Wooddamon1 10-May-19
BULELK1 13-May-19
midwest 13-May-19
ROUGHCOUNTRY 14-May-19
22-Apr-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
'morning All,

Putting together some menu meals for this up coming spring camping/scouting trip and I'm liking some of my meals from past scouting/hunting trips.

I've kinda gotten more and more into the BBQ gig in camp.

Any others have a FAV meal----------->

Good Luck, Robb

22-Apr-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
I like a good roast to start the trip out for some delicious Left Over sandwiches
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I like a good roast to start the trip out for some delicious Left Over sandwiches

22-Apr-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
After the Harvest and pack out is completed a good Celebration Steak is always enjoyable
BULELK1's embedded Photo
After the Harvest and pack out is completed a good Celebration Steak is always enjoyable

22-Apr-19

midwest's Link
Check out BBQ Pit Boys on YouTube. Lots of good recipes and their vids are just a hoot to watch.

22-Apr-19

badguybuster's embedded Photo
badguybuster's embedded Photo
Okay this one always a hit. Butterfly out a backstrap and then use a rolling pin to flatten it out. Season to taste.

Put a thick layer of ricotta cheese then add diced bell peppers, jalapenos (if you like them), and baby spinach. Roll it up and tie it all closed. Sear it to seal the juices and then wrap in foil and cook slowly for an hour.

The side dish if the left over diced peppers and red skin potatoes.

22-Apr-19
cant go wrong with 1 or 2 chickens in a round water smoker. get the coals going add water pan with potatoes onions & carrots added then birds on rack & whichever wood you prefer (I like maskeet) & forget about it. a few hours later ya got falling apart dripping juicy smoked bird. remove veggies & thicken remaining water - broth into gravy & mmmmmmm

22-Apr-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Cant beat the walleye fry at elk camp

22-Apr-19

wooddamon1's embedded Photo
Cast iron venison tenderloins with mushrooms, onions and canned beans with a glass of red or a dark beer.

22-Apr-19

Must've forgot the onions on that one. The venison chili in the red pot is a simmering staple at the shabin :)

Sausage and beans is another easy one we have a lot.

22-Apr-19
Gotta have Chili Dogs in Deer/Elk camp, lots of cheese and onions!

22-Apr-19
Well if you got the barby in camp then anything is fair game, wings, chicken drums, marinated steaks, loins, pork loins, chops, baked potatoes, fries, pizza, perogies, spring rolls, pizza pops, smokies, etc.

22-Apr-19
Pair that walleye with some thin sliced taters and you've got a combo that can't be topped.

22-Apr-19

Huntnfish's embedded Photo
Surf and Turf
Huntnfish's embedded Photo
Surf and Turf
Since we are in a cabin we tend to spoil ourselves but seafood of some sort is a must have every year...this is from last year....

22-Apr-19

LaGriz's embedded Photo
Camp Kitchen
LaGriz's embedded Photo
Camp Kitchen
Poultry option, I often bring a package of 2 Cornish Game Hens. If I get a chance to return to base camp for lunch, I will season/spilt hens, browning them for later. Once back at camp, they go in an oven browning bag with new potatoes, vegies, and chicken bullion or cream-o-mushroom soup. I utilize a camp stove/oven combo that makes this possible. Camp chores get addressed while this is cooking. Makes a hardy meal with some tasty leftovers. Often cook this the night before the opener, as we rarely have time once the hunt begins in earnest. During a late season hunt this might be a better choice as the sun sets much earlier in the evening allowing more time. September bow hunts require quick and simple meals. LaGriz

22-Apr-19
I like to make a big breakfast. Even if not breakfast time. Chop up potato's and and a onion fry them up with some salt and pepper in a cast iron pan. Pancakes, bacon or sausage, and eggs. We do it a lot of times if coming back to camp late morning. Sometimes if out all day it makes a good dinner.

22-Apr-19
Grouse, and elk tenderloins, over open coals.

22-Apr-19
I've had time to cook moose hunting, but never elk hunting. But a BBQ does make for some quick 10 minute meals. Past that it's too late and I'm too bagged once I get back.

22-Apr-19
Cube just about any meat you like (I don't care at all for water fowl - but it's very good BBQ'd like this) into bite size bits. Season to your liking. Wrap with bacon. Pin it with tooth picks. Put on a hot grill -- stand by with a water filled mist bottle as it is going to flame up or if you have an air tight grill close the lid when it begins to flame. I don't like wasting beer but I have been known to put my finger lightly over the top and sprinkle a bit to squelch the flame. Ice cold drink goes good while watching it cook. Kind of tedious making them so I usually pre-prepare for the camp. And they are excellent cold the next day (if you have any left that is).

22-Apr-19
My favorite elk camp meal of all time was fresh elk backstraps with a side of fresh caught (same day) walleye. I’m sure it’s been done many times, but until the day it happened it wasn’t really on my radar as a realistic possibility.

