BC 20-Sep-20
mrelite 20-Sep-20
altitude sick 20-Sep-20
Buffalo1 20-Sep-20
Inshart 20-Sep-20
06-Sep-20

Wv hillbilly 's embedded Photo
Loading up now. Will be in elk county in 22 hours. Three of us this year. My father n law and cousin. I’ll try to do a recap on the way back in two weeks. Anyone hearing any bugles yet? Good luck to everyone this year!

06-Sep-20
Just returned from an early scouting/hunting trip in Colorado. Bulls were bugling good in the mornings. Especially considering the full moon. Headed back in 10 days. Very blessed as well! Good luck!

06-Sep-20
Super hot and dry. Been hearing a few bugles early in the am until about 7:30. I’m sitting on a waterhole as I type this. More of a mud hole. Two medium size bulls were already in it when I walked up earlier. Big cold front coming to CO tomorrow night. Should change things up. Best of luck to you!

06-Sep-20
Good Luck Guys!!!!

06-Sep-20
Hot and dry!!! I wish you all the best of luck, and safe travels!!!

06-Sep-20
Thanks fellas. We just crossed into Kansas. Heading to Colorado. Maybe the cold front will get them talking a lot more.

06-Sep-20
Stay warm and safe, this front ain't no joke.

07-Sep-20
Thanks Jordan! I plan on reading your story of your first elk when we get off the mountain. You guys weren’t joking about the smoke from the fires. Seems like it’s everywhere. We’ve seen a few bull heads in the back of trucks already. Heading on the mountain at daylight tomorrow morning. Hopefully get settled in camp before the snow hits. Good luck everyone!

07-Sep-20
Good luck!

07-Sep-20
Have a great time and good luck. My chances of going there again are gettin slim, new knee this year pretty much ruled it out. Hope no fires give you trouble.

07-Sep-20
Good luck!

Gonna be some elk hitting the ground this week for sure with the weather helping!

Just wish I could take off a few days but not in the cards... Picked up another job today that will have me buried. Will try to get at least a little bit of time in the evenings...

07-Sep-20
Tomorrow morning will likely be better to wake up late, have a good breakfast and relax till this blows thru. Will be good in the evening though!

07-Sep-20
Just got a call from the wife. A tornado just went through at our house. Leveled half the trees in our yard. At least no damage to the house and everyone is ok. It’ll give me something to do when I get home.

07-Sep-20
We’re down near Alamosa. It’ll all work out I hope. I was definitely surprised with all the smoke so far away from the fires.

07-Sep-20
Enjoy your time in the mountains. It’s a special place and a special time. Wish I was there now.

07-Sep-20
Good luck Dave! I went out (NE Oregon) last week and the elk were not talking much yet. Think with the weather coming in and the moon going dark will help. Can’t wait to hear how it went. Rob M

08-Sep-20

Here’s a boot pic. They’ll be soaked by dark!
Here’s a boot pic. They’ll be soaked by dark!
Been up since 230. Couldn’t sleep. Waiting to leave now. Looks like a pretty good south wind maybe a little east thrown in also. Good luck everyone!

08-Sep-20
Good luck.

08-Sep-20
Best of luck!

08-Sep-20
Bummer about the tornado, Wv! Thankfully, it was only some tree damage. Good luck and stay safe, both on your hunt, and on the trip back home!

08-Sep-20
Good luck my friend. Shoot straight.

18-Sep-20

Tuesday before the snow.
Tuesday before the snow.
Well here goes. Ignore the spelling and grammar. Jason my cousin just took over driving for a while. We’re almost to Kansas on the way back home.

I’ll try to add some pics as I go. We packed into camp on Tuesday. Got there and unpacked by 2 pm. The wind was ripping pretty good. We knew the storm was gonna hit soon so we made runs to the creek to get water to filter. Ended up with 12 gallons worth. There was a older fella at camp when we got there. He packed to a different location. He told us it sounded like a circus that morning with all the bugles.

