Jaeger63 14-Jun-18
pav 14-Jun-18
bloody acorns 15-Aug-18
BDJ 18-Aug-18
Firsty 30-Aug-18
06-Jun-18
Anybody draw Colorado GMU 49...?

06-Jun-18
A couple of newbys from Iowa did. I’d ask for advice but I wouldn’t be able to reciprocate with much. We plan to hunt hard and hopefully smart while enjoying the scenery and experience.

07-Jun-18
You’ve got the right attitude for the altitude! Good luck!

07-Jun-18
ttt

07-Jun-18
This is honestly our first ever hunt in Colorado. Three of us have been building points while having babies (my girls born in Sept and early Oct put the hurt on any western hunt last 4 years). We have one Elk hunt under us in Idaho but honestly are very new to the game. As for deer hunting Iowa, that’s a whole other story wink wink.

07-Jun-18
Good luck. I was holding out for 49 but, instead, burned my points on a cow hunt with my dad this year. I'll likely never catch up to 49 again given all the talk about it lately. Have a great hunt!

07-Jun-18
PM sent

07-Jun-18
Good luck! I’m curious about this unit.

07-Jun-18
So you're the one who got my tag. It should be a fun hunt. I don't know that it's worth the 6 or 8 points it's gonna take me to draw by the time I draw it, but it is a fun unit. ;)

07-Jun-18
You guys knocked me out...lol. Assuming you had at least 5pp. Two years ago it took 3. Hope to catch up. We had 4 this year. Lots of people burning lots of points on 49 this year. Sorry no info to offer but we hunt 45, 55, and 48 so know the general area if you need help with that.

07-Jun-18
Yeah we had 5 points. I wasn’t nervous when we applied but got pretty nervous the last week or so. Actually didn’t know a thing about 49 until we made the decision to apply for CO hunt and started doing research over the winter. Just excited for the opportunity to get in Elk country.

07-Jun-18
I just don't get why people ask questions about specific units. Oh yeah I do...its because they will likely only be able to hunt a unit 1 time in their life and damn everybody else. Man this is getting old!

07-Jun-18
Who is asking questions about the unit? I’m hunting it and I’m not even asking questions. Just enjoy chatting about it. Having never stepped foot on it, any time I hear a positive I get more excited and isn’t that what it’s all about?

07-Jun-18
You response pretty much sums it up. There are elk in every unit, some have more some have less. Every time something "positive" gets mentioned about a specific unit more "excitement" is created and more hunter interest. That in turn makes it more difficult to draw tags. You guys are shooting yourselves in the foot if you ever intend to try to hunt these units a second time. Good to hear you enjoy "chatting about it" because at some point that's all you'll be able do, having the opportunity to hunt a unit twice could very easily be lost to others "excitement".

07-Jun-18
Haha I feel sorry for you. Not in regards to this but life in general. Life’s too short to be so negative. Wouldn’t excitement about one Unit take away from another? Do you get excited when you see people chatting positives about a unit you don’t hunt? Why are you even on a forum about Elk hunting to begin with?

07-Jun-18
First rule about 49, no one talks about 49.

07-Jun-18
Bugslinger has a very good point.. I remember when 49 only took 1 or 2 points to draw. Then it showed up in some hunting magazine as a "sleeper" unit and guys online were talking about it and point creep got out of control.. don't get me wrong, it's a good unit, but it ain't a 5 or 7 point unit.

07-Jun-18
How many points did it take this year? When I lived there 8 years ago it only took 3.

07-Jun-18
COHOYTHUNTER - That's exactly what I'm talking about. I'm not negative at all, hell I get to live 30 mins from the unit. Some people don't understand point creep or don't care.

07-Jun-18

07-Jun-18
I hunt the same unit as bugslinger. Lots of elk and very little hunting pressure. We kill giant bulls every year. :)

07-Jun-18
I would take 49 over 76 any day.

07-Jun-18
"I would take 49 over 76 any day." Firsty quote

Well now instead of bumping up to six points next year....it will probably take 7.....

07-Jun-18
i agree with bugslinger...talking about units makes point creep...enjoy your one time in ..

07-Jun-18

Grasshopper's Link
Congrats on your tag, consider joining the Colorado Bowhunters Association at the www.coloradobowhunting.org

The unit 49 elk herd management plan was just passed by the PWC, found on their web site at the link: http://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/CommissionMeeting2018-6.aspx See the E-22 plan. Every unit is a part of a herd management plan found on the CPW web site. It is public information, no secret, and available to all who draw or wish to evaluate units. Good Luck!

