that killed a villager that was out gathering wood or food or something. The village hunted it down and killed it with machetes and clubs. The village has had folks killed by bears, tigers and several by elephants..... don't know what they do with an elephant......

08-May-18
Actually using the car or van that must have been there (according to the story) would have been the best idea...

08-May-18
Agree with Dave i would have somehow managed to use the car or truck to get the bear off of him.

08-May-18

PAbowhunter1064's Link
If you gonna fight da' bear, you gotta train to fight da' bear!

08-May-18
If I would've been there, I for sure would've opened a can of whoop a$$ on that bear, and finished him off with a Stone Cold Stunner. No doubt in my mind...no doubt.

08-May-18
I don't get why they are all standing around watching? Looks like 4 or 5 guys and only one is throwing rocks and trying to help.

Embarrassing......

08-May-18
Jethro, you said it right there.

09-May-18
I'm with Apauls on this one.....regardless of how stupid the guy may have been, he's a person with a family. How horrible this is in many regards......

09-May-18
Settle down now. It's just nature's way. Happens all the time 'out there'. We're not special. Seems cruel to US. We can try to separate ourselves from it by clinging to our 'rules' of civilization... but the wild, the reality, never heard of em. Natural selection gets my vote every time. We've been watering down our gene pool for too long.

09-May-18
I can’t get on board with Capital Punishment for simple Ignorance. I know little enough about ALL KINDS of things to get me killed.

Funny how much Piety gets paraded around on sites like this, and then a thread like this comes up and... to HELL with thy neighbor - stupid bastard deserved it.

???

Does seem like a vehicle would be a good solution, under the circumstances.

09-May-18
When I read these comments, I have flashbacks that I am reading Yahoo!news comments on an article of a bowhunter who fell out of a treestand while not wearing a safety harness and died.

10-May-18
Jeff- you heartless bastard! Don't you know this is 2018.............................the age of the "Selfie"? That poor guy was just trying to "one-up" his buddy who took a selfie with a ferret! ;-)

10-May-18
When I read these comments, I have flashbacks of sitting on the couch with my wife watching the Lifetime Movie Channel, and her sobbing uncontrollably...c'mon guys! We can all agree that this guy losing his life is unfortunate, a tragedy, and uncalled for....but, more obvious, is that it could have been prevented very easily, with just a ounce of common sense. Watching that video left me with a feeling of disgust....disgust that the bear didn't go after the jackwad filming the entire mauling, or the bystanders who stood there doing nothing. You can't tell me that strength in numbers, and others distracting that bear wouldn't have made a difference. But alas...I guess that's where today's politically correct culture has brought us....blame the bear for being hungry and doing what nature designed it to do, and not the idiot looking for a cool video and new profile pic to put on FaceBook. Natural selection gets my vote too, Jeff.

10-May-18
#1 - the bear wasn’t hungry; it was wounded.., and provoked.

#2 - I don’t see anybody “blaming” the bear.

#3 - When YOUR kid does something stupid and needs help... are you going to stand there and talk about “natural selection” while you watch him die? But you wouldn’t hold it against me for not doing anything... just so long as I got it on video for the world to see.....

10-May-18
#1 & #2....I digress....you may have valid points, and an oversight on my part.

#3...you lost me, and you kinda proved my whole point. If I knew anyone stood around and especially, FILMED MY KID'S DEATH, and did absolutely nothing to help stop it, they would wish the bear got to them before I did. Never once did I say that it's not horrific and tragic, and that some family out there isn't devastated...and that is sad. The natural selection thing comes into play, when you consider the needless circumstance and lack of common sense exhibited by all the people involved.

10-May-18
You mean like when Shug sliced himself with a broadhead?

Guess I’m not clear whether you’re finding fault with the onlookers who did nothing but gawk, or the dumbass who tried to get a selfie up close & personal with good ol’ Baloo.....

(And BTW, PA - you’re not the only one talking about natural selection, so my point #3 was not directed specifically at you, though I certainly understand why you might assume that it was.... my bad on that!)

10-May-18
Exactly GF. That was going to be my next question for those who think the gene pool has been watered down for too long. I would agree, it has, and it will continue to get worse, but they are still people. What if it was your kid, or your dumb nephew or niece or grandkid? Momentary lapses of judgement happen to even smart people. How many of us here haven't had a near death situation due to circumstances we created?

10-May-18
It's all good, GF! I'm just being a Monday morning quarterback, and giving my take on the whole unfortunate situation...and being an internet tough guy a little, too! :-D

10-May-18
I fall somewhere in between thinkin the dude deserved it and feeling sorry for him. But one thing im certain of, Shug slicing himself with a broadhead is not a comparable situation, at all IMO. And i dont know what you do as an onlooker in that situation and certainly none of us can for sure say what we would do until we are actually in that situation. But i tried hard to think of any way i could stand back and do nothing, let alone tape it, and i just cant see a scenario where im not trying SOMETHING even if i got nothing. Bottom line...... it really sucks the man lost his life. And he did something unbelievably idiotic. Nobody deserves that, but as josh said, he certainly did himself in out of stupidity.

An older gentleman used to always say to me, "when you are going to do something on the edge, say it out loud first so you can hear it. That simple thing will/should help you avoid some really dumb mistakes." That sort of always stuck with me, though i still do some dumb things. We all have stupid moments, but if you said the stupid things you did out loud and then said what this man did out loud, i know where my money is going as far as what was more stupid....

10-May-18
He didn't DESERVE to die, anymore than he DESERVED to live. We all make choices that affect our lives every day. Some we have more control over than others. Poking a bear, driving around a RR crossing barrier to beat the train, wearing a headset that blocks your hearing when outside anywhere, staring at your smartphone while driving or even walking, driving while impaired, etc. just don't add up when considering the risk/reward equation. At least he didn't endanger any one else, unless they decided to help him fix stupid. I think we all feel some empathy for his family and friends, if not so much for him. At least he got the intended result; great images for social media. If we're going to die, most of us would prefer it happen doing what we love to do.

10-May-18
I read in the Aspen paper last year ( much to my disbelief) about a sow with 2 cubs in a tree on their version of the 16th st mall. CPW I think had to put the bear down because people were trying to take "selfies" with it and even harassing ( trying to block it from going back up the tree to it's cubs!) The bear NEVER attacked but did pop it;s jaws ect to get people to back away. They wouldn't. What has this world come to that people think anybody gives a sh!%t about their "selfies"? Sorry but I got to go with natural selection.

13-May-18
Looks (to me) as the mans death was a main cause of bystanders bystanding. The scene reminds me of moneys reaction, during a lion attack on one of their own.

14-May-18

Rut Nut's Link
Unfortunately, there are more people than you could possibly imagine out there doing stupid $&@?!!!

14-May-18
We have a large population of Black Bears in our county. I talked to our local WCO(wildlife conservation officer) about all the idiots that he has come across in his career. He told me one guy years ago would actually “feed” a bear by holding a peanut butter sandwich in his mouth and wait for the bear to walk up to him and take it out of his mouth.

Another guy would lure a local bear into his living room with donuts and pastries dumped on a shower curtain and then would take pictures of it. Guess what? When he went on vacation that year, he came back to a broken bay window. The bear obviously learned to associate his living room with food, and when the guy did not open the door, the bear decided to help himself.

That’s just 2 of the many examples our local WCO talked about.

• Sitka Gear