Greg S 21-Dec-18
Greg S 21-Dec-18
Hh76 21-Dec-18
Missouribreaks 21-Dec-18
Quick Draw 1 21-Dec-18
Well-Strung 22-Dec-18
15-Dec-18
By a non hunter......

I can't count the times folks have seen my cork board of hero shots at my desk and asked me..... "how do you get them to stand so still???"

15-Dec-18
How many arrows do you have to shoot them with to kill them?

15-Dec-18
Did you catch anything

15-Dec-18
Similar to Forest Bows: “how’d you catch that?” while looking at a hero shot.

15-Dec-18
Yeah Ike.... heard that one many times too.....

15-Dec-18
“Did you catch that”?

When referring to an elk shoulder mount...” how did you get that out? Just carry it out like that? How come it doesn’t smell”?

15-Dec-18
Picture of buck, bow and me, " did you kill that?"

15-Dec-18
"Where'd you catch that one at?".

15-Dec-18
Should we put wolfs in yellowstone?

15-Dec-18
“You get them all around here?” As they’re looking at mountain goats and mule deer shoulder mounts in my Pennsylvania office.

15-Dec-18
Is that from a high fence .

15-Dec-18
Why don't they move that deer crossing sign down the road so they will stop getting run over here.

15-Dec-18
I normally wear a hornpipe necklace that features a grizzly claw on it. Tons of people ask: "Did you kill that bear?"

My standard answer is: "Nope. ANYBODY can cut a claw off a DEAD bear....!"

Pete

15-Dec-18
"What elevation do deer turn into elk?"

15-Dec-18
Drug rep asked me once when I had gotten back from a trip “Well Dr.Edwards,did you get any Bows?

15-Dec-18
"Do you put out corn?"

15-Dec-18
Is it in?

15-Dec-18
My neighbor asked me where do the deer live? I said, did you ever see Rudolf the Red nosed Reindeer? I told him they live in caves in the woods just like the show! He said, Really??

15-Dec-18
Are you going to eat that?

Does it taste gamy? No......it tastes like DEER!

15-Dec-18
How do you eat deer? (insert sad puppy face expression here)

For me specifically, I use a chewing motion and like to chew with the right side of my mouth! How about you?

15-Dec-18
What do you do with it?

15-Dec-18
"Are you allowed to hunt them?" Question asked by hikers on trail while goat hunting

15-Dec-18
Many times questions relating # of points to deers age.

15-Dec-18
Along those up above, I have had a few...

Is it hard hunting with a bow? No it's really easy!!!

Did you bow and arrow that? Yep

Where did you catch that deer at? The forest!

Are all those yours? No, I stold them:/

Are you going bow and arrowing? Yep

15-Dec-18
I took my 8yo sons first buck mount in to Show and Tell @ his school. Kids wanted to see the back side of the mount to see if the meat and bones were still there.

15-Dec-18
Cnelk X1000! It has to be the one I got the most when I lived in Woodland Park, CO.

15-Dec-18
Same as Idyll, “how many arrows does it take”?

15-Dec-18

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo

15-Dec-18
Yep, what Idyll said.

15-Dec-18
Have a great "bow" hunt, Genesis...lol!

15-Dec-18
“Is that an elk?”.....when looking at a mount of a moose, antelope, caribou, whitetail/mule deer, etc.

15-Dec-18
Can you actually kill something with a longbow?

Pretty sure that longbows have been killing stuff and putting food on the table for at least the last 10,000 years. Probably the killingest weapon ever invented by mankind!

Of course, what Idyll said as well.

Most nonhunters are surprised when I tell them most of the time just one.

15-Dec-18
How did I get the deer to sit so still when the trophy pic was taken... True story !

15-Dec-18
A friend of my wife’s looking at my elk mount in our living room - asked where the rest of it was and proceeded to go look on the other side of the wall in the bathroom. Guess she thought it just stuck it’s head through the wall.

15-Dec-18
How many arrows does it take?A whole herd!

15-Dec-18
“Don’t you think shooting an animal with an arrow is cruel? I mean... they are treated so much better in captivity that is why I prefer to buy mine at the store.”

I so badly wish I could show them what I/we do versus a feed lot and slaughter house.

15-Dec-18
"Do you ever eat the meat or do you just bring out the head?"

15-Dec-18
"Is that a 'long horned sheep'", while looking at a mule deer mount.

15-Dec-18
Without question and for thirty years the number one for me is how many arrows.

I always say one because they don’t stand around to take more

15-Dec-18
"You do what, for a living?"

15-Dec-18
Oldie but goodie: "Why do you kill deer?" My response: "Because I've had zero luck getting them to commit suicide."

15-Dec-18
Was checking my bow at the Pittsburgh airport and the TSA agent asked if it was loaded.

