GF 25-Apr-20
t-roy 25-Apr-20
Bou'bound 26-Apr-20
Bentstick81 26-Apr-20
carcus 26-Apr-20
DanaC 27-Apr-20
APauls 27-Apr-20
15-Feb-20
Currently shoot Hoyts, Defiant, Pro, Spyder. All aluminum, 65 lbs. limbs. Turned 61 today so I get to purchase what I want.

I tell the age for a reason. When I did my cold weather hunt this year I had to really pull to get my bow back. Didn't happen in past years. So I am thinking about a cold weather bow with much lower draw weight. I know I have lost some strength and will continue to do so.

Always willing to try new stuff, and honestly the Bowtech Revolt with a 7.25" brace height and lower price than Hoyt seems right now to get the nod. I can shoot my Hoyts easy enough in weather above freezing and will continue to use them for most of the season.

This would get a little use late season. I shoot GT 340s but have a full dozen of 400s not yet cut, left over from when I used to build arrows for others. I am thinking of going down to 50 lbs. but am considering the 60 lbs. Wondering if 60 would make a huge difference in the cold with this bow or should I drop to the 50?

I really enjoy cold season hunts and have a month off during late season. Your thoughts please. Going as cheap as possible, black, right hand, 28.5" draw length.

Thanks.

15-Feb-20
Will add that my current bow limb bolts are bottomed out and read 67 lbs. on a scale. I believe we get better performance when the limbs are maxed out? So, I would probably want to do the same here. Thanks.

15-Feb-20
Doesn’t help with the draw, but I love a carbon bow in the extreme cold. Pick up a carry over Hoyt RX 3 60 lber....Not gonna be “cheap” but certainly checks the “cold weather” boxes for me.

15-Feb-20
Do you strength train? You are right about losing strength as one ages. Lifting weights will not only stop this, but actually reverse the process and you, even in your 60’s can maintain or even add muscle.

Believe me it will make a huge difference to your bow hunting.

15-Feb-20
If your late season hunting is in Kansas, maybe a nice blind and a heater?

15-Feb-20
Frank, I watched a video on you tube showing all the 2020 flagship bows. The guy did reviews on the draw, the speed, the noise, etc.... I can’t remember which bows did what in comparison but, I do remember there were a few that he just keep raving about how smooth they were. Said they felt like they 10 lbs lighter in draw. Might want to check it out and see if you can find it.

15-Feb-20
I’d probably go with a 55 pounder - also get a smooth drawing bow like WV mentions. I went from a Mathews Z7 to an Elite Energy 35. I’m now shooting 5 pounds heavier and it feels 10 pounds lighter than the Mathews did! Do a search for smoothest bows and see what you come up with and go shoot a few.

Lee

15-Feb-20
Thanks guys. I do not lift weights anymore, but do 50 pushups 3 times a week during my walk. I don't quite go down all of the way due to a right elbow which is probably from shooting too much. I also think the heavier weight, shot 80 until my early 40s, is going to cause shoulder problems at some point.

I do have some good blinds, but have good clothing so my body was not cold this year. It just hurt the elbow and shoulder more than normal to pull it back.

Thanks Justin, I will see if I can find that.

Thanks all.

15-Feb-20
I dropped down to a 50# bow this year. I am 72 years old and my shoulder bothers me sometimes. I really like the lighter bow and it will shoot through any deer with a decent weight arrow.

15-Feb-20
Go on E-bay and find a good carbon bow that is adjustable from 55-65lb. I have five Hoyts with two of them being carbon. I always buy all my bows at the 55-65 pound range. I'd would recommend shooting 55lbs. You'll have no problem pulling that. Nothing against the other brands but when it's cold carbon bows are king IMO.

15-Feb-20
Hoyt any Hoyt.

15-Feb-20
At Scheels indoor range the Matthews was easier to draw at the same weight, even with the Bowtech set on 'Comfort'. The 7.25" BH of the Revolt should make it more accurate. Seemed to me they would both be fairly easy to tune.

Bowboy, I typically have a light set of gloves on so the Aluminum never bothered me. If I was walking a long way or hunting in mountains carbon would be an advantage.

Surprised the Bowtech had no grip. It was a little slippery in my hand. Main thing that I was unimpressed by.

15-Feb-20
H for W. Why not just hunt early and late season with a lighter weight bow? I hunt with a 40# recurve and a 40# compound when ol arthur creeps in on my hands. Just a thought.

15-Feb-20
I found a couple of times during a long sit in the winter hunts my muscles stiffen up a bit and it can be a struggle drawing back. Every hour or so I do a couple of practice draws to keep the muscles, blood and acids flowing. Hand warmers in your sleeves help too.

17-Feb-20
Why not go with a 40-50# compound bow it will kill anything in N.A. short of dangerous game.(g-bears, bison) I currently use a 45# recurve bow and get many pass thru kills. A Diamond Edge compound bow is light, inexpensive, wide range adjustable and shoots great.

17-Feb-20
fisherick,

I am thinking of going with a 50 pound compound. Not wanting to "pull the trigger", pun intended, too quickly on this. I did want to stay with the big 3 for ease of bow shop access and warranty. Thanks!

17-Feb-20
I went the same route as Lee. Picked up a slightly used Elite Energy 35. Set it at 55 and it's still zipping arrows right thru the whitetail. Late season can be a bugger with excess clothing too.

17-Feb-20
You currently have three Hoyts if I understood your original post correctly?

Take the one you use the least and get a set of 50# limbs for it.

