Grunter 15-May-18
Adventurewriter 15-May-18
Deertick 15-May-18
Treeline 15-May-18
Adventurewriter 16-May-18
IdyllwildArcher 16-May-18
Fuzzy 17-May-18
15-May-18
Getting ready for a big grind ....anybody grind and mix carrots in their meat???? Supposedly they both freeze fine........I don't add any cut or fat...usually add olive oil on the cook for flavor and as a fat subsitute...

15-May-18
No carrots, but I add bacon.

15-May-18
Dear Lord, Ted. Ground carrots? In a perfectly good burger? You should get a gig pushing samples at a kiosk in Whole Foods! Sounds like your proximity to Boulder is having more detrimental effect than you realize.

Don't thank me, that's what friends are for.. ;-O

15-May-18
I about spit my tofu ....

15-May-18
Carrots ain't food...

...carrots are what food eats.

15-May-18
Helps with moisture in meat loaf. Not mixing it in all my burger, though.

15-May-18
I guess you could. The question is why. Just grind the meat then add to each batch as you prepare any desired ingredients.

15-May-18
Lou I am likely the most flesh eating beast that ever walked on two feet ;-).... But with that said...got to get yer veggies in someplace and I like carrots and onions and I like to have stuff ready to go..thaw...cook.... eat...pound chest ..repeat....

15-May-18
Shoulda had a V8....

15-May-18
I camped with a strange guy in WY this year who drank e cans of V8 a day. Claimed it cures and prevents all sorts of terminal diseases. But he also smoked two packs a day, and drank a 12 pack of Bud...

15-May-18
It is oatmeal that goes in meatloaf. Makes the consistency wonderful instead of mealy like bread crumbs. Especially with elk.

Terry

15-May-18
Here's a Boulder idea... Pre-cook the burger, carrots, onions, potatoes, whatever else you like. Put it all in a blender and puree. Then freeze in quart bags. Thaw...drink...done!

15-May-18
^^^ isn't that really just baby food? Sounds more like a Gerber idea.

15-May-18
No. I don't do that AW.

15-May-18
Lou, I think they put something else in their burger in Boulder.

I was thinking, though, of putting protein powder in -- to "up" the protein. Too much work. Just grind. Come to think of it, grinding is the best thing you can do with your meat.

15-May-18
Julienne cut carrots, taters (Yukon gold) ,small dice sweet onions and add to your ground meat. About half vegetables half meat. Season with plain old salt and pepper. Make a Patty n fry it and taste test to make sure it's got the amount of salt ya like. Make or buy a pie crust. Put the meat mix about 2 to 2 1/2 inckes thick on one half of the crust and fold the other half of the crust over the mix . Pinch the edge with a fork n cut a couple slits like baking a pie. Lightly brusk melted butter over the top n put it in the oven at 350 on a cookie sheet. I can't tell you how long to cook cause I go by the smell and what they look like . Y'all will figure that out. There ya have a perfect UP pasty. One of my favorite meals!! Make a bunch of em at a time . Let em cool off well , wrap each one in plastic wrap then foil and the freeze real well. They reheat in the oven nicely after being Frozen and they are excellent just thawed and eaten cold. Pastys and tamales are my favorite food to pull out of my day pack on a mountainside! Sub rutabagas for the Yukon gold for a change too. Try it you'll like it!

15-May-18
Deertick--i think that would be a waste of protein to add powder to your meat. The body can only "use" like 25-35 grams per meal. Just trying to save ya some money. I'm no expert but have read this in a few articles. As far as grinding carrots into the meat, wouldn't it just be easier to make them and have them as a side? Carrots don't go in the meat imo.

Anyone looking for a good tasting protein powder--get some Muscletech Nitrotech. Milk chocolate is pretty dang tasty. And I've tried alot of them. Also has 3 grams of creatine per serving, so keep up on the water to avoid dehydrating.

15-May-18
Dm 65 sounds like a winner!!!

15-May-18
Grunter, you're right. Beyond 20 gm is just calories, and that's if you get 3 grams of BCAAs in there.

15-May-18
Jeez, guys!

Can’t you tell when a poor guy is just trying to figure out how to get a few veggies in his meataterian diet?

Buch of cavemen!

16-May-18
Treeline knows....there are piles of bones strewn about my lair......seven animals last fall...I think about two more to go before the freezer loading starts all again....

16-May-18
I eat a lot of veggies. They're good for you and keep you from getting fat. Just like meat.

Carrots I only eat pickled with jalapenos or in the juice of a roast for the final 45 mins of cooking.

Adventurewriter, 24k gold is finer than 14. Eat your meat and make a salad on the side.

17-May-18
I've made sausages with onions, peppers, garlic cloves and fresh herbs, never carrot. I cook fresh after making though. Should be fine frozen.

• Sitka Gear