BigOk 24-Aug-18
Wv hillbilly 24-Aug-18
Wv hillbilly 24-Aug-18
Hound hunter 94 24-Aug-18
petedrummond 27-Aug-18
Chris S 28-Aug-18
Rut Nut 29-Aug-18
17-Aug-18
The trucks are loaded and we're hitting the road at 7 tomorrow morning. Get in shut up and hold on we're gonna get some bears kilt.

Headed to pine acres in north west Ontario. We'll hit the ground Sunday afternoon and get right at it. Hopefully have a bear or two down the first night. I'll try to update as service will allow.

This year we've got 5 hunters and one fisherman. My middle brother doesn't bow hunt so he's there for walleye pike and musky. The rest of line up is the old man, me, Andrew, his girlfriend Katie and her dad Pat.

My best friend Greg (Andrew's dad) was supposed to be on this trip but unexpectedly passed away this year in May not 6 hours after his daughters wedding. He will be heavy in our thoughts as this week goes by. Cheers buddy! Not gonna be the same without you!

This will be our third trip to pine acres and I'm sure it won't be a disappointment. Chris runs a first rate operation. He runs a semi guided hunt and gives you the proper instructions and the best opportunity to get your bear. If anyone wants to follow along we'll start with some bs tomorrow on the way there.

17-Aug-18

Wv hillbilly 's embedded Photo
The old man is gonna ride on top like granny clampet until we get to the border
The old man is gonna ride on top like granny clampet until we get to the border

17-Aug-18
Good luck !

17-Aug-18
Good luck safe travels

17-Aug-18
Remember to take your passport. Have fun.

18-Aug-18
Will be some good bear hunting weather next week. Highs low 20's, lows low teens...celcius that is!! Your baits were all wiped out today cameras are working taking pics at your sites for a few weeks now. LOTS of morning pics.

Drive safe.

18-Aug-18
Thanks fellas! Sounds good Chris. Looks like we might have to do some morning sits. Can't wait to get there!

18-Aug-18
Can't wait to see pictures!!!

18-Aug-18
Looking forward to following this one. Good luck and keep us posted as you can. Safe travels and God Bless

18-Aug-18
Safe Travels......Shoot straight

18-Aug-18
Good luck, following along on this.

18-Aug-18

Here's the crew. Left to right. Old man, jay, myself, my girls, Andrew, Katie and Pat
Here's the crew. Left to right. Old man, jay, myself, my girls, Andrew, Katie and Pat
Thanks guys,we'll try to make it interesting. I just finished the first 4hours of the drive. We're about to go through Chicago. I feel naked without my ccw. We're going to stop in rice lake Wisconsin and have dinner with a friend I met on bowsite this evening. Planning on getting rooms near the border and crossing early tomorrow morning.

18-Aug-18
Good Luck have fun. It will be great at PA as you know. Looking forward to your updates. Guessing your meeting WI Teach R.L. and hour away from here. Ask to see the picture of his bear from last year if it is him. Beauty. Enjoy.

18-Aug-18
That's the guy screwball. That bear was a giant!

18-Aug-18
I'd rather try to pour hot water up a wildcats butt than drive thru this place again. Seems like we've been driving thru this crap hole for nine hours. I need to see me some country!

18-Aug-18
I know one thing you need a jet to keep up with Wv hillbillys truck load

18-Aug-18
Hillbilly, Just a thought , when we go to Canada the way you are going , we go over to Bloomington, Il. and on up. Longer way but we miss Chicago that way. Most of our trips we go up thru Michigan , as we are not usually going as far west into Ontario as you are .

From here in Sprinfield, Ohio ,when going to Thunder Bay , there is only a difference of 7 miles. I usually go thru Michigan as I have a cabin there . I stop over , mow the yard and spend a night or two.

When I go to Quetico on canoe trips we don't go up thru Michigan ,as it is too long for that trip.

Just a thought . Shoot some big bears. Will be following you thread on here .

18-Aug-18
Have a great time! I love following threads like this. Thanks for taking the time!

18-Aug-18
Ogoki, thanks for the heads up. We'll go back that way or possibly come back around the top of the lakes and through Michigan.

