Paul@thefort 08-Oct-18
mn_archer 08-Oct-18
Bowboy 08-Oct-18
Destroyer350 08-Oct-18
Mad Trapper 09-Oct-18
BIGHORN 22-Oct-18
Mathewshootrphone 23-Oct-18
04-Jun-18
The 2018 Draw Stats for Moose are now available, and it's not a rosy picture.

More bad news for all applicants (old and new) who were interested in drawing Bull Moose in their lifetimes:

Resident apps in 2017 totaled 23,775, and this year rose to 45,758.

Non Resident apps in 2017 totaled 1,948, and this year totaled 13,399.

Unbelievable....is about all I can say!

04-Jun-18
As someone with no skin in the game, I can't help but shake my head and chuckle. Wow.

04-Jun-18
Out of curiosity, where did you find these stats? I cannot find on CPW stats page

04-Jun-18
The worst thing they could have done to their loyal applicants. 2 more years to get it done and get out... Ed F

04-Jun-18
Well your information just made looking into Moose results interesting...

My dad has 3+16 going into the draw (there were 2 applicants with 3+16 for the Bull tag in his unit), and 1 drew. So he has a 50% chance that he is going to be hunting Bull Moose this fall, or else he isn't....

Anxious to see if he drew- they are in Europe or Russia somplace

04-Jun-18
Haven't checked the web page yet, but would have expected resident applicants to increase much more than that. I was thinking it would be on par with the deer and elk applicants at 200,000+.

04-Jun-18
Another interesting detail from the draw recap. In the past, many of the cow moose tags allocated to NR's could be drawn 2nd or 3rd or 4th choice. This phenomenon appears to have come to a screeching halt as well. Apparently owing to the onslaught of new applicants. Statewide, only one Cow Moose tag was drawn by 2nd choice. And TEN (10) cow moose tags were drawn by NR's with 0+0 points.

This is somewhat baffling, since these licenses were always available, and the license cost is the same now as it was in years past. They'll still pay the 2 grand for the license, it's just due a couple months later than in the past, and they can use a CC.

04-Jun-18
Watch how many get turned in when they figure out that they actually have to pay the price for a cow...

Betcha there will be a few cow moose tags up for grabs on the leftover/returned tag CPW fiasco...

04-Jun-18
COHOYTHUNTER, they were posted a couple hours ago, just not linked yet on the CPW index page. Click on my link highlighted in blazing red text in the OP.

04-Jun-18
Are the draw stats for the other upcoming species available?

04-Jun-18
Sticksender, do you know where to find elk stats?

04-Jun-18
Deer is here.

Pronghorn is here.

I don't see an Elk report yet.

04-Jun-18
Wow, one of the tags went to a Res with 3 & 11 in MM049... which is the unit I applied for with 3 & 11. Not sure if knowing my odds just increased to 1 out of 11 is better or worse!

04-Jun-18
Well no one drew for my moose code so I guess I'm not moose hunting this year.

04-Jun-18
Please update when the elk stats show up. There's a good chance it will tell me if I drew my hunt. I can't figure out how you are finding the 2018 info.

04-Jun-18
BNicely I'm in the same boat as you. Someone drew moose with my level of points, same thing with pronghorn as I threw in for the hybrid drawing there. This isn't giving me any closure, but it's telling me I'm still in the game with a 1 in 8 shot at both of those right now. This is not helping!! LOL

04-Jun-18
Doesn't Colorado go to next person in line for any sheep/goat/moose handed back in rather than toss the tag up for grabs off the return list?

04-Jun-18
yes

04-Jun-18
Yes I'm up to a 1 in 5 shot at a moose tag at 3+11 in 76, we'll see how long this delusion will last.

04-Jun-18
Well I guess at least the recap tells me i did get my antelope since everyone that applied drew deer doesn't look good and moose is a big no....

04-Jun-18
2 in 29 at 3+17 for me in 49. Maybe........

04-Jun-18
My son has a 10% chance of getting his moose tag.

04-Jun-18
As it shows on the boards now, I’m at 6.8% chance that I drew in the unit 49....

04-Jun-18
16% here

04-Jun-18
When will the actual results be available? Clearly it is known who did and did not draw. Why not make the information available?