About 4 the rain and sleet started. We had a propane stove for heat and cooking. It worked out pretty well. Right at dark we heard the first bugles. One was on the ridge near camp. He bugled probably a dozen times before we went to bed. By 5 the snow had started coming down pretty good. We had to get up every hour to knock it off the wall tent. At one point we slept for a hour and a half. That was way to long the ceiling was really close to caving in on us. It was all Jason and I could do to get it cleared off that time. Around 1 that night we had to go outside and shovel the snow off around the walls it was caving in the sides of the tent.

18-Sep-20

Tuesday night shoveling snow off the walls of the tent
Tuesday night shoveling snow off the walls of the tent

18-Sep-20

Wednesday morning
Wednesday morning

18-Sep-20
LOL... Just a light coating....

18-Sep-20
Wow! That's a lot of early season snow, I really like your truck set-up too. Please keep the pics coming.

18-Sep-20
Mick my father n law was feeling pretty bad from altitude by Wednesday morning. It was all he could do to get off the cot to stand up. We were pretty worried about him and kept getting more water for him to drink. The medicine his dr gave him for it wasn’t helping.

Right after daylight Jason and I were outside shoveling snow and spotted two guys walking our way. They made it to camp and asked if they could leave their gear there. We had a extra walk tent we weren’t using so we told them we didn’t mind. We told them they were welcome to hang out until it cleared up some. They declined and said they were gonna try to make it off the mountain. They took one bottle of water and took off. 1030 that night they sent a message to my Garmin and let us know they made it to the trail head.

Before they got out of sight two more guys showed up. A father and son from Texas. They had spent the night in a two man tent fighting to keep it from caving in on them. During the night their one man tent collapsed on their gear. They asked if they could shelter in our tent until the outfitter came back up and we’re gonna get a ride down with him. We didn’t mind so we rearranged some things and set up two more cots. They were good company and we made the best of a bad situation.

It snowed off and on all day Wednesday. Probably added another 6-7” of snow. We ended up with around 30” or so by the end of the storm.

Mick was still feeling rough and we couldn’t do anything for him except keep the water to him and try to get him to eat. I didn’t see much sense in going out that day with all the snow. No bugles heard. We had brown beans that night and Jason put on quiet a show once we hit the hay. The Texas boys said they were very impressed.

18-Sep-20

Thursday. No bugles. No improvement in the snow. It started warming up a bit so I was hopeful we’d start loosing the snow soon. The outfitter showed up around 2 as I was getting ready to try to get out and about. I was surprised he made it up there. Said it took forever to cut the trail open. He didn’t bring any horses for anyone to ride off on but said he would be back Friday to get Mick and the Texas boys. Dropped off two more propane tanks and went on his way. I couldn’t stand it any longer and headed out to see what I could find. Waist deep snow makes for slow traveling. I made it about 3/4 mile before dark and cut one set of tracks heading off the mountain. Made it back at dark had dinner and hit the sack.

18-Sep-20

On the way back I noticed tracks coming up to mine about 100 yard from camp. A bear had hit my trail and followed it towards camp for 20 yards or so then jumped off and headed away.

18-Sep-20

Everyone leaving Friday
Everyone leaving Friday
Friday morning. Up early and out. Headed the same direction from the day before. Made it about a half mile farther than the night before. No bugles or tracks. Came back to camp by noon. Wanted to help get mick packed up and off the mountain. Hated to see him feeling so bad and miserable. About 1030 the Texas boys were at the creek getting water. Jason saw a bull walking towards camp. He got Mick outside and they watched it walk by camp around 120 yards away through the field. Jason burnt his points this year and drew a muzzle loader tag so it was a day early for him to do anything about it.

Outfitter showed up around 1 and loaded everything and one up and headed back to the trail head. The Texas boys gave Mick a ride to a hotel for the night and even took him to the airport the next day to catch a flight back home. He started feeling better once he got to the trail head. Dropped around 3000 feet. Pretty disappointed he got sick. He’s one of the toughest men I know and a hell of a lot of fun to be around and hunt with. Can’t thank them Texas fellas enough for taking care of him off the mountain.