15-Dec-18
I am a vegetarian, is it OK for me to eat some of your jerky???

15-Dec-18
How do they get the deer to cross the hiway right by that sign ? This from a neighbor in regards to a nearby deer crossing sign.

15-Dec-18
Not really a question, but a comment I often get that irks me is “well, at least you are hunting with a bow - that gives the animal a sporting chance.” There seems to be a notion amongst the non-hunting public that hunting with a gun is so intrinsically easy that it is offensive, while archery hunting is less so and therefore more admirable and respected. While there is some truth to archery being more difficult, I find it interesting that people who know nothing at all about hunting consistently feel justified to make a moral judgement about hunters strictly relating to their chosen weapon.

15-Dec-18
"Did you see any tigers when you were over there in Africa?" My answer is stock- 'Nope, didn't see a one".

15-Dec-18
Poudre, there are many here that share that same sentiment. They fail to realize that food plot shooting deer is far different from rifle hunting one in their natural environment. I'm willing to wager that the average gun hunter can't hit a walking deer at 100 yards in the open, shooting off handed. Much less one at 60 yards in the woods. Yet, the diehard's blurt out the same old lines about the challenge of bow hunting and, how easy gun hunting is. Makes me wander about them.

15-Dec-18
Are you going elk hunting next year?

Most ridiculous question I EVER heard!

Answer: Does a bear $h1+ in the woods of course I’m elk hunting!!!!

15-Dec-18
"You're going hunting AGAIN?"

15-Dec-18
I live in a very rural, conservative area. Me and my daughter were in the Coop and the manager asked my daughter if we had seen any nice ones. I explained how I’ve been teaching her to be tight lipped. A farmer piped up to my daughter and asked, “well, are you going to eat it if you get one”....My daughter responded, “what else would I do with it”... lol Left the farmer speechless.

I later explained that was a good answer but a better one would be that we eat everything we kill, so that she doesn’t sound disrespectful to her elders.

15-Dec-18
Link: Give your daughter a pat on the head for me!

15-Dec-18
Are those elk? From someone that had an elk tag.

15-Dec-18

15-Dec-18
Where do the deer go when it rains?

15-Dec-18
Earlyriser... that reminds me of one...

I just got out of the hills and a guy is parked at the trailhead sitting in his truck smoking a cigarette.

He asks.... “I haven’t seen any elk have you?”

I pointed from the drivers side window across his lap through the passenger window and answered “Yes there’s a herd right there”. And there was! The look on his face was priceless.

15-Dec-18
You're going hunting in the rain? Will the deer even be out?

15-Dec-18
As a kid I found myself riding in a bus full of college students through Colorado. We pass a colony of prairie dogs. One girl points out the window and loudly asks the bus, "Are those squirrels?" Another girl authoritatively returns, "Those are possums!" No one corrects her.

By far the dumbest: "How can you kill deer? They're so pretty." I always want to answer (in my best best William Munny voice)"... it's easier to watch the pretty ones die."

15-Dec-18
Where do the Deer go when it rains?.Never rains in Az. Do they drink Dirt?..HMM?

15-Dec-18
Do they ever kill anything on the "Live bowhunts from CT"?

15-Dec-18
"You mean they grow those horns from scratch every year??? NO WAY!!"

15-Dec-18
Technically that’s right they don’t grow horns from scratch every year

15-Dec-18
While packing out my elk this year I was asked, "see any elk?"

15-Dec-18
Earlyriser... that reminds me of one...

I just got out of the hills and a guy is parked at the trailhead sitting in his truck smoking a cigarette.

He asks.... “I haven’t seen any elk have you?”

I pointed from the drivers side window across his lap through the passenger window and answered “Yes there’s a herd right there”. And there was! The look on his face was priceless.

15-Dec-18
Did you catch anything? Is it safe to eat? You can kill a deer that far with an arrow?

15-Dec-18
Is it still alive? - In regards to a picture after the kill.

How could anybody eat deer? - After a full meal that included venison. They were told it was venison beforehand

How was I suppose to know venison is deer? - After questioning how anyone could eat deer and then being reminded they just ate a meal of venison.

15-Dec-18
“So when you shoot these deer... Can you actually EAT the meat???”

Kind of the point of the exercise!

16-Dec-18
So do you eat the Coyote after you kill it? My Answer- only the meat between the toes...it is very tender.

16-Dec-18
“When will the killing stop!”

16-Dec-18
'Do you think you are a super hunter/better man because of all the dead animal heads on your walls?'

Some form of that statement quite a few times......makes me think of my overall representation to people.

Good luck, Robb

16-Dec-18
“When are you going to give me some of your elk meat?”

Customer with an entitlement issue.

