Hunter77 22-May-18
bigmartbowhunter 23-May-18
Forest bows 31-May-18
TD 31-May-18
altitude sick 31-May-18
lv2bohunt 31-May-18
WV Mountaineer 31-May-18
20-May-18
Colorado Mountain goat hunt. September time frame.

20-May-18
It's like your bow.... If it fits you and you're comfortable with it then that's the one for you. My September boots are Under Armor and my late season boots are Redwings.

20-May-18
IMO Lowa Tibet GTX !!

20-May-18
I prefer Kenetrek Mountain Extreme uninsulated. Everyone's feet are different. So I recommend going to the store and trying on various boots. You'll know which one feels best for you. The key is you'll need a good boot, that'll give you good ankle support.

20-May-18
These are all boots i currently own. I wouldnt think twice of taking of them.

Zamberlan lynx1015 or cougars 1014, sella 1030. Crispi Nevadas

20-May-18
When you get into the quality boots, I think it is a matter of trying a few on, you will know when you find "your boot". I own and wear, Crispi, Asolo, Hanwag right now, but I would look at these and, Lowa, Kenetrek, Meindl, Garmont, Scnee's and Scarpa, and possibly a couple other high quality boots. You get what you pay for when it comes to boots.

20-May-18
Lowa Tibet gtx

20-May-18
I've had kenetreks and lows tibets.. I currently use Crispi Nevada's and Crispi Idaho

20-May-18
I've had Lowa Tibets and now wear Scarpa Triolets. One thing to consider is boot weight. An ounce on your foot feels like 10 lbs in your pack above timberline.

20-May-18
Russell Moccasin.... Great Boots....

20-May-18
Lathrop & Sons. They make the boot to fit your foot. Best boot I have ever owned!!!

20-May-18
Russell Moccasin.... Great Boots....

20-May-18
I'm a heavier guy with wide flat feet.

20-May-18
Also what socks do you guys like my feet seem to be wet all the time it's hard to keep them from blistering

20-May-18
check out crispi's

20-May-18
Don’t know if they will fit you but I love my Lathrop and Sons boots. Also have loved the Lowas I own but the L&S are better in my opinion

20-May-18
I have wide feet as well. I fell in love with the cabelas meindi Denali as soon as I tried it on.

20-May-18
I would suggest a mid weight/height hiker. I have Tibets and really like them for winter hunting. Although they are super comfortable and offer plenty of support, they are a bit tall and heavy. I've had mtn extremes and returned them the day after I first tried them. On steep, rocky slopes I felt like I was on slits...definitely no something I'd want in goat country.

I had a couple pairs of Scarpa Kailash that I've worn on a number of sheep and mtn goat hunts. They've worked super well. I've also had a pair of Lowa Vantage that are super nice. I just ordered a pair of Lowa Caminos....thought I would try them after seeing lots of favorable reviews. I had a pair of Lowa Renegades that were super light weight but didn't quite offer the ankle support. I like Lowas because they come in med and wide widths.

With that said, my favorite mtn goat/sheep boots have been my Scarpas and several pairs of medium weight Lowas. I really like the Vantages which are fairly similar to the Caminos. I've gotten lots of good use out of my Scarpa Kailash.

A couple suggestions is to scrap the insoles that come with your boots. I usually buy boots 1 size larger so I can add insoles that offer more foot padding and protection from rocks. I also suggest socks with a little thicker padding on the bottoms of the feet. Thorlos and smartwool offer different thickness socks.

20-May-18
I’m a fan of Lowa Tibet GTX as well. Fit me well, overall good boot IMO

—Jim

20-May-18

wkochevar's embedded Photo
wkochevar's embedded Photo
I have never been able to just buy a boot off the shelf and wear them comfortably, flat feet no arch and bony feet.. I have gone to Lathrop and Sons for my last 2 pairs and have had no issues with blisters, hot spots or any of that anymore. Their fit program is certainly worth looking into if you have similar foot issues. They carry all the top brands listed as well as their new line that they build. Took a pair to BC last fall for 14 days for moose and goat without a single problem. Good Luck!

20-May-18
Scarpa aren’t going to work for a wide forefoot. Forest I too am a bigger guy with a wide forefoot and a narrower than average heel. Lowas fit like they were made for me. My Lowa of choice for mountain hunts are the Bighorns. The Tibet is also a great boot, but they run just a hair shorter than all other Lowas leaving me in a size void. (I typically wear a 12, but need a 12.5 in the Tibet and they don’t make that size).

Lots of great boots out there. Give the guys at Lathrop and Sons a call and they will help you find the right boot for your feet. Boots are very subjective. What is awesome for one could be horrible for another.

