t-roy 12-Feb-19
WV Mountaineer 12-Feb-19
DMTJAGER 14-Feb-19
wildlifehunter 18-Feb-19
playin' hookey 18-Feb-19
air leak 18-Feb-19
DMTJAGER 19-Feb-19
12-Feb-19
I have bought a couple mouth calls over the past few years and am by far no expert. My problem is that after using a mouth call for a couple of months they all get dirty and nasty to the point I don’t want to use them anymore and am forced to get new ones. Is there a way to dry out, clean your mouthcalls after use and also if they inevitably get dirty what is the point you stop using them

12-Feb-19
I normally soak mine in mouthwash after I use them then rinse them in clean water. Also have some little wire formed pieces that you can slide between the reeds to hold them apart while they dry.

12-Feb-19
Did you make those wires or by them from somewhere

12-Feb-19

GhostBird's embedded Photo
GhostBird's embedded Photo
Mouthwash rinse followed by cold water. Don't leave them soaking in mouthwash. Put toothpicks between the reeds to keep them separated at least until dry. I carry mine in a rubber "coin" holder in the field to keep them clean.

12-Feb-19
Toothpicks between the reeds after a dunk in mouthwash and a rinse.

12-Feb-19
Bass the wires came with some soft call cases I bought years ago.

12-Feb-19
Thanks everyone

12-Feb-19
I don't call in any turkeys until they have some grit in them. It makes them a little more raspy!! :)-

12-Feb-19
I try and find the ones I used last year, where ever I left them put them in my mouth and start where I left off last year. Never have had to stop hunting and go to the doctor yet.

12-Feb-19
You clean em? It's just a little dirt and crud..... Elk calls, not turkey..... by the end of the season pretty well blow out anyway..... If I was worried about a bit of dirt and crud I'd wash myself first before any calls. Seems I not all that worried..... =D

12-Feb-19
I don’t clean mine either. Keeps my hunting buddies from wanting to borrow them.

12-Feb-19
I get sick the following year if I don't dunk them in mouth wash. No problems with the dirt. Just some kind of crud that leaves me with sinus problems and a sore throat.

14-Feb-19
I use strictly Primos double and triple reed stacked calls. They use a piece of aluminum to separate the reeds. As has been stated previously I rinse mine with warm water and scope mouth wash. I then buy VERY small screw top clear plastic containers like ones you would use for salad dressing, cut a piece of 1/2" thick sponge to fit and dampen but not soak the sponge with Scope mouth wash and store up to 4 or 5 calls in each container and refrigerate.

I do not exaggerate one bit when I say storing my calls this way they last for YEARS. I love these calls so much I bought a butt load and store them all this way in the refrigerator.

Using these calls when conditions were right, I have called toms and jakes in from over 400 LRF confirmed yards away off a neighboring field into gun range on many occasions. Nothing beats a mouth call for volume.

18-Feb-19
Have some calls that are 2-4 years old work fine. Rinse with water when done store in call box/ holder in refrigerator until next time.

18-Feb-19
I have found that the key to preserving mouth calls is never letting them dry out. I keep them in a jar of tap water in the refrigerator. When I hunt I keep them in a small plastic container full of tap water, or in my mouth. When I get home from the hunt the first thing I do is rinse under running water and return to the jar in the fridge. I have preserved favorite calls from one season to the next this way.

18-Feb-19
When I finished hunting for the day, I take the call out of my mouth and put it back into the small plastic box, and then into my turkey vest.

The next morning, I open the box, and put the call into my mouth.

If, after a couple or 3 years, the call dries out, I buy new ones.

Cripe sakes, they are less than 10 bucks..

19-Feb-19
No offence air leak, but I have tried way to many different diaphragm calls to admit to before finally finding one I could use. Primos are the only calls I can use well enough to call in birds. I tried for years to master diaphragm turkey calls but failed miserably. Then I stumbled across a call manufacturer at a REMF convention selling stacked diaphragm elk calls and along with his excellent instructional DVDs sold me his calls which I still have. I became very good with his calls making any elk sound you can name. Then it dawned on me to try using his calls to make turkey sounds and they worked pretty d***n good. Then soon after Primos came out with a near identical call design but for turkeys that I tried and found it worked great. Finding the FEW particular Primos models I can use has been getting more difficult every year. This year I found them at only a few stores all on line and save for one place they went up considerably in price. Primos no longer lists them at their website so I am going to take that to mean they are going to discontinue production. So I ordered what I felt I would need for the number of turkey seasons I likely have left based on getting 4-5 seasons out of a call. I take extreme care of my calls as they are the only ones I can use and can use them very well indeed. I stopped giving different call designs a try as none ever worked for me.

• Sitka Gear