Kevin Speicher 10-May-18
APauls 10-May-18
tradmt 12-May-18
Ogoki 12-May-18
Buck Watcher 12-May-18
Russ Koon 14-May-18
Kurt 14-May-18
10-May-18
I had a hard time pulling my older 70# Switchback (circa 05?) quietly and smoothly in the Turkey blind. Too many years of sports and weightlifting causing shoulder issues. Can you swap out Cams or otherwise adjust to get the draw weight down to 60#? I don't bow hunt enough to justify a new bow, but my daughter is starting to shoot and I really want to be comfortable and enjoy it when she joins me. Appreciate your thoughts!!

10-May-18
If the bow is maxed at 70lbs, you can back the limb bolts off to decrease the draw weight. One turn of the bolt is roughly 3 pounds of draw weight.

10-May-18
You don't change cams to change draw weight. You should be able to back the limb bolts off to decrease draw weight. If that isn't enough, you would have to get 50-60 pound limbs to replace your 70 pound limbs. Good luck.

10-May-18
Thank Kevin, I may try that first. Do you think it would have a 10# range where I could get back to 60#? I know there is only one way to find out, just curious. I only shot this bow a few seasons. Switched from a recurve after a heart breaking miss on a 6x6 Elk in Colorado, then started duck hunting shortly thereafter. Used to live, eat and sleep bow hunting.....

10-May-18
Mathews limb bolts are unusually long and I would say you can get those limbs down to 60#s easily. My ZXT with 70# limbs will go from 58 to 72#s and with 60# limbs went all the way down to 47#s and topped out at 63#s. Shawn

10-May-18
I am assuming that you have 60 - 70 lb. limbs so as Shawn said, you should have any issues getting down to 60lbs.

10-May-18
On a switchback you can probably get below 60#. Not recommended to go too much lower, but 60 is no problem. It was designed to go 60-70.

12-May-18
That's the best Mathews I ever shot.

12-May-18
Bought my Switchback in 2005, have not shot one I like any better to make a change. I did remove the grip and made a new one in my woodshop. Narrow and FLAT. Shoot the Scott Longhorn Hex. Shooting better than ever. Shoot at 64 lbs. Have taken a pile of deer and bears with it , along with a few rabbits.

I did buy a Switchback XT off ebay, in 50-60 lbs , for my old age and for a backup bow.

Amazing how they hold their value. Still in $400 range on ebay.

12-May-18
Mathews says Switchback is ---- Safe to shoot 5 turns down from max....about 10#. Most people don't have a scale. My guess it will be 54-56#.

14-May-18
I know the manufacturers always say something to to the effect that the bow is "safe to shot down to ....pounds less draw wieghyt than thye maximum". I was skeptical and could see no reason why there would be any problem with exceeding that aount of reduction by backing out the limb bolts, as long as you are caerful to see that plenty of threaded length remains in the threads holding them together.

When I had a stroke eight years ago and had to completely retrain my left side, I was a couple months into rehabbing before I could even hold the bow at shooting height, let alone draw it.

I had a few compounds available, two older Browning single-cams and two Mathews I had bought used that were my current hunting bows, an LX and a Switchback. I started cranking one of the Brownings down, as I figured I wouldn't be losing as much if there did turn out to be a problem. Kept reducing the draw weight until I could draw the bow just for physical therapy inside the house. After a few weeks of that when the weather was better and I was drawing it to full draw more easily, I began shooting it in the yard. The arrows flew smoothly and were almost on line horizontally, but of course were flying noticeably slower and hitting lower as expected. I weighed the draw weight and it was peaking at 27# on that 70# Browning.

I did find one minor problem. I was still shooting fingers at the time as I had done all my life, and when I would occasionally have a less-than-smooth release, the string would sometimes jump out of the cam groove as it came to the resting position. Just not enough tension left in the system to keep it in the grooves after the shot. Easy to simply put it back on the cam with my fingers, though, so the practices continued.

As the weeks went by, and I had cranked the draw weight up gradually several pounds, I noticed that I was no longer needing to place the string back in the cam grove even after a sloppy release.

When I had increased the draw to about 40# and decided to start going to my local 3D shoots again, I reduced the draw weight on one of my Mathews from 70# to 40# and sighted it in. Zero problems with either bow, both shot smoothly and with little adjustment needed except the vertical adjustment of the sight pins to compensate for the slower arrow flight.

Still shooting the LX at practices and 3D's. back up to about 50# draw now at the first spring practices, the adding a few pounds a month through the summer as strength and stamina allows. I'll be at 60# again soon this summer. Will probably stay about there, as that's plenty for whitetails and I won't be chasing anything tougher.

Never had a problem with the limb bolts backing off any further by themselves ( I marked the bolt heads with a magic marker and checked them frequently at first, to be sure), or with the bows getting noisy, or shooting differently in any way other than the expected speed reduction. Shooting releases these days (the old finger tendons were aching pretty good after very many shots in practice, it was time).

Even the old adage about the efficiency of the bow being greatly reduced when shooting the limbs below their peak weights, is, IMO, another old wive's tale that no longer is as true as it was in the days of heavier weighted wood-core limbs and less-efficient deisgns. I know my LX was shooting my 425 grain arrows through the chrono at just over 200 fps while it was backed off to 40# peak draw, and at my 27.5" draw length, I wouldn't expect much more than that from a 40# set of limbs in a 13-year-old design.

14-May-18
My oldest brother shot a Mathews 60-70# bow at 45#s for awhile before and after shoulder surgery....killing a few bucks with it down that low. No issues and he said plenty of threads in the riser on the limb bolts. Real spongy string though but no derails or moving peep. Good luck with it....10#s off max and it will shoot fine. Shoot it and smile!

• Sitka Gear