08-Jun-18
Wow....this unit wasn't even on my radar until now!

;-)

08-Jun-18
Talking about units does not promote point creep. Dumping more points than it takes to draw a particular unit does.....for the life of me I can't figure out why CO doesn't take only the points needed. For example since we are talking about 49, if it's a 4 point unit and a guy applies with 10 points, he should be able to keep those 6 points.

08-Jun-18
"Talking about units does not promote point creep"

The hell it dont

08-Jun-18
It doesn't make it creep it makes it jump...

08-Jun-18
49 with 0 points 3 yr in a row

08-Jun-18
Trophyhill,

I have been saying the same thing for years. I actually think NM should consider that option for our OIL tags only. Once you have enough points then put in, it will then be a random draw for those point holders. If it’s a 5 point unit someone could draw with 6 and get one back. Someone could draw with 10 and get 5 back and have a chance again instead of OIL. I’m thinking of VV, VC, maybe a few other really HD units. I would not want PP’s for every unit. All the others would still be a random draw.

08-Jun-18
My son drew unit 49. If he tags out early, we'll head to an OTC unit and I'll buy a tag, if not, I get to enjoy the scenery and hunt without lugging a weapon around. If he gets one and I have to help pack it out, that'll be pay back for when I drew a New Mexico tag a few years earlier and filled it. No matter what happens it'll be a great adventure and I don't have to go back to work afterwards, I'm retiring two days before we leave.

08-Jun-18
Am I the only one that believes in reverse psychology? If I read about y unit over x unit I assume x unit is better and y is the decoy.

08-Jun-18
"I'm retiring two days before we leave." That's how ya do it!!

08-Jun-18
The problem is non residents will only get to hunt a unit maybe once depending on he unit, because of that they will brag about and whore out the info because they don't care anymore. They aren't trying to trick someone, the sensitivity of the information is no longer relevant to them. The willingness of people to help is unfortunately the downfall of units. The jacked up park is it is like the stock market. The points required are driven up by others bidding and speculation and not by the reality of the quality of animal or opportunity. In other words....this is why we can't have nice things...

08-Jun-18
Unit 49 huh. I'll have to check that one out.

09-Jun-18
if only everyone knew that all the units around 49 hold all the big bulls!!!! Oh and they're otc!!!!! Haaaa

09-Jun-18
"but it ain't a 5 or 7 point unit" it is now.

09-Jun-18
My partner and I drew with 5 nr points. Were gonna be thier two weeks and get away from life for awhile. I never ask anyone about thier spots, as that is info hard earned. My questions always revolve around established outfitter camps and avoiding them. Some outfits are fine- some act like your on thier private ground. I’m not willing to roll the dice. If anyone wants info on this unit after the hunt I’ll be happy to give you our perspective from the hunt

09-Jun-18
For Colorado residents unfortunately the game and fish department created more point creep than any army of nr’s could ever have. I borrowed 7k a year to them every spring for 15 years and have not drawn a big 3 tag yet. Nrs don’t like point creep any more than you guys do

09-Jun-18
Next year it will be 9 for a sure draw.

11-Jun-18
God forbid that more people should be out there hunting, rather than sitting home waiting as the enemy shuts hunting down one form at a time...CO spring bear season ring any bells? Whatever you're hunting, wherever and with whatever legal means of take; good luck and good hunting!

12-Jun-18
I hunted 49 last year.You can messaget me for imfo.It's a really fun hunt due to not alot of pressure.It's not worth more then 4-5 points though.I can put you right on some elk

12-Jun-18
Thanks for the positive comments. I’ve reached out to some of you and plan to chat more in PMs.

I’m a Summit county local excited to hunt a draw unit & if I hunt it once and try a new draw unit next time, that’s just fine. To those haters out there crying about point creep. It’s reality regardless of online forums. I would suggest posting in topics that are relevant to you this hunting season. Also, get a life and consider moving to another state with less “point creep.”

Thanks. Have a good day.

12-Jun-18
We got lives..... I have hunted 49 a few times and lived in Park County and Summit County...you need to get away from the computer and strap on those boots...with the some hard honest effort...you could have similar hunts in 49 and the Summit County areas without wasting ANY points and driving the creep

12-Jun-18
First time posting. Always boots first. Thanks.