16-Dec-18
Not hunting, but floating. One time when putting in the canoe at the junction of the North Fork and main stem of the Blackfoot river, two guys walk up and one asks "Which way you going?"

I replied "Haven't decided yet" while my buddy replies "Let's get the hell out of here"

16-Dec-18
"How many Elk do you need?"

16-Dec-18
SmokedTrout........They didn't have BANJOS did they????!!! :-o

16-Dec-18
"Did killing that big buck give you a big dick!?!?"

After a quick show an tell.

"Ok, how do I get a deer tag?"

16-Dec-18
"will it go off?" Referring to my bow as it lay on the ground so she could show her dog it was ok to sniff it.

16-Dec-18
A friend's 5 yrs old son came over and seen my deer mount on the wall. He wanted to go into the next room to see the rest of the deer.

Not hunting related but while filling out a application a silly girl ask 'why where you born on Leap Year'?

17-Dec-18
Will you take me elk hunting at ur honey hole in Wyoming.

17-Dec-18
Do I need to floss my denture teeth?

17-Dec-18
Ambush for the win! OMG you got me LMAO!!

18-Dec-18
Is this a male deer?

18-Dec-18
"What time are you going to be back?"

Worse yet, when you take someone out and they ask: "What time are we going to be back?" Had that once. Instantly got better at the screening process and now everyone is prepared that we may never come home, but chances are it will be sooner than that.

18-Dec-18
Discussing hunting at work. 1: "I don't approve of hunting." 2: "Well, it's better than getting hit on the road." 2: "But that's natural."

18-Dec-18
re PoudreCanyon's comment - similar. "I don't approve of any hunting but at least you use a bow so the animal has a chance and it might be ok if you eat what you kill." Many of our non hunting neighbors / colleagues are ignorant pertaining to any method of take and how many people rely on / prefer on wild game rather then mystery meat. I view this as a possible opportunity to educate. About 2 minutes in - it is clear if they are really interested in learning.

Top of the list, "did you catch anything?"

18-Dec-18
Have you shot an "elkalope"? Yes, this was a serious question, and also yes, an elkalope would be AWESOME!

18-Dec-18
Not by a non-hunter but get asked all the time where can I shoot at least a 350" bull not that far from a road in Wyoming?

18-Dec-18
So, I have a vaulted ceiling in my office where I have 2 whitetails and a bull elk mounted. Patients always ask me where I killed the "big" deer?!?!?!?

18-Dec-18
My wife's best friend is a room mom in her daughters first grade class; she asked me if i wanted to give a brief talk to two classes (50 kids) about antlers because they were learning about antlers and caribou/reindeer because of christmas.

I brought in a dozen sheds including one elk shed; i saved my two 150" locked bucks for the grand finale.

I severely over prepared for these 50 first graders; i guess i'm way to used to talking to adults and 2 year olds (which i have a 2 year old daughter).

The questions were amazing!

3 kids asked "why do deer stair at headlights?"

"why did the bucks fight if they knew they would get stuck together?"

"why do bucks fight?" which i diverted away from the birds and bees to simply a territorial aspect lol.

"Why do their antlers fall off?" ( i was asked this 5 times lol)

"Where is the rest of the deer?"

"My uncle hunts reindeer too"

and of course we had a student mid discussion blurt out "i think i have a bloody nose" as blood ran down his face and all the other kids went "awww gross"

Not a direct answer to your questions but entertaining none the less.

18-Dec-18
One good question i get asked all the time is: "How can you be a veterinarian and hunt?"

My answer is simple; i'm a third generation veterinarian and a 3+ generation hunter. It's how i was raised and what i love doing; it does not take away from my passion to helping animals. I dont just hunt to kill, there is so much more to hunting than the actual harvest. I see and experience more nature in one day in the woods than many will in an entire lifetime.

My vet school class had 110 students, 96 were women. Of the 14 guys in the class 5 of them were avid hunters; clearly i'm not alone.

18-Dec-18
An elderly (nice) lady asked me once, "You don't shoot those cute deer, do you?"

I looked her in the eyes and asker her "Are you a vegetarian?" "No" she said.

"Me neither. Deer taste great." I said.

18-Dec-18
Was going to Wy antelope hunting (rifle) with a lawyer friend. He wanted hunt antelope but has not been off pavementment much. As we are driving across South Dakota, he sees a large herd of cattle and asks “ where do they go to sleep at night”

18-Dec-18
You're going hunting AGAIN???

18-Dec-18
Brotsky, tell them an Eland from Africa next time you hear Elkalope.

18-Dec-18
are you asleep

18-Dec-18
"Are you going hunting this weekend?"

Asked by my wife in reference to the FIRST WEEKEND IN NOVEMBER!!!!!!

