Creek chub 02-Jun-18
Creek chub 02-Jun-18
Creek chub 11-Jun-18
nutritionist 20-Jun-18
drycreek 20-Jun-18
Creek chub 20-Jun-18
kauaihunta 24-Jun-18
28-May-18
I planted my first Sunn Hemp plot Saturday. We got a decent rain right when I finished up and a good rain Sunday too. I mixed in buckwheat and sun flowers too into standing rye, pulled a drag harrow and went back over to the farm today to cut firewood. To my surprise the Sunn Hemp was already sprouting. I’m really excited about this plot.

28-May-18
I planted some this year too. Ain't had much rain on it though. If we don't get some soon, all my spring plots are a bust.

29-May-18
did you use a no-till drill? Or simply broadcast on the surface? Did you burn down the rye? or plant into green rye?

30-May-18
Funny I just planted a Sunn Hemp stand(about an acre) mixed with field peas,turnip and radishes.First time for me ;hoping it will stand up to our snow.We try something new every year. 17 acres total;corn,sorgum,millet,brasicas,canola(new also),sunflowers and field peas.

30-May-18
I broadcast the Sunn Hemp, buckwheat, sun flower, lime and fertilizer into live rye. Then I pulled my drag harrow behind the 4 wheeler. The rye laid down real nice. I wished I would have planted the rye thicker last fall but I’ll know better next time.

I’m itching to get back over to the farm this weekend and see how things are doing in these plots.

30-May-18
I broadcast the Sunn Hemp, buckwheat, sun flower, lime and fertilizer into live rye. Then I pulled my drag harrow behind the 4 wheeler. The rye laid down real nice. I wished I would have planted the rye thicker last fall but I’ll know better next time.

I’m itching to get back over to the farm this weekend and see how things are doing in these plots.

31-May-18
I would love to see pics as the crop progresses

02-Jun-18

Creek chub's DeerBuilder embedded Photo

Here is a Sunn Hemp / buckwheat mix one week after planting

02-Jun-18

Bad formatting on my part but here is last week’s pic right after I planted. There is considerable growth already after 7 days.

11-Jun-18

Here is a week two update on my Sunn Hemp / buckwheat plot. It’s coming in pretty good on poor, rocky soil. I’m really liking how it’s tueni out so far. The pic doesn’t really do it justice

20-Jun-18
When one used sunn hemp, don't look at it for a while. It starts slower than many forages but then explodes. It is a warm season crop that needs 80-90 degree temps to thrive. In one of my deer and bird blends, it will be a talking point. It is 1/2 the height of the sunflowers, sorghums, buckwheat and soybeans today. In 3 weeks it will most likely fly past the other forages. That is how it grows.

20-Jun-18
^^^^^^ That's good to know John. We are just now getting the first rain since early May. I hope it came in time to rescue a couple of my plots.

20-Jun-18
Nutritionist. Did your deer forage your Sunn Hemp much?

24-Jun-18

kauaihunta's DeerBuilder embedded Photo
kauaihunta's DeerBuilder embedded Photo

Planted some in May not recent pictures but it’s almost knee high. I’ll get some photos when I’m back there in a couple weeks.

• Sitka Gear