Linecutter 27-Jan-20
APauls 27-Jan-20
Fuzzy 27-Jan-20
WNYTCIII 27-Jan-20
Kannuck 31-Jan-20
SixLomaz 09-Feb-20
Shaft2Long 09-Feb-20
23-Jan-20
This is something I have thought about for a while, but seeing Yellowjacket's thread "Just Hanging Around" led me to start this thread.

As a man and a father I really don't sit around thinking, will my kids keep this or that of mine or my wife's when we die and will it mean anything to them? I realize that some things that are important to me won't be to them. That being said....there is something in me that wishes that when I am dead and gone that someone else will enjoy my bowhunting toys, my mounts and other souvenirs I have as much as I do. I realize this is not really the most logical thought, but I think it comes from the fact that after my faith in Christ, bowhunting is what defines me. These little things, like a funny colored turkey spur or a dinky 6 point rack or an old camo shirt mean so much to me, but more than likely will mean nothing to anyone else.

In reality I know my stuff is meaningless, like Solomon said....it is like chasing the wind. It's just some crap I have collected over the years to everyone else but to me it is so much more. It means something to me because of the story that goes with it. Those stories and great times are going to die with each and every one of us. I wish I could bottle up those feelings and pass them on to someone else, but I realize that the reason why I bowhunt is what can't be passed on. I can give or leave my stuff to someone, but I can't give them my passion.

P.S. I am not trying to die anytime soon either. :)

23-Jan-20
Was thinking maybe a Viking funeral. Load up the boat with all my worldly possessions push it out to sea and shoot a flaming arrow into the mess...

23-Jan-20
Where this really expresses itself is not with your children, or people you know, but the next generation. They will have no emotional connection to your stuff. To them it will just be some junk some old guy left behind.

23-Jan-20
My dad died 2 years ago. I love his old stuff. I wore his old red and black wool coat this year rather than all my lightweight kuiu stuff. I even pack grandpas old 12 gauge rather than a light 20 while chukar hunting. Im sure you have influenced many others that will get joy out of stuff

23-Jan-20
I think the best we can do is pass on our passion to willing younger hunters, so they can accumulate their own memories, along with their own meaningful but valueless "crap".

Matt

23-Jan-20
Don't know what to expect so I'm taking my stuff with me

23-Jan-20
I’m much the opposite. I’m 44, and certainly not hoping to Kick it anytime soon. And I don’t have any kids, so that dog won’t hunt.

Quite honestly I have a lot of nice hunting stuff, but it’s just stuff. When i kick it it goes to the yard sale or whatever. And quite honestly I wouldn’t be all that upset if my house burned tomorrow, obviously it would suck pretty bad, but at the end of the day it’s all just stuff. Many days I wish I had less of it...

But I’m guessing I’m in the vast minority of BS posters in this regard.

—Jim

23-Jan-20
I hope maybe my daughter will keep at least one of my mounts to hang on her wall. My biggest whitetail she and my wife where in a blind with me when she was 6 years old. Hope she will want to keep that one.

23-Jan-20
My son is an archer/bowhunter like myself & we've shared many advetures since he was like 3. He's now in his 40s. I have a written letter to my son about my mounts, hunting gear & he is aware. It says, he will receive "all" & may dispose of it as he wishes. I bought my 1st real bow in 1956, killed my 1st deer with it in 1958. He has it displayed with all his Bows & gear at his home. My "stuff" that has some importance to me will mean absolutely zero to anyone else. I had a hard cover photo book of many of my bowhunting adventures (spanning 64 years now). I gave one to each of my G-sons in hopes they might look at it on occasion once I am gone. I just give the kids, G-kids different things along the way. Most of the things, toys or what ever we collect along our journey through life is important to no one but us (usually). If nots worth a fortune, no one will care. If it is worth a fortune & not "willed", they will fight about it .

23-Jan-20
I have a truck scheduled for the Tuesday or Sunday after I die. In fact he comes now twice every week just to check

23-Jan-20
I was an only child, and probably my stuff will be auctioned off by my two daughters, but hopefully some of my 6 grandkids will keep some of the firearms, especially the ones handed down to me all the way back from my great-grandfather,,, but who knows, kinda sad to think about it actually... Rest of the material things I don't really care about, just the firearms to be handed down...

23-Jan-20
My dad passed 5 years ago. I always thought I would take his mounts. But when the time came, I didn’t. Have a couple guns and some tools. My oldest ended up with his sweet sixteen, and his brother got his 3030. After going through this, I quit mounting anything, just my decision. I also asked my sons what they wanted of mine, then gave it to them. If I want to use it I will borrow it back ( probably will not happen). I spent more time making memories with each now. We all deal with these things differently. Greg

23-Jan-20
I like this thread because it made me think about the stuff I retained of my Father's when he died. It's a short list that mostly relates to hunting. It includes his old hunting Jeep, his collection of guns, his reloading equipment, his impressive pile of antlers accumulated over his 83 years of life, and pictures of course. Whether anyone will want any of that stuff when I'm gone, who knows, but I've enjoyed having them, and I know that makes my Father happy.

Matt

23-Jan-20

joehunter's embedded Photo
My son and daughter with my daughters 2019 Wy general tag DIY public land bull. They went two for two on six point bulls. I was there! They have the passion!
joehunter's embedded Photo
My son and daughter with my daughters 2019 Wy general tag DIY public land bull. They went two for two on six point bulls. I was there! They have the passion!
This line from Bowfreak original post struck a nerve " but I realize that the reason why I bowhunt is what can't be passed on. I can give or leave my stuff to someone, but I can't give them my passion."

I could care less about my mounts, bows, guns, ect. They can all go in the trash! I want to give them my passion!