18-Sep-20

After everyone left Jason and I hit the creek and caught some trout for dinner. Fried onions and taters with fresh trout. Don’t get much better. Maybe elk loin.

Bout my turn to drive again. I’ll keep going as soon as I get a chance. There is some action coming up. I’ll get there. Saturday we loose some snow.

18-Sep-20

Can’t see the creek for the snow.
Can’t see the creek for the snow.

18-Sep-20

Ugly mug tromping through the snow
Ugly mug tromping through the snow

18-Sep-20
Been there. Can't control the weather. Hope Mick is OK.

18-Sep-20

Saturday lunchtime boot pic
Saturday lunchtime boot pic
Yep can’t control the weather. Just gotta deal with what your given. Mick is doing fine. We called him earlier and talked for a while. Saturday up and out early. As Jason put it the snow was so loud you couldn’t sneak up on a glass of water. Thought I heard a bugle way off at daylight couldn’t tell what direction. Took it pretty slow in the morning trying to be a quiet as possible. Cut one set of tracks heading off the mountain. Pretty uneventful until 45 minutes before dark. I was near the edge of a clearing and bugled. Got almost a immediate response from across the clearing probably 60-70 yards inside the woods. I hit him right back and started raking a tree. Then I moved up behind some small trees at the edge of the field. About 5 minutes later he responded but was farther to my right. I gave him a couple cow calls and felt the wind switch to blowing right at him. Funny how it’s good one minute and bad the next. I waited there until dark and didn’t see or hear anymore from him. Good day I was all smiles on the walk back to camp. First response of the year. No action for Jason that day.

18-Sep-20

Sunday. Headed straight out the ridge behind camp. Cut several tracks. All going off the mountain. Came off the ridge around a lake and up the other side to the edge of a very steep drop off. Worked my way east. Found several tracks all heading off the mountain. I found a very fresh rub but no response to calls. As I was dropping off the edge and heading towards a clearing below me a spruce grouse flew up in a tree then two more. I slowly worked around to get a shooting lane on the closest one. I had one arrow with me for them and sent it as soon I got the chance. Knocked feathers off its back and It glided away. It’s buddies we’re still there so I worked around and got another one in a open lane. I knew I’d never see the arrow again but sent it anyway. 10 ring that time. I don’t think it even blinked as if fell out of the tree. I cleaned it there and put it in a ziplock bag I had in my pack.

Few more elk tracks but no real action the rest of the day. Real good dinner that night. Grouse and fried taters and onions. Chased down with a few brews.

18-Sep-20

New rub. Limbs on top of the snow and hair still stuck to it
New rub. Limbs on top of the snow and hair still stuck to it

18-Sep-20

Looking of the edge in the valley below it was loaded with tracks. I couldn’t make out what they were but it was full of them
Looking of the edge in the valley below it was loaded with tracks. I couldn’t make out what they were but it was full of them

18-Sep-20

First yote after the shot
First yote after the shot
Monday. Should of took more arrows with me. I had two grouse arrows and four elk arrows. I wanted more of those tasty squabs. Daylight I heard a bugle near another camp so I just kept walking. About 10 a bugle from behind me stops me in my tracks. It didn’t sound quite right and my wind was blowing that direction. I set up anyway and cow called a bit. Half hour later another bugle. A lot closer this time. Wind still right at it. I decided it was another hunter and made tracks.

100 yards away I spot a grouse on the ground. It sat there as I loaded a arrow. I sent it and hit high. It flopped around and made its way to a patch of trees. I bet I walked 20 laps around those trees looking for it. If anyone was watching they had a good laugh. I did find my arrow. Hour later I ran into the guy that was calling earlier. He confirmed it was him. We bsed for a bit and he headed back towards his camp and I went on my way.

