SlipShot 19-Feb-20
Brotsky 19-Feb-20
Paul@thefort 28-Feb-20
bowhunter24 01-Mar-20
BULELK1 02-Mar-20
16-Feb-20

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
I looked at the February Calendar last night and saw that Feb. 16, Sunday, was the last day of the Colorado Dark goose season. I had a great season hunting geese with the bow and I thought I would hang it up for the year and go ice fishing. Well I did go ice fishing (successful) for trout last Friday so now I am just setting at home getting more of CABIN FEVER.

One might believe that to get rid of a fever, one needs rest, chicken noodle soup and a couple of aspens.

NOT SO HERE! I AM GOING GOOSE HUNTING AGAIN this sunday morning so, damn the rest and the chicken soup!

16-Feb-20
Gettem' Paul!

16-Feb-20
Good choice. Forrest

16-Feb-20

So I thought I would hunt naked this morning. No, no, no, not that naked, I mean without the tent blind and just wearing the Gilly suit like I did while turkey hunting .

16-Feb-20

so I headed down near the pond blind area and set up 6 goose decoys in the snow. The geese like to fed around these trees and brush. Hunt where the geese want to go.
so I headed down near the pond blind area and set up 6 goose decoys in the snow. The geese like to fed around these trees and brush. Hunt where the geese want to go.
geese were flying over as usual but it was not until 7:45 this single goose landed to the right of the decoys. It started to walk away to 30 yards.
geese were flying over as usual but it was not until 7:45 this single goose landed to the right of the decoys. It started to walk away to 30 yards.
I had to shift over to my left, arrow on its way. WACK!
I had to shift over to my left, arrow on its way. WACK!
HIT
HIT

16-Feb-20

a good indication of a good hit
a good indication of a good hit
a better indicator
a better indicator
a half hour later, this flock landed on the frozen pond behind me. No chance for a shot. As I did not want them to decoy other geese I chased them away.
a half hour later, this flock landed on the frozen pond behind me. No chance for a shot. As I did not want them to decoy other geese I chased them away.
so there you go, hunting NAKED for geese with bow in hand But wait, the story is not over yet!
so there you go, hunting NAKED for geese with bow in hand But wait, the story is not over yet!

16-Feb-20

So at 9:30 I cross over the field to plant the goose for Chase to retrieve. On the way back and only 50 yards from the blind area, this single lands near the decoys.
So at 9:30 I cross over the field to plant the goose for Chase to retrieve. On the way back and only 50 yards from the blind area, this single lands near the decoys.
this goose is curious and walks towards me
this goose is curious and walks towards me
and to within 20 yards.--- shooting only with the camera.
and to within 20 yards.--- shooting only with the camera.
and then veers off and heads to the decoys
and then veers off and heads to the decoys

16-Feb-20

and walks past. I slowly get up and move to the trees where my bow is, the goose does not fly but continues to walk out to 32 yards. Bow in hand, shoot---MISS
and walks past. I slowly get up and move to the trees where my bow is, the goose does not fly but continues to walk out to 32 yards. Bow in hand, shoot---MISS
So now it is Chase's turn as he was in the truck. Planted blind retrieve, out and back with gusto.
So now it is Chase's turn as he was in the truck. Planted blind retrieve, out and back with gusto.
Oh, by the way, it was Chase's 11th birthday yesterday on Valentines Day. Yep, he is our sweetheart. Now! the end of the story and also the goose season. my best, Paul
Oh, by the way, it was Chase's 11th birthday yesterday on Valentines Day. Yep, he is our sweetheart. Now! the end of the story and also the goose season. my best, Paul

16-Feb-20
Great Season for you, Paul, Congrats!

Next Year: Naked, with the Stickbow??

16-Feb-20
The number of geese you manage to kill with a bow is truly impressive. You do better with the bow than most guys do with a gun. Always fun to follow your hunts.

16-Feb-20
Way to finish it out Paul!

Time to start thinking about those other big birds now.

—Jim

16-Feb-20
Congrats Paul! You and Chase a great season. No dog treat picture?

16-Feb-20
Craig, he got a double helping of dog food when we got home. Does that count as treats? Chase thought so as he gulped it down. paul

16-Feb-20
Yep, good for him. Just want to make sure he got something Chase looks malnourished:)

16-Feb-20
Good Boy Chase! You did OK too Paul I suppose. Seriously though these hunts are great, thanks for sharing! I truly look forward to seeing you two get after it again next season.

16-Feb-20
Paul you and Chase had a very good season, we'll be watching for the next season even tho it's aways down the road. Congrats. BTW how many Geese did you end the season with.