04-Jun-18
I have a 49% chance for my deer tag.

04-Jun-18
Sticksender - Nice intel but it just prolongs the pain. Nobody in point pool drew a cow tag in my chosen unit. I have one friend who may have draw a cow tag. We will see. Sandbrew

04-Jun-18
Still can’t understand why they take so long. With today’s computers it seems that it shouldn’t take more than a few hours to run the calculations for all the draws. These draws are torture.

04-Jun-18
I'm a tellin ya, the draw is long done, and "they" are having an office party all week, reading these threads and laughing up at our expense.

04-Jun-18
According to the upper right corner of each of the first pages - Deer was done at 11:37 AM on 5/4 Moose was done on 5/4 at 11:57 AM.

It looks like they took about an hour for lunch then ran the Pronghorn at 12:51PM on 5/4.

Anyone want to bet Elk was run also 5/4 long with bear?

Sandbrew

04-Jun-18
Why put up the stats before the actual results? It makes no sense.

04-Jun-18
Mathewsman I sure hope your Dad drew his moose tag. That would be great! He deserves it.

04-Jun-18
To piss us off Orion lol

04-Jun-18
It used to be "backdoor". Now for the first time ever it's knowing the exact percent chance you have of drawing before the results. LOL.

04-Jun-18
It's still "backdoor." At least that's where they're putting it.

04-Jun-18
With a full twist, Ike! :-(

05-Jun-18
And DRY!

05-Jun-18
Sooo after checking the cpw page about 9000 times i realized I somehow applied for the wrong unit for moose but the good news with that is that 3 of us applied with the same points as me and 2 drew.....

05-Jun-18
Some resident guy drew a Cow Moose tag with 3+17? My guess would be that the wrong hunt code was used or something.

05-Jun-18
My wife's grand dad was one of the 3+17 for a cow guys it was his last try for a colorado moose and will be his last hunt period.

05-Jun-18
I cashed out for a cow myself back in 2012 with max points

05-Jun-18
Cool story fubar! I hope he has a great hunt.

05-Jun-18
my moose odds went from sub 1% to 5% now, 1 of the 4 tags was the archery code, so IF it is me I’ll be the sole moose hunter in the unit, hard to get excited about a 5% chance, but hard to not get excited about an 800% increase in odds and elimination of hundreds of competitors....

Torture...

05-Jun-18
Well, after reviewing the moose draw stats, there were no archery nor muzzle loader tags issued for the unit I picked. All rifle.

Guess I can quit thinking about moose in Colorado for another year... Damn this is getting frustrating!

Two guys with max points drew and the other three resident tags went to guys that were luckier down the line in the random numbers game.

The nonresident tag went cheap at 3+5...

05-Jun-18
Keeping my fingers crossed and working on my bag of magic tricks to pull a rabbit out of the hat for a sheep, goat or moose tag when someone turns their tag in....

05-Jun-18
Has anyone had their CC hit for moose yet??

05-Jun-18
It looks like every 12 hours. Last night at around 830pm my card was hit for elk at 230am this morning I received the email for elk. At 830am this morning, my card was hit for deer. I'm expecting the email for deer any minute and think moose or antelope will start tonight

05-Jun-18
Guess the bright side is that I’m still at max points for moose and will only get charged $3 for the opportunity to play the game.

Maybe next year the Wildlife Commission will implement improvements to the season structure for moose so I won’t have to worry about fighting with muzzle loaders on the first day and there will be a much longer season structure to enjoy for the once in a lifetime opportunity.

Does look like we will be paying significantly more for the opportunity and the tag next year, but maybe that will help the odds of drawing a little.

Good luck to all the guys still in the running!!

And good luck to all the super lucky guys that pulled the low random numbers and got one of these tags!!! Enjoy it to its fullest!

06-Jun-18
Moose is still not updated

06-Jun-18
I just got hit with a $2211 charge from CO!!!

06-Jun-18
Awesome, JR! Congratulations!

06-Jun-18
Just got my rejection email.

06-Jun-18
Rejection email for me....

06-Jun-18
Just got the official email, still in shock!

06-Jun-18
Also just got my rejection email.

Grats JRABQ! Where'd you draw?

