GF 22-Sep-19
ELKMAN 23-Sep-19
Grubby 23-Sep-19
Will 23-Sep-19
Bou'bound 24-Sep-19
19-Sep-19

badguybuster's embedded Photo
badguybuster's embedded Photo
This thread is getting pretty heated on FB. I dont know the shooter or anyone involved but the info raises some questions. 92 yards is a LONG bow shot and the shooter claims the shot local was intentional. Thoughts?

19-Sep-19
I would not brag about that angle or distance. You can admit to the distance if you can back it up with the practice to do it well. Looks like he got lucky and spined her. Just making bad press.

19-Sep-19
That's a pretty long shot and placement isn't the best. But he got lucky. If I had to guess the guy didn't want tag soup. I'm not judging, just saying.

19-Sep-19
Quality shot.....it was probably quartering away upon release.

19-Sep-19
In my opinion, mentioning the distance will only embolden individuals to shoot outside their comfort zones. The Bowhunters of Utah FB page routinely has people openly bragging about 100+ yard kills on elk and deer. This weeks episode is a 103 yard shot on a Book Cliffs bull.

19-Sep-19
Unfortunately, long shots and low percentage shots seem to more acceptable these days. Appears to be much less respect for the animals than 30 years ago. Hunters should do better.

19-Sep-19
Franklin+1 Lol!

19-Sep-19
The guy also has a thirty eight inch draw length.

Arms got stretched with all that patting himself on the back.

Guaranteed he says "Booya!!" and talks trash about any animal he kills too.

19-Sep-19
It was probably standing broadside upon release

19-Sep-19
Putting on my detective hat....wouldn't the arrow have more of a downward angle into the target at 92 yards? I'm wondering if the 92 yards is accurate or BS?

19-Sep-19
Stick n string above, nailed it.

19-Sep-19
I would only take a frontal shot at that range. All or nothing.

19-Sep-19
Wasn't everyone on this site congratulating a member for an 80 yard shot on a bull earlier?

19-Sep-19
Poor shot selection aside, anyone who says “smoke city” shouldn’t be allowed to hunt. What a dumbass....

Matt

19-Sep-19
Grey Ghost X2 on the "smoke city". Might as well just get "Douche Bag" tattooed across your forehead.

19-Sep-19
LOL at Supernaut. :-)

Matt

19-Sep-19
By the way, you are a JERK

20-Sep-19
Yeah I hate that smoke city crap too.

20-Sep-19
That is a stupid shot. NO respect for what he is hunting.

20-Sep-19
Maybe the fella is dyslexic and meant 29 yards?

20-Sep-19
This guy definitely drinks White Claw.

20-Sep-19
If you did take this long stupid shot, why would you tell everyone? Yet another mistake!

20-Sep-19
That guy is a bad a%$. I tip my flat brim hat to him.

20-Sep-19
Sometimes the elk wins. This should have been one of those times.

20-Sep-19
“I don't know that an arrows attitude follows the arc, just has the elevation associated with the drop at distance, yes?”

It does not follow the arc exactly; Attitude is a function of what sailors call Apparent Wind - it’s what you get when you balance forward velocity with downward. Bigger fletchings may tend to result in more downward attitude because of greater resistance.

Interesting to think that through, though.... The faster an arrow is dropping (and assuming that the forward velocity is much higher).... if the attitude is nearly parallel, then that should compromise penetration at long range, no? Since the point would be rising above the arc traced by the CG of the arrow?

20-Sep-19
Haven't kept up with compounds since getting a longbow but will they shoot a 550 grain arrow at 290 fps?

20-Sep-19
Yes, some compounds will shoot a 550 grain arrow at 290 FPS. I get 282 out of a 560 grain arrow with 73# Hoyt RX1 Ultra at 30.5” draw. So either a turbo RX1at 70# or a standard RX1 at 80# at 31” draw will exceed 290.

21-Sep-19
Lucky shot. Wonder how many he wounded before this one. Just another tool doing it for the wrong reasons.

21-Sep-19
“Just another tool doing it for the wrong reasons.”

Not that I disagree entirely, but ask 1,000 people what qualifies as a “right” reason, and if you only get 2000 answers I’d suggest next time you not conduct your polling at a convention of Mimes....

Glad to see recognition here that 92 yards is “too far”, but IS IT?? What about 80? I read just above that somebody here got CONGRATULATED for an 80-yard shot. So is that only too long a shot if it’s a bull? What if it had been a 300” bull? Or maybe 250?

450???

If the points and inches matter, then I guess the yards really don’t??

Because for all we know, this is a guy who had 1 week to hunt, 2 kids, a crappy paycheck, a pregnant wife and an empty freezer.

But I doubt it.

21-Sep-19
“A man has got to know his limitations”. Guess this archer knew his/her limitations!

Nice shot- carry on .......

