onX Maps
Great boot thread, but what about socks?
Equipment
Contributors to this thread:
RD in WI 01-Apr-20
Brotsky 01-Apr-20
wyobullshooter 01-Apr-20
Scrappy 01-Apr-20
brettpsu 01-Apr-20
LINK 01-Apr-20
Ermine 01-Apr-20
Ucsdryder 01-Apr-20
EJG 01-Apr-20
Bake 01-Apr-20
Jaquomo 01-Apr-20
Two Feathers 01-Apr-20
Spiral Horn 01-Apr-20
JL 01-Apr-20
Predeter 01-Apr-20
PECO 01-Apr-20
PECO 01-Apr-20
stagetek 01-Apr-20
Teeton 02-Apr-20
Trial153 02-Apr-20
OFFHNTN 02-Apr-20
Kurt 02-Apr-20
RD in WI 02-Apr-20
cnelk 02-Apr-20
DanaC 02-Apr-20
Kannuck 02-Apr-20
Fuzzy 02-Apr-20
willliamtell 07-Apr-20
Matt 07-Apr-20
Stekewood 07-Apr-20
01-Apr-20
Just read the outstanding thread regarding various boots. What about socks? I have been wearing some Army socks I got though the RFI program, but they are about shot. Any suggestions? Thanks.

01-Apr-20
I'm a big fan of Darn Tough.

01-Apr-20
Either Smartwool or Darn Tough for me, with Darn Tough being my preference.

01-Apr-20
Darn tough for me as welll

01-Apr-20
Another Darn Tough fan here.

01-Apr-20
I have smart wool and several pairs of peoples. Both are fine but for 90% of my hunting I wear the same starter brand from Walmart that I wear everyday. The thicker wool socks are just too thick for active fall hunts. I have a pair of smart wool liners that are fine but lack elasticity that cheap socks have.

01-Apr-20
Darn tough just because of the lifetime warranty

01-Apr-20
Gore used to make some awesome hiking socks. Can’t find them anymore. At some point soon I’ll have to look for hiking socks.

01-Apr-20
I’ve used quite a few brands, smart wool, darn tough, six point6, Gore, and first lite.

I’ve been happy with all except Gore- the gore weren’t durable enough for me. The First Lite Mercury have been my favorite so far but only had them about year and a half.

01-Apr-20
Smart Wool and Darn Tough. Merino wool. I wear them almost every day.

I'm a HUGE merino fan. I wear a merino wool t-shirt as my undershirt every day.

01-Apr-20
OmniWool 70-30 merinos from Costco. Great socks, great price, wear like iron.

01-Apr-20
For socks I get heavy duty alpaca. Made for Wisconsin.

01-Apr-20
Bridgedale are my #1 go-to, followed by Smartwool

01-Apr-20

JL's Link
For cold weather sitting...I got hooked up with Wigwams out of Sheboygan, WI. They make hunting socks and cold weather socks. They seem to hold up good and help keep my toes relatively warm inside the Baffin boots.

01-Apr-20
The Gores were my favorites but I'm down to one pair. Have some First Lites that are ok and several pairs of Darn Tough that I like. Had some Alpacas that were great but fell apart way too fast. Just ordered some Farm to Feet to try.

01-Apr-20
I have been on a sock quest for years. I destroy smartwool, REI wool, walmart wool, and some others. I finally broke down and found some deals on Darn Tough. They fit great but I have not put miles on them yet.

01-Apr-20

01-Apr-20
I bought a bunch of Gore socks when places were selling them, in what must of been a clearance sale. I haven't seen or heard of them since. I really like the socks. Glad I bought plenty.

02-Apr-20
For local hunting around home, I also use the OmniWool. For hard hunting like on steep hills I use smart wool or lorpen. Lorpen also has a life time warranty..

For me with Darn tough are to slippery.. I can feel my feet slipping around in my boots. I know other here on Bowsite have said the same thing about slipping. Ed

02-Apr-20
Farm to feet

02-Apr-20
Darn Tough and First Lite.

02-Apr-20
e The COSTCO Merino wool trail socks in the 4-packs are very good to my feet...about $4 per pair Canadian. They last very well, and are comfortable. I like to double them up in Muck boots and for backpacking in the Meindls. They are thin enough to allow that. And we wash them hot and run them thru the dryer too. Restores the size....just stretch them a bit with your hands before putting them on.

02-Apr-20
Thank you, Gentlemen. I had never heard of Darn Tough before but they seem to have a satisfied following. Thanks again.

02-Apr-20
People Socks - Premium Merino wool socks - Wear them daily

02-Apr-20
Smart Wool, or Wigwam 'Canada'

02-Apr-20
Another vote for Darn Tough as an everyday awesome sock. I have many pair of these in different weights and colours.

But nothing is warmer than a heavyweight alpaca sock. I have a few pair of these and only use them on the coldest sits.

02-Apr-20
I ran out of socks a week after I ran out of toilet paper

07-Apr-20
The good thing about quality socks is once you have 10 pairs or so, you only have to buy new ones every once in a while. I like smartwool - they don't get holey or threadbare, stay up fine. and provide good padding.

07-Apr-20
Another Darn Tough fan. I went from Thorlo to Smart Wool and am not looking back.

07-Apr-20
Whether at work, in the mountains or in a tree stand, it’s Darn Toughs for me every day.

• Sitka Gear