Beginner 31-Dec-19
Tennhunter 31-Dec-19
Annony Mouse 31-Dec-19
BULELK1 01-Jan-20
BULELK1 01-Jan-20
tobywon 01-Jan-20
13-Dec-19
'morning,

I just got back from my last elk tag of the year to fill.

I've drawn this NER (National Elk Refuge) Permission Slip 13 of the last 14 years for an elk~~cow and just love the break from normal life to be up in Jackson, Wyoming.

I've had a blast in the past getting my Buff and helping a few others harvest theirs some years too on the NER.

#LovinLife,

Robb

13-Dec-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
Bear Lake along the Utah/Idaho state lines.
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Bear Lake along the Utah/Idaho state lines.
I had a big snowstorm to contend with driving up to Jackson so I like the less travelled route up Logan Canyon (Utah) then along Bear Lake to Montpelier, Idaho, over Montpelier Pass into Border, Idaho/Wyoming and then up thru Alpine Junction, Snake River Canyon, Hoback Junction into Jackson.

Thanks for taking the time to view All.

13-Dec-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
Comfy Jackson Cabin
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Comfy Jackson Cabin
I really like this stand alone Cabin.

Maybe a pinch to big for a solo hunter, with 2 bedrooms, 2 full baths, full size kitchen ect.

Plus plenty of private parking!

It's booked a year in advance most years but I happen to get it back in August when I past thru Jackson on my way to Dubois.

My 4th stay in this Cabin so I kinda new what was what......over the years.

13-Dec-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I really enjoy the true wood fireplace and the big bay window to keep an eye on my chit man! haha

13-Dec-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo

13-Dec-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo

13-Dec-19
Wow, one more elk hunt thread before the end of the year! Thanks for the early Christmas present, Robb. I like that area too. Hope you took a lot of pics...??

13-Dec-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Thanks Jeff!

13-Dec-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
My Permission slip hunt dates started the very next morning so with unloading and prepping for the morning hunt, it was a long day with driving in 4x4 wheel drive for over 1/2 the miles travelled.

More to follow, I've got that first day home chores and stuff to get done ~~ dang it! The life of a bachelor...….

Thanks again for taking the time to View-------> All

Good luck, Robb

13-Dec-19
Use go every July 4th weekend until they lengthened the runway to allow jets to land in Jackson. Use to stay in town in one of the hotels for $10/night. Could ride to town and keep your horse in coral.

I'm thinkin that little place you stay was $150/night?

KH~

13-Dec-19
Love the Jackson area. Wife spent a lot of time and a little bit of money there this fall while we were out there.

13-Dec-19
Living large! Love it! Blessings to you this Holiday Season, Robb.

13-Dec-19
Looking forward to the rest of the story Robb! Glad to hear you made it home safely.

13-Dec-19
Jackson is the definition of a nice place to visit, but........

You can’t beat the scenery, especially S of town. The best hamburger of my life was had in Jackson. Maybe I was just hungry but damn it was good !

Get your chores done Robb, and feed us some elk story !

13-Dec-19
This should be good! Keep it coming, Rob!

13-Dec-19
Nice place! Stopped by Jackson for a day back in August. I was lucky enough to fill my antelope tag early enough to allow some sight seeing.

13-Dec-19
Robb, your story/pictures brings back some memories of the place. 1. the picture of the rugged mt range. That day Tricia and I were in the parking lot taking pictures of that very mountain when a truck pulls up and two guy get out and start pointing to the top of the peaks. I asked them what they were looking at and one said, "oh, we just climbed that peak and spent a few hours up there". 2. the wonderful wildlife gallery just out of town. Thanks for sharing. Paul

13-Dec-19
Wondering if the bison cows have started over to the refuge yet?

13-Dec-19
22 years ago my wife and I spent our honeymoon in Jackson. These pictures bring back a flood of memories from the 10 days we were there. We had so much fun with all the outdoor activities and trying each restaurant out. We saw so much wildlife, it was just amazing!! Each year we talk about going back, but so far we just haven’t pulled the trigger. Great pictures. Thanks for sharing!

13-Dec-19
I've got a friend that lives in Alpine, just south of Jackson Hole. I need to get back up there and see him. Great area of the country.

13-Dec-19
Bucket list for sure.

