ben h 17-May-18
IdyllwildArcher 17-May-18
Fuzzy 17-May-18
TrapperKayak 17-May-18
Jennw 17-May-18
Jennw 17-May-18
TD 17-May-18
15-May-18
Could I have food poisoning from deer meat and everyone else ok? Or maybe a food sensitivity to deer meat? We ate a deer roast and that night I got severe stomach cramps and was stuck in bathroom. Ate about 7pm this hit about 3am. Fiance ate and he was fine. The only thing I could compare it to was food poisoning I had one other time (that time was worse). Gave some of the juice to the dog on her food and she has thrown up 3 times today. I cooked the roast it was frozen in foodsaver sealed bag, didn't smell funny when cooking and tasted fine.

15-May-18
I am no Dr. nor a gambling man, but if your fiance was fine I bet it was not food poisoning.

15-May-18
Food poisoning takes longer to materialize then 8 hours.

My wife was so sick for such a long time. We tried so many doctors. We finally got hooked up with an endocrinologists in New York state. He helped her by finding the factors that was upsetting her auto immune system. Her biggest trigger was the foods we were eating. I can't tell you how that has helped her.

I'm not saying that is what caused your illness. It may have been a bacteria contracted the day before. Etc...... It may have had zero to do with the food. Or, it may have been food allergy. Stay attuned to your health in the future and how your life affects it. But, it wasn't infected deer or, anything in that meal because others would likely be sick as well.

15-May-18
Have you been feeling the same way after eating other meats? If so check out the lone star tick.

15-May-18
I just recently met a man who got bit by a tick that gave him a bad problem. same symptoms . Can't eat any red meat for ,I think he said 5 years? Diagnosed by professionals. He said he's fine as long as he stays away from it.

15-May-18
From: WV Mountaineer 15-May-18 Food poisoning takes longer to materialize then 8 hours.

Incorrect statement! There are several forms of food poisoning with symptoms that start approximately 8 hours after ingestion. However, if the guy had the same meal it's very doubtful that the deer meat caused your illness.

15-May-18
Depending on who you read, food poisoning symptoms can begin 1-4 hours after ingestion.

That jives with my personal experience with it.

15-May-18
Not sure why the dog got sick too? Most dogs can handle a lot more than people but have had dogs he pretty darn sick eating a lot of deer meat, especially raw.

16-May-18
We never call it food poisoning in the ER but rather "gastroenteritis" - inflammation of the gut

16-May-18
"I am no Dr. nor a gambling man, but if your fiance was fine I bet it was not food poisoning."

If I had a nickle for every time I've seen people eat the same meal and one person get "food poisoning" and the other not, I could pay off my student loans. In fact, it's actually the norm for mixed company to have different reactions to tainted food.

Everyone has a different immune system and most "food poisoning" is actually just leftover toxin from bacteria that are already dead and different guts react differently to it.

Where I work, we still have Salmonella outbreaks about once every 12-18 months and it is normal for many people to eat the same food and only a fraction of the people to catch it. Our guts are made to head this stuff off at the pass.

And most "food poisoning" is not food borne at all, but rather a virus. Most of the actual food borne illnesses are not active infections, but the result of eating bacteria poop (toxins) that were there from somewhere between field to shopping cart.

The way you know is how long it takes you to get sick. If you eat a dinner and it makes you sick in the middle of the night, that was bacteria poop. Salmonella, shigella, campylobacter, and staph food poisoning needs enough time to start eating you before your gut starts to try and get rid of it and that takes a day or two.

The OP's story sounds like poor meat preservation to me. You can experiment and find out for sure by eating more of the same animal and then killing another animal, taking good care of it, and seeing what happens. Poor man's tests are often times the best at finding the truth.

16-May-18
Well I learned that I might have made the dog sick since I put Lipton onion soup mix in roast and I didn't realize dogs can't handle onion. Might explain the pups reaction.

16-May-18
My family got food poisoning from a Christmas turkey and it hit everyone 5-8 hours after consumption. Some of us threw up once, others had it comming from both ends endlessly. I believe my mother never had any effects. Not scientific just my experience.

16-May-18
Do you get this every time you eat deer meat or was it a once off? Anything that happens just once I wouldn't even think twice about. If you eat deer 3 times in a row and have a reaction each time then it's worth thinking about. Just once, just keep eating.

16-May-18
Not to overlook the obvious, is it possible you AND the dog are pregnant? ;o)

16-May-18
Well, that just goes to show you that some doctors need more learning. That 24 hour spit came straight from here 3 weeks ago.

16-May-18
From: Jennw 16-May-18 Well I learned that I might have made the dog sick since I put Lipton onion soup mix in roast and I didn't realize dogs can't handle onion. Might explain the pups reaction.