And yes we can give them our passion!!!!!!!

23-Jan-20
I don’t even have pictures. Just memories to hold. That grow sweater each season. As I slowly grow old.

23-Jan-20
All I care if they take are my values. I could care less about my valuables.

23-Jan-20
Your wife's new husband will get your stuff. Be sure to leave some beer in the fridge too.

23-Jan-20
All I can say is make sure you have a well laid out plan for whoever is inheriting your stuff and.ultimately settling your estate. It is a tall task to try to figure out a person's intentions after they are dead.

23-Jan-20
No wife so no new husband will get my stuff.

I have instilled the love for the outdoors in my kids so that part is covered.

I have a will. It specifically states that my kids can do what they want with my stuff. Antlers on the wall? Sell em by the pound. Should be a few thousand $$$.

I even have it stated where to spread my ashes - the exact coordinates where I killed my first elk. Several actually.

The rest? Who knows.

23-Jan-20
Any you guys with a 34'' waist about 32'' inseam kick the bucket and have a lot of sitka, first lite, ect. and family needs help getting rid of it. Tell them to let me know I am happy to help.

23-Jan-20
I told my wife to give my bows and guns to her next husband and she told me he doesn't hunt or shoot guns so he wouldn't use them !!!!

23-Jan-20

23-Jan-20
A buddy of mine at work inherited about a thousand or so guns from his dad. Yep. A freaking armory. He and his brothers are now stuck with the daunting task of selling all those guns..... Through an auction company that is buying the whole lot.......

What a big pain in the ass. My kids will have a bunch of junk that they can throw into a dumpster.....Maybe a gun or three for them to have.

23-Jan-20
A very thoughtful and thought provoking thread Bowfreak.

On occasion when I was a funeral director folks would come in to make pre arrangements. They would select their service type, casket, burial vault etc. and I would keep it on file for when they passed.

One afternoon I made pre arrangements with an elderly gentleman that would forever change my view on materia things. I was in my early 20's, single and care free. He was terminally ill and not long for this world. I knew who he was in the community, a multi millionaire with more money than I could ever imagine at the time. He explained to me that he was dying and him coming in to make his arrangements would give his adult children one less thing to fight about. He was very matter of fact and to the point about his impending mortality and his selections. It was one of the quickest arrangements I could remember doing. I was sitting with him in my office finishing the paper work and he said, (as close as I can remember)

"Jim, when you get married and have a family spend time with your loved ones. Don't trouble your whole life with making money, make memories. I have more money than I know what to do with. I'm a terrible father, I was a terrible husband, my adult children are spoiled assholes that only care about how much money they will get when I die. You will meet them soon and see I'm correct in my assessment. All my money can't change any of those things. Don't be like me. "

He passed away about a month later and he was right about his kids.

I'm happily married with a 13 year old son and they are my everything. I'll never be a rich man unless I win the Powerball. When I die I don't care what happens to my stuff, hopefully it'll find a good home and my son will hang onto some off it. Memories, good times, smiles, knowledge passed on and traditions are where it's at for me.

23-Jan-20
It's interesting to me how many Fathers mention guns as the only material thing they hope to pass along. The only personal material items my Father specified who would get in his will was his guns. Everything else he left for me and my sisters to decide. I think that's symbolic of the freedoms and rights that our forefathers felt were most important.

Thank you, Bowfreak, your thread has given me reason to pause for reflection.

Matt

23-Jan-20
Michael.... Not all of our dad’s hunted. My dad is in his mid 80’s. He recently gave me a medal that my grandpa earned while he served on the U.S.S. Arizona. That little medal is my most cherished possession.

And just because I decorate my house with a handful of mounts to remind me of hunts..... I don’t expect my kids to want to decorate their house with some dusty old mounts. If they do.... that’s fine.... if not.... that’s fine too........ I would hope that a few pictures are more important to them than the mounts.

23-Jan-20
Ben: I knew that was coming. Sorta like the golf clubs he wouldn't use because he is left handed.

23-Jan-20
I'm trying to get rid of stuff. I don't have children. My only concern is that my dog is well taken care of. My wife will take care of that. She can do what she wants with my "stuff." It is just stuff. I don't plan on going anywhere soon, but you never know.

23-Jan-20
Osage, How did you know he is left handed? LOL

23-Jan-20
Supernaut, thank you for your post. Many (including myself at times) would do well to heed the wise words from that old man. If I departed tomorrow would any of this "stuff" truly matter? No, it wouldn't. The adventures with my family, love and memories would. Other than a handful of family heirlooms, its all just trinkets. The true treasure we possess as sportsmen is the love and knowledge of the outdoors. As others have stated, pass that on and you've succeeded.

23-Jan-20
I had a bow hunting buddy. Loved bow hunting the western states. He died in a car wreck at age 45. Along the way before, he had told his wife when he died, he wanted to be buried where he lived and where he loved, out west.

When he died she promptly boxed him up, shipped him back east, and planted him where he was born.

You guys can believe what you want about what will happen after you die if it makes you feel good. But unless you have legally provided for it, it is up to the whims of the survivors as to whether it will happen. What' ya gonna do about? You'll be dead.

23-Jan-20
ground hunter,

How old were you when your Father died? I was 32, and I was well on my way to accumulating more "stuff" than he ever had. So I didn't need or want his "stuff", with the exception of a few personal items that we both cherished. I think he raised me right.

I'm not looking for an argument with you. I admire that you and your daughter cherish your father's heirlooms. But every family is different. For many families, the "stuff" their parents leave behind is more burden than anything.