06-Jun-18
Which unit?

06-Jun-18

kscowboy's embedded Photo
kscowboy's embedded Photo
I got the Happy Gilmore email too.

06-Jun-18
Man I had my hopes up Was in a 1 out of 7 line on the recap but nope.

06-Jun-18
I drew 76 rifle, might switch it to archery, have some time to mull it over. I chose 76 because it's a little closer to home and I hunted elk there a few years ago. The draw odds historically have been a little better than most units, but this year they only issued one non-res permit instead of 2, so the odds were pretty bad. So I got dang lucky. I was still sweating the last 48 hours as I knew I had a 1 in 5 chance from the Draw Stats.

06-Jun-18

06-Jun-18
JRABQ, Congratulations on the tag!

06-Jun-18
17+3 and no chance now of ever drawing. Colorado has completely screwed her residents....

06-Jun-18
Just drew a cow tag I can’t freaking wait

06-Jun-18
Eric you have 2 more years before the odds really go to hell.

06-Jun-18
3 and 18 plus the 10 to 12 years they gave tags back before points.. Make a bad system...... Worse!

06-Jun-18
According to the stats, there are 449 moose hunters that would disagree that the system is bad

06-Jun-18
Yep, and 37,000 or so hopefull moose hunters that might agree it is :^)

07-Jun-18
Glunt the hopefuls total was actually 58,708 this year.

Last year that number was 25,325.

Those who have already drawn & rifled their once-in-a-lifetime bull moose may not empathize with the rest of us less-fortunates ;-)

07-Jun-18
Still no bull moose tag for me, 30 years this year of applying.

07-Jun-18
Your odds are better to buy raffle tickets for the tag,I won my state wide tag with 100.00 worth of tickets a couple years ago

07-Jun-18
Do you guys know how to get a list of those landowners who get tags for moose and sheep?

07-Jun-18
There are much better ways to hunt moose than to reply on a OIL drawn tag.

And yes, Ive done both, so the empathy is questionable

08-Jun-18
BAM- my dad was successful and drew his CO Bull Moose license... They are vacationing but he knows... I called and did not realize it was 3:45 am on the other side of the world. Kind of like when he calls you Legnard and you happen to be in Belgium

08-Jun-18
Colorado time is all that matters. Just ask all my Alaska contacts. They need to be up earlier anyway lazy songuns.

08-Jun-18
Congratulations to your Dad, Scott! That is awesome and you two are going to have a blast! Hope he kills a monster!

08-Jun-18
Very nice Scott, congrats to your Dad.

14-Jun-18
On my 20th year of applying I finally drew my bull moose tag. At the age of 73 I was just about ready to give up ever getting the tag. My wife and I were on a tour of England, Wales and Scotland when I received the news at 3:45 AM on June 7th. My wife had told the Tour Director the day before that we were going to celebrate our 49th anniversary. He told everyone on the tour about our anniversary and they all clapped. Then, I told them that I had drawn a bull moose tag and they clapped again. Unknown to us, the Tour Director pulled out 2 bottles of single malt scotch, gave one to us and opened the other one and filled up shot glasses for everyone to celebrate. That was very special! I have informed my guide that I drew the tag and he is excited too. Some of you might know that I had an 11 level spine fusion so there is no way I could carry out moose quarters. This hunt will be very special to me. I have always enjoyed watching Mathewsman harvest his animals over the year. That's something a father always enjoys. We would rather our kids harvest an animal than to get one ourselves. Hopefully, I will have some pictures to post on Bowsite in the future.

14-Jun-18
Congrats Merle! Looking forward to the adventure!

15-Jun-18
Good luck, Merle! Looking forward to an awesome story! You are off to a great start!

16-Jun-18
Merle,

thanks for the message. Glad you liked England and had a great time. I couldnt br happier that you drew. I'm excited to see how it turns out for you

16-Jun-18
Congrats Merle on the tag. Can't wait to see the pictures and story!

16-Jun-18
Congrats Merle on the tag and your resolve to keep hunting after the back surgery. Heck, I only have 3 levels in my back and two in my neck fused. You sir, are an inspiration!

