Bou'bound 22-Aug-19
elkmtngear 22-Aug-19
otcWill 22-Aug-19
JSW 22-Aug-19
weekender21 22-Aug-19
Jack Whitmrie jr 22-Aug-19
rooster 23-Aug-19
21-Aug-19
Anyone use a headlamp to access your stand of a morning? I'm looking to buy one , preferably rechargeable. Suggestions please

21-Aug-19
Yes, I do. I have a Coast one that's about 8 years old and a Browning that's close to 15. both are LED, and a set of batteries lasts all deer season and well into the summer the following year, with just standard batteries.

21-Aug-19
Thanks for the replies , please keep them coming

21-Aug-19
I was looking for one a few weeks ago and after a lot of recommendations I bought a Black Diamond Storm 350 . So far I really like it ... it takes 4 AA batteries

21-Aug-19
Check further down the pages, there was a fairly large thread on this very question.

21-Aug-19
Hard to beat black diamond......

22-Aug-19
Black Diamond with lithium batteries.

Lesson learned the hard way - carry a small flashlight with you in case your batteries crash and you need to change them in the dark. Not an issue when hunting a stand in Uncle Fred's apple orchard, but if you ever go backcountry hunting you'll thank me for this advice.

22-Aug-19
When you’re halfway to your stand and your light dies there’s no recharging it. I’m a fan of Black Diamond but I prefer batteries. I’m due for a new one after about 10 years and I think I’ll go with the 3 battery 325 over the 4 battery 350 because of weight.

22-Aug-19
I’ve used many types of headlights and my all time favorite or ARMYTEK ,I own both the Wizard Pro (recharageable 18650) and the smaller Tiara Pro (rechargeable 18350)

Both have three moonlight modes and great step up and user interface.Battery indicator in button switch and both come with a secure headband and a cap clip which I use 99% of the time,

Both have great waterproofness and magnetic tail caps that give the light far more utility than just for hunting

The Wizard Pro is a beast and will send up to 2500 lumens down range with a really good wide spot without holes,The run times are insane.The only downside is it’s a little bulky as a cap clip on so usually just duck hunt with it and use the Tiara Pro (almost same modes,1/3 shorter and 2/3 less run times)for whitetail huhting

22-Aug-19
I've used an inexpensive one for several years. I change the batteries before the season starts and they last from September to the end. I always carry my mini mag lite as back up plus I like it's softer yellow light better for blood trailing.

22-Aug-19
If I was buying a headlamp today my first requirement is that it would use 18650 batteries. Unfortunately I have about a dozen headlamps, so I really shouldn't be buying again.

22-Aug-19
If weight is a concern, check out the Petzl E-Lite. It's surprisingly bright for such a small compact unit. Otherwise, you can't go wrong with Black Diamond.

Matt

22-Aug-19
Coast

22-Aug-19
I like those reflective trail-marking tacks but keep them low - almost at ground level.

The lowest setting you can manage with is best. Some lights require you to cycle through settings when you turn them on, some have 'memory' and return to whatever they were set at when turned off.

All that said I prefer flashlights for walking in, headlamps for early or late fishing.

22-Aug-19
I prefer a headlamp with a red LED...I use the red light to walk in before daylight. Nice to have both options, in case of a late evening hit.

22-Aug-19
I would add that I hate using light, white or red, if I can get by without it. I only switch on when I need it for safety when it is pitch black or the terrain demands better vision. I love walking in the dark without a light when possible.

Personally I find using the light tends to make things more disorienting in the dark. You are limited to the cone of light whereas if there is enough ambient light to get around without a headlamp I get a better feel for where I am and where I am heading than with the light.

22-Aug-19
I've used headlamps for years and currently have maybe 8 of them (if I could remember where they are). All are LED and use replacement batteries. Biggest issue with all of them is - they turn on by themselves whether in my pocket or pack. It's the fault of the pushbutton switches - way too easy to actuate. I'd love to find one with a firm slide switch.

22-Aug-19
Pete, I hate that shart when it happens...then the battery is dead or near dead when you actually need it.........grrrrrrrrr Or when I try to turn on the red light but the bright arse white light keeps coming on instead. #1stworldproblems

22-Aug-19
I like the rechargeable black diamond that also takes regular batteries. If light dies, I have a spare set of batteries. Otherwise the headlamp gets charged in truck or camper when at camp or by solar pack or power bank when bivy hunting.

22-Aug-19
Flashlight with green lens cap. I can see better than with red, and supposedly it doesn't alarm deer. (Can't swear to that, deer did not respond to phone survey...)

22-Aug-19
Jaq hit a good point. I have my primary, my back up and a hand held. Why? Backups for sure, but also, I find the handheld can become a nice "mini lantern" when field dressing.

I use the light partly to see where I'm going, and partly to make sure other guys know I'm not a deer. I hunt mostly public... I'd rather not get a deer and not get shot, then get shot... So I take my chances with the light.

22-Aug-19
the petzl tikka with the red lamp is a good one.......I bought my son one when he was headed to Marine Corps Officer Candidate School because it was on the suggested gear list. I liked it so much I bought one for myself. I also carry a Fenix PD35 tactical light for tracking.

22-Aug-19
Any cheap led head lamp will do just fine and run forever on a set of batteries as long as not bumped on. Cell phone light works fine for a backup. I have blood trailed and field dressed with just cell phone light but nice to have someone hold it for you for field dressing.

22-Aug-19
You guys with the headlamps turning on by themselves.... I used to have that problem with Petzls and others. Black Diamond has a lock setting so that can’t happen. Hold the button in until the little blue light comes on and it’s locked.

One thing I’ll say about this thread is there’s an obvious difference in preferences between guys who are sneaking into deer stands and ones who are making the trek up a mountain to elk hunt.

22-Aug-19
petzl tikka

22-Aug-19
For field dressing at night, I pull out the Zebra light. Kinda like being in a spotlight, on stage.

Works great for lighting trophy pics, too!

22-Aug-19
I've used almost everything on this thread. Favorites are Fenix and Zebralight. Light up the whole world. Game changer when on a blood trail at night or low light situation. Settings to make them last forever at lower lumens

22-Aug-19
I have a LED Lenser rechargeable that I absolutely love. It takes the same charger as a samsung phone. If it goes bad, you pop the battery pack out and put in 3 AAA's. You can focus the beam on the light and it's almost like a spotlight. On full power it lasts less than 2 hours but on low power it lasts a long time. I got it on sale at Sportsman's Warehouse a few years back for $30. It's generally around $80. See if you can find one on sale somewhere. I highly recommend it. It's small and light but really powerful.

22-Aug-19
I used quite a few but the smaller Petzls are my favorites. You can get a good small Petzl headlamp for $20. I usually have 2 or 3 around the house.

22-Aug-19
Wow great responses , thanks for the feedback!

23-Aug-19
Petzl for me. I have one that is 14 years old and still working although the head band has given up the ghost. I just bought a pair of new ones as well.

• Sitka Gear