patience2spare 22-May-19
Strapped 22-May-19
Scrappy 22-May-19
Swampbuck 23-May-19
PAOH 27-May-19
PAOH 27-May-19
PAOH 27-May-19
19-May-19
I just got a new ladderstand. It a big game hunter HD 1.5. Before putting it together, I was thinking of what I could do to improve it. What do you guys do to improve? Anything to make it quieter or upgrading any hardware? Any tips or advise is appreciated

19-May-19
We have upwards of 20 ladder stands on 300 acres. Starting about 10 years ago we routinely install a thin plastic washer on bolts in between all metal to metal contact points. It takes a few minutes longer, not many, on assembly but since doing this we have never had a stand develop a squeak. We do leave our stands out all year. Each year when we trim out recently grown branches we also carefully check the straps that support the stand. If they seem at all weak or worn we generally just add another leaving the original in place. Whether they need it or not we put new straps on every three years. Some of our stands have 4-5 straps by now but in most cases the three year interval seems adequate.

19-May-19
Ty-wrap some pockets or pouches to the outside of the hand rails to hold things like calls, water bottles, etc while you're in the stand.

19-May-19
I change any cables to chain.

19-May-19
Add rigid conduit to the bottom rails for extra height. Uni strut for extra steps between conduits

19-May-19
Brush on bed liner to steps to avoid slipping.

19-May-19
I add foam water pipe insulation to the top rails for quiet. And use cable ties to attach mill felt to the rails around the sides for wind protection and partial concealment. I spray paint it camo.

19-May-19
I'm not a whitetail guy per se, but I do have a ladder stand for mule deer for my daughters. I sprayed Flex Seal on the ladder and platform where you step and then took silt from the edge of a stream, dried it, and sprinkled it on it on the Flex Seal right after spraying and the result is a nice quiet base that grips whether dry or wet.

20-May-19
Replace all pins for attaching ladder sections with stainless bolts. Makes going up the ladder much quieter. Pins allow the segments to move as you climb causing noise.

20-May-19
I think we have a new TBM on the forum^^^^^^^.

20-May-19
Best upgrade to a ladder stand... Cut it up and sell it for scrap. Take the money and get a saddle ;-)

20-May-19
I buy a roll of that gritty tape and put it on each step. Get a saddle?? Then I'd have to get a horse!

20-May-19
“Remember, scent control is #1” (especially for your #2)! Terrible advice using a plastic trash bag for your #2 and burying it in the woods!

Scrappy.......maybe it’s just BM ;-)

20-May-19
Ladder stands are probably the most maintenance free....safe and easy stand in existence. Having 20 stands on 300 acres means he has just about every location covered.

I never hunted in one until a recent semi- guided hunt in Missouri....I must say it was crazy comfy and so damn easy. I was able to sit 2 hours longer than I can on a portable.

Not sure you can make much improvement.

20-May-19
Paoh: photos if you have. Please.

20-May-19
Why would you bury plastic? Stop being a slob and take it with you.

20-May-19
Started spraying rustolum on the ladder stands. Seems to help

20-May-19
Sorry, but I think that is kinda the definition of a slob. Not wanting to carry your trash out with you....

—Jim

20-May-19

IdyllwildArcher's Link
Use these. Then no one will give you shit about your shit.

20-May-19

IdyllwildArcher's Link
Biodegradable plastic bags

20-May-19

20-May-19

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Or maybe this, Ike.

20-May-19
I agree with subbleduck, except use brass washers, cost more but last a lifetime. Plastic washers will not.

21-May-19
Hey Pat, you're on a site full of guys who are nuts about the outdoors and you're giving advice to bury plastic in the bush. You're going to get people upset. Littering whether it's dug underground or not is disgusting. Especially when it doesn't matter. Take a leak or drop a deuce if you need, but don't leave a bag behind.

If you're that worried about the scent, dig your "deep hole" squat over top and cover it up. Just as scent free, same amount of work, one less bag in the woods.

21-May-19
^^^what he said^^^

21-May-19
I`m still trying to get over the vision of a guy squatting on a bucket pinching a loaf....IN A TREESTAND!!!

Where is a trail cam when you need one....lmao

21-May-19
One on every corner...............

21-May-19
If you don't feed it it might go away.

21-May-19

elkmtngear's embedded Photo
elkmtngear's embedded Photo
An "upgrade" idea, for Pat's stand ;^)

21-May-19
"...and when I go fishing I simply put a rock in the bag and huck it in the lake, no worries fellas it goes all the way to the bottom."

22-May-19
Ummm... deer smell urine and feces in the woods everyday! You may be WAAAAYYYY overthinking this one, Pat. Just don't squat in the middle of the trail that you're hunting.

Admitting to burying plastic bags full of pooh in the woods for over 25 years - SMH! Pete

22-May-19
Thanks to those who gave advise to the topic. It's amazing how a topic can turn in a complete different direction

22-May-19
Especially when people keep feeding it.

23-May-19
I’ll play into the high jack part. Even when the neighbors dog craps in the front yard they pick it up with a plastic bag and TAKE IT WITH THEM!!! You’re better off dropping a deuce of the side of your stand and letting nature do it’s magic.

27-May-19

PAOH 's embedded Photo
PAOH 's embedded Photo
He are a few pics that you requested

27-May-19

PAOH 's embedded Photo
PAOH 's embedded Photo

27-May-19

PAOH 's embedded Photo
PAOH 's embedded Photo

• Sitka Gear