21-Sep-19
Bob H in NH is right. I refrained from commenting on the story last week because of the 80+ yard. I was very surprised and annoyed how many congratulated the hunter on his shot. 81 yards is a little better than 92, but not much and unacceptable on an elk in my opinion. The previous story was not as obnoxious as the hunter didn't brag about the length of the shot, but it's still too far. Too much time elapses and many things can go wrong. If you can't get inside of 50 yards you need to work on your bowhunting skills.

21-Sep-19
Not sure if y’all are referencing my recap where I said I let six arrows fly at 80 yards. I will be the first to admit that I would never take an initial shot at 80 yards on an animal. All of those shots were follow up shots to an initial arrow that would have been fatal on its own. Are you suggesting it is unethical to take follow shots at distances beyond “normal” shooting distances?

I’m of the camp that if I have an arrow in an animal I’m going to do whatever I can to get more in them if the opportunity presents itself, even if it’s at distances that stretch my limits. I would expect most on here would do the same.

21-Sep-19
I was not referring to you taking follow up shots. I'm 100% ok with that if you have a wounded animal. I would also do whatever it takes to finish the job.I'm referring to another story where the initial shot was 81 yards. To me that's unacceptable on an elk even though it was successful in that instance.

21-Sep-19
REALITY CHECK: There is no such thing as Too Far on a wounded animal.

That’s like saying it’s Unsportsmanlike to finish off a wounded rooster because it’s not proper Wingshooting.

Don’t expect anybody doesn’t have it straight on that point, but I’m case any non-hunters are following the thread.... When you’ve got a situation to deal with, you’ve gotta deal with the situation.

21-Sep-19
That is a very makeable shot for Wells or Morgan or lakosky.

21-Sep-19
Roger that Brun and GF. Just checking and clarifying in case it was. Glad we’re on the same page!

21-Sep-19
I beg to differ Bou. It’s only “very makeable” on a target. Animals can, and do move. That said, I’m not telling anyone how far to shoot, that’s a personal thing, but I don’t think it’s something to brag on, and especially not to publicize.

21-Sep-19

GF's embedded Photo
GF's embedded Photo
1 shot from about 60 yards with my RER longbow. No sweat. Entirely “makeable”, even if my range estimate is 80% WAG. A lot of times, I can group no wider than my brace height at that kind of range.

Think I should try it on a Live one?

21-Sep-19
My standards are higher than "makeable"

21-Sep-19
Indeed.

21-Sep-19

deerslayer's embedded Photo
deerslayer's embedded Photo

21-Sep-19
Sorry guys, I'm an old fart and I don't know what all these acronyms mean. What does 80% WAG mean?

21-Sep-19
Butt hurt much?

21-Sep-19
You want to shoot game at 92 yards? Great....use a rifle.

21-Sep-19
Thanks GF, I figured the G meant guess, but the rest I had no idea.

22-Sep-19
No worries, Brun! I’d say having teenagers helps, but I think I’m still trying to catch up to the world as it stood when they were born...

Woods - honestly, I’m not sure I’d attempt 92 yards with my muzzleloader. When I first built it up, I sighted it in and put 6 or 7 shots into 1 tall, skinny ragged hole at 50... but my eyes were 30 years younger then ;)

And (even then) I never figured a roundball muzzleloader for more than about a 75-80 yard Elk Rifle anyway, because after all.... what fun is THAT????

22-Sep-19
There is going to be IDIOT's out there that give Real bowhunters a Bad rap!! This kind of nonsense really does need to stop or quit talking about it publicly. I don't think you will ever get them to stop doing this anyway!!

22-Sep-19
It's "OK" to take long distance shots at animals and make pin cushions out of them before they expire as long as you are one that has the reputation of "one of those that can get it done".

Disclaimer: the intent is to read this post tongue in cheek. I know a guy "who gets it done" and regularly has multiple arrow holes in animals. What a joke. His excuse is "the coyotes have to eat too"...

22-Sep-19
The fact that you need to "stir the pot" and cause dissension and disagreement among your compatriots is more telling of you than the 92 yard shot is of the hunter.

22-Sep-19
And lemmeguess... this guy is often heard whining about fawn/calf depredation....

It’s all about the Orientation, Nate - some are Process Oriented; some are Outcome Oriented.

Really, there’s no right or wrong to it as long as the kills are clean and tags are unlimited.

23-Sep-19
Missouri breaks has it right

23-Sep-19
From: Brotsky20-Sep-1 This guy definitely drinks White Claw

LOL Ain’t no laws when you’re drinking claws!

23-Sep-19
Quartering to and really long shots dont compute for me. (92, with a bow, is really long. Good to try or not, it's REALLY long) (and for the record, I would argue, even for a tourney archer who can hit the X 9 of 10 times at 100yds, 92 is to long at an animal).

I'm really glad the cow died, but man... seems a ridiculous attempt if true.

24-Sep-19
back to the top since nobody stirred for awhile.

• Sitka Gear