Inshart 13-Aug-20
jingalls 13-Aug-20
LINK 13-Aug-20
Jaybee 13-Aug-20
skookumjt 13-Aug-20
air leak 13-Aug-20
Bake 13-Aug-20
12-Aug-20
Anyone that has bowhunted for a reasonable length of time has probably had a situation where you have had a shot opportunity at the animal that you want....only to have a horizontal limb covering the vitals. Some wait for the animal to clear the obstruction....others will shoot....knowing that the arrow will "arc" over the limb, and land in the vitals. Just as an experiment, I am thinking about trying to quantify the amount of "arc" that my bow might have at various distances. So....I was thinking about using my 40 yard pin at 20 yards, and my 60 yard pin at 30 yards. Assuming that the peak of my arc will be at the mid point, if my 20 yard shots are 6" high with my 40 yard pin, is it a valid assumption to assume that is the arc of my arrow when using a 40 yard pin?

12-Aug-20
I would think, if you wanted to measure the arc, you could stand 40 y from your target. Aim at a spot with your 40 y pin, holding steady, see where your 20 y pin is aiming. Measure between the 40 y dot and the 20 y spot. That would be your half distance arc. Repeat for any distance.

12-Aug-20
great thread and something i practice daily. the further you are, the more arc obviously. i practice with the obstructions at different distances too. obstructions being pinon and juniper limbs and twigs.

12-Aug-20
I would think a ballistics calculator could plot this all out for you if you enter your data in.

But I have always done what Buckfever states above.

12-Aug-20
How would all of the calculating be done with a single pin sight where the reference point is variable, rather than stationary?

12-Aug-20
Randy Ulmer did a tip on this in the past. If animal is at 40 yards and branch at 20, aim at animal and then check where your 20 yard pin is. If it is on or near that branch dont shoot. If its above it, go ahead and shoot

12-Aug-20
Bob nailed it.

13-Aug-20
I like it!! Thanks guys....

13-Aug-20
I'm in the minority here, and not trying to stir the pot..But, why not wait for a better shot?

13-Aug-20
whats a pin ?

13-Aug-20
What Bob said ^^^^

Matt

13-Aug-20
Ding, Ding, Ding, Bob wins.

13-Aug-20
Bob has it right. Forget all the fancy calculations. Range the object that is the obstruction and if that corresponding pin is on or below it, don’t shoot.

13-Aug-20
“What’s a pin?” Something compound users use to help them put chit in their trophy room. A trophy room is equivalent to a traditional archers bow room. Both places are used to store the things they like to look at, one wood and the other mounts. ;)

13-Aug-20
I do not think the the peak of the arc will be at half the distance. As your arrow slows down at greater distance it is affected more by gravity. It is not a linear equation .

13-Aug-20
Air leak- because if you have practiced and know the outcome you don't have to wait. All of us have had situations where the better shot never came.

13-Aug-20
And how do you know the outcome?? No thanks, I'll wait.

13-Aug-20
This is something to practice too. I once took a shot at a pig over a dirt berm. Knowing that my arrow would arc over the berm. It messed with my head. I ended up shooting the pig in the skin above the spine. I just couldn't mentally aim AT the berm.

• Sitka Gear