Half hour later I came to the edge of a large field and saw two coyotes mousing. There’s nothing I like better than hunting with my bow but killing coyotes with anything tops that. All thoughts of elk went out the window. I got a clump of trees between me and the closest one and put the sneak on. Somehow I made it to the edge of the trees and started trying to range the closet one. Range finder wouldn’t work in the snow very well. A large rock was the best I could do. 43 yards. Eventually he worked over near it. I guessed 55 yards and sent the arrow. Hit but far back. He yelped and started chasing his tail biting at his gut. I can’t help myself when the target is still standing. Sent another arrow over his back. He came closer. Another arrow on the way This time it skimmed down his side as he spun while the arrow was in flight. Now he runs to the rock I had ranged. I loaded a grouse arrow and sent it. Hit just under him. With that he ran off to my right and bedded in a clump of trees 80 yards away.

The whole time this fiasco was going on his buddy was hanging out watching. I loaded my last grouse arrow as he walked over to investigate. Only one elk arrow left. Couldn’t stand to part with it yet. He checked out the place his buddy was circling for a bit. Ended up at 35 yards and caught me drawing at took off.

18-Sep-20

Hit site.
Hit site.

18-Sep-20
Looking for more!

18-Sep-20
I walked out to look for arrows. Found the grouse arrow and two others. One of them was missing a fletching and had another about off. I took up the blood trail and kept jumping him up. After 200 yards or so I called it off and had lunch. Short nap later I was back after elk. Two good arrows left. Hit a ridge and called a few times along the way. I started getting into some fresh tracks. Must of been about 4 I jumped a elk out of its bed and could see it take off 100 yards or so away. I cow called a few times and it stopped. Eventually it took off but was my first sighting.

In the woods the snow was a lot deeper and very loud. I would take a step or two and stop to watch and listen. It would take me a hour to go 100 yards. Couple hundred yards later I slowly came around a large clump of pines and there it was! It would of shocked me less if it would of been Bigfoot playing a banjo. A big tan elk butt looking me right in the face at 25 yards. The other end had antlers. He wasn’t a raghorn but weren’t no 350 bull. I didn’t care cause he was legal. Now comes the problem. He was facing straight away. Maybe quartering to the right 10 degrees. At 25 yards I can shoot quarters all day. I’ve never killed anything with a ham blaster. That’s the only shot I had. What would you of done? I had a full three minute of standing there watching him before anything happened.

18-Sep-20
Getting better by the minute, David! Keep it coming!

18-Sep-20
Texas heart shot coming up ? Keep it coming

19-Sep-20
Enjoying following along. Fly fishing in a field of snow - great.

Making the best of what your given, well done.

19-Sep-20
Sorry fellas I just woke up. We drove straight through on the way back. Got to my place at 830am and I fell out. I’m gonna go check some trail cams and I’ll finish up this evening. Thanks for the patience.

19-Sep-20
Ok I’m gonna get this done. I couldn’t bring myself to take the shot in the tailpipe. I just told myself be patient a shot will present itself. Like I said after three minutes or more he swung his head to the right and I knew he was getting ready to turn. Plan was to draw when he started to turn and shoot as soon as a shot presented itself. Soon as he swung his head to the left he took off. I was at full draw instantly but he didn’t stop. I cow called and of course he stopped behind a bunch of trees. About three steps to his left was a four foot opening. Plan was when he took off again I would hit the release when he hit the opening. It worked out perfectly....

19-Sep-20
For the bull. Everything went as planned except he went behind a tree in the clearing instead of in front of it as I anticipated. The arrow sank in the tree instead of him. He went on his way and I laughed at myself. Still can’t figure out how I was able to walk up on him as loud as the snow was.

19-Sep-20

Souvenir I left on the mountain.
Souvenir I left on the mountain.