We just got back on the road. Had a BBQ dinner in rice lake with Wisconsin teacher. Headed to a hotel in international falls now for a couple hours sleep then cross the border at daybreak. Hang on fellas we'll have some blood on the ground tomorrow by this time! Thanks for following along

18-Aug-18
Good luck to your crew and thanks for sharing. If you are able to update us like you do with your coyote thread this will be great. Fish photos count too!!! So sorry to hear about your friend, that must be tough for all. I'm sure you all will think about him often in stand and on this trip. Go get um!!!

18-Aug-18
I take 39 S. out of Rockford to Bloomington. Then over to Indy. Just like Ogoki says.

19-Aug-18
I’m an hour north of Duluth if you need a place to stay tonight. You are going right past my place. Glad to help out a fellow bowsiter!

19-Aug-18
CPA...that is nice of ya!

19-Aug-18
Thanks tobywon. CPA that is very generous thank you but we had rooms reserved and I just saw your post

We just made it to camp. Going to get unloaded and shoot some. We'll be after them in a few. Here we go!

19-Aug-18

Everyone has tagged their vanes for Greg. Hopefully his name gets some blood this eve.
Everyone has tagged their vanes for Greg. Hopefully his name gets some blood this eve.
We've shot bows,are some lunch and are heading out. Hopefully have some kill pics this eve

19-Aug-18
If you got cell service from the stand....semi real time pics would be outstanding! How's the temp there. It's hot here in northern Michigan.

19-Aug-18
JL. The temps are great! Low 70's and mid 50's all week. I would get some action pics but I don't usually mess with my phone while on stand. Also Chris discourages anyone from messing with their phone while on stand. He's got a few funny stories of people ruining their hunt while messing with their phones.

I've got good news and more good news! Everyone had a blast this evening! We just got back to the cabin. Unfortunately no blood everyone but Katie saw at least one bear. Pat saw 2 one shooter but didn't want to shoot the first day. Andrew had a 200lb hanging out all eve. Dad had a 175 running around and I had a 200 come in twice.

Of course these are all just guesses but somehow everyone decided to pass and see what happens tomorrow.

We're working on some grub now and knocking down a few brews. They'll be blood tomorrow! Here's a few pics

19-Aug-18

19-Aug-18

19-Aug-18
Good luck crew! watching all the way from Az.

20-Aug-18

Got some walleye this morning. Ate some lunch and heading out about 2.

Chris went through some of the pics on the cameras at our baits and we've all got some nice bears. Something's getting killed tonight!

20-Aug-18
Found the walleyes!!! Can't wait to see some bears!!!

20-Aug-18
Those are good walleyes.

20-Aug-18

Story coming at ya. Gonna have a few celebration drinks. It might be tomorrow morning before I get it done.
Story coming at ya. Gonna have a few celebration drinks. It might be tomorrow morning before I get it done.

21-Aug-18
C’mon can’t wait much longer!!!

21-Aug-18
Come on WV, surely you have it slept off by now :-)

21-Aug-18
Ha! Gotta love it.

21-Aug-18
Rise and shine...........

21-Aug-18
He must have had MORE than a FEW celebratory drinks last night! ;-)

21-Aug-18
moonshine

21-Aug-18

Ye ha! My heads about the size of a beach ball this morning.

We went fishing this morning. Gonna have a great lunch today.

My stand was a atv stand so I had a 3/4 mike hike to it. I carried in bait and the fish scraps from the earlier in the day. With my bow case it was a little load and I was sweating bullets by the time I got there. A bear was on the bait when I walked in. I didn't get a good look at it and it didn't waste any time leaving when it saw me. I rebaited the barrel and dumped the fish out beside it then climbed in the stand.

I took a pic of the bait once I got in the tree

21-Aug-18

Magnus stinger made a easy trail to follow.
Magnus stinger made a easy trail to follow.
The squirrels were good company and entertainment while I waited. I caught my self laughing out loud at one point. Just a few minutes before 7 the bear showed up. It wasn't the cinnamon that was hitting the bait but blood lust took over and the size of his head gave me the green light. He walked almost to the bait and turned around and walked back the way he came in. About 30 yrds out he sat down and looked around. Slowly he got up and turned back my way. He stopped at 25 yrds and turned broadside so I drew. As soon as I got the pin on him he turned and came in to the bait. He walked to the fish and tried to jump on a squirrel that was hanging out.

