Bou'bound 21-Oct-18
Strapped 21-Oct-18
woodguy65 21-Oct-18
HorbachJ 21-Oct-18
South Farm 23-Oct-18
Paul@thefort 23-Oct-18
HorbachJ 25-Oct-18
20-Oct-18
Anyone ever walked out into a tamarac swamp and hung a stand on the only (tree stand) tree possible right in the middle of a series of trails/ intersections? I did today and am only maybe 12’ off the ground due to a fork in the tree. Think this is stupid? I do have a bit of cover around. My farthest shot is about 25 feet but I can see 100 yds in all directions...Looking for opinions if this is a bad set up.

20-Oct-18
No not stupid. You will jus have to be super stealthy. Sounds fun to me. Whats your concern with this set up?

20-Oct-18
Gotta do what ya gotta do .

The turning of tamarack is indication of progression of the rut . Your right in the middle of things.

This winter go in and cut some shooting lanes and access path to the stand. You have to be clever with how you do access path I’d make it to obvious it will become a deer major travel route . Love tamarack / tag alder swamps not much competition from others. To difficult and to scary for most, especially coming and going in the dark.

All the best’

20-Oct-18
I once had to set up in a twisted stunted tree 10 feet off the ground, had to stand the whole time cause I wouldn’t trim off the only cover branches. Killed my best bow buck first night . Good luck

20-Oct-18
I hunt trees with no cover all the time and similarly very few are good for stands, big cottonwoods and most are leaners. I find decoys really make a difference, if they can see them, they usually aren't looking up.

20-Oct-18
Thanks for the responses, I didn’t know the tamarac was indicators for the rut!! My concern is that I’m too close to the ground and pretty visible. I’ve scent free washed all my Sitka stuff and dried out the rubber boots. I’ll just cover scent everything and set wicks on my way out.

20-Oct-18
The tamaracks are turning pretty orange now

20-Oct-18
Last time I did that had 18-20 deer around me about an hour before dark. Unfortunately just before being close enough for a shot they came in at the wrong angle or picked up my scent on the canary grass. Lead doe went nuts as if she was very surprised any one was back that far in the swamp.

20-Oct-18
Many times, and Many times lower. Grew up in that stuff.

Now it’s Russian olives.

21-Oct-18
Yep. Back in the 80s in Minnesota. But there wasn’t any ‘hang on’ stands then. It was the Baker stands - which made you ‘hang on’ for dear life

Had a great spot. Got in early and the deer would bed right under before daylight. Shot quite a few bucks after it got daylight

21-Oct-18
Hunting tamarack swamp can be great. Although I'd have to have more than 25 feet of shooting distance. That's less than 10 yards.. But would be tough for me to know that my shots are 10 yards and less. That dont happen often. I do think you're on to something though. Not many people like to hunt tough areas. And the deer know that. I'd try and find a more bow friendly area in that tamarack

21-Oct-18
I only have one stand more than 12- feet high and it is only 15. Many stands are placed too high, rather than too low.

21-Oct-18
BW plus 1

21-Oct-18
I’m going to cut a few small trees down and create some lanes. The tree I’m in is pretty much all I have and as far as I care to trudge in. I’ll make the site better and practice good odor control!!

21-Oct-18
Love Tamaracks!Miss hunting them as haven't seen one here in SoDak.Many I used to hunt allowed me to access my tree(s)by walking in water holes or indentations much of the time.Some are bedding areas and care needed.12 feet plenty.

21-Oct-18
its only stupid if the area is void of sign

21-Oct-18

Strapped's embedded Photo
Here is one of my tripods, I do cut shooting lanes.
Strapped's embedded Photo
Here is one of my tripods, I do cut shooting lanes.
Most of our property is tamarack swamp, and I would reccomend a few things. First, get in super early. Get yourself ready as soon as you hear one coming for two reasons. 9 times out of 10 you will hear them before you seem them due to being so thick in there, they can get on top of you really fast. Trying to stand up in a small tamarack tree can be tricky. The tree will sway and move. I have started to use tripod stands tucked tight into a group of pines just for this reason. Also I try so stay out of there unless im actively hunting and limit how much you hunt the area. I love hunting tamarack swamps. Good luck!

21-Oct-18
"I’m going to cut a few small trees down and create some lanes. The tree I’m in is pretty much all I have and as far as I care to trudge in. I’ll make the site better and practice good odor control!!"

If your cutting tree's/limbs down, get some small branches and zip tie them to your stand. Take a small drill and some wood/drywall screws and screw some in above your head/shoulder on your off shooting side. That will help blend your body from the ground.

21-Oct-18
Thanks for all the advice. Sat til 2 today and didn’t see or hear a damn thing. Was a hard S SW wind and I’m in the NW corner. I did do some trimming on my way out and opened up some windows giving me a couple 20-25 yd shots and I did have a Doe come through last night on the trail cam. I’m Still optimistic with this spot.

23-Oct-18
Just hung a stand in a tamarac spruce bog this weekend and have a million needles down my back to prove it! If you've hunted tamaracs before you know the feeling;)

Anyway, two things come to mind. First, if you are sitting in the hub where all the trails intersect unless the first deer to come along is a so-called shooter you will get busted and ruin your chances of seeing anything else...especially once the needles drop, which is now. Personally I'd back off from the hub where you can let deer go by until the one you want comes along. Secondly, DON'T sit in the tree if it's the only one around...get on the ground...they'll pick you off there from a mile away. Also, are you sure the trails there are made from deer? Not trying to insult your scouting abilities, but I always find it funny when guys say "look at these trails!" only to have to inform them they were made by caribou over 100 years ago...sphagnum moss in bogs grows just 1mm/year so it takes a LONG TIME for those old trails to disappear...not to say deer won't follow them too, just that the trails aren't as well traveled as they may appear.

Good luck, got a plan for getting a big buck out of there? We utilize drainage ditches and a canoe which works, as deer don't drag well through bogs much until the snow comes.

23-Oct-18
if you know the direction the deer are coming from, set up the stand on the back side of the tree trunk but allowing an angle for the shot. The trunk can help partly hide your profile some. Then make sure you can draw and shoot with that stand angel and with the trunk slightly in front of you. Just try not to be sky lighted. You can also take a few branches up there and nail then on and near you for more hide.

25-Oct-18
south yes I’m sure they’re deer trails by the tracks in the mud. I have video of deer using them as well. I do think I may be too close but I have yet to see any deer come through while sitting and the pics are showing nighttime activity only. I haven’t sat it much. I do think I may need to both go deeper in and get back off the trails some more.

• Sitka Gear