Panther Bone 25-May-18
jdee 25-May-18
jdee 25-May-18
jdee 25-May-18
BigStriper 29-May-18
KHunter 01-Jun-18
KHunter 01-Jun-18
21-May-18
My Nephew is going to New Mexico Elk hunting this September and was asking me some questions. So what Boots do you guys use for elk hunting in that terrain and time of year. Do you use a skinny arrow shaft or a bigger one and fixed or expandable broadheads. I told him I would ask you guys for your opinions.Thanks for any help.

Kurt

21-May-18
I forgot to mention he is useing a newer 70# Mathews Compound Bow , and 340 shafts for Deer.

Kurt

21-May-18
I wear lightweight boots that hold my ankles decently. Personally using Irish setters.

Fixed blade heads. Normal arrow, but it's personal preference. No problem with a normal diameter arrow if it flies well.

21-May-18
I live and hunt elk in NM . I use Lowa uninsulated Tibet gtx boots. I’ve been using Easton Axis 340 arrows and 3 bladed Magnus Snuffers bh’s 100gn. We haven’t had any moisture here in about 6 months but bring some good rain gear I have seen it rain every day in September before. Temps are usually from the 30’s in the am to 70’s in the afternoon.

21-May-18
Boots- something broken in well and comfy.

I always used fixed blade because I'm old school.

Any good carbon shaft.

Don't forget the baby wipes...worth their weight in gold I tell ya.

21-May-18
Most spots for NM elk in September can be HOT unless way up in mountains. So uninsulated boots, lightweight clothes, large water bladder, potassium pills (cramps because so hot and lose water). Fixed blade BH and several good choices. Good luck.

21-May-18
Bumped into a guy years ago in 6C (all just unit 6 back then) who hunted in high top tennie runners. Said he could walk around more quit.

21-May-18
HDE, Fred Bear did that too.

It wasn't Fred was it? ;)

21-May-18
Nope. Nick Myers.

22-May-18
what terrain and what elevation? My boot selection can vary with these factors bit never gp wrong with my Lowa Tibet boots....Bu a few of the lower gentler areas I hunt I could use a lighter more flexible boot.

Will be the gila in Sept this year and it will be the Tibets and kennetrek mtn extremea....

22-May-18
HDE, LOL! I remember well when that happened. Seeing nothing but white high tops coming down the hill with a camo clad guy above them was pretty funny!

22-May-18
I love the Tibets but I would prefer something more like the Solomon GTX or if I wanted more support I would opt for the Solomon Quest GTX. I prefer a softer sole in the rocks versus the super hard sole. I would probably go with the Tibets if I was hunting North of ABQ.

22-May-18
I wear elk hunting what I wear every day and that’s a steel toe, lace up leather boot. As long as your feet are used to your boots and used to being on your feet about any boot will work. In southwest NM I was glad I had steel toes as many boulders as I kicked in the dark, lol.

I will say he can’t make it without a new set of Sitka or Kuiu clothing though. Absolutely vital. ;)

Elk don’t know wether the arrow that pierced them is 5 or 6 mm in diameter, they can’t count blades on a broadhead . Tell him to use what he has that had proven itself on other critters.

22-May-18
Innov8 Roclite trail runners if you wanna be ultralight ,but don't count on much support. And every bit of elk country I've ever set foot in in NM has lots of baseball to basketball sized loose lava rock, so I'd want some stability. Then there are the Lowa Renegade for mid level terrain. These replaced the Solomon Quest 4d that I used to love before quality went to pot. And lastly, if I need to carry a heavy pack or if the terrain is real nasty, Lowa Tibets. That's my 3 part boot system.

22-May-18
Depends what feels good on his feet. I have tried several boots over the years but the best to date are my Solomon hiking boots. I can hike several miles and my feet feel great at the end of the day.

22-May-18
My nephew is going to the CS Cattle Ranch, 6430 Elevation ,if that helps. Keep all info you have coming my way,and Thanks.

Kurt

22-May-18
Ankle high, LIGHTWEIGHT, waterproof hikers. I prefer a heavier arrow for elk, more kinetic energy, I not as concerned with arrow speed like with whitetail and put an emphasis on penetraion

22-May-18
Is anyone fimiliar with the area around Cimmaron New Mexico ?