Matt

23-Jan-20
i just asked my girlfriend what she gonna do with all my stuff when I pass someday. She said “that’s easy, sell it”. Then she laughed. I do have a 20 year old son that hunts, but isn’t into it like me. Not sure he will even hunt after I go. Maybe as he gets older he will more. Hopefully long time away before it’s all said and done.

23-Jan-20
For you married guys, NEVER tell your wife to sell your stuff what you told her you paid for it! Haha!

23-Jan-20
This post is a multiple choice test with no wrong answers. I have a few deer racks on the wall. They make me happy and I can relive every hunt When asked around them. I know they are worthless bones on boards to others. I would like to think when the time comes I could leave my hunting stuff with a young man or woman to keep while I am still able to hunt with them or at least listen to them tell about a hunt they went on. I am working on giving my grandchildren good memories. Many folks in my life left me some great memories. These memories are more valuable than stuff and fireproof. They are not however transferable. Thank you for the thought provoking post.

23-Jan-20
If you have a family, don't procrastinate and get a last will and living will done or you will cause a lot of grief to your family beyond your death.

I have everything planned out including my death. It will be on my hundredth birthday at the hands of a jealous man. ;-)

GG, you got a pic of that jeep of your dads?

23-Jan-20
I won't know! LOL

23-Jan-20
After my dad died last February, I started to look at life completely different. Not that I hadn't lost family before. He was almost 50 when he had me so most of my elder relatives were dead before I was 21. It got me to thinking of all the times I have squandered my life with meaningless things and I should have been making more memories with family and friends. If you are one of the lucky ones, the only thing you take with you are your memories. I do keep his tools and firearms as a memory of happier times. Someday when I'm gone, they will probably sell every thing for pennies on the dollar.

23-Jan-20
My son will get two or three of my guns, just because they are my favorites. Two good friends get one each, my wife already knows who to contact to sell the rest. The rest is mostly just stuff. She can sell it as she pleases or let the kids take whatever they want. I certainly won’t need it nor will she.

23-Jan-20
Funny how you guy wish for your final remains to go... Have told my daughters to take any savings money (if any left ) to cremate my remains and book a bush plane in Alaska and scatter my ashes out the window...8^) Am dead serious (pun intended), but know that likely wont happen... Always dreamed of going to Alaska and flying in a bush plane be haven't made it there yet, maybe after I'm dead...8^(

Ironic this thread,,, my x-brother-in-law died yesterday unexpectedly at 58 and was not ill, but was said died of natural causes (Am still wondering about that)… Anyhow they're gonna cremate him, have urn and photo at funeral home for 2 hours visiting Sunday, and that's it...

23-Jan-20
"GG, you got a pic of that jeep of your dads?"

Hundreds. I restored it top to bottom on its 30th birthday in dedication to my Father. He was watching every minute, I know it.

Matt

23-Jan-20
I'll be gone by 60 and my wife will be badass hunter, still. With the longevity of the women on her side, she'll have another 30-40 years to talk about our time together... or not. After that, take the stuff and make a bonfire?

24-Jan-20
I just visited my grandpa this past weekend. He's 97 and-a-half and just went into assisted living after living by himself till the young age of 97.

At 41, I hope to be less than half of the way there, but after getting charged by grizz twice this past fall, it makes one ponder the odds.

I've written letters to both my daughters in case of my untimely demise, for the safe-keeping of my sister to deliver to them , but never mailed them to my sister.

Ultimately, I'd hope my daughters kept something of mine, no matter if it was a mount or something silly, to remember me by.

I've done that of all my ancestors that I've known and a couple that I never knew.

24-Jan-20
It would be "nice" to get something terminal and be told you had X amount of time so I could give away the "stuff" to whom I desire and sell the rest that has any value. It would make it easier for my kids and me, as I could write it all down now and not worry about it!

24-Jan-20
When my parents passed my sisters fought over their stuff as I watched on not wanting to get involved. My goal is to leave nothing of value so that doesn't happen to me. So far I'm doing a pretty good job. The ex and her attorney made sure of that. My whole life the only thing I wanted to leave to my kids was my family land but that was already liquidated thanks to the ex’s unemployment and greed. Just turned 60 and been thinking about this lately. Remarried to a first class gem a few years ago and will leave her everything to distribute with the help of my oldest son who is an accountant and lives nearby.

24-Jan-20
My fervent hope is that I can get rid of 75% of my gear in the next ten years. That 'gear' includes the majority of ALL my hunting and fishing equipment and clothing. It also includes my taxidermy. I have a literal semi-trailer of things that I don't want my wife or kids to deal with....assuming I hit the big slide first. Who ends up with any of it doesn't matter to me, except I want my family to have first choice. It wouldn't bother me to know they want none of it, "sell it all!"....and that's a good thing.

In the final analysis, it's all just earthly baggage.

24-Jan-20
Good input from all. I debated ever starting this thread as I wondered if I was the only person who thought about this stuff.

I think it is so odd that we have these items in our life that have such value to us, but in reality it is junk when you get right down to it. I tell my kids all the time, that I changed their diapers and they are going to change mine. In reality I don't want to be a burden, and I always think of that in terms of my care. However, the stuff I've accrued has the makings of being a burden in itself.

24-Jan-20
EBay

24-Jan-20
Sorry but I will be dead and could care less. Live now and for the moment at hand. Enjoy your family and friends and don't worry about such trivial stuff after all it's just stuff. In the end memories are all we have, make a bunch of them and cherish them!! Shawn

24-Jan-20
I have a phenomenal full body turkey mount on a base....how many craft beers is this worth?

24-Jan-20
Good thread. My Dad hunted elk, deer, bear, and all sorts of small game and took me along for 50 some years. He passed this past July. I grew up some what poor but never new it. Since his passing I have found how little he actually owned but made due with. Me on the other hand had got caught up in some of the advertising and must have stuff. I have really been re-evaluating this. One of my archery mentors sold / gave me archery gear at a loss to him that I couldn't afford for my family back in the day. I now understand why and trying to copy his ways.

