Sean D. 23-May-18
Ron Niziolek 23-May-18
kscowboy 23-May-18
Sean D. 23-May-18
JTreeman 23-May-18
DEMO-Bowhunter 23-May-18
antlerless 23-May-18
20-May-18
I'm looking at outfitters for a brown bear hunt. For those of you who have been, who would you recommend and who would you say stay away from. I will only shoot with my bow so I don't want someone who will try to get me to use a rifle.

20-May-18
I have never been, but have looked into it before. Jonah Stewart appears to have a very good following and offers baited brown bear hunts. I believe several bowsiters have hunted with him.

20-May-18

Bowboy's Link
1. Lonesome Dove Outfitters

2. Freelance Outdoor Adventures

20-May-18
Jonahs Alaskan Adventures, especially if taking one with your bow is the priority.

20-May-18
The more important question than what species is what type of hunt do you want? Baited vs Spot and Stalk? Coastal vs inland? Lodge based vs boat vs camp style?

Plenty of good outfitters to reccomend but depends on what type of hunt you are thinking of.

21-May-18
I'm booked with Jonah for next spring.

21-May-18
TEmbry.... Exactly. An easier way to get a brown bear with a bow is via baited treestand hunt. But some guys dont want to do that and hides can be crappy.

Brown Bear with a gun, for a mature boar, isnt exactly a slam dunk so be prepared going in that success can be low.

Good luck. The above mentioned outfits are all going to serve you well.

21-May-18
Barela’s Alaskan Outfitters is who I hunted with and shot my Bear spot & stalk along the coast near Cordova.

21-May-18
I’m heading up with Jonah in a few weeks... let ya know how it turns out.

21-May-18
Took my brownie with Cavner & Julian. Great population of large bears.

21-May-18
Alaska Trophy Outfitters........Frank understands bowhunting ;)

21-May-18
Good luck shug

21-May-18
I'll give everyone a pass on brown bear with a bow, nothing wrong with a rifle in this case

21-May-18
Good luck Mark...Kill a giant!

21-May-18
Good luck Mark. Looking forward to hearing about the hunt!

21-May-18
Good luck Shug! Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

I'm not interested in a baited hunt, wanting to do spot and stalk. I'm wanting somewhere on the peninsula or maybe Kodiak. A buddy suggested a guy named Cole Kramer but he hasn't hunted with him but heard good things. Anybody know or heard of him?

Thanks for the suggestions so far, keep them coming.

21-May-18
One other question, which do you prefer spring or fall? Im leaning towards fall because bigger bears and better hides

21-May-18
Cole would be just fine!

So would Lance!

Or Rich Guthrie.

All three offer hunts on Kodiak or the Peninsula.

I'd go in fall, personally but it can be done in the spring with a little luck. Hell, you'll need luck either way but those three options would get you into great hunting no doubt.

22-May-18
Jonah, Bloomquist, Lance, Rich, Cole, and a dozen others all provide great hunts but those hunts vary greatly. Is this a once in a lifetime trip that everything else is pushed aside for or a chance to expand the season and go during the spring?

Post your wish list and plenty of members here can help steer you to the correct people to talk to. Bears are amazing, but as an Alaskan resident I view them as a spring animal since we have a short fall and a laundry list of tags available. If I wanted a once in a lifetime spot and stalk hunt I too would vote fall. If I want a stand hunt, with “better” odds I’d go spring for the 23 hours of shooting light. I would caution on the mentality of baited hunts being a slam dunk however. Brown bears are smart. Book with the right guy who runs far more baits than total clients and odds skyrocket but it’s not a 100% deal regardless your method of take.

Your trophy expectations dictate a lot too. If an honest 8’ bear (for internet purposes these are referred to as 9’6”) excites you then options open up. If you are stuck on a legit 9.5’+ bear save pennies and go to the peninsula on the years it is open.

22-May-18
Thanks all!!

22-May-18
Good luck Mark!

I'm booked with Cole on Kodiak next year for the spring hunt after talking with most of the names that are listed in here. Looking forward to chasing these big critters!

22-May-18
I'm booked in Fall of 2019 with Lonesome Dove. I have the utmost faith in Dennis Zadra and crew. If they are hard on the salmon, bow it will be, but if not, I won't feel one bit of regret feeding a big boar the .375 H&H.

22-May-18
Afognak Wilderness Lodge.

22-May-18
^^^ Might want to do a little looking into that option as of late, great area and people, but things are changing rapidly.

I'll add, that given the quality of people the Randalls are, I am confident this will all be water under the fridge.

23-May-18
Thanks for the replies! Much appreciated!

TEmbry, it will only be a once in a life time hunt if a kill a giant on my first trip. If I come home empty I'm sure I will have to make another trip. I'm really looking for something 9+

23-May-18
Sean, I can recommend Cole as well and Paul Chervenak of Kodiak Outdoor Adventures.

23-May-18
I know Cole well. Good dude. Heartland Bowhunter did a hunt with him this year. I have his contact info if you need it.

23-May-18
kscowboy, yes that would be great. Thanks!

23-May-18
I agree with Ron, Paul Chervenak is a bad ass on Kodiak. Top notch in my opinion.

—Jim

23-May-18
Cole guides in Paul's area. The combo is what made me make a decision. One year away for me though...

23-May-18
If you are dead set on a bow kill I would go to the AK peninsula on a fall hunt. With a gun I would go on a spring hunt to either Kodiak or the peninsula. Spring hunts you will see more bears but they will be spread out from mountain tops to ocean. With any luck in the fall you will be hunting bears on a salmon stream.

I would personally pick the peninsula over Kodiak for season dates. Peninsula opens Oct 1 and Kodiak Oct 25. Not only do you have way less day light on the 25 but the salmon runs are all but over. I’ve seen some late run fish on Kodiak but nothing that held the bears interest for long. Kodiak is a tough hunt for a bowhunter.

Lots of choices through out AK but the biggest bears consistently come from the peninsula and Kodiak.

• Sitka Gear