I thought he was going to grab a fish carcass but he just smelled them and turned to the bait giving me a perfect broadside shot. I had been full draw for about 45 seconds but it felt like a hour at that point. I settled the pin and put some pressure on the release trigger. When the bow went off it caught me by surprise and the pink nocturnal sailed through the middle of the middle. He didn't waste any time getting out of there and I could hear him crash land just out of sight.

I called Jay and Joe and they were on the way. Thankfully Joe had the atv or we would still be carrying him out. I had him tagged and gutted by the time they got there. So it was just a painful 80 yrd stretcher ride to the wheeler and we were on our way back to camp.

21-Aug-18

Dad and Pat didn't see anything. Andrew and Katie both passed on the ones that came in. Katie was kicking herself after looking at pics of the one she passed. We all told her it was the right call since there are several bigger bears hitting her bait.

All the hillbillies have a bloody look on their faces so I'm sure something is getting a hole put in it today.

Think I'm gonna sit with Andrew this evening and film him shooting one.

Gonna go get some pics with Chris now and see what he says it weighs. He's got a nice walk in cooler to keep em cold until you get them skinned and cut up. Here's some pics. They'll be more blood tonight.

21-Aug-18

21-Aug-18

21-Aug-18
Outstanding.

21-Aug-18

Can't beat good times with friends and family. Was rough last night not being able to talk to Greg about the hunt.
Can't beat good times with friends and family. Was rough last night not being able to talk to Greg about the hunt.

21-Aug-18
Nice, congrats!

21-Aug-18
Thanks for the update and congrats on a fine bear and walleye's as well. Good luck to the others and hopefully you can get one on video.

21-Aug-18
Congratulations

21-Aug-18
Congrats!

21-Aug-18
Well done David! Congrats and good luck to your crew today!

21-Aug-18
Beautiful bear! Congrats!

21-Aug-18
Great thread! Thanks for taking the time & congrats!

21-Aug-18
Way to rep the hillbillies!

22-Aug-18

spike buck's embedded Photo
Andrews bear
Andrews bear

22-Aug-18

Katelyn's bear!!
Katelyn's bear!!

22-Aug-18

Here's a pic of the shot on Andrew's bear. What do you think good or bad?
Here's a pic of the shot on Andrew's bear. What do you think good or bad?
Looks like you got a couple stories coming your way tomorrow. It was a blast sitting with Andrew and recording his kill. Dad and Pat didn't see anything tonight so Chris is moving them to new stands tomorrow. Gonna be two more bears tomorrow night.

Thanks for following along and the nice comments!

Andrew and I had quite a experience on his recovery. I won't spill the beans but it's near the top of the list of stupid and dangerous things I've done in my life.

22-Aug-18

Andrew shot his bear with his dads bow and the last rage he had in his quiver. Greg sure did like rages on bear.
Andrew shot his bear with his dads bow and the last rage he had in his quiver. Greg sure did like rages on bear.
On a side note little brother grilled up some ribeye and asparagus while we were getting pics and putting the bears in the cooler that were awesome. But to top it off he made possibly the best mashed taters I've ever had (way better than any stupid tot has ever tasted)

22-Aug-18
Ha. Tots take last place in the tater race for sure. No self respecting hillbilly has ever doubted that. :^)

22-Aug-18
Happy to see 3/5 tags filled so far!!! Keep it up.

22-Aug-18
Bloods a spillin! Nice job guys!

22-Aug-18
Yeah, right, like tots are the worst thing you hillbillies have ever eaten......;^)

22-Aug-18
LOL! I KNEW that was coming................... ;-)

Looks like your crew is having a GREAT trip! Congrats!

22-Aug-18
Awesome thread. Such a nice get away to read and have a mental break from work.

And congrats to Chris on a running an incredibly successful camp. All the hard work and sweat last few years have really been producing great bears. Looks like the trip is worth going on just for the walleye fishing alone!!!