24-Jan-20
Sadly, death can bring out the worst in people. I witnessed countless arguments among family members and even broke up a few physical altercations when I was a funeral director. When you add money or valuables left behind to be divided up it can get even uglier.

Make a will, let your loved ones know what you want done with your stuff. You will save them a lot of worry after you are gone. If you do this, you will help them even after you're gone.

Your choice of being buried or cremated is honestly out of your hands after you die. In PA as well as most states it will fall to your next of kin. I've seen this become an argument during funeral arrangements and you wont be around to give your "input". Hopefully your next of kin will honor your wishes but that's not always the case.

24-Jan-20
Bring out your dead.."I'm not dead yet", "Oh but you will be soon"

"Really I'm feeling much better.."

Couldn't resist.

My Dad died over 25 years ago. Used to wear his hat hunting til it started falling apart. My son was wearing his jacket til just a year or two ago. Bow and arrows, mounts displayed at my brother's place. I still have most of his fishing poles and the boat we shared. Bought out his share by paying back Mom.

Been to enough Estate sales to know possessions don't last long. In one case the elderly woman was being helped by her brother-in-law who didn't hunt. Hunting stuff, box of cedar arrows/w broadheads, flies for a few bucks. I took her aside and mentioned that a lot of it was worth, much, much, more. Talked about hunting web forums, hunting organizations etc. Not sure if she used the advice.

In another case it was a archery store mgr. dying early age of an auto-immune disease. It took him out in a matter of 3-4 months. All his stuff was on display at the store, he was there in a wheel chair. I didn't need anything just asked if I could donate to the cause without buying anything.

Lastly, had a friend die a few years ago. His wife took a lot of his belongings placed them in a small boat, covered with glass. Made a nice memoriam display. No idea what happened to his mounts.

24-Jan-20
My boys will split up my gun collection. There’s probably five mounts they’ll want to keep. And my hunting properties is their call. Keep or sell. Beyond that I don’t care what they do with it. As far as I’m concerned they can put everything in a dumpster. I’m mounting less and less each year for this very reason. If my dad hunted I would probably keep one mount. The mounts are a reminder of my experiences. I don’t expect anyone else gives a crap about them. I’m also happy to donate them to a restaurant or a hunting club. What will make me happy from the other side is that I raised my kids right and they have their own mounts on the wall. That’s already highly likely.

24-Jan-20
My dad pass away in 1976 at the young age of 50. I'm 66 now and still remember all the hunts and fishing we did like it was yesterday. I have his Springfield 30-06 and Remington 12 gauge pump shotgun and bamboo flyrod made 1936 and still use them. My girls do not hunt but they like flyfishing . My will states that the guns stay in family forever and the bamboo flyrod too. I have enough flyrods to support a family of six so no problem there for my girls. As for my other stuff keep what they want and give or sell for someone else to enjoyed. My motto: Taste life no one can taste it for you.

24-Jan-20
My dad turns 81 next month. Sadly he stopped hunting a couple years ago because he just no longer had the urge. I took his old 30-06 and it sits in my safe alongside a 1940's single shot 22 he got from his great uncle. I have his first whitetail (1954), his first Mule Deer and his first Pronghorn hanging in my office on plaques. All my hunting items go to my brother, cousin or nephew...after my daughter has the chance to take whatever she wants.

24-Jan-20
Me? The material things are easy to to resolve. My main concern is that I left a legacy of real love and faith that they too acquire and pass on when they leave.

24-Jan-20
This is a statement in my Will

"If any named beneficiary files a lawsuit against this WILL or the Estate or takes legal action against this WILL and/or Estate, the total compensation [including asset value] to that beneficiary shall not exceed $200. "

24-Jan-20
My dad is still alive, but in thinking about his stuff, there is only a few things that I really want of his that have real meaning. None of it is archery stuff as, to be honest, archery stuff really isn't lasting stuff. I do have his 12 foot duck boat that he bought in the 50s, that me, him and my brother hunted out of in our youth. I love that thing! Me and my 13 y.o. hunted out of it this past fall. He loves it and wants it too! Dad also has some guns I'd really like to have. One a cheap old Ward's Hercules side by side 12 gauge that I shot my first duck with (a big black duck BTW). He also has one of the early Browning A5 Magnum 12 gauges, a pre-64 Winchester .22 semi auto, and a pre-64 Model 94 30-30 carbine. Other than those things, I don't think there's much he has I will really cherish.

24-Jan-20
I don't get shoulder mounts mostly because of this. Plus, I'd actually have to kill something worth mounting. There were three things I had hoped to get from my Dad. A 20 gauge shotgun made in the late 40's that was my Grandfathers first. He has already given that gun to my nephew because he doesn't see the sentimental value of it and to him my nephew needed a gun and he had one. A Ruger M77 .270 that I remember him hunting with when I was little. Like 5 years old. That gun really came to symbolize hunting to me. He ran a .308 bullet through it about 7 years ago and destroyed it. A Buck knife that was given to him by hunting buddies when I was born, 47 years ago. He lost that knife this year. I am hoping if my kids want something from me they are smart enough to tell me before I start doing this. The rest I have already told my wife I want her to find a young family and give them everything they want.

24-Jan-20
Funny that here on the Bowsite that a lot of guys mention the passing down of guns.... but few mention the passing down of bows..... I believe that traditional bows would be more of an heirloom than a compound bow......

