Bowfishing
Contributors to this thread:
Jasper 10-May-18
Dollar 10-May-18
Dollar 10-May-18
Jasper 10-May-18
DonVathome 12-May-18
10-May-18
My sons and I have 6 points each for gator in Georgia so can get any zone we want. We're going to each apply during a different year to spread the fun out, but all go. My oldest son is up this year. We've never been but I have a good guide booked for Lake Seminole. For those of you that have gator hunted, how successful have you been getting close enough for a bow shot? I know a lot of people snag them with a fishing rod but we're not interested in that. I just ordered a Muzzy Gator Getter kit. Thanks!

10-May-18
Its not a problem if your patient.Work them slow real slow.Use red lights and don't hit the gator directly with the full beam.Angle the main beam above the gator and use the halo from the light as you approach.Also large gators are territorial so if you push him with out spooking him he should stand his ground as he reach's his border. But really its patience and practice on approaching big gators. Good luck

10-May-18
One other thing on judging size.Obviously large gators are just that but 9' and under can be tricky if your not use to judging size.A small gator will have a small nose and eyes will bulge up high above the head.Larger the gator the larger the nose will be and the lower the eyes will sit or look on top of the head. In the dark its all different looking and just takes some practice.

10-May-18
Thanks Bob!

12-May-18
Calling is very very effective and from my research one of your best options. Simply boating up to a large mature Alligator is extremely unlikely - with hunted alligators

Determining the size takes practice but is not that hard and I can definitely tell you when you see a big one you know It!

• Sitka Gear