22-Aug-18
Bout 2 o'clock we head out to stands, grab our bait and we are on the road. First outta the truck is katie I walk in throw the bait in her barrel and on to drop her dad to his stand then me and Dave take the truck to mine. As we get to my bait site get the bait in the barrel and up in the stand we go about 2:45. Squirrels & rabbits runnin around like they just drank a jar of moon shine, we sit waiting patiently watchin! At 5:40 I told Dave today's gonna be the day I don't see one because I had seen bears the past 2 nights and passed them, he said " I must be bad luck" bout that time I looked behind us and seen my first grouse. Alittle somthing else to break up the time. 6 o'clock we seen the brown nose come out then the rest of the body! With bow in hand I look at Dave and said what you think? "Up to you bud" is what he says. After flipping the barrel I thought to my self do you wanna kill a bear or are you trophy huntin? I wanted to kill a bear, and take home meat. I told him Ima let er fly. With vid cam rollin the bear is laying down eatin and goes to stand up I draw the bear lays down... I let down and watch him lay there eatin like a lazy fat hog. Then he sits up and looks away I draw again, back down he goes I hold back awhile and then let back down.. by this time the shakes are really kicking in, I tell Dave I gotta take a few deep breaths! I did and up on his feet he comes I go to full draw, level my head buried the pin on him and thump, he does a wicked jump and on in the Bush he goes! We sit there wishpering lookin at the vid and Dave says" why are we whispering we can talk alittle normal" looked like a good shot so we give home bout half hour and go lookin! Right away good blood so we start following, bout 80 yards in short order cause blood was not hard to see, Dave says there he is laying not 10 yards away in a little dried up creek, I take on step towards him and it gets up runnin, I jump back and look at Dave and he has his knife ready to knife fight it. We back out for another hourish and think hes gotta be dead all that blood and the way the shot looked. Drop book bags off at truck and go back in, we went to where we seen him layed down and there was a pool of blood, we start tracking some more, get bout 50 yards from where we last seen him and he jumps up again, this time it looked like he was comin at us. (He wasn't but sure makes you alittle on edge) as we sit there ready to knife fight this thing(lol) we can still see him 15 to 20 yards away laying down we sit and watch him for 20 mins watching him try to get up and he can't hardly, (no way I could get another shot way to thick) so we decided to back out and try and get service to see if any one else had any luck. We get to the main road and bam service bam katie shot her first one so to her stand we go, (same stand I shot my first one outta 2 years ago) jay(Dave's brother) and her had already found it she had it almost gutted and on to the truck we went with it. We had to drive about 20 mins to pick up Dave's dad and back to my sight we went. I had hung a glow stick up where we were kneeling watching the bear last. Get in there and he's not there(my heart dropped) we pick up blood and track it about another 15 yards and bam there he is layin, as we walk up on him we are ready cause he seems tough as nails, hes dead finally! Get guts ripped outta him and on to the truck we go with him, nasty thick! Although this bear isn't no 500 pounder, this hunt meant way more to me then most. My dad passed away at only 51 back in may and he had been my best friend since day one, taught me everything I know about hunting fishing and the outdoors. I was out at mom and dads house one day short after and seen his bow with one rage in his quiver, (he liked his rage and I didn't care for them so much we always went back and forth with each other bout them) right there I decide his bow was gonna get blood on it, that it did. As close as my dad and Dave were with each it just topped it off for him to be sitting right next to me through the whole hunt! One I will never forget! And to see the smile on Katie's face when we walked up on her, a day I will never forget!

22-Aug-18
Thats pretty damn special. Great story, great trip and looking forward to the rest of the story. Congrats!!!

22-Aug-18
Great stuff guys! Love hearing about all the memories that are being made on this hunt. Congrats on the bears! I really need to get my family up to Pine Acres.

22-Aug-18
Thanks for sharing your awesome hunt with us!

22-Aug-18

Tater cakes! They'll put a professional butt whooping on tots any day
Tater cakes! They'll put a professional butt whooping on tots any day
Thanks everyone! It's fun to share and we'll have this to look back on to pass the time.

Getting ready to head out now. Dad and pat are going to their new baits and we're going to fish near them. Hopefully we'll have some sore backs when we get back tonight.

22-Aug-18
Thank you fellow Buckeye for posting your hunt . Since my wife is still teaching we cannot make the fall bear hunt . Your trip reports help the pain i am having . Our Ontario outfitter did have a spring hunt the past two years for my wife and I . We went up the first week of August and helped set up their remote camp 26 miles out in the wilderness , in the middle of their BMA. We road ATV 221 miles fishing and baiting .