22-May-18
Seriously though, boots with good ankle support since a lot of areas in NM can have boulder rocks interspersed in grass. By boulders I mean cobblestone, river rock, etc. I use what I guess is a 6mm dia arrow weighing in at 400 grs with a "cut on contact" broadhead. Many elk have perished with that.

As far as terminal equipment, don't overthink it. A whitetail setup will work just fine.

22-May-18
I think his equipment will be fine,more interested in the best boots for that area.

Kurt

22-May-18
Carry some duck tape or some white athletic tape !! If he starts to developed blisters have him tape his feet and toes up !! If he develops big, sore blisters it will be a long week. If I’m hunting elk my feet are taped on day 1 even when using horses. Good boots, good socks and some good tape !! Sure makes elk hunting more enjoyable when you can still walk on about day 3.

22-May-18
Something else you can do is to wear those five toed running socks under a pair of thin wool socks - keeps your toes from blistering and getting the normal hotspots. Kind of a pain to put them on at 4 a.m. and almost obnoxious to take them off but worth it.

As far as Cimarron, where exactly?

23-May-18
We hunt near Cimmaron in Unit48. I use the Lowa Tibets up there also or my Danner Elkhunters. You will be better off with a stiff boot with good ankle support and a rubberized coating on the toe. The mountains up there are ALL lava rock. You may see a nice open green meadow, but there are ankle twisters every step. Have fun on the CS, you will have a blast. I saw more elk shit in one meadow near the CS fence than I've ever seem in my life. Looked like 1000 head.

23-May-18
I second the leukotape! Tape once and leave it on for a week.

Regarding arrows: During a week long Sept elk hunt in NM a few years ago, I did alot of stump shooting at ant hills. Wind was blowing hard at times. Needed to know how my arrows would perform at ranges out to 45 yards. Experienced arrow drift up to 18" or so, depending on winds.

Winds would change in a moment...so, soon realized my normal hunting arrows (Carbon Express Blue Streak) were a poor choice for this type of hunting.

After some research and testing, changed to small diameter arrows (Black Eagle X-Impact). These are my go-to arrows for most game besides treestand deer hunts.

Hope this helps some.

24-May-18
My nephew is 32 and this will be his First time out west , and hunting anything but Whitetails. He's pumped . He has good clothes and I think his whitetail arrows will be fine, he's more worried about his boots,so any and all boot information is more than welcome. Even if someone has already said something about a certain model of boot . Thanks for all the info we can get. I'm just trying to help him have a great hunting.

Kurt

24-May-18
l live and hunt in New Mexico. I have tried numerous pairs from under armour, vasque, Irish setter, military issued, and cheap ones from academy. None lasted more than one year of hunting in my unit. I now have kennetrek mountain extremes uninsulated. They are the best boots I've owned so far. Extremely tough, and I love their support in the ankles and sole. Spendy but in my opinion well worth it. I am going on year two with them and every time I oil them up, they look brand spanking new. I love em. A little heavy, but I don't feel every stinking rock on the hill, or roll my ankle on said rocks. Cactus doesn't penetrate them as you walk by. Can't say enough good things about them. I wouldn't go insulated, but that's personal preference.

25-May-18
Wilhille have you used the Lowa Tibets,they seem to get a good review. Just wondering if you have used them and how they compare to the Kennetrek's ,anyone ? The Kennetrek's were what he had heard about before I asked for any opinions.

Kurt

25-May-18
Tibet’s are what I have. Hi top ones, uninsulated. Use different insole depending on if I need a heavy sock or not.

My Tibet’s were comfy out the box. Great boot.

25-May-18
Same here on the Tibet’s, good right out of the box !

25-May-18

25-May-18

29-May-18
Thanks for all your help, you guy's are just great for always helping each other out. My nephew says he want's to try the Kennetrek Extremes and if he don't like them he will probably go with the Lowa Tibets. Thanks again, I will let you all know how the boots and hunt turns out.

Kurt

01-Jun-18
why does yur nephew not get on here and speak for himself and ask some hunting questions he may have?

01-Jun-18
caveat perhaps. the old style tibets were superior craftmansship and materials (to me) and were narrower of a fit than the current version that swallow my foot. As a narrow foot guy i do not like the new model and still wear my old tibetsthat are wearig out. Moral? ya gotta figure in if you are a narrow or wide foot person to best “guess” which boot may work well...

This is alao true of kennetrek mtn extremes which I also own and wear a lot in rotation with tibets on longer hunts.

• Sitka Gear