22-Apr-19
When we cook fresh, homemade brats or sausage, onions, some potato's, peppers, and a cold beer or two is hard to beat.

Last night of camp we always cook deer heart, some tenderloins, flank steak, and usually a piece of back strap. We fix it different ways and have a huge gut buster with some greens, Taters, and of course, cold beers. The times my friends or I have killed elk, we always do the same. It is hard to beat fellas.

23-Apr-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
I just like the multiple aroma's of Pines & Quakies with the smoke coming off a hot BBQ
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I just like the multiple aroma's of Pines & Quakies with the smoke coming off a hot BBQ
L@@king Delicious fella's!

23-Apr-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I have had this tradition for many Years in my Wyo Bow Elk Camp for guys coming into hunt.

With them traveling for so many miles and hours to arrive, get their camp set-up ect…..

I always cook up an Arrival Day big Meal.

23-Apr-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
Quad ~~ Garage well ventilated BBQ cook tent
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Quad ~~ Garage well ventilated BBQ cook tent
This was on a Close Out Sale and is suppose to be a Quad Garage for parking ones ATV inside.

I started using it for a BBQ cook tent as it is super ventilated and a pretty quick set-up/take down option.

It has shown it's Value on those rainy days and for sure on those heavy wet Snow days in September.

Good luck, Robb

23-Apr-19
Dang, I like that atv garage! Wish they still made it.

24-Apr-19
It is nice Nick.

It's going up for sale in my Hunting/Camping Gear Yard Sale in May

Good luck, Robb

24-Apr-19
Man you guys are making me hungry!

ElkNut/Paul

24-Apr-19
tough to beat a BBQ but dutch ovens are also quite handy. You can find hundreds of good recipes on-line.

24-Apr-19
You guys are living right! I feel like it's a great day when I can eat two mountainhouse's! Ha!

25-Apr-19
My Uncle Alma use to do a Dutch Oven meal in our Utah Deer camp and man, I can still taste those Roasts!

Certainly enjoy a Dutch Oven meal.

Good luck, Robb

26-Apr-19

moon's embedded Photo
https://www.bowhunting.net/2016/campers-almond-joy-chocolate-pie/
moon's embedded Photo
https://www.bowhunting.net/2016/campers-almond-joy-chocolate-pie/

26-Apr-19
moon, nice looking buddy you have there looking on.

Fresh caught brookie fried in butter over open fire. Yum. any accompaniments will do also.

26-Apr-19
Hopefully I'll be eating a few brookies cooked up like that next weekend in northern MI, TK. Looking forward to it!

26-Apr-19
If you use the website at the bottom of my photo you can get the recipe

30-Apr-19
ttt

02-May-19
Big fan of dutch ovens. Get a fire going mid day to make coals put my roast and veggies in dig a shallow hole fill with coals put dutch oven on put coals on top. Go hunting for the afternoon 3-4 hours come back and dinner is done! super simple really good food and only 1 pot to clean up. roast chicken and roast lamb and roast pork shoulder are my 3 favourites. sorry no photos just want to eat!

02-May-19
Vacuum seal and freeze chills, lasagna, spaghetti, beef stew, before trip. Throw it in the pot and boil. Easy delicious meals with no mess to clean up

02-May-19
Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Soup

Ingredients

1-2 lb. Hot Italian sausage

½ cup minced onion

3 cloves garlic, minced

salt and pepper to taste

2 quart chicken broth

8 large russet potatoes, cut to desired size

1 bunch parsley, leaves stripped and chopped

1 quart heavy whipping cream

1 package cooked bacon, chopped

Cook the potatoes just below a boil in the chicken broth until soft but firm. Brown sausage and cook bacon. Add the heavy whipping cream to the broth and throw everything else in and cook for 10 minutes. Take out and vacuum seal or put in Ziplock and freeze. Reheat in camp. Best elk camp meal and it will boost your calorie intake for the next day’s hunt. Feel free to add more or less of any ingredients. Cook it for your wife and she will be impressed. Maybe you will get lucky. You're welcome.

02-May-19
Sounds good, KSf, and a chit load of calories!

02-May-19

LINK's embedded Photo
My favorite mountain meal. ;)
LINK's embedded Photo
My favorite mountain meal. ;)
I’m with APauls. I leave camp in the dark and get back in the dark. I’m usually far enough away mid day I don’t want to walk back to camp. I eat mountain house just for the ease of everything, not having to pack grills and cold food. If ever I take a camp maid I’ll use some of these ideas. It would be awesome to show up to a warm meal at camp.

02-May-19
"a chit load of calories!" Well said. But in the mountains calories are a good thing. Not some much here hitting this keyboard now...lol.

02-May-19
Oh, I'm not complaining about the calories....I'm all in! :-)

05-May-19
Dang good recipe right there!

Those calories get burned off real fast on the elk mountain.