I also re-read my first post and don't want to mis lead you . From Springfield to Thunder Bay thru Michigan verses Springfield thru Bloomington is only 7 miles difference . From where you are thru Michigan would be longer. Sometimes writing things out , my point does not come out as clear as I meant .

The drive around the north Superior coastline is a BEAUTIFUL ride . But like said from V Bay would be much longer for you .

22-Aug-18
What a great day Andrew! I think your dad was with you! ;-)

22-Aug-18
Congratulations on your success and the pleasure of having your dad with you on this hunt! He will always be there on those adventures. My brother and father and I started coming to Pine Acres in 1983. We still come up, my brother and I always talk about how dad wouldn't believe the deer we shoot on our property and the bears, deer, and fish we have harvested at Pine Acres. I know your dad is with you!

22-Aug-18
Good thread!!

22-Aug-18

Katelyn,Dave, Andrew and Jay
Katelyn,Dave, Andrew and Jay

22-Aug-18

Hillbilly Fishing on the Goon.....
Hillbilly Fishing on the Goon.....

22-Aug-18
Congrats to everyone. Gonna miss Greg's contributions to that trapping thread next year. I was unaware of his passing until very recently. This was a great way to remember the dad and friend he was to the individuals in this group. Best of luck to the remaining group and, God Bless you all.

22-Aug-18
JL x2

23-Aug-18

OntarioJoe's embedded Photo
OntarioJoe's embedded Photo
Dave sr and pat got it done! Hillbillies are 5 for 5. Pictures tomorrow.

23-Aug-18

Ktbarn's embedded Photo
Ktbarn's embedded Photo
Rolled up to to my site around 2:45 yesterday evening and Andrew helped me carry my bait into the stand. I walked in telling myself tonight is the night, lots of thoughts of sitting still and shooting straight. Sat good until around 6 and then the jitters an ants In the pants started. It was getting harder and harder to sit still until I heard a loud humming in my ear. I looked up and there was a bright red hummingbird starring right at me. I thought nothing of it and continued to jitter when I looked back up it was landed in a branch a couple feet away starring at me, and then it hit me. Greg, Andrews dad loved his humming birds. I took that as a sign of him telling me to sit still and pay attention. No sooner then that hummingbird fly off I looked over and saw a bear headed my way. He walked in very nervous coming in and out of the shooting lane but was not interested in the bait at first at all. He finally walked to the bait and behind the barrel and I knew then this is it. I drew back and he walked in front of the barrel and laid down. I was weary of letting down cause I was afraid of my bow hitting the arm of the stand and spooking him so I stayed drew back. He continued to lay down for around a minute in a half and I continued to stay drew back. He lifted his head out and I buried my pin and when he stood and he gave me a beautiful slight quartering away shot, I let my bright green nocturnal fly. I was in absolute shock and so relieved I made a good shot on my first ever bear! The first person I called was Kathy , Andrews mom. I told her of the story of the hummingbird and that I knew Greg was telling me to be still and be ready. I went to the road and waited for jay to come help retrieve. We walked in and found my arrow broke off, we continued in only about 50 yards from the bait and there he lay. Jay talked me through gutting him around 15 minutes later Andrew and Dave walk in to us. The shot went through lungs and disintegrated the heart. We took some pictures in the same area Andrew took pictures with his first bear cause it was also the same stand he killed his first in. Andrew told me he shot his and we still had to go get it so we hauled mine out and went on with the night. It has been such an awesome experience with great people at a great camp.

23-Aug-18
Brotsky in my opinion you can't go wrong with pine acres. Chris runs a top notch outfit! Not trying to be a fan boy, but he takes great pride and really enjoys everyone getting their bears. Especially first timers.

Ogoki, sounds like you had a good time. Thanks for the extra info. We're still trying to decide if we're gonna come back around the lakes or back the way we came and loop around Chicago.

