GBTG 10-May-18
Pyrannah 11-May-18
Mark Watkins 11-May-18
Pyrannah 11-May-18
EJG 11-May-18
Charlie Rehor 11-May-18
Pyrannah 11-May-18
09-May-18
This has been hashed out in the past, but i can not find an answer for my question below. Any info would be appreciated..

1. Gaia has a $40 per year membership that i use as an app. This app seems to give me country wide access to maps, private ground, and public ground. The Onx system is a GPS chip and and app but it seems to be only state specific and it is over $100. Why would i purchase the ONx system when the GAIA seems to do so much more for less?

Thanks ben

09-May-18
Onx is $100 for entire country, $30 or 40 for one state if I remember correctly. I can't comment on which is better because I've only used onx, but I've been happy with it.

09-May-18
I have used onX for a couple years now and really like it. Upon recommendation from some here, I downloaded the gaia but I just didn't want to pay $40 since I already have a membership with onX. I got an email the other week saying if I filled out some survey from the time that I use the free Gaia, I would get one month free of the premium subscription. I went through all the steps and it hosed me, no month free. Doesn't help answer your question at all, I just felt like complaining....;^)

09-May-18
I asked that question too...........bought GAIA. Incredible mapping tool.

09-May-18
Predeter, when I add Wyoming onx to my cart it is $120 for one state, but it looks like I get the app too..

I’m just not sure why I should buy that when Gaia is a 1/3 of the price for much larger area

I just want to make sure I’m not misunderstanding something

Thanks wall

09-May-18
I have both and not sure why you wouldn't go with GAIA either. The downside is that you need a way to charge your device using GAIA while you can stick a chip in a GPS and two AA lithium batteries last a whole season.

But for hunting from a base camp where you have means to charge a phone, tablet, etc.., GAIA is the bomb.

09-May-18
Thanks!

I realize the charging may be an issue, but I’ll still have my regular gps with me as a backup if Phone battery goes out..

09-May-18
There are a couple of options for the onX System. The $119.99 price point gets you a micro SD Hunt Chip for a Garmin GPS unit if you have one as well as access to that state for one year on your phone, tablet, and computer. If you don't have a GPS unit and just want to use your cell phone, then there are 2 options for that. There is the $29.99/year Premium membership which gives you all the layers for a single state or there is the Elite membership for $14.99/month or $99/year that gives you all the layers for all 50 states. Feel free to use promo code BHA, RMEF, or NWTF to get 20% off a new Premium or Elite membership (not applicable to chip purchases). You'll get 20% off your membership and we'll donate to the conservation organization corresponding to the code you use.

09-May-18
Thanks onX!!

Would it be possibly for you to comment on the benefits of your product versus others at all? Are you offering different layers than your competitors?

I don't have an issue spending the additional money for a better product, i just want to make sure i completely understand.

Thank you for your response! Ben

09-May-18
Glad to answer any questions! We have tons of data incorporated into our app. You can view private land boundaries and owner names, public land boundaries and names in an easy to identify color coding system, trail data including trail mileage and slope. We offer historic fire data, recreation points of interest, hunting boundaries for multiple species, hunting specific program boundaries such as block management/walk in areas, timber cuts, our possible access layer which is generally timber companies that open up more land for hunting. There are many hunting specific waypoints, offline maps, and our share waypoint feature. You can give it a try for free for 7 days by downloading the app and creating an account. We take a simple approach to our design and don't overload the app with a bunch of maps and information that you won't use.

09-May-18
I use both on my phone .

09-May-18
I have purchased just a single state in OnX; the state that I want land owner names for. I then have all the nationwide layers available for the other states that I hunt. I wanted LO names for WY so I bought that state, I have govt lands, wilderness, fire, unit boundary, etc for any other state, such as NM, CO, etc. OnX is the product I use most but it has serious shortcomings; it doesn't transition between service/non service on its own very well, and the inability to write to an sd card would make it a non starter if I didn't know how to hack my way around it.

GAIA is a very good product but I don't care for the interface. Their code and app "maturity" is years ahead of OnX.

I tried Basemap and crippled the app in the first 2 minutes. Their support was quick and deleted my data so I could continue to try but it appears to be a non starter for me. They have no gpx import and their KML import adds elevation and distance to every data point along a path, similar to the initial OnX import.

In my opinion, these companies are a good alternative for a GPS unit, but all fall way short of GE Pro as an Internet Scouting tool. All have or had, free trial periods and I would encourage anyone to do that.

09-May-18
Pyrannah,

I was referring to just the phone app for $100/all states. I don't have a GPS or use a chip.

09-May-18
Thanks everyone

Gonna go with Gaia. I can’t justify the cost difference, and just found out my bud has on x...

Ben

09-May-18
Gaia has 99.9% of the stuff OnX has, you’ll be happy with it.

10-May-18
got it this morning...

seems pretty awesome so far, but lots to learn though..

The map database is very extensive! And seems to be very intuitive at this point yet...

Thanks again for the comments

10-May-18
That's what I found to.......extensive but intuitive.

11-May-18
i didn't really look in to basemap much.. From what i had seen, it seemed like the big two were gaia and onx.. Gaia was $36 with their discount.. not to bad...

11-May-18
IMHO, I don't look at if I save $30, I look at what delivers (and works best) for my needs. I have not used GAIA.

My experience with OnX has been nothing but fantastic whether it is on a DIY public land western hunt or hunting my own property here in MN....OnX rocks!

Mark

11-May-18
That was the whole point of my thread mark.. other than a few extra features (that are not important to me) not sure why I would spend 70 extra bucks for the same thing if not better???

Why would I pay three times as much for something that does essentially the same thing

11-May-18
i can';t really compare the others, i've only used OnX.

I would check two things before deciding - while it's not my only digital scouting tool, i like alot of the desktop features of OnX for scouting and the auto syncing with what i see on my phone has been awesome and a big timesaver when comparing to just using say google earth and my garmin.

also, OnX is seems to very supportive of conservation efforts and hunting related mfg's and hunting content(podcasts) that i enjoy. these things have been very important to me and in my mind, part of my conservation contributions during the year. not to mention just supporting a company that likely has a lot of hunters on staff. i might not apply this philosophy to everything, but for a lot of my hunting stuff i do.

I would suspect, the devil in the details of the hunting focus of OnX could be easily under appreciated until you use it - but like i said i haven't used the other so maybe i am wrong

11-May-18
Why wouldn’t you use the $14.99 per month option on Onx for all 50 states then cancel it after season?

11-May-18
well I guess I would want to start using it now (and I am using the Gaia version) and I think I would use it up through January or maybe in to turkey season.

So that’s 9 months or 135 bucks..

• Sitka Gear