Russ Koon 07-Nov-20
Grey Ghost 07-Nov-20
Ziek 07-Nov-20
midwest 07-Nov-20
BULELK1 09-Nov-20
CurveBow 09-Nov-20
DMTJAGER 16-Nov-20
10-Sep-20
When traveling cross country and you have your truck loaded with gear do you unload everything at a hotel, leave it unsecured and take the risk or do you have some sort of alarm/protection mechanism? I am in a hotel related business and we have had a lot of vehicular break-ins this summer.

I ran across this product - basically a motion detector that sits on the bungee net. It seems like a decent concept. https://arachnet.net/product/arachnet-web-alarm/#:~:text=The%20concept%20of%20the%20ArachNet,any%20attempted%20crime%20in%20progress.

10-Sep-20
Hotel? Nothing of value is staying in the truck. Out in the woods? I take my chances.

10-Sep-20
The places I hunt from a hotel my stuff in the back comes in with me. The stuff in the cab I leave and lock the truck. Never any issues. Shawn

10-Sep-20
Everything in the bed is locked under the tonneau cover, and I clean out the cab, and pack it all in the room, so nothing is visible that could indicate I'm on a hunt.

Just another truck...with video surveillance stickers on it, and an NRA sticker ;^)

10-Sep-20
Do you unpack ice chests from the truck too? The reason I ask is try to buy a big cooler in Cheyenne Wyoming during elk season. Either you won't find one or it is outrageously priced. No offense to Cheyenne. We've worried as much about coolers as clothing so we pack some coolers with gear.

10-Sep-20

Brotsky's Link
Get one of these bad boys. I will have one before next fall. Awesome covers.

10-Sep-20
Bows, guns, binocs, etc goes in the motel room. Coolers stay in the locked cab. And I try to park in a highly visible lighted area.

10-Sep-20
Move everything into the hotel. No chances taken. If I’m parking the truck at a trailhead I will make sure I don’t leave anything valuable inside and coolers etc get locked into the truck

10-Sep-20
Diamondback cover. No concerns. It’s more secure than a house or hotel. You’d have an easier time coming through the bottom of the truck box than through the cover

10-Sep-20

caribou77's embedded Photo
I recently picked up a new F-150. Came with the best topper for truck hunting and leaving your gear alone. Not everyone feels it’s so great but I love it.

13-Sep-20
Caribou, what brand is that topper? Looking to dump my Leer...

13-Sep-20
Nowadays whenever I/we travel, I take my computer bag (which also has important stuff in it) and guns in the motel and sleep with them. Anything else stays locked in the truck. I try to get motels with parking right in front of the room door. We always call ahead while on the road to reserve a room. Because I/we travel long legs, we don't book a room until the late afternoon when we estimate how far we will drive that day/night.

13-Sep-20
We always ask for a ground level room. Back my truck in by the door. Have also backed my truck (with bed cover) into the parking lot shrubbery. Either way helps me sleep better!

14-Sep-20
Ive heard too many horror stories. I stay in my truck or try to find someone along my routes to put me up, usually just sleep in the trk..and i usually have a dog as well...

14-Sep-20
Unicover industrial

14-Sep-20
Are hunters stealing from hunters? Another locals vs NR conflict? All these years and trips I was oblivious to this happening. Such a sheltered life . So naive .

14-Sep-20
Diamond Back truck covers. Look them up. Lockable and you can load on top unlike cloth covers.

14-Sep-20
If your staying anywhere’s near Albuquerque NM unload the truck ! They don’t Breakin to the truck they take the truck and trailer if your hooked to one !!!

14-Sep-20
I don’t stop unless it’s NM or AZ and a 30 hour drive, and then only stop for a cpl hours.

14-Sep-20
I third the diamondback cover, Had mine 3 years and love it.

15-Sep-20
If your staying anywhere’s near Albuquerque NM unload the truck ! They don’t Breakin to the truck they take the truck and trailer if your hooked to one !!!

15-Sep-20
Jd, did they leave your beer behind?

20-Sep-20
Lost My, specialized crossrail parked under the awning of the hotel in Albuquerque close to I-25 & I-40 IN 2018. Stopped by last year and ask when was the last break in and it was the night before. Do the Wally dock now. . And they leave the lights on for ya!

20-Sep-20

'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
Another for DiamondBack....

21-Sep-20
I park in the hotel managers spot, if occupied I’ll use “ employee of the month” spot

21-Sep-20
Dang I didn’t want a new cover until I started seeing the diamondback stuff

Looks great!!!

21-Sep-20

The new 'smooth' version of the Diamondback...Just put it on this weekend!

21-Sep-20

Super nice, easy to install and remove...

21-Sep-20
Question for the Diamondback owners.

How well does it keep cargo dry? I ask because I'd been looking at a single piece cover after having leakage issues with an older trifold.

21-Sep-20
Looks great

I like how you can stack in top

21-Sep-20
Never a problem with leaking...Also there’s channels along the hinge area so that when you do open it the water drains off the edges and not into the bed...You can see the gasket along the edges...

21-Sep-20
Thank you

22-Sep-20
And here I was always happy with a topper...

Lots easier to carry canoes & kayaks with a set of Yakima towers

04-Nov-20
Well...I bought one - the Arachnet that is.

The good - I like the way it works. It is simple and has worked every time I have tested it. I think it is solid product. I called the company because I had a question. Was able to speak to the owner - they answered my questions and assured me that if I had a problem with it they would replace it. Very cool to call once, speak with a live person/owner and get answers.

