14-Dec-18

midwest's Link
This is pretty cool...

14-Dec-18
Agreed!

14-Dec-18
Nice work Iowa!

14-Dec-18
Here in the Northeast they would call this cruelty to children. Good for you Iowa.

14-Dec-18
Wow, nice work Iowa.

14-Dec-18
That's a great move. PE is a good fit for it. Several of us in Arkansas teach it as part of the 7th grade introductory agriculture class.

14-Dec-18
Yes sir!! Awesome:)

14-Dec-18
Super cool

14-Dec-18
Good idea !

14-Dec-18
Good but reality to little to late, the peasant/quail/grouse population is decimated and a lot of habitat went to dirt. If it wasn't for turkey their wouldn't be a bird season and the waterfowl has gone in big decline, Ia is the most change state in the union from loss of habitat. When growing up in Ia. it was a paradise for upland game hunting and hunting was a way of life just like playing sports. Excuse me for being a Joe Downer but seeing what it is now from what it was is depressing, maybe the kids can get some of it back.

14-Dec-18
jjs I'm not saying you're wrong. That was the case. But in this part of the state the pheasant population is really rebounding and the waterfowling is top notch. Can't speak for the rest of the state but there is a TON of farmers planting grasses and stuff back. The CRP program is working in this area. Pheasants are in no means back but they are A LOT better than they were 5 years ago.

15-Dec-18
Kudos to these school districts! It's a step in the right direction and who cares what the past pheasant management has been. It's off topic. Maybe if we had hunter ed and firearm safety in our CO schools we could possibly have less "bomb threats" every week as we do now. It couldn't hurt.

15-Dec-18
Very kool indeed

Thanks for the link

Good luck, Robb

15-Dec-18
Hats off to Iowa.

15-Dec-18
Great move in Iowa. Hope more schools follow suit.

I grew up in central WI and we had the Hunter Safety course as part of 7th (or maybe 8th) grade science class. Must have made an impression as I went on to become a Colorado Hunter Ed Instructor and Bowhunter Ed Instructor for 30 years.

15-Dec-18
I grew up in Iowa and even though I left 42 years ago I still hunt pheasants there every year. This is a great common sense program that everyone should support. Only way you will ever change habitat loss is teach youngsters that there is a lot more value in an acre of dirt than dollars and cents. This is a great start.

15-Dec-18
Yes very cool

15-Dec-18
Wow, great.... And shooting programs too...

15-Dec-18
Excellent example of how local school boards respond to the values of the local community. In PA, we have well over 500 school districts and while many clamor for the consolidation of school districts to reduce administrative costs, I oppose such consolidation for the sake of more autonomy on the local school district. Rural communities have different values and needs that urban communities. These type of curriculum decision reflect that.

15-Dec-18
Very cool. In the early ‘80s I took hunter education over the noon hour at school. It was a three week course meeting twice A week I think. The last day the two retired DNR guys brought -gasp- guns to school to show us different types.

15-Dec-18
Good point, Dan357, about rural communities. Both of these schools are in noth/NE Iowa in rural areas, where the culture is, most likely, vastly different than say the Iowa City area, which is the libtard capital of Iowa.

15-Dec-18
Hey, t-roy, did you see the DNR said no to deer sharpshooters in IC this year? ha!

15-Dec-18
I got an alert from the IBA about the City of Ia City wanting to hire sharpshooters again vs issuing bow hunting permits, but was not aware that the DNR “shot” them down! Good for the DNR! Coralville allows bow hunting right next door to them, but these brain dead, leaf licking libs in Iowa City are too stupid realize how much sense it makes allowing guys to pay to reduce the herd by bow hunting them vs paying sharpshooters to do it.

15-Dec-18

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo

15-Dec-18
NEIAbowhunter. I have bowhunted Deer in Clinton & Jackson county for 20 years now. I have seen ONE Pheasant on one private spot I hunt & none on the other. In the hour each way to that private through great cover I have seen ONE on the road. I do see Turkeys & plenty of Coyotes too. Never a Quail. I have a close friend that is a bird hunting nut & he does good out around Mason City on Pheasants.

15-Dec-18
I have always thought our schools should teach a gun safety course as well as adding to CPR, first aid, use of portable defibrillators, how to change a tire, jump a car, etc. (And I'm a teacher!)

• Sitka Gear