13-Dec-19
Paul reminded me of our first visit to Yellowstone and coming back through Jackson. On the S side of town, the Tetons on the W overlooking us, a cow moose with a calf was beside the road in the willows. Of course there were the usual 8/10 cars and 15/20 folks looking on the side of the road. I told my crew, my wife, sis in law, and (then) little boy not to get real close and when I said GO !, to get to the truck. The cow put up with that a little while, then I saw her ears fold, and I said GO ! We went to the truck and she scattered those folks like a covey of quail. It was funny and a damn wonder nobody got hurt. They were closer than us, too close for mama, and it was bound to happen.

13-Dec-19
That's my country over there. I used to live just to the Southwest in Swan Valley Idaho. I used to elk hunt just south of there and across the state line in the Diamond Creek Unit for Idaho.

13-Dec-19
For several years we made a bit of a detour after our annual Wy elk hunt (back then we were drawn every year) to stop and play with the elk. We went in past Teton Village and had a blast calling elk right into us.

Looking forward to this Robb, I always enjoy your "trips"!

13-Dec-19
Good luck Robb!

Great area!

13-Dec-19
Great kickoff to another great elk hunt! Keep it rolling Robb!

13-Dec-19
Its fun when PBR is in town. Drank plenty suds in the MDCB in the 80s.

KH

13-Dec-19
Was i Jackson Hole in June and traveled North. The Tetons with the lakes in the foreground were awesome! Elk were long gone.

13-Dec-19

WHOCARES's embedded Photo

13-Dec-19
Keep the pics. coming. Makes us all wish we were there. Which you many yrs. of the Good Life! Good Bless!

13-Dec-19

13-Dec-19

Annony Mouse's embedded Photo
Annony Mouse's embedded Photo
Few elk have been taken according to papers. Haven't moved into the refuge yet. Snow is just starting to build in the mountains, so movement to lower elevations should begin.

Visitors to my backyard this afternoon. (Star Valley Ranch)

Good luck on your hunt.

14-Dec-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Thanks for the kind words....

As I age (66 in February) I like to dress in layers when it's cold and that dang wind is tough on anyone I suppose.

I keep moving and hunting as I go has worked well for me over the years.

14-Dec-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I seems like about every 8-9 years the migration really slows down for some reason and there are very few elk or Buff on the NER.

I spent a day on the North and a day on the South and saw squat for elk nor any Buff, sorry PB!

The next 3 pix shows ya what it was like this year when 'Normally' there are 400-600 elk and a few Buff herds scattered around until Tag-n-Drag or other hunters get on them and then they blow out fast!

Absolutely no complaints from me though, as it's just overwhelmingly Great to just be there.

14-Dec-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo

14-Dec-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo

14-Dec-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Over the years it seems like me and this fellow from Thayne have our FAV area's to hunt, he likes more along the wetland area's, even if they are frozen over as a travel corridor and I like my Miller Butte and one other spot that I can ambush from.

I came across these wolf tracks while heading onto/up Miller Butte

Man, they sure have a long stride!

14-Dec-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
One of my FAV ambush spots has been very productive and this is an example of a previous set-up on the South unit as it's primitive weapons Only

14-Dec-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
If I'm using my Muzzy I have a 100 yards or less self rule, if I am using my Recurve it's more like 25 yards self rule

14-Dec-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
There were a few Hot ewes in the area and the Rams certainly were posturing for them!

14-Dec-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo

14-Dec-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Best Ram I saw------->

14-Dec-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
A little bit better Curl angle of him

14-Dec-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
I need to take my Fly Rod up one year and fish the Snake River
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I need to take my Fly Rod up one year and fish the Snake River
Before I close for today, a few Tid-Bits about this area ~~

Teton County is one of the top per capita income counties in the U.S. ( the Billionaires have run the Millionaires out and down to Star Valley!)

Jackson Hole refers to the entire valley which is approximately 80 miles long and 15 miles wide

Jackson refers to the town or downtown area.

The elevation in Jackson is 6,237 ft, the top of Jackson Hole Mountain Resort (Teton Village) is 10,450 ft, the top of the Grand Teton is 13,775 ft

Of course we all know what the French word Teton stands for in English!!

I Got's ta roll for now.

