leftee 24-May-18
SaddleReaper 25-May-18
Bigfoot 25-May-18
fisherick 27-May-18
t-roy 28-May-18
APauls 28-May-18
t-roy 28-May-18
23-May-18
Want to put together a stand and stick outfit. Have used screw in tree steps for years, but they aren't quick nor easy to put in. Climbing sticks look like they might be a good option. In Canada there aren't many dealers, if any, that have any selection of sticks - most I have talked to don't even know what they are. Haven't been able to see any first hand. At the moment, I am leaning toward either the Hawk Helium or the Muddy Pro sticks. Bass Pro shops list both (but the closest store doesn't have stock) and the Heliums are a far better price, so they are at the top of the list. One thing I thought of is I have size 13 feet. With cold weather boots on, the width and distance from the tree might be a consideration. Anything else? Appreciate any recommendations on which to consider.

23-May-18
I had a helium stand and thought it was pretty bad

Started rusting after about a month in a tree...

Stick with LW

23-May-18
I’ve got Lone wolf steps coupled with a LW stand or XOP Stand works great. I’d prob go XOP sticks if I had to do again today because I think their steps have some nicer features like how they stack and are cheaper. For me a huge priority is how compact the setup is for dragging around. I’m with you all the way though hated screw ins for a mobile setup

23-May-18
Can't find Lone Wolf nor XOP in Canada. I contacted XOP to see if anyone in Canada has their product. No one does, and they implied the cost of shipping and duties would make them really expensive. As they are not made in the US, they would likely have a high duty rate. I have also read that the double steps are a really nice feature and neither of these have that, but both the Helium and Muddy Pros do.

23-May-18
I use Lone Wolf but have a set of Muddy sticks at work - I like the Muddies better. The double steps are pretty nice.

23-May-18
Chippewa stand with their brackets and a set of 4 LW sticks. I doubt it would cost all that much to get them shipped into Canada. Go through flea-bay or look in the classifieds on a lot of sites. $ LW stick or XOP sticks and a Chippewa stand will weigh about 20 pounds total depending on the stand you choose. Shawn

23-May-18
Hawk Helium ,great sticks double pegged.

24-May-18
Depending on your hunting situation, Have you considered a ladder stand?

24-May-18
I have both the LW sticks and the muddy pro sticks with the rope. Hands down winner for me is muddy.

My muddy sticks are from before they sold out, so I can't comment on quality of the products produced now. As well as the hawk and xop products I have had are not in the same category of quality as LW.

With all that said if you twisted my arm and made me choose I would choose muddy hands down.

I have been strictly a hang and hunt guy now for about five years. Can't see myself changing any time soon.

24-May-18
Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning toward the Muddy Pro's, but four sticks up here cost 229.99 plus shipping. Three Helium's cost 124.99 plus shipping - that's a big difference. Four Muddy's seem like they would be about right, but 3 Helium's might be too few? They are longer than the Muddy's, but would you want 4?

24-May-18

elk yinzer's embedded Photo
Heliums are great sticks.

I cut mine down to 2 steps and did the rope mod. Of course voids the mfg warranty or whatever but way more functional. 3 sticks with an aider can get me to about 22 feet if I really stretch them out.

I am in shape and athletic but a wuss when it comes to heights. I can't do the single step sticks like LW or XOP and that is why I chose the Hawks.

24-May-18
XOPs have wider steps and stand out a little further from the tree. For me, 59 and not as agile as I once was, they worked much better than the LWs used previously.

Hope you can find what you want. PM me, I can bring a set to Canada with me.

24-May-18
BigFoot,

Have you looked into saddle style hunting? This may be a better alternative to a stand and sticks for your mobile setup....unless you reallly realllly like sitting. If you youtube saddle hunting you will find a plethora of videos...... it could change the way you hunt forever.

24-May-18
SaddleReaper I have a saddle and have used it a few times. Still not completely comfortable with it yet, but that may be simply a matter of practice. For now, my focus is figuring out the right sticks for what I want to do.

24-May-18
I'm with Scrappy,Muddy Pros are the best and suspect I own most of them or have tried them.Pros are hard to find though.

25-May-18
Bigfoot gotcha! It took me a bit of getting used to as well. Out of the 10 years Ive been saddle hunting it really took a turn the last few years once I made some modifications to the saddle to improve ease of use/ performance. Now its pretty much all i use.

To your original question Ive got no experience with hawk sticks but have a collection of LW, Muddy Pros and old leverage sticks (no longer manufactured). Muddy pros are my favorite by far. Ive done the rope mod to the leverage sticks and if i get hawks some day would do the same.

I think it all boils down to preference mostly based on attachment style, beit cam buckle vs rope cam cleat vs versa button.... they all work, but nothing beats the rope cam cleat IMO. If you bought the heliums and did the rope mod you'd likely have the lightest/ longest/ 2 step per foot position stick possible.

25-May-18
Sent an email to Hawk to ask if there were any changes to the new sticks when they come available. I found some Heliums and Muddy Pro's at Bass Pro in Vancouver - a long way from me but they have a few of both. There may be no changes to the newer ones, but before ordering wanted to check it there are any upgrades. Got an automated response from the parent group of Muddy/Big Game treestands. Hawk is now part of the same company as Muddy?

27-May-18

fisherick's embedded Photo
fisherick's embedded Photo
My old Leverage double step sticks modified with rope and lone wolf button with one added strap step gets me to 14 feet. Coupled with my old Cabela's aluminum hang on stand, foam pad, life line, pull up cord and bungee cords make for a lightweight (18#) deep woods stand for public land hunts.

28-May-18

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Whatever you buy, here’s a little tip that I’ve done on my sticks. If you paint the tops of the steps white, it makes them way easier to see when climbing down in low light.

28-May-18
Geez t-roy what do you dog-drag your arse all the way to your tree? How is your 6 so muddy you stain the seat ;) ?

28-May-18
You’ve heard guys say “if I saw a buck that big, I’d probably crap my pants”!

Well.......there ya go!

• Sitka Gear