Ziek 19-May-18
WV Mountaineer 19-May-18
Ziek 19-May-18
W8N4RUT 20-May-18
WV Mountaineer 20-May-18
HDE 20-May-18
loprofile 21-May-18
18-May-18
After more brands and broadhead testing, I am back to HellRazors for my elk hunt. All 6 out of the packages just now spun incredibly well with no o rings or washers to mess with like other heads. As best I can recall, I have never had a Hellrazor that did not fly and spin perfectly. Even though I will have to sharpen them a bit to get to hair popping sharp, it is well worth it. I have very little elk hunting experience compared to others on here, but of the two I have shot with Hellrazors one went through the elk and buried most of the broadhead in a tree. The other simply sailed right through the elk on a downhill shot and there was just no way to find that arrow. My KE is 64-65 lbs last time I computed it.

18-May-18
I pick some up this winter as well and will be trying them

18-May-18
Hopefully the steel in them is better these days. I broke two of them (blades broke off) during practice several years back & took them off the list. Both broke in a wood post, they were a very brittle COC head. Good luck!

ElkNut/Paul

18-May-18

Situation similar to ElkNut, broke off the front third of the broadhead. Very brittle steel at the time, this was maybe like 6 years ago.

18-May-18
I shot one through both shoulders of a javelina this past January and it blew through the other side. Still looks brand new. Obviously a javelina is way smaller than an elk but I was really impressed with how it just shattered the bones and kept going.

19-May-18
Why do all new BHs that come out get a first thread/report from someone who's never posted before?

19-May-18
I'm with Elknut, shot a few whitetails with them no problems except the point didn't survive. I broke a the leading tip of a couple heads while sharpening, but I do suck at sharpening. Brittle for sure. I'm a Slick Trick Viper Trick fan for my elk hunts....Good luck in whatever you choose.

19-May-18
Personally I hate three bladed designs like the hell razor because the crappy blade angle. That said if I was going to use one the only one worth considering ar VPA

19-May-18
Not one of NAP's best heads by the sounds of it, Prez broke the tip while sharpening? Thunderhead razor or nitro would be better for sure, or do yourself a big favor and buy some qad exodus!

19-May-18
The 25 degree angle isn’t conducive to be being sharp period. Just because it’s easy doesn’t make it good. no comparison to a well sharpened 19 or 20 degree head with good steel.

19-May-18
I tried them a few years ago. I could not get them sharp enough to suit me. I could put a shaving edge on the original Snuffers, but never on the HellRazor.

19-May-18
I don't really have any brand loyalty, but the reasons cited by the OP for choosing the heads he's promoting are true for the other brands of solid 3-blade heads as well. I've found that the G5 Montec and VPA heads all spin perfect too, without needing o-rings or washers. These 3-blade heads all possess the drawback of being unable to obtain a truly scalpel-sharp edge because of the edge angle. That being said, all these heads are killing a ton of animals every year. My personal choice, when I need a 3-blade head, is the VPA's. And they offer a better variety of shapes and sizes and materials.

19-May-18
The ones I got were sharp out of the package, I just touched them up a bit. I have killed whitetail and mule deer with them. I have since moved on to VPA.

19-May-18
The ones I got were sharp out of the package, I just touched them up a bit. I have killed whitetail and mule deer with them. I have since moved on to VPA.

19-May-18
I used them and the Magnus Snuffer SS for a few years. Good head but they will break on bone.

So I went to the VPA's....same design but much stronger head with edges that sharpen better and hold their sharpness.

19-May-18
HellRazors were my choice until VPA. I had a couple of blades break on the HellRazor. So far, not on the VPA. Vents in broadheads are unnecessary and only create weak spots and voids that create fouling of hair and tissue that can effect penetration.

19-May-18
Diamond stones do not require water.

19-May-18
No, they don't require water, but they do work better when wet.

20-May-18
Big fan of hellrazors. Killed moose, elk, whitetail etc with them. Never had breakage.

Scott

20-May-18
:^) I wasn't challenging you brother. Only making sure you understood they didn't require water to work.

20-May-18
Best way to put a good edge on 3 blade bh's is to use a rough stone (whetstone or diamond) first, slate or ceramic second, and polished leather third.

Water suspends and carries the ground micro metal fragments away from the working edge.

21-May-18
Hands down best name for a broadhead.

• Sitka Gear