Thanks again for the kind words and for taking the time to View,

Robb

14-Dec-19
Hunted Driggs side down behind where they use to have the Music Fest. Had Army bud who grew up right there. Talk about a place to grow up! Fished the river just north of the Refuge. Hell, back then we may have been in the Refuge who knows. Nice forearm length rainbows. Great pictures. The migration start yet?

KH~

14-Dec-19
Robb, in 1974 a good friend from Ohio moved into the Jackson Hole area where he worked with a few contractors building houses. Two years later he moved to Alaska stating, "i can't stand the rich and famous crowd". Seems like back then and this confirms your millionaire/billionaire statement, the area is not like the explorers and trappers found for sure.

14-Dec-19
decades ago it was fun to go to Jackson and hang out, have beer where John Wayne used to hang out, one great thing was a float down the Snake and getting wet in the Big Kahuna. Last couple times there decided that was it, just getting too rich, believe that the snow skiing helped in the down fall of a small neat place.

14-Dec-19
There was a good story about this hunt in a recent Bugle magazine, featuring the daughter of the Cody guide who was killed by the grizzly....

14-Dec-19
My wife and I had the opportunity to run a rafting business on the Snake R. for the summer of 1995...we fell in love with the "Hole".....your pics bring a flood of good memories.

Thanks a Lot, Joe

15-Dec-19

BULELK1's Link
Yes that's my Combo Camp trlr with the rooftop Tent folder away, I sure like that set-up.

The link above show it in it's other use.

Now back to the Trip

15-Dec-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Lot's of Bull Moose had migrated Off the Mountain

15-Dec-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo

15-Dec-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo

15-Dec-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
A couple years ago this Bull elk had some funky hide disease or something??

I felt bad for him just slowly freezing to death.

15-Dec-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo

15-Dec-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I try NOT to go thru this area in the dark-------->

Something eerie about it.

15-Dec-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo

15-Dec-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I for sure have 1 meal at Bubba's Rib place!

15-Dec-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
The big storm was rolling in calling for 6-8 inches by morning...…..Ya can't even see Snow King ski resort with the snow coming down heavy

15-Dec-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I'll finish in the AM tomorrow.

I'm heading down to Mill Creek Canyon here in my home state to break in the new snowshoes!

Thanks for taking the time to view and for your comments All

I think I got all the Private questions asked......

Good luck, Robb

16-Dec-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I like to do some shopping (50% off my replacement/new snowshoes) and some tourist stuff too

This is my all time FAV Elk Mount Display

16-Dec-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
My personal goal for this year was to fill and packout my 3 elk tags on solo hunts.

I went 2 of 3 so I came close dang it

16-Dec-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
That wraps up my final hunt and end of the seasons for hunting Big Game.

What a way to wrap the Fall Hunts

Thanks for taking the time to view and for your input ~~ All

#LovinLife,

Robb

16-Dec-19
Thanks for sharing. Wish I was with you. Sometimes I eat at Bubbas twice. Once as soon as I get there and then again right before I leave. See you in Alpine when we retire neighbor!

16-Dec-19
Great hunt and great country Robb! Wish I would have been able to apply for NER this year but I have another elk hunt in the works this week :-) Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

16-Dec-19
Whats the story on that big bone pile

16-Dec-19
Those are what’s left of the racks of babyback ribs from Bubbas! Lol

16-Dec-19
I know where there a couple piles of bones like that. The ones I know of are all road kill dump sites that are on county or city own properties.

16-Dec-19
Another beautiful adventure in the books! Thank You for sharing.

Congrats on filling those elk tags this Season, Robb!

16-Dec-19
Thanks for bringing us along, Robb!

17-Dec-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Joe ~~It's back on the Market For Sale!

17-Dec-19

BULELK1's Link
I've been asked how the new JPGladiator did/is doing and what kinda tires I use in the snowy winter travels towing.

See my link above for the ole thread....about it

17-Dec-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
See Bou', it's a Jeep cooler but made by Yeti!! hehe
BULELK1's embedded Photo
See Bou', it's a Jeep cooler but made by Yeti!! hehe
I averaged 12.8 mpg and I was in 4x4 wheel drive 1/2 the travel miles to Jackson and I was in 4x4 wheel drive from Jackson all the way to Cokeville traveling home.... NO complaints on that MPG--------> Toss in towing the Combo Camp trlr up and back too!