19-Dec-18
I have a picture in my shop of me with a 291 lb black bear . Have had more than one ask me if it was dead in the picture. Sarcastically i say , no i weighed it and then it walked away. Then I laugh. They kinda understand then, since I hunt.

19-Dec-18
My favorite is an easy one.

I'm in my garage filleting out a turkey I had killed that morning. A jehovah's witness pulls in look at me with my bloody hands and a half/fileted out bird and asks, "Did you get a turkey this morning" I just smiled and he realized the stupidity of his question and did his talk and out the driveway he went.

19-Dec-18
Not a question more a comment but an older neighbor of mine years ago when I was a boy, said it was nice of me to put out hay bales for the deer..my target was placed about 5 yards in front of the hay bales lol

19-Dec-18
What happen to the deer’s top front teeth??? LOL

19-Dec-18
Just today... while heating up elk stir fry.. one of the only decent looking girls in my office walks in..

"Oh that smells delicious, what is that?"

"Elk stir fry"

"Yikes. I think I just changed my mind."

Well nobody asked you, lady!

19-Dec-18
“Have they stocked the deer yet ? “. Kid behind the counter at 7-11

19-Dec-18
"do you wear camo underwear"?

19-Dec-18
"why dont you smile"

"its an 8 point...it must be old"

19-Dec-18
How old does a deer need to be before he turns into a moose? I have been asked this no less than 5 times

19-Dec-18
Not a question but a statement I hear; "It was as wide as it's ears so it was a 10 pointer", or "It was small so it's a 6 pointer". I hear this fairly often... the size of the frame dictates how many points it has.

19-Dec-18

19-Dec-18
"You kill deer to eat the meet? answer" "Yes I do and so does my family" then I ask "where do you get your meat" answer "From the back of grocery store, it comes on foam tray wrapped in plastic"

19-Dec-18
I have 2 whitetail shoulder mounts and 2 whitetail skull mounts, and an elk skull mount in my office.

It is not uncommon for someone to point to the 280 class elk and asked where I killed that big deer.

I've even had some claims that people have seen deer as big as my 280 class elk running around their house (Missouri, by the way).

Unreal.

I'm about to have a kudu and a bushbuck in my office. I can't wait for those questions

19-Dec-18
Several years ago right after we changed back to standard time in the fall. My wife, who had killed deer with a rifle, doves quail and pheasants with a shotgun, asked if the deer had adapted to the change in time? I said no as I had seen several walking around looking at their watches saying why is it getting dark so early?

19-Dec-18
“Where do you go hunting?” I never give specific info unless it’s a draw hunt or migratory caribou. I do help people with research to locate areas though.

19-Dec-18
My buddy Brad was near a bike path on a local reservoir bowfishing. A lady asked if he eats the carp. He told her he’s strictly catch and release. She said that’s nice

20-Dec-18
I always get the question from non-hunters..........."Did you catch anything?" I always reply yep, but I released it.

20-Dec-18
Does the time change effect deer movement?

20-Dec-18
Would you still hunt if the deer could shoot back?

20-Dec-18
If you were married to Meghan Markle........

:-)

20-Dec-18
scentman, you must run around in your underwear a lot, ha ha ha lol

I get asked if the deer is the same age as the points it has on its head. I think just about everyone gets asked did you catch anything.

20-Dec-18
"How can you shoot such a beautiful animal?"

Well, first I ....

20-Dec-18
gotbow, I go commando! lololol!!!

20-Dec-18
Did you shoot those? Yes. With a gun or bow? Bow. Looks of disbelief. I smile. How many pounds do you shoot? 52 now, I am getting old.

20-Dec-18
Why did you put "fuzzy" stuff on it's "Horns", that looks silly.

oz

21-Dec-18
Which way is down stream? I used to guide fly fishers and we would tell them to set down stream. This was a common question of the clients who had more dollars than sense.

21-Dec-18
Which way is down stream? I used to guide fly fishers and we would tell them to set down stream. This was a common question of the clients who had more dollars than sense.

21-Dec-18
Not a question, but a comment.

"nice bonarrow". Took me a while to realize he was talking about my old bow hanging on the wall.

21-Dec-18
My son wants to be a bow hunter, what crossbow should I purchase for him?

21-Dec-18
Checking in at the airline counter with a bow case.... "Is that a gun?" she asks. "No, ma'am, it's a bow and arrow," I answer. "Is it loaded?" she asks......

22-Dec-18
Just got this today!

"Dude... you still hunt, right? Got a Pittsburgh friend interested in coming to Colorado to hunt Elk. Any idea where an out of shape 50 something guy can hunt elk with out hiking too much but still want it to be sporting and not as easy as getting out of a car and shooting one."

• Sitka Gear