JLeMieux 21-Feb-19
Ermine 22-Feb-19
midwest 23-Feb-19
Shawn 23-Feb-19
MtnOak 03-Mar-19
MtnOak 03-Mar-19
lewis 03-Mar-19
21-Feb-19
Im in the market for a new truck camp tent. I know I can get by with a cheap Walmart version. I have for the last 4 years, recent snow storm put an end to it. She did well for the $100 we spent on it. I don't want to spend a fortune on this thing cause I don't truck camp a ton and usually in decent weather. Here's my wants list.....

1. Lots of room....would like to be able to fit 4 cabelas cots 2. Easy set up, not looking for a wall tent or anything thats big to store 3. Ability to stand up inside somewhere close to 6' would be nice

I guess I'm just looking for something cheap, that will be big and fit me and my boys for a quick night or two, can handle some snow every now and then but doesnt have to be 3 season or anything special. This isn't our main mode. Any ideas or what are you guys using that would work for this?

21-Feb-19
Kodiak Canvas 10 x 14 deluxe. tight for four and gear but doable and quality.

21-Feb-19
Kentuckbowhnter beat me to it. Great tent! Will be tight with 4 and gear, but if you can leave your gear in the truck or outside you'll be ok.

21-Feb-19
Depending on what you consider needed gear to go in a tent, I am able to take up no more room than the footprint of my cot. Love my Kodiak Canvas 10x14. As has been stated, a little tight for 4 but doable.

21-Feb-19
Kodiak canvas great tent!!

21-Feb-19

midwest's Link
Kodiak Canvas from Competitive Edge.

21-Feb-19
Guys that have the Kodiak, what size do you recommend for two people with cots? I am thinking 10x14?

21-Feb-19
For your gear, buy garage sale suitcases that will fit under the cot. Nice thing about them is they are rectangular and make packing in the truck a lot easier.

Take graph paper, mark out the tent and then cut paper to place the cots, stove, table and see what you really have. Be sure to account for sloped walls since the floor size is not what you really get.

Did it when we built in 2014 since we had a bunch of rosewood furniture from Hong Kong and it really allowed better planning.

21-Feb-19
Riplip, yes, 10x14 for 2 guys. I have a 10x10 for my solo trips.

21-Feb-19
riplip- per Midwest. I have the 10x14. All kinds of room when solo.

21-Feb-19
Kodiak Canvas 10x14 :)

21-Feb-19
Do you think the deluxe with more windows is the better option? Cost more up front but thinking id rather have the option of ventilation for warm days or does the tent stay cool enough on warm days.

21-Feb-19
Kodiak Canvas 10x14. Might be tight for four, good for three, great for two. Spend the extra 100.00 and get the vestibule. I use the Cabelas large outfitter cots.

21-Feb-19
Please consider the original made in USA version of referenced tent by Springbar. I don't have one but I know BB was/is a big fan.

21-Feb-19
10x14 Kodiak fits 3 people and a folding table just fine for us.

--Mitch

21-Feb-19
Kodiak 10 by 14 for what you described. Or Alaskan guide 8 man if three is the norm.

21-Feb-19
if you not that picky Craigslist will get you pennies on the dollar

21-Feb-19
Cabelas Alaskan Guide

21-Feb-19
Use AK Guide for 3 with cots on a dozen Haul Road trips. Great and plenty of room but you don't want to be cooking in it or storing much other than personal gear.

It's a real example of how much room you lose with the sloped walls.

21-Feb-19
I purchased a Kodiak tent couple years ago -- far and away the best tent I've ever owned. 10 x 14, on sale less than $500.00. Took it out of the box and had it up in less than 7 minutes by myself. (They say "up in less than 5 minutes) Which I could have done if I had hurried. Follow the directions to "cure" (water proof) it. The reviews were great.

Used it in CO last year and we had a torrential down poor with 40+ winds - not one drop inside and handled the wind just fine.

Would highly recommend this tent for a base camp.

21-Feb-19
Dpat, yes the extra windows were great on warm days. spent 12 days at 10,000 feet last fall with two of us in the 10x14 and it had plenty of room.

21-Feb-19
Daaang.....lots of good things said about kodiak. That makes things easy. You guys got any pics in action? Especially some with cots set up. I won't be cooking in there. Thanks fellas

21-Feb-19
12 yr old 10\14 amazing tent. Fast must be able to stake floor all way around (no rocks) then up it goes. Weird little amenities inside like overhead clothe hanging and organizers hanging too.. Stays cool on summer mornings to let family sleep in while I fish. Hard to say enough about it really...little buddy friendly and venting options to keep you alive. 80lbs of weight rubber floor cool stuff.

21-Feb-19
Kodiak for sure. Heater buddy for winter hunts. tough and easy tent.

21-Feb-19
We have a 10 x 14. Did 4 guys with cots one year. It was very tight but we stored necessary items under our cots and everything else was in an enclosed trailer right outside. 2 people and gear is ideal though. I would definitely go with the more ventilated option, they can get warm.

22-Feb-19
Kifaru tipi

23-Feb-19
I've never needed the extra windows....the standard model windows on the front and back zip down to dang near the floor. Might be different if I was using it more in the summer. Mine is just the 10 x 10, though.

23-Feb-19
Yup buy the Kodiak 10x14 deluxe with the vestibule, bownut has it right. I do not own one but have hunted out of my buddies several times. 2 guys it is really nice, we did 4 with the vestibule and as has been said if you know how to compact stuff down in tote or suitcases it works pretty well. 2 people its the Cats ass!! Shawn

03-Mar-19

MtnOak's embedded Photo
MtnOak's embedded Photo
Alaskan Guide will do for sure, I've changed over to a truck topper on my solo hunts

03-Mar-19

MtnOak's embedded Photo
MtnOak's embedded Photo

03-Mar-19
Anyone tried the Napier truck tents looks interesting Lewis

• Sitka Gear