Like I've stated many times in the past I am a Toyo brand tire guy...…

I rotated on my winter Toyo MT's back in November and them suckers certainly bite for traction!

17-Dec-19
I'm prolly pretty certain the bone pile is from elk that die on the NER and they drag them off to this type place as they run the Sleigh rides and don't want the tourist seeing dead animals laying around??

Thanks for the kind words and for viewing ……

Good luck, Robb

PS~~ Keep us posted on your Pop's late date elk hunt JB---That is going to be one cold Hunt!

17-Dec-19
Great pics Robb thanks! I missed this year one of my favorite hunts by far.

30-Dec-19
Great thread, thank you. I plan to take a summer vacation with my 2 kids this year in August. I plan to fly into Jackson Hole and explore Tetons and Yellowstone for a week. I’ve been online searching but figure there are some knowledgeable people here so looking for a little intel if anyone can provide. Is there a central location to stay where we can spend a couple of days in the Tetons, then a few days in Yellowstone... or is it best to change locations as we travel to from Jackson to Yellowstone? Definitely plan to see the normal attractions while out there like old Faithful, mammoth, etc. Not camping just lodging, so I don’t know if places do a day or two or best to stay in one location. Plan to also hike, raft, zip line, horseback ride and maybe even some fishing. Any help or must do’s would be appreciated.

30-Dec-19
I don't have a "central location". When we did this as a family trip, we stayed at the KOA in W Yellowstone. One thing to keep in mind w/Yellowstone. You CANNOT make good road time when traveling through park. Between winding roads and cars/buses stopped at animal bigger than a mouse, you might average 30 mph. You are sightseeing and making stops also. You might cover a loop a day if you are not stopping much.

RE Jackson area. We stayed in Hoback Junction. We did a gondola ride up to peak at Teton Village as one of our many stops. You can fly fish a different stream every day of the summer and not hit the same one.

30-Dec-19
You need to consider the size of Yellowstone. You mention old faithful and mammoth, both great, but hours apart.

Example, when we finished in Yellowstone at mammoth then drive to jackson, that was the better part of a day driving. Its huge

31-Dec-19

BULELK1's Link
It might be best to stay in Buffalo Valley @ the Hatchet Resort, See my link above. I've stayed there on late date elk hunting into late November and they are nice.

It's about 10 minutes east of Moran Junction and the pay station for Grand Teton and Yellowstone, about 30 minutes to the south entrance of Yellowstone.

About 30 minutes to Jackson going south and right along the Tetons.

Like stated above, no way you can do Yellowstone on a 1 day trip in/out.....and back to lodging!! Just way to much to see...…

I've had friends do the Jackson/Grand Teton and south end of Yellowstone for a couple days and then drive over Teton Pass down into Victor/Driggs, Idaho and drive up to Henry's Lake/West Yellowstone for a couple days and do the north end of Yellowstone.....

Enjoy and travel safe,

Robb

31-Dec-19

TrapperKayak's embedded Photo
"..cars/buses stopped at animal bigger than a mouse.." Last time there we came to a 30+ car cluster blocking the highway, so we stopped to see if it was a griz, and all it was was a coyote. Seriously? Look Mommy, its a wolf!!!! (up behind the NWR in JH)

31-Dec-19

Coming soon to a state near you.

31-Dec-19

31-Dec-19

Now in CO.

31-Dec-19

31-Dec-19

You need at least a week in YS to really get the most out of it.

31-Dec-19

Grand Prismatic.

31-Dec-19

JH, Jenny Lake.

31-Dec-19

My advice..go in mid - late Sept.

31-Dec-19

The reason its "Yellowstone".

31-Dec-19

On the way out of YS and into JH.

31-Dec-19

Looking SW toward JH from Jenny Lake. The hike around is about 4 miles maybe. Great hike. There is a side canyon up to a falls on the back side, up into the peaks.

31-Dec-19

Bule, I have Toyo Open Countrys on mine year round too. Can't be beat IMO.

Take the time to see the little stuff in YS if you go.

31-Dec-19
Awesome information guys, I really appreciate it and glad I posted because you don’t get this type of insight from a Google search.

Robb, thanks I will look into that place, looks pretty cool and something we would like.