24-Jan-20
My father had a collection of virtually every Belgian Browning semi-auto shotgun made, a 1950’s Kodiak bow, a Brown Bess flinter carried by my several great grandfather General Pope in the Revolutionary War and his huge coin collection. He left it to the son of his mistress, including a 2400 farm. We could have fought it but why have something that the owner didn’t want you to have? Besides, it is just stuff and he is getting his reward now as he passed away several years ago. My music gave me a good living along with teaching later anyway. The greatest gift he gave me was a real lesson in how not to treat your wife and kids. My wife’s and my will is set. My kids and grandkids get everything. The land is in trust with the kids. All three are very successful, so it will be just a place to vacation or hunt for them.

24-Jan-20
Have slowly been getting rid of stuff. Biggest caribou and one nearly as big plus my 3rd best elk grace a friends mountain cabin. He never hunted and it's nice to see someone enjoy them. Most of my mounts will end up in a garage sale. Same with firearms and bows.

Sons hunt and have their own stuff. Granddaughters will want some but aren't in a position to get it.

I want to be burned in a pile of old fence posts on my land. Let the wind move me around.

24-Jan-20
I won't remember my dad with "stuff" when he passes. I'll remember our first duck hunt, my first deer, my first buck, my first elk, my first antelope, and most important of all, the gift of bowhunting he gave me. I hope my kids remember the same about me. As others have said before, stuff is just stuff. It's the stuff we've collected between our ears that matters most of all.

24-Jan-20
Pretty easy in my case, although I'm only 38. My wife and I's mausoleum is in place. We'll rest together on both sides of our son. Honestly, if it weren't for my son, I'd be happy rotting away on the side of some mountain somewhere. Still may happen I guess

We have a testamentary trust for my daughter, who's under 18. If something happens to us both, everything goes to my brother as Trustee of our daughter. Everything automatically transfers through non-probate transfers, and I trust him to make the correct decisions. I'm sure he'll try to give guns/bows/knives/gear/mounts/books to my daughter, nephews, family and friends. And if not, he'll try to sell them or trash them. I've left places for him to call. Some hunting book collectors and resellers, etc.

I'm confident my wife and daughter will do the right things with it all someday. I honestly don't care too much. I think my daughter might like a mount or two, and I'm sure she'll want to keep some of the guns/gear. I don't have a lot of guns that are worth keeping, honestly. One nice rifle, one good AR, and a good shotgun. The rest are nothing to get excited about, and could be sold reasonably at any local auction.

I went to a fairly high brow function a few months ago at a local doctor's second home. They had decorated with HIS father's African trophies from a '50s or '60s safari to East Africa. It was pretty cool. Small leopard rug. Set of black rhino horns. Skull caps of some plains game. I'd love it if someone in the family would do something like that someday with all my crap. If they don't want the whole mount, take them apart and just use horns/antlers and skullcap

24-Jan-20
I just want to know when and where they are doing Treeline's viking funeral so I can be there to watch. Also, I need enough notice to make it there and pack diving equipment.

When i think of my father passing, first of all it hurts, but there's definitely gear of his that I would think fondly of, but mostly I'd want his photos. His mounts don't matter to me. If I had been there for some of them I might want those, but so far that hasn't been the case.

Even if my kids don't give two craps about my mounts I'm still doing it because I love them :) If I'm lucky and hit my golden years, I'll prob start getting rid of stuff then. I'm a huge photo guy. Well taken pictures are 100% priceless.

24-Jan-20

HH's embedded Photo
HH's embedded Photo
I would rather think how I use my gear I made while I live.

K~

24-Jan-20
I look around at my "stuff" and feel a bit guilty for my excessiveness. Who really needs a dozen never-used Randall knives, for example?

I'm with others who are on a mission to get rid of "stuff". I try to fund vacations, hunting or fishing trips, or any new stuff, by selling old stuff. I have enough stuff to make a lot of memories out of.

Matt

24-Jan-20
The older I get the more I could care less who gets my "stuff". I guess if I had my choice, and I imagine this is how it'll play out anyway, is my wife will get everything and will ask my son if he wants any of it. What they don't want, or can't use, I'd hope they'd sell for whatever price their satisfied with and go out for a big fancy dinner and tip one back in rememberance of me.

Chances are, by the time I croak, the whole outdoors scene will be so drastically different than the culture I grew up with, and so far removed and abhored by most of society that my kid won't be interested in any of it...and that's fine with me. I got my use of it, and he'll be a man that can choose his own pursuits...and chase whatever makes him happy.

24-Jan-20
I was one of the lucky few who got a Wisconsin wolf tag during the few years we had a season. Trapped a beautiful female and had a full mount made. I had my daughter come to the taxidermist and when it was time to pick the form I just handed her the book. She asked why she got to pick? I said "so when I die and you end up with it you cant complain about how its mounted". She gets all my mounts and earthly possessions. Once I'm gone she can do whatever she wants with them.

24-Jan-20
Tough question and one I have put some thought into. I do not know the answer but I have come up with two things I want to achieve, at the example of my forefathers.

Grandad left me land, a large chunk of remote land. It is 45 min. from my house. I owe nothing, I pay little for insurance and taxes. We have a nice cabin, and I have promised both my kids a 16 x 20 box with a window and a door when they get married. (I am 3 years late on the first one). My cabin has water and power, we are the end of the power grid before it goes to wilderness, the kid's will not unless they choose to do that. The intention there is cooking and bathing will happen in the main cabin so grandkids (if the Lord provides) will have to visit my cabin hehe. I will likely even do bunks so it is more desirable to stay with grandpa and grandma then mom and dad when we are at the cabin. Anyway I digress. My intention is to log the property and gain enough income to create a taxes and insurance trust account. Therefore when it is handed down to the kids in some form, the taxes and insurance take care of themselves. With this done I don't care if the kids have to live out of state or do not maintain interest in the property, they can just walk away from it and give it to the next in line when the time comes and it has not been a burden on them. The intent of this is to always have land.