22-May-18

houndy65's Link
Look at Hoffman boots

22-May-18
Hanwag, Lowa, Scarpa and Meindl are what I've been wearing and once broken in they all are very comfortable. I think my Lowa Tibets took the longest to break in for me compared to the others.

Darn Tough socks and when wet I stop and switch them out. Leuko tape does wonders for blisters, stop as soon as you begin to feel a hot spot, tape and continue. If you wait to long you're done for and a blister will ruin your hunt. They are not fun when hunting the mountains.

22-May-18

Overland's embedded Photo
Overland's embedded Photo
I hike a lot. A lot. For the terrain you're going to experience, stay away from many of the above-mentioned heavy boots. You want ankle support, but you want light and nimble as well.

I'd strongly recommend the Salomon Quest 4D 2 (or 3) GTX. It has outperformed many other similar boots in my personal experience, and should suit your needs perfectly.

I'd recommend staying away from Asolo. Here is a picture of a pair of brand new Asolo boots on day 25 in the Yukon last year. Both sides of both boots completely blew out and had to be wrapped in accessory cord to keep them at all together, which was clearly a liability. The Salomons held up remarkably well for the entire trip.

22-May-18
There's absolutely NO WAY I could wear my Salomon Quest 4D's on a Mountain Goat hunt. I can't even wear the Salomons on a rolling hills elk hunt! You don't need a mountaineering boot but I want a stiff sole when in goat country. Goes to show, different strokes for different folks as far as boots go.

22-May-18
^^^ this

You'll feel every rock and stick with a soft sole hiker like the renegade or quest.

22-May-18
Like you said kota, different strokes for different folks. I've backpacked thousands upon thousands of miles, and have hiked (sans backpack) many thousands more. I've been everywhere from the desert to the high mountains, grasslands to endless scree slopes. The only time I use a stiff-soled boot is when ice climbing or mountaineering (glaciers with crampons). I have Nepal Cubes I use for that purpose.

With the Quests I've put them through their paces and found them to be perfect for me in the big mountains, and have climbed a fair amount of 4th class and some low 5th class with them. I've never once experienced any discomfort due to "feeling" rocks through them.

In goat country I wouldn't want a hard-soled boot. Too clumsy when trying to maneuver on steep rocky areas and cliffs. But, go with what works best for you and increases your confidence, as that is certainly the best choice.

22-May-18
Next up will be broadhead selection for Mountain Goats!

22-May-18
Spitfire 125

22-May-18
I'm not going to shoot one Charlie.....I'm going to run him down and choke him out!!!

22-May-18
Charlie, that's easy! 100gr VPA! Lol!

23-May-18
I just received my Crispy premium boots from camofire, I love the fit and comfort right out of the box. reg $300.00- $169.00 on camofire.

31-May-18

Forest bows's embedded Photo
Forest bows's embedded Photo
I'm going to give these bad boys a run this summer for training and hiking overnight trips... They fill awesome as soon as you put them on incredible!

31-May-18
Hiking and backpacking are different than packing out 75-100 lbs on your back. The non-hunting hikers and backpackers brag about getting packs down to 20-30 lbs.... hunters brag on getting them up to a 100....

Time of year matters too. How well they handle crampons if needed etc...... Many good brands, but I'd certainly lean to mountaineering boots, certainly not light hikers. The Lowa Caminos fit me like a glove. But I'm not sure they would be enough boot, depending on conditions I guess. From my research Lowa tends to run narrow in the heel and mid with a more open toe box. Perfect..... for me..... (Wide sizes I have no idea) And Tibets have a great record as well as a good many fans in the big high mountains.....

Sure would be nice to have a place that had em all and sit down to try them all out. Tough part with those mountaineering boots is knowing how they break in.... which with some I understand it's considerable.

You'll get'er done Forrest..... Good luck.

31-May-18

altitude sick's embedded Photo
altitude sick's embedded Photo
I agree with TD, hiking and Rock climbers use a different sole. Rock climbers need to feel the rock. Also consider a set of ice grippers like Yak tracs. The studded types get slippery on rock. As do crampons. Studs and crampons only work well on ALL ice or snow. Not so well on rock and thin snow/ice over rock. But the yak tracs are light and quickly removed on rock sections.

31-May-18
I’m going to try the Solomon X Alp this year. A Good compromise between a flexible hiker and a rigid mountaineering boot. Still a lightweight and a bit taller than a hiker.

31-May-18
For boots I’m running wellco hybrid hikers. Great boot so far. Awesome support and traction.

• Sitka Gear