Woobie 17-Jun-18
WapitiBob 18-Jun-18
Glunt@work 18-Jun-18
Jaquomo 18-Jun-18
APauls 18-Jun-18
Slate 18-Jun-18
15-Jun-18
Now I know many of us would think "Why dude?"

Well I'm in grad school, and moved my classes this fall to online so I could have more flexibility to elk hunt. While the professors will allow me to submit assignments/tests early and check out for a bit, logging in twice a week to respond to discussions or complete group work is not something they can budge on.

Is there any known way of getting decent internet speed/access in the mountains? I know it could be pricey, but it may be worth it.

I'm not finding much on Google so far, just wanted to ask around and see if anybody knows of an option yet.

15-Jun-18
Knowing these limitations going in I would plan my hunt around needing to head back to the trailhead for cell service at a couple of points during my hunt to check in. A couple times per week wouldn't be bad. I would plan to check in Monday morning at 8:00 am and again at 8:30 and call it good for the week! :)

15-Jun-18
Will you have any service at your camp site? I researched the same last year to see what a good solution was because our camp was outside of cell service and I needed to stay connected for work. I used a Verizon Ellipsis Jetpack when necessary, it worked well for my application but you need 3G or LTE to actually get the WiFi.

I'm not 100% on this because I didn't get too far into the research, but if there is no 3G or LTE service available where you're camping, I think the satellite internet was an option, but was really pricey: http://www.groundcontrol.com/MCD-4800_BGAN_Terminal.htm

15-Jun-18
I'm not sure if this answers your question but typically if you are on a defined peak or ridge you're likely to get decent cell service. You will not find service when you're down in a drainage.

15-Jun-18
power source and RV satellite dish. I think you would be hard pressed to get a good enough download signal by phone or tablet.

15-Jun-18
I use an AT&T MiFi hotspot in my hunting camps and cabin) wherever there is AT&T coverage. Works great and it costs $20 a month when bundled with my other cell service.

15-Jun-18
There are a few satellite wireless hotspots out there. Iridium Go, iSavi, etc. Some good and bad reviews, mostly that they are a bit slow. Not sure if that is on the unit or the operator...... I know plenty of folks that will stand in front of a hot dog in a micro wave screaming at it "c'mon! c'mon!" My speeds at work were so slow I've had people walk away that were using it. I had gotten used to slow. Now I'm much faster.... more like half-fast.......

15-Jun-18
If you can figure out a way to elk hunt while in college and your teachers are good with it you’re gonna be aok! Good luck!

When I was young and combined work time and hunt time both suffered.

15-Jun-18
I attended the University of Wyoming in the early 70's, and I took an ag engineering course for non-engineering majors (we were still using SLIDE RULES back then!!!). The first day of class the professor went over the course and told us what he expected of us. One of the things he said was that if you don't attend class during elk season (rifle), that's OK, because he wasn't going to be there either. "That's why we live in Wyoming", he said.

Damn....I sure miss living there!!!

15-Jun-18
I’ve looked into the Iridium Go! Before. Haven’t in a year or two though. I’ve thought about it for a hunt overseas this year though. Would allow me to keep in touch while I was gone

17-Jun-18
JohnW: Nope no cell service, that satellite pack is likely perfect thank you! I will contact them and dig into it more, but it looks like that may be exactly what I will need.

Charlie Rehor: I agree that both can and do suffer! I really just have to check in and respond to a couple of questions on assignments I submit early, so I'm looking at 2 hours max in the middle of the week.

18-Jun-18
Verizon is head and shoulders above any other carrier out west.

18-Jun-18
Sounds like a good excuse to head into town for shower, big cheeseburger and a chocolate shake :^)

18-Jun-18
WapitiBob is right but check the coverage area if you do anything cellular. At my cabin and west into the National Forest I have pretty good AT&T voice and data but no Verizon. Six miles down the valley AT&T goes away and Verizon is good all the way to the plains.

18-Jun-18
Unless you can test where you are going to use it how will you know if you will have cell service? To be guaranteed you prob need to go satellite, or make a trip into town.

Charlie my work will suffer during hunting season whether I go or not, so I might as well go ;)

18-Jun-18
Where there is a will to hunt us hunters always find a way. LOL

• Sitka Gear