Second: My dad has set a great example with my kids. 3 years ago my son asked my dad to go grouse hunting Dad dug two 20 gauges from the safe and they went hunting, When the day was over Boy wonder came home with a 20 gauge, and grandpa put one back in his safe. The lesson I learned from this is it created value for my son. The gun is important to him because he used it when with grandpa and it has memories for him. I think I would like to do the same with fishing gear and such when it has served it's time for me, I shall try to make a memory and pass it on.

The rest of my stuff? I don't care it only has value to me if I am using it or if I have somebody to give it to.

I obviously have more to work out, but I have ideas whirling around in my head, and Lord provide I may have time.

oz

24-Jan-20

HH's embedded Photo
Puka Sticker
HH's embedded Photo
Puka Sticker
HH's embedded Photo
HH's embedded Photo
HH's embedded Photo
Locals Only Hog Knife
HH's embedded Photo
Locals Only Hog Knife
Randall, nice.

I make my own

Kinda what i was driving at. It’s What you do in the here and now.

K

24-Jan-20
I quit taxidermy years ago and have been slowly consolidating my gear. When I pass, I want to leave my faith, my love, my name, some photos and any assets of value. Beyond that, I want the dispensation of my earthly existence to require no more than an afternoon of time and a small roll-off dumpster.

I say that as a person who has accumulated a lot of "inherited" items from trustees who really just want to pass the buck on getting rid of personal items. I have a closet full of worthless guns because I am "the gun guy" in the family. We have an upright piano no one else wanted. The list goes on. It's a BURDEN in many cases and in my advancing years I just turn them away at the asking.

24-Jan-20
I'm hoping to have a "Vonfoust" shrine built to house all my stuff that all future generations can come worship. Still working on the design, debating between more "Parthenon" or "Sphinx". I imagine the wife will help out with this project.

24-Jan-20
My kids will get it all. What they choose to do with it is up to them. I hope that’s not a concern of theirs for a very long time as they’re 2.5 years and 8 months old, respectively.

24-Jan-20
My dad died at age 84, my Mom four years later at the same age and I'm 66. We tend to change our view of the "inevitable" when the "inevitable" becomes closer to it's inevitable conclusion. Our values likely don't change much in life, but what we value does.

Think about how you want to be remembered. Then think about how you can make that happen. Then do it.

"The life of mortals is like grass, they flourish like flowers in a field; the wind blows over it and it is gone, and its place remembers it no more." Psalm 103

24-Jan-20
This quote by Hunter S. Thompson is how I feel about life on this earth.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Hopefully the people who shared some of my "ride" will remember me for that, not any material stuff.

Matt

24-Jan-20
The only thing that survives, is the way we live our lives.

24-Jan-20
My "Will" will state my kids, grandkids, and friends can pick thru my stuff and take what they want. After that, just have a garage sale and try to sell the "stuff" to sportsman. As long as it goes to guys like us, I am good.

That said, there is a part of me that wants my 270 (first gun I ever bought) and my "lucky" knife" to stay in the family. I still have my Dad's early 1900s lever action 30-30.

24-Jan-20
The importance of your stuff due to the memories attached to it will die with you. What you can leave behind are memories of what you did for, and with other people. Want a 6pt rack to important to someone else, be the one who took them hunting for that deer.

24-Jan-20
Instead of a will, I was kinda thinking about a pile of stuff and documents in the middle of a room and a cage match...... they can tag team to make it more entertaining, but doubt that would last to the end.... =D

24-Jan-20
To be honest, not really worried about who gets my stuff. I have been on many Whitetail bowhunts with my so (now in his 40s) & we've shared Caribou, Hog, Mule Deer & Antelope bowhunts too. I was there to help track his 1st Deer & his 1st Buck. I have been with my adult daughter (part time BH) & G-sons when they took their 1st shot at a biggame animal. I've shared "so" much with my kids & G-kids as they have grown up that the "stuff" really doesn't matter. I gift different things as they grow & do things "they" enjoy along the way. Waterparks, special event "they" are interested in, attending events they are in, Just sharing a day with each. Example-one of the Christmas gifts for 6 G-kids was a movie of their choice & eat out of their choice & we take without parents. Just a fun day "for them". Last year I took 6 G-kids (me alone) ages 5, two 6, one 7, one 9, one 10 on Holloween, all dressed up to a Zoo 50 miles away for a big Zoo, Holloween event. Then we all went to steak n shake for burgers, fries & shakes They loved it.. These are the things I'm guessing my family will cherish most..

24-Jan-20
Randy if you have any old guns you need to get rid of, I'll be glad to haul them away ;)

24-Jan-20
my son gets all my stuff, not that there's much... I'm not an "accumulator" at least anymore. I sure don't keep many arrows on-hand...

24-Jan-20

Heat's embedded Photo
Heat's embedded Photo
I have a few guns that the old man gave me before he died. The item with the most sentimental value he left me is his Black Widow recurve.

24-Jan-20
I am with JTreeman. I am 47 and have no kids of my own, just nieces and nephews that I love to death. There is no reason for me to pay to mount something that I killed, rather I just do my own euro mount or at most send a bear hide of to the tannery to hang from a hook. None of it means anything to any of them...but as I have been cleaning out my house lately it's been fun to look at each and every set of antlers, horns or hide to relive each of those hunts.

When I die I guess they get it all and that is why I have been getting rid of so much crap lately...Not that I plan to die soon, but that I don't want to saddle them with that responsibility.

24-Jan-20
At our village dump is a place where you can leave stuff that you don’t use anymore but it is still useable. Our church has a huge yard sale every summer. Everything is free.