27-Feb-20
Xman,

Good idea and I may still do that.

I ordered a Revolt yesterday with 50 lbs. limbs. Hopefully later this year I can provide an actual field report on it.

27-Feb-20
Killed my last two late season cold weather deer with a 50# Elite Impulse 34 and a 50# Elite Synergy. Both pass throughs and a joy to pull back and shoot. Wouldn't be afraid to hunt all year with them, but I have a 60# Synergy that I hunt with when it's warm.

27-Feb-20
5#s will make quite a difference. Last year before I had my shoulder replaced I had a good buck at 20 yards. I was in a ground blind and the windchill was about 10 below. I could not get my 67# bow back. After trying 3 times I had to stand in the blind and hold bow and push pull downward with my bow arm to get it back. By that time he was 40 yards and past my window for a shot. I went to my buds shop and we turned the bow down to 61#s. A couple days later in the blistering cold after sitting still for 3 hrs. I got my opportunity. I drew the bow much easier although still a bit of a struggle and killed that same buck. Now my shoulder has been replaced I can shoot 80#s again if I wanted too, I am sticking with 61-62#s, no need for more. Shawn

04-Mar-20
I went down a couple years ago to 50lbs, now have a PSE Inertia and Bowtech Realm-X and love them both, both rated 345ibo and both shoot a 28inch Axis 400 at 265-270fps which is more then my last 70lb bow ever did I think I shoot the Realm-x a little better cause it is a longer ata

you guys who say this bow or that bow has a smoother draw, what you sacrifice is speed, harsher draw the more speed, Everybody raved about the Elites smooth draw, but until they built a fast bow they were all 320IBO bows

05-Mar-20
I've been shooting a 60 pound bow for years for whitetails, always a 7" bh, bought a 60 lbs realm sr6 for a smokin deal, I haven't even shot it yet but man does it draw smooth and thats in performance! Hopefully the 6"bh won't cause a issue with clothing clearance

05-Mar-20
carcus,

That's what made me go in the end with the Revolt. 7.25" brace height should help keep thicker winter garments out of the way.

05-Mar-20
Same boat as you habitat. Shoulders have arthritis and looking for a good bow at lower poundage. Would rather have longer ata than the revolt but like the bh. Good luck

05-Mar-20
Thanks Tater. I like my Defiant in 34" ATA and 7" BH but I enjoy the shorter Defiant Pro when blind hunting and that's what helped make the decision for me. I am more apt to use a blind in late season. GL to you as well! Take care of those shoulders.

13-Mar-20

Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
Picked it up yesterday. Shot GT 340s thru it and really like the initial feel and performance. Will cut 400s for it and get down to business.

Decided to go fairly inexpensively, whisker biscuit, 3 pin site, cheap stabilizer.

13-Mar-20
Awesome good luck to ya

17-Mar-20
OK, started to put it through the paces. WOW, sweet shooting bow. The back wall is more solid than anything I have experienced and there is zero creep! Posting picture shortly of the first 15 yard three shot group.

17-Mar-20

17-Mar-20
There is ALWAYS a trade-off though. It is slow, only 248 fps with GT 400s that weigh 366.4 gr including the 100 grain point.

I am used to shooting the following Hoyts with 65 lbs. limbs, GT 340s that weigh 384 gr. including the 100 grain point and these speeds;

Spyder 34 287 fps KE=70.25

Defiant 34 283 fps KE=68.31

Defiant Pro 280 fps KE=66.87

Definitely going to have to gap my pins more. The Revolt's KE is only 50.05. That is a HUUUGGEE difference IMO. I never worried about target angle before as I had enough KE to get the job done, but I will be hesitant and picky about shot angles and distance. Glad I only purchased a three sight pin.

25-Apr-20

First shot at game, today, MO farm. I like it!

25-Apr-20

First shot at game with it. I like it. Today, MO farm.

25-Apr-20
Dude...

A #50 compound is practically a #100 recurve; just a hell of a lot faster, because you put a 300 grain arrow through a #100 recurve and you might want to retire that bow before it blows on you.

Stick with a strong, fixed-blade broadhead, #40 and 7-8 GPP and you will kill any deer you want to.

Zero need to overthink it; just go hunt.

25-Apr-20
Congrats on a nice bird, Frank!

26-Apr-20
Thank you Troy.

26-Apr-20
Great job

26-Apr-20
Congrats!!!

26-Apr-20
More than enough power for deer or bears, keep the heavier bows for the bigger creatures like elk and moose

27-Apr-20
Thank you guys.

Carcus, I think you are correct. As it relates to the broadhead thread, I was using thunderheads and got a complete pass thru. I am satisfied it can get the job done. Thanks.

27-Apr-20
Let's reverse the thought process here - if you were forced by circumstances to shoot a 50 pound bow, could you set it up to hunt effectively for the game you pursue? If 'yes', then... Yeah, 'more' energy and more fps and flatter trajectory is nice, but, if you can hit well with an adequate arrow/broadhead combo, do you really need more than is truly comfortable? Do you really need an elk-worthy bow to shoot whitetails?

27-Apr-20
Dana,

Good question. Will I use it for whitetails all season instead of just cold weather,?

Probably not. It is slower by enough that I think underestimating yardage might cause a non-lethal hit. I seldom shoot over 15 yards , but have so much confidence in my Hoyts they will be tough to give up. They sure bury the arrow deeper in my target.

I admit I am overly-analytical, can't help it! Thanks.

27-Apr-20
Congrats Frank! Glad you enjoyed the new bow.

• Sitka Gear