19-Sep-20

Cow and calf by the rock
Cow and calf by the rock
With most likely to only chance I’d have on the trip blown I started back towards camp. One good elk arrow left. I always try to stay positive when something goes wrong. Getting down and disgusted doesn’t help anything. I reflected on the experience and kept trying to tell myself I did the right thing not taking the ham blaster I wasn’t comfortable with. I still feel the same. I’d rather him live another day for someone else to hunt than die a terrible death ending with me not finding him.

Anyway I had about a hour and a half of light left and one arrow. Things were looking up. I slipped through the woods and snow as quite as possible heading to the field I had the response from a couple days before. I made it with about a half hour of light left. Wind was good so I was gonna call as soon as I took a leak. I set my bow down and was fasting my pack belt back when I saw movement to my left coming into the clearing.

I took one step to my bow and hit a knee. Loaded my last arrow and ranged it 119 yards. Cow and calf. They worked from my right to left across the opening. She took her time and stopped several times to eat giving perfect broadside shots. Problem was that’s way to far for me to comfortably shoot. I practice at 100 a lot but not on a live animal. I know a lot of guys take and make the long shots on critters all the time but not this hillbilly. I enjoyed watching them cross the field, ended up going back in the woods at 124 yards. I didn’t call to her guess I should of tried to convince her to come closer to check me out. What’s the experts think? Anyway after that I hiked back to camp with a big smile on my face. Successful day in my book.

19-Sep-20
Tuesday. Next to last day. What’s any fella from the east to do when it gets down to the wire? Why tape a hoochie mamma to each boot and tie my bugle tube to my bow. That way I can easily call with each step and bugle every other step. Na I headed back south of camp to the edge I found the good trail and new rubs at. Jason had seen a cow and calf the evening before but no luck on any bulls. I messed around the area and called off and on but nothing through out the day. I ended up back at camp with about 15 minutes of light left. A cow was crossing the end of the field in front of the tents when I got there. Jason showed up a little while after dark and told me he had seen the same cow but there were two of them and two calves.

19-Sep-20

Blow down land
Blow down land
Wednesday. Last day. I told my wife the night before I was milking every second out of this trip. Last time I was at this place I killed my bull the first day. I wanted to get every drop out of this hunt. I decided to go north. There were two more camps that direction so I had been staying away. I figured I could start out north west and loop back around east. Jason was heading out north east and looping back west.

The closer I got in the direction of the other camps the more bugles I heard. I’m no expert on bugles but I was betting 90% were hunters. We had around 30 guys in about a 10 mile area that I knew of. I decided to keep bugles to a bare minimum and slip through the timber and cow call a little. Really didn’t see much fresh sign. Around 11 I was near a very large field and kept hearing a strange noise coming from that direction. Worked my way to the edge and heard it again. It sounded like a mix between a moo cow and a coyote howling. Maybe a dash of elk. I headed on my way. Didn’t want to disturb the fella practicing his bugle. Little later I sat down for lunch. I sat down for lunch and a nap and could set my watch to Peter piper. Every half hour he’d sound off. Was walking a trail heading Jason’s direction.

After lunch and a nice nap Jason and I talked on the radios. He said the fella made his way over to him and was responding to his calls. He was now heading back my direction. Neither one of us had seen the guy so I wasn’t 100% positive.

Sure enough half hour later as I was climbing through a real nice section of blow down I started hearing him again.

19-Sep-20
I’d had enough. Curiosity got the best of me. I got the wind right and headed towards Jonny thunder. I was around 200 yards for the trail he was traveling when his next bugle sounded off. I answered with a short and low bugle. And continued towards his location. 50 yards later he replied. I answered with some chuckles and a few cow calls and continued his direction. The wind was in my face or hitting my right cheek the whole time. I kept him straight ahead as I approached. Nearing the edge of a field and the trail he was on I stopped and waited for his next call. Wasn’t much of a wait and he sounded off 60-70 yards out. Wind directly in my face. He had to be at the edge the woods on the other side of the opening. I could just see the edge of the opening on my side so I couldn’t confirm. As soon as he sounded off I hit him with the loudest and meanest bugle I could make.

