Contributors to this thread:
PapaSmurf 08-Jun-18
drycreek 08-Jun-18
PapaSmurf 08-Jun-18
Dyjack 08-Jun-18
T Mac 08-Jun-18
drycreek 08-Jun-18
08-Jun-18
This is to kinda piggyback a previous topic that I posted moments ago called “ ya just never know”

When it comes to gear, you gotta go with what makes you happy. Sure, come here for thoughts, ideas, etc. But you never HAVE to do what the next guy is doing. YOU have to be YOU.

I killed one deer with a rifle, and at that moment decided that I want to be an Archer the rest of my life. One of the best decisions that I have ever made for myself. Since, I have taken deer with multiple recurves, and have taken deer with compounds. I just love archery, all of it!

I regret spending years of my life shooting what the other guy is shooting, or being a traditional “purist”, or chasing speed NEEDING the fastest compound. I’m admitting to being guilty of it all.

Whether it’s getting older, or surviving some trials, whatever.... I like the spot I am in.

Currently, I am shooting a compound Barebow, instinctively. What a blast! I have a Bear compound, with a whisker biscuit, stabilizer, and quiver installed. I have installed 1 string mock (with serving) and I shoot with a leather glove.

For me, it’s the best of both worlds. I get the advantage of modern bow performance, the need for more good consistent practice, and the joy of seeing the results of all of the effort.

This isn’t a slight to anybody else and how THEY do it. This is just meant to encourage everybody to discover what makes them happy, brings them joy! I hope everybody can find whatever “it” is that makes them enjoy archery, enjoy life!

08-Jun-18
Another good post Papa. You're on a roll !

I guess I'm blessed not to have ever jumped on the what-is-Joe-shooting train. My philosophy has always been, "It's my money, I earned it, and I'll buy what I want, when I want, as long as it pleases me". Never have been influenced much by advertising, just listened to what others had to say about various products and if I noticed a trend, I checked it out for myself. After all, when you see fifty guys saying a Thermacell is the cat's meow, you might aughta get you one !

08-Jun-18
Ya, I guess I’m feeling it this morning! Funny, my name is Joe!

Amazing to think all of the time, money, and energy I’ve wasted on keeping up with the “Jones”

08-Jun-18
So you're telling me I don't need a 2019 $1600 turbo boosted 5lb holding weight 600fps bow to shoot arrows at things? That's crazy talk.

08-Jun-18
Personally I don’t buy into the latest greatest or speed for that matter. I have a bow and Sitka clothing all of which I bought used on AT. I love the durability of the clothes and my bow kills just fine at 10 yrs old.

08-Jun-18
Agree with the above ! My new-to-me 2015 Synergy slinging 425ish grain arrows at less than warp speed seem to get the job done, and my FMJs bought from AT fully compliment that setup. My TT rest came from another guy on AT, but I must confess I bought my MBG sight brand new. Shame on me, but there wasn't a used one when I needed it. :-)

• Sitka Gear