bad karma 10-Jun-18
sticksender 10-Jun-18
Bleuchef2001 10-Jun-18
tkjwonta 10-Jun-18
Bleuchef2001 10-Jun-18
COLO 3-D 02-Jul-18
W 02-Jul-18
09-Jun-18
Hello everyone. Colorado native here. I have lived in unit 38 (just outside of Idaho Springs) for about 10 years now. I recently decided to dedicate myself to hunting both with bow and with rifle. Looks like I'll end up with a Mule tag in 38 for archery either sex. I may also get an elk archery over the counter to combine hunts in 38. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. I am taking this new interest VERY seriously. I am and will be an ethical and respectful hunter! Thanks in advance for your time!! Chef

09-Jun-18
Like any front range units that are OTC, spend LOTS of time scouting to find the animals, there has been so much development in the past 15yrs many good spots are now not hunt-able, and the ones that are see lots of hunters. Good luck!

09-Jun-18
Part of my thought process is that I live here so scouting regularly won't be an issue at all. There also seems like a reasonable amount of public that doesn't allow motorized which is a big plus for me. Thank you for the advice!!

10-Jun-18
Figure out where they go when pressured. Because they will move when the woods get crowded. And bring some blunts, I've killed a few grouse up in 38 near what used to be a reservoir.

10-Jun-18
Watch those Mules....they kick!

Although it's a crowded & busy unit, being so close to Denver, on the plus side for you is that you can get that archery "Mule" tag every year, as well as hunt OTC elk.

10-Jun-18
Did I spell mule wrong? Don't like that I capitalized it? Some people live to poke at others. I realize that 38 is highly pressured. But do you think that being able to scout it literally every single day would possibly trump the fact that its pressured? Not rhetorical....I'm honestly asking. Chef~

10-Jun-18
I am by no means an expert, but I lived in salt lake for 5 years, right next to a pretty decent archery only unit of the Wasatch Front. In these near-urban areas, I think scouting time is much less important than hunting time. Yes, it's great to be able to find a huge buck in the summer and try to pattern him, but if a group of hikers sets of camp during opening weekend, or some dog walkers let their pups wander off trail, you might be out of luck. So I'd say that your ability to hunt at different times and different days gives you a big advantage, especially if you can be there when other people typically aren't. As for scouting time, I would scout the terrain and the way other recreational users are using the land at least as much as scouting the deer. Good luck!

10-Jun-18
I really like that angle of thinking. It makes perfect sense!! Thank you for replying! I will absolutely put stock in scouting the people and their patterns. I work mostly from home so I am able to hunt on days most people are working.

02-Jul-18
Weekday hunting is going to be very important. I would also spend your time finding as many bucks as you possibly can. They can and often will get bumped and you will need to have a backup plan and a backup plan for that. If you put the time in, you will find quality animals in there.

02-Jul-18
Bad Karma, a blunt in Colorado can mean a couple of things.

• Sitka Gear