Bob H in NH 13-Jun-18
Brotsky 13-Jun-18
trophyhill 13-Jun-18
Dyjack 13-Jun-18
Bowmania 13-Jun-18
fubar racin 13-Jun-18
Backpack Hunter 13-Jun-18
12-Jun-18
Getting new boots soon. Curious if anyone has ever recorded the mileage, or steps they put on a pair of boots to see the life span?

I'm at a little under two years average life on Irish setter's and put at least a couple thousand miles on each pair I've ran. I consider a "dead boot" holes and essentially no more tread.

Included pic is beginning of last September on my current pair. Snowy winter walks are basically a polio simulator with trekking poles after the end of archery season.

12-Jun-18
I can put a number in years if that counts ;)

12-Jun-18
Years is an okay estimate. But I've found that a pair of boots will last you forever if you're not using them! Hahaha

12-Jun-18
I don't get anywhere near a thousand miles before wearing a pair out. Usually somewhere around 300-500, dependent on conditions and terrain. It looks like yours are worn to the inside pretty well.

12-Jun-18
What kind of soles are on the boots you run, Backpack? I spend most of my time between trails, lava rock and deadfall. I should specify that the last 6 months of these boots life they're bald so maybe I just beat a dead horse when I'm on them.

12-Jun-18
Lol Dyjack. Actually, I only wear my Miendls for elk hunts. When you kill them opening day, you don't get many miles on them ;)

13-Jun-18
I've been hearing about miendls a lot lately. I'll have to check them out. I use the same boots for all my hiking.

13-Jun-18
I don’t get that kind of time out of my work boots usually. Until I went to chippewha’s. I’m four years in on the same pair. I’m sure it’s in the thousands and thousands of woods miles. Showing some wear but, with a lifetime warranty, I get free rebuilds. Setters, dancers, redwing, Carolina, etc..... lasted a year if I was lucky.

Started using wellco hybrid hikers a while back for warm season hunts. Dedicated some Irish setters for hunting only. They should last a while.

13-Jun-18
As much as guys bash Danners, I wear them for my deer hunts. Lower elevation and the ankle support isn't needed as much. But elk hunting and steep slopes, the Danners suck lol. Those countries in Europe near the Alps really know something about building a true mountain boot and Miendls are no exception. Although they do take some break in time.

13-Jun-18
I ordered some salewas that are showing up today. If they don't feel like putting my foot into a heavenly object they'll be going back!

13-Jun-18
I have boots that are specific to species, so I can wear them for at least 4-5 years for everything except Elk and Pheasants.

13-Jun-18
Have to watch more than tread life, it's also foot bed support and ankle support. How much loss in those areas your body can tolerate depends on your body (and age). when my knees and ankles start hurting, I get new boots.

13-Jun-18
+1 Bob, that is important info. I get about 3 years out of a pair before they start to go downhill on support.

13-Jun-18
A good friend taught me something about storing my boots when they are inactive for months. Store them upside down and they don't break down. He's been at this game for 40 years. I can't answer why, but my Miendls are 8 years old and I can probably get another 5 out of them. And yes Dyjack, I do put some serious miles on them during elk season ;)

13-Jun-18
Haha I wasn't throwing shade at you Trophyhill I was talking about average hikers who buy a nice boot that doesn't get used at all. If you read reviews on-sites most of the people aren't putting in the miles we do or even walk the terrain we do. My favorite reviews are "I haven't used it yet but it looks sweet 5 stars" lol

I'd rather hear bowsiter opinions for sure.

13-Jun-18
Here's my opinion, the best for traction don't last very long - Airbobs.

The worst for traction last the longest and are most common - Vibram.

Almost like archery - gain on one side of the fence and loose on the other.

Bowmania

13-Jun-18
I have about 500 miles approx on this pair of lowas they are showing a minor amount of wear not bad for an $80 pair of boots

13-Jun-18
"What kind of soles are on the boots you run, Backpack? I spend most of my time between trails, lava rock and deadfall. I should specify that the last 6 months of these boots life they're bald so maybe I just beat a dead horse when I'm on them."

All types, Vibram, Michelin, Commando, etc. I really don't see much more longevity from one to the other, although they do have different strengths and weaknesses.

• Sitka Gear