Trapper, I would prefer to go other than August, but kids are out of school on summer vacation so I’m limited.

Thanks again for the information. Much appreciated.

31-Dec-19
Toby, book lodging at least a year in advance if you want to stay anywhere in the park in Aug. Even the campgrounds fill up well in advance for that time of year. In Madison Junction, there are some old CCC barracks you can stay in for much less money than a lodge but it is kind of 'primitive' lodging. There are showers in the bathrooms and bunks, that's about it. Its not that bad, but not any kind of modern convenience compared to a real hotel or lodge. Campgrounds will be chock full that time of year. Plan for a lot of unanticipated stops along the road - people are just plain discourteous sometimes when driving and watching for stuff. Gotta be alert driving...

31-Dec-19
IDK about Zipline, but there is an elevated ropes course thing in West Yellowstone.

31-Dec-19
Thanks Trapper!!!

31-Dec-19

Tennhunter's embedded Photo
Yellowstone
Yellowstone

31-Dec-19
Enjoyed the nice pics Trapper while having coffee on this New Years eve morning. Thanks. Winter here with above average snow already so the pictures are timely! Went through JH, Tetons, and Yellowstone early last June. Will get out snowshoeing this morning to end the year. Been going out pretty much every morning. September not that far off ! Happy New Year to all of you. And don't do anything tonight I wouldn't do.

31-Dec-19

Tetons and a bull in Yellowstone.
Tetons and a bull in Yellowstone.

31-Dec-19

Tetons
Tetons
Try again.

31-Dec-19

Tetons.
Tetons.

31-Dec-19
Tennhunter, looks like you were standing in the same place I was for that pic.

Toby, you bet! So much to see there.

Happy New Year! I won't be going out except for a trip to BJ's for a few items. NYE is for the young and restless.

31-Dec-19

Tetons
Tetons

31-Dec-19
That pic brings back a good memory. Was standing not far from there when we heard a 'jet' fly over. But it was not a jet, it was an avalanche coming down that slide in the upper middle part of the mountain above, and it was as loud as a jet in the distance. Lasted about 40 seconds. The snow cover was about the same as here. That was the first time we went there. There was no snow the second tome. Pretty cool sight!

31-Dec-19
I worked two summers in Yellowstone, four days a week to explore. I put on over 700 miles of backcountry hiking and barely touched what is available in the park. A week in the park will allow you to gloss over all the front country, that which you can drive to and within a half mile of parking. The park is amazing, an I would encourage anyone going there to get up before sunrise, drive to a trailhead, and WALK!

31-Dec-19
Had to run over to Jackson last week ( 90 minute ride) to pick up a welding machine and these salt lickers were in the middle of the road. Pretty common just north of Alpine, I waited for a long while and they wouldn't move so I had to inch up on them and pretty much push them out of the way. There were a few more off to the side not in the pics.

31-Dec-19
Fabulous pictures and write up.

31-Dec-19

31-Dec-19
Toby...check PMs.

Bob...I went by there around the same time. Both sides of the road were blocked. Lots of elk bedded a little south of Hoback.

01-Jan-20

BULELK1's Link
This Heart 6 Resort has plenty of activities that you and the kids may enjoy for a more all inclusive activities. See my link above--------> About 10 minutes from Moran Junction and the park's pay station to enter.

They use to send out a postcard offering very reasonable lodging and if ya wanted it was like $300.00 a day for a guide and horses to fill your Gen Any Elk tag before the unit (71) closed the end of November.

Myself and the Ole Marine did it twice but without using the guide and horses. Very nice place to stay at for sure.

I can't remember if they still do the tour van into Yellowstone or not any more but that would be kinda nice having them take ya.

Plenty of options for you and your Fam-Fam,

Robb

01-Jan-20
True that, those elk are all over the place by the Fall Creek FS road turn off, below HBJ.

I always wondered why there isn't more wrecks as so many people stop and take pix of those Mnt. Goats in the mouth of the Snake River Canyon area.

Thanks for sharing your pix fella's------->

Good luck, Robb

01-Jan-20
Once again everyone, thanks for all of the suggestions and feedback. Definitely glad I posted. Can’t get all of this detailed information from just an internet search. Keep it coming and Happy New Year to you all !!!

• Sitka Gear