Good luck, Robb

05-May-19
Mountain house chili mac twice a day, if I'm not too tired to open the pouch...

05-May-19
Cup of noodle and some jerky

06-May-19
Snuffer- You must hunt solo and have Charmin stocks. It tastes fine but I cannot stand myself after eating Chili Mac.

06-May-19
Z, you get used to that diet after day 8 or so...

06-May-19
Snuffer- So you are telling I don't give my body enough time to acclimate to Chili Mac,,,,,, I prefer to use other methods to verify wind direction, not Brian vs MH Chili Mac.

06-May-19
Yes give it a week and you will be buying it by the case.

06-May-19
Anything Mulepower cooks after he fired the head cook. Classic story, but he went way beyond his role to make a great camp. For those of you doing chili, BBQ, etc you must have better probiotics than me. I like to keep it safe so I am safe from an odor standpoint in the woods! My all time favorite hunting meal was antelope but that may just have been the cook!

06-May-19

jfish's embedded Photo
jfish's embedded Photo
jfish's embedded Photo
Mid week steak dinner from an open fire!
jfish's embedded Photo
Mid week steak dinner from an open fire!
jfish's embedded Photo
Slow morning at camp.
jfish's embedded Photo
Slow morning at camp.
Now that’s funny! You guys ask for trophy pics I can’t seem to find one to share. You ask for pics of meals? Lol lol! Heck during slow seasons the meals become as important as the killin lol lol!

06-May-19

jfish's embedded Photo
jfish's embedded Photo
Slow morning at camp.

Edit photo tool seems to only allow edits to first pic in post with more than one photo? Any suggestions?

07-May-19
No worries jfish, they look delicious from any angle!

Good luck, Robb

07-May-19

sdkhunter's embedded Photo
My favorite is doing frozen pizzas on the charcoal grill, it’s just so easy, no cleanup, etc. I also like to bring along frozen steaks, pork chops, etc - helps keep everything cold then I eat them a couple of days in once they are defrosted...

07-May-19
Some of these setups are top notch. It’s usually a cold bagel with some peanut butter while walking up the trail in the dark. Then mountain house or some heated up leftovers from home at 10pm when I’m tired and hungry.

08-May-19
I’m a simple guy.....and usually tired! I fry up some spam slices, add cheese, bread or tortilla and I’m good to go!

08-May-19

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Takes just as long to grill up a ribeye as it does to fry up some Spam. Might as well eat some GOOD protein. ;-) Boil-in-bag potatoes and broccoli for the sides.

Get back to camp. Pot of water is always on the stove.

Fire it up and start the portable grill.

Change out of hunting clothes and hang up, refill water and food in pack, clothes laid out for next days hunt, get electronic devices charging.

Drop boil-in-bag food in boiling water, throw steak on the grill, and open a beer.

Food is ready in a beer or two while checking maps or OnX.

Eat like a king, no mess to clean up, and off to bed. Burp!

08-May-19
very similar to you meat and potatoes guys. A fine elk strap chicken fried using panko is a fine meal. Everyone wants seconds. Stuffed full the sleeping bag is next on their mind.

08-May-19
My world famous Stroganoff. Freeze in camp portion size freezer bags. Easy prep, and more import easy cleanup after the hard day hits you with a full tummy. Excellent with a Pinot or Reisling. ??

08-May-19
I’m never so tired that I decide to eat effing spam!!!

09-May-19
that Pizza idea sounds great.

Did ya put on a pizza pan and then on the grill or no pizza pan, just on the grill?

Thanks~~ Robb

09-May-19
You guys are hard on SPAM! the average ribeye has more fats and about as much protein per oz. I’m not saying it’s better for you....but it sure is quick and easy. I buy the low fat version which is even better. Little space, no ice needed....slices easily, no grill. It’s good! ??

09-May-19
Egg and bacon

Egg, sausage and bacon

Egg and Spam

Egg, bacon and Spam

Egg, bacon, sausage and Spam

Spam, bacon, sausage and Spam

Spam, egg, Spam, Spam, bacon and Spam

Spam, Spam, Spam, egg and Spam

Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, baked beans, Spam, Spam, Spam and Spam

Lobster Thermidor aux crevettes with a Mornay sauce, garnished with truffle pâté, brandy and a fried egg on top, and Spam

10-May-19

Wooddamon1 's embedded Photo
Wooddamon1 's embedded Photo
Cooked these up in butter last weekend at a buddy's trout camp.

13-May-19
De-caf Nick, de-caf…….brothaaaa! haha

Enjoying it all, Robb

13-May-19
Got to be a few Monty Python aficionados here, Robb. lol

14-May-19
There's probably an inverse relation to the bigger the bull you kill and the fancier the meal you eat in camp. The guys leaving camp before daylight and getting back after dark are probably killing more elk. Besides, pig out when you're bloody and sweaty with a big carcass in the bed of your truck...…..celebrate after you come off the mountain:)

• Sitka Gear