24-Jan-20
Hunter Thompson was drug addict LSD freak. Yes, he went hard. Stating the obvious. . . .

Life itself is terminal.

You can have my Jungle Boots and my M24 Joe. It ain'thow died but rather how you lived. Hunter smoked weed, ate LSD and ran for his life from the Cuban Commies. So, I guess his cloud of dust and 45 to the chest was a grad bit of Bravado.

K~

24-Jan-20
Like others have said I'm trying to get rid of stuff not accumulate more stuff.

One of my daughters has said she might want my sheep mount because she was with me on that hunt. The rest will likely end up in a garage sale or at some point I might sell what I can to save them the trouble.

I sold most of my mineral collection including some pretty nice native gold specimens last summer because I figured my daughters wouldn't know how to sell it and I could get the most money for it.

24-Jan-20
No kids so I started giving away guns to nephews, nieces, their kids and a couple kids of good friends that hunt. I have also given away extra packs, cloths, boots .... Giving away gear has work but it seems like the gun cabinet is as full as ever, 1 leaves 2 show up!

24-Jan-20
Guess I’ll let my boy rummage thru the junk piled up on the boat before sending the flaming arrows.

Only one pass thru and no more than he can haul off in one load.

Knowing him, he’d take my favorite homemade bow out of my cold dead hands... Guess I’d finally let him at that point. That bow has certainly been a sweetheart.

Need to write this stuff down!

24-Jan-20
Tavis, that bow is like “The Sword in the Stone”

The power goes with The Bow and it should live on to further it’s legend with a worthy Individual.

I’ll pm you my address and you should do it while you’re still of sound mind and body. Though I’ve heard you might be a bit crazy already.

24-Jan-20
Good grief, Shawn Magyar, I didn't say I've modeled my life after Hunter S. Thompson. I just like that quote, because it represents how I feel about life. You will never find me in a nursing home complaining about things I should have done or experienced when I was younger. One of my nieces and her friend started calling me "Funcle Matt" a few years ago and the nickname stuck. Now, almost everyone in my circle of family and close friends calls me that. I'm going to have it engraved on my tombstone, because I can't think of a better way to be remembered.

Matt

24-Jan-20
Lots of warriors know that name.

The cross or alter wont help im afraid.

Plenty to gnaw at a man who lived by the rifle and sidearm besides a hippie on a drug induced high of a commie sympathizer.

Some things you just cant make up for i reckon. So, i just keep stuffing .45s thru the Dillon and out the pipe down range. It is what it is.

Lots of Good men still upright is enough to know, at least , most the time it got dun right.

Give it away, give it away give it away now.

K~

Del Gue had it about right

24-Jan-20
Got an early start on the booze today, I see. If you agree to ignore my posts, I'll do the same. Fair enough?

Sorry guys. This guy has had a hard-on for me ever since I exposed his true identity on the CF, and it's getting really old. I'll do my best to ignore him.

Please carry on with a great thread.

Matt

24-Jan-20
No children. Robin gets it all, what's left after her, 50% goes to my undergrad Alma mater to fund low income students, the other fifty as she sees fit. Like others near my age, already started to part with the stuff I no longer use or want.

24-Jan-20
Frank. I can put myself up for adoption if you need someone to leave all your awesome hunting land to.... :-) P.S. Go Mahomes !!

24-Jan-20
selfless service is bigger the you or me Teter.

easy to remember, sometimes hard to forget.

Find a kid on the trail and gift him a Randall.

Gift bows I make all the time. Mever sold one. Passing it on is worth more than a picket full of funny money.

You may have a substance issue. Never heard a bow hunter qoute a LSD addict on BS.

K~

24-Jan-20
I have been thinking about what happens after I die for a while now. As many here have said the stuff we acquire is not as valuable to anyone else as it is to us. I have a wish.I wish to be remembered by family and friends long after I am gone. You can't buy that. I had an ego booster last week. A young man, 30 something ,walk up to me when I was shopping. He introduced himself and asked me if I was his hunter safety instructor. We determined that I indeed signed his card. He went on to tell me about his recent hunting experiences. He shot a nice buck last fall. He wasn't bragging . He said it was special as He was hunting with his dad. I guess there are greater trophies than what you see on a man's (or woman's) wall.

24-Jan-20
I can only imagine what my family is going to think at the garage sale they have after my death..... When they come across the butt out tool...........

24-Jan-20
Cecil, if you saw the guns... there's tape and, maybe, even a gum wrapper or two involved in the "functionality" of these rigs. lol

24-Jan-20
Never met a ranger/delta/SEAL that pats himself on the back quite like *~KK~*

25-Jan-20
You mean a CAG O or ODA guy.

Thats to bad I have. Lots. Some that are here some that aint.

New two Ranger buds who ended up Runnging SqD 1 other ran SqD 2.

Not sure either hunted come to think of it??

K

25-Jan-20
Told my lovely bride ''Babe if I die I want you to sell all my stuff" She replied " Why is that honey?" I said "I can't bear the thought of some other a..hole here using all of my stuff." Always the witty one she replied "What makes you think I'd marry another a..hole?" ;)

25-Jan-20
Currently in the process of setting up a will that is up-to-date. Wife of 45 years does not want to consider the future but certainly am not getting any younger! The son doesn't hunt but the daughter is deeply into it. The spouse will get to deal with the guns and the taxidermy and the property as she wishes while the executor deals with the codicils. I'll just have to worry how to book another hunt from wherever I am.

25-Jan-20
Thinking about having stun guns handed out at my funeral....last person standing gets all of my stuff.

Only problem is I won't get to see it happen.

