Firsty 25-May-18
Bowriter 25-May-18
Bowriter 25-May-18
24-May-18

Bowriter's embedded Photo
White Oak Plantation is not what it was. Gone are 21,000 acres. Now it is 1,200 acres. Not the place to go for a 150-inch buck. It is, after all, just outside Tuskegee, AL. and no longer operating as the South's Premiere Hunting Lodge. Like me, it is in semi-retirement. I go to catch fish. Bream to be exact...big bream. I leave tomorrow for three days. I expect to bring back 20-40 vacuum bag of bream fillets and probably, catch 50-75 bass. Mostly, it is just a reunion of my adopted family-the Pitmans. We have worked, laughed, cried and been together well over a quarter century. I was there, soon after the beginning. I am now considered, part of the family.

As has happened to so many of us, cancer has invaded. We hope and pray for the best. In the meantime, there are bream to catch. Big bream.

Two hours. That is all it took for these three ladies to put about 50, big bream in the cleaning shed. I expect to do the same...three times.

24-May-18
Are you going to Bowhunt them?

24-May-18
Them ain't no "brim", they's bluegills! Good luck on your trip!

24-May-18
Nick, I could but the grass carp get in the way. My best is 38-pounds. My best whitetail is 145 and change.

Brotsky-The true name is "titty" bream. That is a true southern term. It applies to bream so big, you have to hold them against your chest to take the hook out.

BTW- Hog hunting is free,pitch till you win, gun or bow or dinnymite.

24-May-18
Bowriter, not to de rail this thread , but since you are a from Tennessee, do you or have you fished Reelfoot ? Use to go there in the 1990',s, went about 3-4 years ago first week of June . Water level was very low , in an already shallow lake. Couldn't stay off the stumps. Can you or do you know how the bluegill fishing is now , compared to several years ago? Years ago we would always go in May and did great . Thank you for your input.

24-May-18
Man you grow em big down there.

24-May-18
Bowriter the big’uns are “pisser bream”. The as so big you have hold them between your knees to remove the hook. While holding them, they are notorious for pissing on the you.

24-May-18
Ogocki- It's not what it use to be but still pretty good. Right now is the time go.

Pisser bream are the males. I have learned to wear a glove on the left hand. Keeps you from having so many fins stuck in you. Catch 30, figure 27 fin wounds. Add another 20, when you fillet them. These bream will provide two fillets per side.

24-May-18
Ogocki- It's not what it use to be but still pretty good. Right now is the time go.

Pisser bream are the males. I have learned to wear a glove on the left hand. Keeps you from having so many fins stuck in you. Catch 30, figure 27 fin wounds. Add another 20, when you fillet them. These bream will provide two fillets per side. Our big one to date is 2.45-pounds.

24-May-18
John did the ladies catch their bream in Tn or Al.We are going to fish them tomorrow up here on the plateau.Good luck Lewis

24-May-18
Did someone say titty?

24-May-18
Yep....

24-May-18
Brotsky, down here Bluegill are all bream. Unless it's a Shellcracker or Pumpkinseed. Don't get me started on Jack Salmon.

24-May-18
John you are living right in my book. Stay healthy and enjoy life.

24-May-18
Best eating fish there is.

24-May-18
I thought every sunfish down south was called a “perch”?

24-May-18
My bream have shoulders this year. Shellcracker (red ear) coming off their beds coppernose going on

24-May-18
Crickets or jigs? If the bite is that good, I'm assuming jigs.

24-May-18
Locally (SE Texas) every bluegill, red ear, goggle eye, and non bass/crappie is generally called a "perch". Of course, most of us know they're not actually Perch.

Crappie are called all kinds of stuff. White perch, crappie, and of course my favorite "sacchaleit" (sp?).

It's funny how folks feel the need to develop their own names for common fish.

24-May-18
White Crappie over 2 pounds are just referred as Slabs.My hometown is “Home of the Worlds largest crappie (5 lb 3oz). We have a crappie drop at New Years actually

24-May-18

bigswivle's embedded Photo
These eat so much better;)
bigswivle's embedded Photo
These eat so much better;)

24-May-18
I thought crappie were called "specks" down south?

25-May-18
With bull gills like that, who cares about deer! My mouth is watering:) Poudre

25-May-18

Okay here you go. (1) Those came from AL-White Oak Plantation. (2) Bream is the common name for bluegill except for red ear or shellcrackers, called chinquapins in LA. Crappie go by white perch, specs, soc-a-lait, which is the French word for bag of milk.

The bream were caught about 50-50 on jigs and meal worms. I use jigs 90% of the time because I am lazy. I throw a 1/16 ounce, gold, trout magnet head jig with a brown tail. All these bream a GA hybrids some are copper nose and they are starting to bed, right now.

25-May-18

Some scenes from lasteryear:

25-May-18
Where are the bucks from the title????

25-May-18

My daughter, Rachael, 30-years ago, she was four and got hooked for life. In case you may not know, bream-aka bluegill- big enough to fillet, provide some of the finest eating, known to man...if you know what you are doing. I place fillets in a salt water mixture for five-minutes, remove and wash well. Soak in buttermilk egg wash, seasoned with couple dashes of LA hot sauce. Shake well in seasoned corn meal. I season with Tony Chachere. Drop in pre-heated 380-degree oil for no more than three-minutes. Just until golden brown. Drain and serve with seafood sauce and whatever else you want. Most people, overcook.

25-May-18
"Where are the bucks from the title????" Well, see, you have to read and comprehend. The explanation is in the very first post. I suspect, right now, they are on one of the food plots. When we downsized from 21,000 acres to 1,200, we took the emphasis off bucks. Yes, we still, each year, kill some of the best bucks in AL. In AL. That means, as I said, 145 is a big buck. And, no, we do not cater to bowhunters. IN fact, we book very few. We take only a select, limited number of hunters each year and there is along waiting list. I am probably, the only bowhunter. As I said, read and comprehend.

• Sitka Gear