***Yep, onions along with grapes & raisins among a number of other things are toxic to dogs!

From: WV Mountaineer 16-May-18 Well, that just goes to show you that some doctors need more learning. That 24 hour spit came straight from here 3 weeks ago.

*** That's a good one since it has to be wrong because of something you read on this website. Please give me a break, LOL! I dealt with this kind of stuff for more than 15 of my 30+ year career. The people that all got sick fairly soon after eating turkey probably were made ill by Clostridium perfringens, an uncommon type of food poisoning. Once an Investigation that I was involved in determined from Lab tests that a bunch of people that got sick within 5-6 hours at a big Hospital was from eating a turkey dinner. That particular organism most commonly occurs in meals that are made in large quantities and then not kept hot enough for a lengthy period of time, which is exactly what happened in that case.

16-May-18
Is there a doctor in the house?

16-May-18
I had a typo. Here was supposed to be HER. I was sick as a dog three weeks ago and went to the Doctor. That is what she told me when I asked if it could be food poisoning.

16-May-18
Idlly is a doc.

16-May-18
Clostridium Perfringes is a very uncommon cause of "food poisoning," and not what you'd judge most cases off by. Most of the nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea that people get is just from regular ol' Staph. If you eat staph or any other toxin, it's usually just a matter of hours before symptoms start. Salmonella, one of the most renown forms of "food poisoning" often times takes 1-3 days for symptoms to start.

17-May-18
I would think Ike would be getting all kinds of funky food sicknesses up there! Stink eggs, rotten meat, etc. Heck those folks regularly eat stuff that would kill a coyote!

17-May-18
I'm not a Dr, but I am a civil engineering and I've had what I self-diagnosed as "food poisoning" one time (it's possible it was the flu or something else entirely). It set on pretty fast and I don't remember how many times I puked, but I did shit 17 times in a day and took 10 years off my butt hole. 3 days later I finally made it back to college and while walking back from the library to my truck I heard a little voice inside me say "it's just a fart, you're good" and then another voice say "do you need me to tell you what's been going on?", needless to say, I used my own expert judgment and went with fart.....I was wrong.....very wrong. I did not shard myself, I shit myself!! Thankfully I had khaki pants on and only had about 1/4 mile walk to the truck left, so I just walked like I didn't just crap myself. If you went to the University of Utah in the late 90's, that's a true story and that was me. I wish that was my worst diarrhea story; it's the only one that can link back to possible food poisoning though.

17-May-18
Funny thing you mention it Tavis - I'm up in Point Hope right now and just got some whale blubber and meat gifted to me as they got another whale yesterday. The delicacy up here is the tail - they bury it in the ground and let it rot and then dig it up for the end of the year festival and eat it and the neurotoxin from the bacteria that is eating it makes you drunkish. There's people that get sick off of it every year.

17-May-18
it is very possible for one to get sick and another not, but I'd first look at other foods consumed in the 12-24 hours prior. There are a few things that can cause symptoms in <8 hours, some as little as two hours, but they're much less common.

17-May-18
'end of the year festival and eat it and the neurotoxin from the bacteria that is eating it makes you drunkish. There's people that get sick off of it every year' Think I'll stick to wine on New Year's eve.

17-May-18
Not pregnant, doesn't happen eating small amount of deer sausage from same deer but both times I ate deer roast terrible... Maybe just too rich for my stomach. Who knows. Fiances solution is to try it one more time and if it makes me sick again we will throw it out. Question can certain meat from same deer be bad? Say when it was on ice could some have not gotten cold enough and only that piece bad or would it spread all over? I am scared to feel that way again So I am not digging this let's test it over and over on my stomach. I might just eat a sandwich those nights :)

17-May-18
Also my 3 year old has had c diff as a baby and had stool tested less than a year ago and had Giardia (maybe different name than what pup gets) but Dr was pretty sure it came from our dog that we had just gotten since she had it as well. Wondering if I might have gotten something from son and it doesn't bother me all the time and certain foods irritate it.

Thanks for all the help and sorry Ben about that shit and not shart....

17-May-18
Ike.... pretty sure I had some of that neurotoxin stuff at a party once in the 70's.... well, I think....

I don't know about another "test" on the roast to see if that was it..... kinda like testing the depth of a river with both feet. Even if it's OK, Russian Roulette doesn't sound like pleasurable dinner recipe.....Personally I'd either throw it out or let your husband finish it. Simple enough, go shoot another deer..... =D

PS.... like they said above..... check out all the food you have had in the 24+hours before. Very well could have been something else. I wouldn't "test" it again though.... peace of mind is worth a few dollars worth of food....

• Sitka Gear