As you've seen we had a great night! I can't tell you how happy it made me pops getting his first bear. Growing up he always talked about wanting to kill a bear with a bow. We finally made it happen. He made a great shot and his bear only went 30yrds. I will never be able to thank him enough for getting me started hunting. I shot my first deer sitting on his lap when I was 5. 35 years later I still remember most of that evening. We got his bear out and loaded up then went to pick Pat up. Pat was waiting at the road when we got there and quickly told us he shot one a little before quitting time. A few high fives and hugs we were on our way with the retrieval gear. I was spooked at first. No blood for the first 10 yards We finally found first blood and made short work of the 60 yard recovery. A heavy carry out a hour drive to camp we found some celebration drinks.

Jay just pulled the pork chops off the grill so we're gonna get the feed bag on now.

Not a bad week so far three first time bears and a great time with family and friends.

I'll tell a good fish story tomorrow. Dinner smells to good to keep writing.

Thanks for following and the good responses!

23-Aug-18

Good times
Good times

23-Aug-18
Great week of hunting hard by a wonderful group of people. I know Greg is looking down at all of you and smiling. Can't wait to see the last two pictures.

The back door will be open so you can put a few packs of meat in my freezer as you pass through on your way home!!

23-Aug-18
Congrats to all. A lot of great memories created. Andrew sorry for your loss of your dad and way to get it done :)

23-Aug-18
Sounds like a successful trip all around. Thanks for sharing.

23-Aug-18
Sounds like this hunt is going to be VERY tough to beat!

23-Aug-18
Congrats to all! What a fun thread to follow! Again, thanks for taking the time to post stories & pics!

23-Aug-18

Dave Cobb Sr.
Dave Cobb Sr.
Patrick Barnhart, last of the 5 Hillbillies!!
Patrick Barnhart, last of the 5 Hillbillies!!

23-Aug-18

23-Aug-18
Awesome thread! Congrats to all of you and thanks for sharing.

23-Aug-18
A great trip all around! Congratulation to you all and thanks for sharing it with us. Enjoy those memories!

23-Aug-18

Another pic of Patricks bear
Another pic of Patricks bear

23-Aug-18
Great hunt! Thanks for sharing and congrats to all of you!

23-Aug-18
What a great trip guys! Going to be tough to beat that one! Congratulations on a great bunch of bears!

23-Aug-18
Wow. Heck of a story, congrats to everyone!

24-Aug-18

Our hillbilly bear stretcher worked great
Our hillbilly bear stretcher worked great
We're all packed up and headed back home. What a great time! Thanks for following along and the nice comments. I'll add a few more pics.

Chris and Joe, thanks for putting up with us. We'll be back asap.

24-Aug-18

3' long pike trying to eat a 12" walleye I was reeling in
3' long pike trying to eat a 12" walleye I was reeling in

24-Aug-18
Congrats to everyone, thanks for sharing.

24-Aug-18

24-Aug-18

RIP buddy. Missed ya on this one
RIP buddy. Missed ya on this one

24-Aug-18

Hound hunter 94 's embedded Photo
Boy do I wish we coulda repeated this picture that we took 2 years ago!
Hound hunter 94 's embedded Photo
Boy do I wish we coulda repeated this picture that we took 2 years ago!
As the trip comes to a end and the tires are rollin south east it gives a lot of time to think about the wonderful trip. Many bitter sweet moments for me on this trip. I got to see the smile on 3 peoples face when killing their first bears my girlfriend being one of them, and doubling up with her the same night a memory I will never forget! The one thing I wish more then anything is we had one more bear headed back with us and one more rider! My dad and Dave tought me more about hunting and trapping then I can ever think about and there is one other person I woulda rather had sittin by my side when I shot mine other then the one that couldn't be. Ever since we meet Dave he has grown into a big brother and a father figure in my life and through the toughest time of my life he has been there ever step of the way. He's a class act, grade A guy, the whole Cobb crew is! Being able to share my second bear with him and seeing him just as excited as me when I shot mine with all the mixed emotions I had since I did it with my dads bow was amazing. Can't thank Pine Acres (Chris&Joe) enough for the outstanding trip. I know even though physical pops wasn't with us on this trip he was with us every second! Until we meet again ole man let the arrows fly true and keep the blood shed comin!

27-Aug-18
Great trip

28-Aug-18
Amen brother. Safe travel home

29-Aug-18
That’s what it’s all about, Andrew!

• Sitka Gear