12-Jun-18
Butcherboy, for a purely selfish reason, I don't want points in NM. I may get too old to hunt my fav HD units by the time I draw another tag. Instead of hunting CO 2 out of every 5 years, I'd be hunting CO 4 out of every 5 years. Not good for the CO elk population ;)

13-Jun-18
Joe, I think your missing the point.. but, firstly, congrats on your tag.. secondly, point creep exists because you have guys out there with 10+ points and start to realize they don't want to wait to draw a 15+ unit and decide to drop their points in a lesser unit.. BUT how they decide on that unit depends on the info they read/hear about online.. so, by talking about specific units on public forums, you do indeed contribute to driving point creep.. I betcha we could try a little experiment and post info on a total shit unit and I guarantee it would create point creep.. bottom line is, if you want good intel, the best method is still boots on the ground and talking to the locals.. you live close enough to Leadville, I'm sure you got some buddies with good information.. years ago, those locals could hunt 49 year after year..

13-Jun-18
I drew it with 5 points. For reasons mentioned above I want discuss openly any details about the unit nor will I ask anyone else to comment. Point creep is a very real thing! Its bound to get even worse as the draw pool increases exponentially in the coming years due to the state's great idea "sarcasm of course" of reducing the price to apply. That may very well be the dumbest thing Ive seen the state do since Ive lived in Colorado!

13-Jun-18

13-Jun-18
Point creep is caused by the system in use in Colorado. If you want it to go away you should never get an elk tag without losing all your points. By offering a very limited amount of tags to a large group of people you get massive creep. From what I've heard, get up high and you will find plenty of elk in 49.

13-Jun-18
Lots of guys with many more points than required drew 49 this year. By all rights we had a chance to hunt it two years ago with 3, now it takes 5 to guarantee. It's a decent unit with high success rates, but from the research I have done, not a big bull/trophy unit. I know guys that have taken elk out of there, but this group has just as much success in 45(otc) across the road.

13-Jun-18
And truth be told, I don't know nothin about nothin in unit 49.. all I know is let's not talk about GMU 37, 371 or 28.. that's where all the big ones are so don't tell anyone to go there

13-Jun-18
Years ago locals could hunt every year in every unit. Just sayin.

13-Jun-18
Point creep is due to more demand than supply.

13-Jun-18
I hunted 49 last year.There is plenty of elk but it is definitely NOT a trophy unit.If any of you guys with the tag have a chance to shoot a 270-280 bull,you should seriously consider taking it.If your thinking there's a bunch of 320-340"+ bulls running around,you will be disappointed and eating your tag.They are there for sure.I had a blast hunting in the unit,but to me it's not worth waiting more then 4-5 years.I'll never catch up again.Don't wait on the unit if you want giant bull.Eastmans keeps talking up the unit,and started the point creep 5 years ago.Their employees intentions are to keep your eyes off the units they like to hunt.

14-Jun-18
Mixed Bag is correct. Someone killed I think it was a 360 bull in there several years back and when the word got out, for some reason the 49er rush was on. I wonder had I killed that 360ish bull in 561 a few years ago, what would have happened had the word got out? Long story short, had that bull at ten yards. I also had tunnel vision and didn't see the branch. All I heard after that was thundering hooves thru the forest.

Point being, you are lible to see big bulls in any Colorado unit. Doesn't make them trophy units necessarily.

But if you're like me, even a cow is a trophy once it's in my freezer ;)

14-Jun-18
I hunted GMU 61 several years ago and that one cost me 11 points. I took a 320 bull but had to work my tail off to get it. Based on my experience I don't think 61 was a "'trophy enough" unit either to require that many points. But....Im sure a few monsters have been killed in the unit over the years and word of mouth drives the number of applicants thru the roof. So I guess my points is.... are any of the really high draw units really worth the wait? Maybe some of those in the NW part of the state are. A friend of mine now has close to 20 points and should draw one of those soon. He has told me a few times now that he wishes he had not accumulated points for this many years. Hopefully when he finally does draw, it will have been worth the wait.

14-Jun-18
Point creep is just a fact of life. When I first began researching low demand Colorado LE elk units roughly 20 years ago, Unit 49 made my final three...primarily based on information gleaned from the Colorado DOW website. Back then, a non resident could draw a tag every other year in all three units. Today, those same three units are 4, 5 & 6 point units....and will inevitably get worse due to the new application process...i.e. "Class of 2018". It is what it is....

15-Aug-18
It took me 5 points as a NR will probably be my last hunt in the area. I think the first time I hunted it - it took 2

18-Aug-18
Are there really any sleeper units anymore? With so much out there from sources like Hunt'in Fool, Eastmans, Gohunt, Hunterstrailhead, and others. I think not!

30-Aug-18
How's the hunting going for the guys/gals with tags?! My buddy there tagged out with a good bull yesterday. Good luck to all! Post pics or stories or both!

• Sitka Gear