13-Aug-18
I had to go in and switch my bull tag from the archery season to the rifle season because my wife is having a hip replacement surgery at the end of this month and she needs me to take her to PT and help her around the house until she get better. I will still be able to use my bow during the rifle season. There was a fee of $25 to do the switch.

19-Aug-18
If I fill my bull moose tag I will have completed the requirements for my GSCO Super 10 Slam. It's tough getting all of the information and pictures gathered up because I usually don't take pictures of my kills. My son, MathewsMan, normally takes the pictures or they don't get taken. He found my first buck antelope picture that was taken in Unit 2 back in 1984 when I was a young and slim guy. We both harvested our buck antelope on that trip. I have arrowed 3 or 4 since that first one but no pictures exist so they don't count. MathewsMan did all his Super 10 Slam with a bow. If I arrow my moose I will have taken 7 with my bow and 3 with my .270 rifle. (Dall, caribou and buffalo with a rifle). If my spine wouldn't be so screwed up I would have tried to do all of them with a bow but that's the way things go. Hope to see some of you guys at the banquet on January 30th to February 2nd in LV.

19-Aug-18
Good luck Merle

22-Aug-18
Good luck, Merle! Hope you get a big one!

29-Sep-18
I leave tomorrow for my moose hunt. I have to be at Ripple Creek Lodge the day before the season starts. I am getting pumped to say the least. Thanks for all the good luck guys!

29-Sep-18
Go get ‘em, Merle!

01-Oct-18
Good luck!

07-Oct-18
Well, I got my bull moose but I did it with my rifle on October 5th. He was in thick willows by a river or Ripple Creek and there is no way I could get him with an arrow. I shot him from a distance of 8 yards through a window 2" wide and 3" high. He dropped like a rock. He has a 46" spread and was estimated to be 5 years old. It was hailing and raining on us and everyone was soaked. We saw a cow and a calf on the 2nd day and another cow on the 3rd day. Close to dark we saw two bulls on the 4th day and one was badly limping. They were on private property. The next morning we went back to the area and there were two cows and three bulls. The bull that was limping was still there but he was packing right back leg. We went back to the lodge and had the owner call the private property owner. He doesn't let people hunt on his land but when he heard that the bull couldn't use his one leg and decided to let us harvest him because there was no way the bull could make it through the winter.

07-Oct-18
Good job, Bighorn! Let's see some photos!

08-Oct-18
I have them on my cell phone and on my email but I have to figure out how to get them to the bowsite.

08-Oct-18

BIGHORN's Link
Delete post.

08-Oct-18
Were you able to salvage any of the meat on the back leg that was injured? Was the injury from fighting, or from another hunter?

08-Oct-18
Congratulations, Merle!

08-Oct-18
Congratulations Merle!

08-Oct-18
Thats great, Merle! Looking forward to a hero pic!

08-Oct-18
Yes, all the meat was ok. The right rear knee joint was swollen but we didn't know what caused it to be that way. I would like to show you some pictures but I have to figure out how to get them off of my cell phone or my History on emails. Any ideas? He, I am told, is a pretty good bull.

08-Oct-18

Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
As far as I know, this guy made it to the rifle season.
Ziek's embedded Photo
As far as I know, this guy made it to the rifle season.
Congrats Merle.

My wife, Cindy, drew a Colorado cow tag. Saw more bulls than cows including a couple pretty good ones. The willows kept frustrating her also, but it finally came together. She shot clean through her cow from 33 yds., while a nice bull stood about ten yards away out in the open.

08-Oct-18

MathewsMan's embedded Photo

08-Oct-18

08-Oct-18
Thanks Scott. I just figured out how to do this. I don't have this picture of Josh and myself. Please email it to me.

08-Oct-18
Awesome!

08-Oct-18
NICE X 100 Paul

08-Oct-18
Holy crap Merle, that's an awesome shiras!

Congratulations on a very well deserved trophy

Michael

08-Oct-18
Awesome bull congrats!

08-Oct-18
beautiful bull. congrats! sounds like a close quarters encounter!

08-Oct-18
Heck yea! Congrats!

09-Oct-18
Dandy!!

22-Oct-18
Any of you guys attending the GSCO in LV at the end of January? I would like to meet some of you.

23-Oct-18
Bighorn I'll be around

• Sitka Gear