25-Jan-20
I work for a cemetery.."he ain't getting up" and "hurry up, you're cutting into my lunch" are two favorites

When I go my family can have my debt, my i.o u's, my catch you next time..all of it!!!!..

25-Jan-20
Basil... LOL!

25-Jan-20
I am taking some with me! It's In my will that I will be buried in my latest camo with my latest bow and a full quiver of arrows,Never know what the future will hold!!!!!

25-Jan-20
Notme - "I work for a cemetery.."he ain't getting up""

Heard recently, the reason for a "Wake", to make sure the dead don't wake back in the olden days... Is that true?

26-Jan-20
we should come up with a hunter's giveaway site that we can send gear and clothes that we no longer need/use to hunters who are starting out, or are low on dough.

26-Jan-20
Zbone, yup that's what the "parlor" was for in them old houses..they used to put a bell attached to a string inside the box at the cemetery and somebody would sit all night watching and listening for it to go off , in case the dead actually wasn't...lots of cases of people being disenturned with scratch marks inside...

Now its a big money making scheme between the corporate funeral homes and what ever religion you belong to that dictates the cemetery cost

26-Jan-20
Yeah heard about the bell too, and why they call the third shift the graveyard shift...8^)

26-Jan-20
Who gives a sh#t ,,im dead. No one will ever care about that 50 yard belly crawl to a 40 yard shot thru the Bush,,,, no one will ever care like YOU DO...POOF... enjoy the memories.

26-Jan-20
When I was a teen we dug graves for all the ones who died in the winter. My cousin and I dug one right beside an old grave. We got down 6 feet but had to widen it because now they use tombs. The whole side of that rotted casket gave way and out came what was left of a female corpse. We bailed out of that hole a hundred miles an hour. The sexton picked up the pieces, shoved them in the hole and packed dirt around it. I will never forget her shoes. They were black leather with buttons up the side. I am the sexton of our village cemetery. All cremations now. A hole 18 by 18 inches, 24 inches deep. No concrete tomb required.

27-Jan-20
This thread gave me great room for thought. First off I honestly don't think I will mount anything again, and I need to write down the story behind all my mounts. Great food for thought!

27-Jan-20
I've kept the mag articles I was fortunate to have published on some of my harvests/mounts so I do have a story for some of them already saved but that is a great idea to do on some of the other harvests /mounts.

My niece has a staging business and uses a couple of my mounts on occasion now and she gets all of them once I'm 6ft under...…

On most all of my other stuff--------> I have individual pages in my Trust allocating specific items to certain loved ones.

Good luck, Robb

27-Jan-20
Randy, tape and gum wrappers are how I gunsmith, you know that well...."hey Randy, you got an arra with a field point on it so I can poke out the empty and reload my bear-protection shotgun?" lmao

27-Jan-20
My wife wants me to get rid of all my stuff before I die so she won't have to deal with it. Actually she just wants to get rid of ME! Then all my stuff will be gone anyway... :)

27-Jan-20
I have to keep some of my 'Stuff' other than just memories because memories are not all I'll have, once I lose my memory. I will need reminders. My initials are 'CRS', and that seems to be the case according to my wife... ;) She wants me to get rid of my stuff. If I do that, eventually I'll have nothing, not even memories. If I keep it, at least I'll be able to say, 'Where did those big bucks and elk come from???' :^)

27-Jan-20

27-Jan-20
The true inheritance that we leave, are the memories that we have created with/for others and they have those memories after we are gone. I have a buddy that has two boys that are more like nephews. I have had a piece of property that I have been able to rabbit hunt for 41 years, unfortunately that is coming to an end since the family that owns is selling it to Real Estate Developers, but it has been expected. That piece of land has created so many memories, for so many, that were able to go rabbit hunting with me. I was talking to the youngest of the 2 who is now 38 last night. I remembered and so did he the day I shot a fox squirrel and showed him, his bother, and dad how to skin one starting at the tail, but that was not the memory. The Memory was when he turned the squirrel skin back with the fur on the outside, made a hand puppet out of it, and had it talking to his dad, brother, and me. He will always have that memory and many, many more from that farm. By me taking so many friends and family over the years, they will have the memories to enjoy of the hunting on that farm. The ones they missed, their first rabbit kill, my older brother who got to watch a rabbit walk on water, the impossible shots that were made, the "How did I miss that shot?" and the laughter. The things that really matter that we leave behind, is what we give and share in life with others. That is the inheritance we should all strive to leave behind. Stuff is just that, unless it triggers the memories for those who still remain. DANNY

27-Jan-20
I'll prob have a lot of photos to donate to PETA when I kick the bucket. As per my will, mail one of these every 10 days, and here is the $ allotted for postage...

27-Jan-20
APauls if I'm still around I'll cover postage

27-Jan-20
If my wife is selling my stuff for what I told her I paid for it, buy it all

31-Jan-20
Thinking about having stun guns handed out at my funeral....last person standing gets all of my stuff. Only problem is I won't get to see it happen

THIS IS GOLD!

09-Feb-20
... one comes naked into this world, burns the candle of life, and leaves naked into eternity ...

You all are hunters. How many wild birds or animals have you seen / found to accumulate worldly possessions? Humans carry a heavy burden on their shoulders, which is: knowing evil. Life is just a short passage so live it daily because there is no past or future, only the always fleeting :present moment. Let the others do what they will with the stuff you possessed after you are gone from this world.

09-Feb-20
I was thinking about this the other day. Between all my archery gear, hunting gear, fishing gear and tools, I’ve got treasures beyond belief. My wife and son couldn’t care less and no nothing of it’s value.

This is why I have decided to put in my will that my friends are to get drunk, have a cage match and winner gets it all.

• Sitka Gear