Kurt

16-Feb-20
At times like these, I wish we had a “thumbs up” emoji ! Great ending to a great season Paul !

16-Feb-20
Man, you make this look easy.... LOL Do you think hunting them with a bow keeps them in the area... or do you just have a great spot and they show up there no matter what???? No shotgun blasts going off, therefore they feel safe there... You definitely have them figured out... Thanks for posting your hunts, I follow them all..

16-Feb-20
Atta boy!

16-Feb-20
Kurt, we ended up with 17 geese this season; the best season so far during 9 years of hunting them in this pasture.

Fields, yea a good spot with pond, and with a big adjacent 60 acre,field that is undeveloped. And no gunning is allowed in the area because of the proximity to houses. I have seen wt deer, mule deer, fox, bobcat, coyote, birds of prey on this property. The big lake across the State hwy, holds and raises geese so they feel comfortable in the area for sure. These are not the migratory geese from the far north, but local geese, ie, the name , Yard Hoppers.

17-Feb-20
Great season Paul! Thanks again for taking us all along on your hunts, it's been a pleasure. Your story telling and pictures are top notch. Happy belated birthday to your buddy Chase!

17-Feb-20
Congrats on a great season. Thanks for sharing!

17-Feb-20
Great job! You 2 know how to get it done!!

17-Feb-20
Nice....those ghillie suits are pretty effective. Congrats on a great season!

17-Feb-20

I just did the math. Seventeen hunts this season== 17 dead geese. Thanks all for following along over the years as it has been a joy to bring the hunts to you, as it is a unique hunt for sure.

I doubt that there is another area that I could find to have similar results. This area just has the right ingredients for success with the bow in hand.

Turkey season in Nebraska is coming up shorty. I am sure there will be another story to share. my best, Paul

17-Feb-20
It's been a joy to read Paul! Continued best wishes.

17-Feb-20
Thanks again for sharing all of these adventures, it is great reading! Congrats on another successful season!

17-Feb-20
Paul, I like the honest way that you tell a story and the way you include Chase. Congrats, I will be waiting to tune in next year........Bob

17-Feb-20
Great ending, happy birthday Chase. Forrest

17-Feb-20
Well done again Paul! I enjoy following along on all your trips.

17-Feb-20
Badbull, Chase is truly the star of the show. :) and including him is a no brainer. Dogs just add something special to our lives and ask nothing in return. OH wait, TREATS! my best, Paul

17-Feb-20
Congrats on a great season Paul!

17-Feb-20
Interesting way to hunt geese, for sure!

18-Feb-20
Beav, I remember 10 years ago, you and your son bow shot a few geese over a pond. Good times with father and son. Paul

18-Feb-20
Paul you are also do a good thing (besides entertaining us) with getting rid of some of the resident geese. With little predation they get to where they think they own the yard, road and do nasty business everywhere. I think you should get some kind of reward for your hard work (not just Chase). Send me your address and I will send you a bag of Dot's!

18-Feb-20

Yep, here they come again
Yep, here they come again
John, as much as I would like to think I am putting a DENT in the local goose population, I realize I am not even scratching the surface. When I am hiking along the local canals in early summer, I see more Yard hoppers and the mating pairs have anywhere from 4 to 10 goslings. Yep, hardly a dent. Sometimes after hunting this property for a few years and I do not kill one for the first few time trying the next season, like this season, I start to think the have me all figured out. But then, the next hunt and the next, here they come again, and I kill 17 like this year. Yep, not even a dent. Paul

18-Feb-20
Congrats on yet another great goose season, Paul. And tell Chase “Happy Birthday”!!!

19-Feb-20
Paul, Thanks for posting these hunts every year. Always enjoy your story telling and pictures. One of the best threads on Bowsite every year. Between your elk and goose hunts, seems like you had a great season.

19-Feb-20
Paul, Thanks for sharing you hunts! I really enjoy reading them and can't wait for the next year.

19-Feb-20
Well done Paul! This thread is always one of my favorites. Tell the good boy happy birthday from all of us!

28-Feb-20

20 inch trout. two other smaller ones in the bag.
20 inch trout. two other smaller ones in the bag.
I told you guys that I was going ice fishing. Today's catch. Chase the wonder dog can do more that just retrieve duck and geese. He loves ice fishing. my best, Paul

01-Mar-20
Did you catch that trout on a cheese covered dot?

02-Mar-20
Ya had a great time Paul and thanks for taking us along man.

Good luck, Robb

• Sitka Gear