Beendare 13-May-18
flyingbrass 13-May-18
canepole 13-May-18
Fuzzy 14-May-18
flyingbrass 14-May-18
wytex 22-May-18
drycreek 22-May-18
12-May-18
It's been my understanding that since pigs don't have knuckles on their legs, steel traps won't hold them. Will they latch and hold onto the smaller ones? Thanks, Gene

12-May-18
I used to do hog depredation.

The easiest and most effective trap for hogs is a pen with a one way flap of a door, baited with fermented corn

12-May-18
I have only trapped in country with Javelina and I did catch a few with off set steel jaw traps that were four coiled.

12-May-18
I caught 76 hogs last year on my place. Only caught 3 of them with in my coyote sets which were 2 coil and/or 4 coil offset MB550 traps. If you want to best hog trap look at www.thehawgstopper.com This is a great hog trap. I caught the other 73 in it last year and caught 16 in it this week. In other words, I only caught a few small hogs in my steel traps by accident. You can catch them but only the small ones. http://www.thehawgstopper.com

12-May-18

flyingbrass's Link

12-May-18
The diameter of the area above the hoof is the same as the hoof....not like a horse so there is not much for the jaws to set on. If they are large enough jaws they could get above the "dew paws" so to speak.

12-May-18
I guess I should make that 4 hogs in the steel traps. Something came along and ate the 4th one but they were all under about 10 pounds.

12-May-18
Question

What do you do with 16 wild hogs in one week?

12-May-18
Get yourself one of those circular traps, they are bada$$

12-May-18
FB, what does a trap like that cost?

13-May-18
they cost $899

13-May-18
You can wire 4-6 hog panels together and T bar stake it in about 20 minutes. We welded a flap type door to one panel...but a guy could use something like plywood.

that round trap looks solid...but the hog panels are easy as they don't take up any space and they are easy to move and assemble.

13-May-18

flyingbrass's embedded Photo
flyingbrass's embedded Photo
I think the trap I bought has been worth it's weight in gold. I caught 76 hogs last year. Some were huge. Everyone has an opinion on trapping hogs. I always ask for them to show me the pics of the hogs they trapped. Until you trapped 100 hogs you got no business recommending anything you saw on youtube. I fooled with hogs on our old 1500 acre lease and it was probably the best hog habitat in the world. The whole thing floods almost and a lot of it is swamp. Hogs are far smarter and stronger than hunters realize. This one was my biggest.

13-May-18
Thank you all. Lots of great suggestions. The round one looks really good but it's more than I need. My lake place borders Corp of Engineer land and only a few pigs are getting on my property. I think I'll use the hog panels and t-post. I will need to check on buying a door as my welding skills match my trapping skills.

14-May-18
cnelk, "what do you do with 16 wild hogs in one week?" eat one, give two away, and feed 13 to the buzzards .....

14-May-18
throw them in the ditch

22-May-18
You can sell live ones in Texas.

22-May-18
wytex, there ain't much market anymore in the part of Texas I live in. I talked to a guy that does nothing but trap, and he was trying to sell some of his traps. I talked to a buyer who said he had a bunch he couldn't get rid of. You can sell 100 pounders and over to kick and shoot operations but no telling how far you've got to drive. We badly need some kind of safe way to kill multiple sounders here or they are gonna be in the city streets. What the hell, they're already inside the city limits in some towns. I see more and more yards on the edge of towns rooted up. We've killed 24 hogs on my 217 acres this calendar year and ain't made a dent in them.

• Sitka Gear