No response. I started thinking if a bull is coming into my calls at some point I’ve got to get the wind off my back why hasn’t this guy moved to get the wind right? I gave it a few minutes and slipped up behind a few short pines at the edge of the opening and waited. Five minutes later coming from my left to right in the opening a coyote showed up. He stopped a or slowed down a couple times and looked behind him That’s the end of this game. I’m killing a yote. I got a arrow on and drew without it seeing me. To late he was behind some of the pines and I had no shot. I waited for a bit to see if he had a friend traveling with him. As soon as I put the arrow away three more appeared. Same direction and looking behind them. Same outcome no shot due to the trees. Oh well. Where’s Jonny thunder or this bull now? I stood there for 45 minutes and not another sound out of him. The only thing I can think of is he finally decided to get the wind right and moved to my left and spooked the yotes my direction. Or it could of been a real bull and I screwed it up. The rest of the afternoon I didn’t hear another peep out of him. What do you think bull or guy? I had a couple hours before dark and decided to work back towards camp and spend the last time I had sitting where the cows and calves came out the night before.

19-Sep-20

Large rock in front of pine tree is 55 yards
Large rock in front of pine tree is 55 yards
I made it there a good hour before dark and found a nice spot to hide with the wind right.

19-Sep-20

Cows in the field.
Cows in the field.
15 minutes before last light and I see the first cow step out. Not long after I had four cows and a calf in the field. Only problem was they came out 280 yards away. Oh well. I enjoyed watching them feed across the field. As light faded I imagined the calf growing into a fine bull one day and one of my daughters getting a shot at him. I reflected on the trip and truly felt blessed to make it out west again this year. I’ll add a few more pics but that about sums it up. God bless and good luck to everyone this year. Saturday our deer season opens and I’ve got two daughters waiting to get after some whitetail.

19-Sep-20

Jason fished for a bit after we packed up Thursday morning. Caught several good ones.
Jason fished for a bit after we packed up Thursday morning. Caught several good ones.
Jason ended up eating his tag. Only bull he saw was the one the day before season started.

19-Sep-20

Drunk Santa cutting the cheese
Drunk Santa cutting the cheese

19-Sep-20

I liked this one
I liked this one

19-Sep-20
Sounds like you had a memorable adventure out west. Thanks for the recap!

Mitch

19-Sep-20
Thanks for the write up. Were you in a drop camp?

19-Sep-20
David, your Colorado elk adventure put a smile on my face, elk or no elk. Story telling perfecto. My best, Paul

19-Sep-20
Good story! Thanks for sharing

20-Sep-20
Thanks fellas! A couple of friends and my neighbors stopped by while I was gone and limbed and cut up the downed trees in the yard. Nice surprise when I got home. Yea it was a drop camp. I’ve been going to the area for 6-7 years now. I promised my younger brother I’d do a rifle hunt with him next year so it will be two years before I can chase them with my bow again.

20-Sep-20
Dang good read man.

Thanks for taking us along,

Robb

20-Sep-20
Enjoyed the read thanks sharing.

20-Sep-20
Great bowhunting adventure. Thanks for the recap. Good luck at home in the deer woods.

20-Sep-20
Enjoyed reading about your hunt, thanks for posting!

20-Sep-20
You definitely gave it a good go in tough conditions. Great read thank you!

We were in a different unit opening week and left Tuesday to avoid the wind and snow. He had tough conditions the other way. Hot, Dry and full Moon. But we had a great time.

My son in law, and my friends young sons first trip west.

It’s always Fun to experience it through a persons first trip. They saw moose, bear, antelope Mule Deer and Elk. Of course we saw everyone of these species every day, except elk. Again we had a great trip, and and it definitely fueled the fire for their return

20-Sep-20
A great adventure. Nicely written. Tks for sharing with the Bowsiters !!

20-Sep-20
Great adventure - You are the kind of person anyone would like to spend time with .... always a positive attitude. 2 thumbs up.

• Sitka Gear