The bad - the finish isn't what I would call high end. But I really don't care because I didn't buy it for appearance. The clasp under the bottom requires some effort to open. It has gotten easier but still not what I would call high tolerance engineering. But for the price I perceive it is a good value and it does not impair the function.

End of story - I am comfortable leaving bulky things in my truck bed at a hotel - like duck decoys and coolers. I wouldn't leave my laptop and checkbook under it because someone could set the alarm off and be gone before I could respond from my hotel room - I usually park right outside of my room so I can respond quickly to a high decibel alarm. running out in my underwear should be enough to scare off most anyone short of the Victoria Secret models that stalk me.

04-Nov-20
Thats funny sheet right there Candor..

05-Nov-20
Another fan of the Diamondback covers plus you can put the quad on top.

07-Nov-20

BULELK1's embedded Photo
I put it on the front wall so it's hard to get to to turn it off if it's a robbery
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I put it on the front wall so it's hard to get to to turn it off if it's a robbery
I'm usually with in a days drive so I have no need to worry but on the trips I do have a 2 day drive, like to Iowa, I overnight in a hotel along the way.

I have an opportunity for Oryx and Aoudad this month so I will make it to Albuquerque travel day 1 (weather permitting) and spend the night. Other than toiletries and my weapons of choice, I won't unload anything else.

I added a nice little security motion detector kit to my lil trlr I always tow with my chit in it man!

07-Nov-20

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
The motion sensor is right at the back swing door so it set's the alarm off as soon as the door starts to open

After they have some way cut the cable lock off the back door clasp.

07-Nov-20

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
On the front of the trlr I have a motion sensor light, the trlr stays hooked up to my truck so if someone comes nosing around at night the light turns on.

07-Nov-20

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I have a stainless steel shell with only a rear window so it's more likely a thief would come in thru the window

07-Nov-20

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I put the second sensor inside the truck shell up on the front window as it sets off the alarm inside the lil trlr when activated.

So between the sensor light on the front of the trlr and this alarm sensor inside the shell, I feel okay as far as having some thief run off.....

So for right @ $50 for the sensory kit and the sensor solar light, I'm feeling A-okay

Good luck, Robb

07-Nov-20
jdee, your post reminded me of my one and only "stay" in Albuquerque, back in '99.

I had hunted that morning since dawn, filled my cow license in AZ, packed her out and boned the the quarters at the truck and divvied up the meat with my two hunting partners who lived in Phoenix, and started for Indiana in early afternoon, so was ready for a nap by the time I hit Albuquerque near midnight. Picked the first one on what looked to be Motel Row on the west end of town.

Started to doubt my choice while I was still carrying a few things into the room, and a train came highballing through on the tracks across the highway. They didn't slow down at all for passing through town, but I was tired enough to think I could probably sleep through that racket after a bit.

The the domestic disturbance in the next room began, with a vocal level that could still be heard easily over the next train about ten minutes later, and an hour or so after that it either carried on another one started in the parking lot. By that time I had figured out that trains thereabouts seem to run through at 80 mph about evert ten minutes.

Decided I could probably go another hour or two, but by that time it was too late to find any other accommodations, and the back of my little S-10 was chock full of gear and coolers, so I toughed it out and made the rest of the way home, stopping only for gas, ice, travel snacks and large coffees. I was just a 55yo kid back then. Sure couldn't do a marathon like that now.

I may have missed the pretty part of Abuquerque. Never went back to find out.

07-Nov-20
For you guys who use tow-behind trailers to haul your gear, don't forget to put a stout lock on your ball hitch AND the hitch receiver. My Father had his old Willys jeep stolen when it was hitched to the back of his RV. He had a lock on the ball, but not on the receiver. The thieves simply pulled the pin on the receiver, pushed the Jeep away from the RV, then re-installed the receiver on their vehicle and towed the Jeep away. I don't think I've ever seen my Father so upset.

Matt

07-Nov-20
Nothing is totally secure, but you can certainly make it more difficult. I use a lockable topper with reinforced screens behind the locked windows. I also have a Truck Vault for bows, guns, cameras, and computers. That, locked behind a locking tailgate, is about as impregnable as you can get.

07-Nov-20
I have a topper and sleep in the back of the truck with my side arm and a large Gatorade bottle at my side. Usually at a Walmart campground. Sleep like a baby for 4-6 hrs. then hit the road again.

09-Nov-20

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
True that Matt

I went to this hitch receiver lock and they have worked great.

Just a heads-up; they are your vehicle key or key fob Specific.

Once you set them to your vehicle key/key fob that's it! Ya can't switch vehicles and use them.

Good luck, Robb

09-Nov-20
Good post! I've traveled many times to Ontario, CA; Colorado, etc. My truck has a Leer cap. We always bring rifles into hotel room. And, used a chain & cable combination to put on the cap lock handles, go down through the hitch and back to the other handle. Its a pain for sure, but have never had an issue!

16-Nov-20
Bows, firearms, optics all go in my motel room. All else remains in truck. I take GREAT pains to make a reservation so I can be on the ground floor and park my truck a$$ end to the window of my room. I also make sure no one can see into any of the windows of my truck bed cap at all and leave absolutely nothing in view in the cab of my truck. Anyone looks into the windows of my truck will only ever see empty seats and an empty truck cab. I also spent considerable extra $$$ to get a cap with very well made very secure dual locking handles for my truck cab door. I also have a good alarm on my truck as well. Gotta face the fact there is no such thing as theft proof, but most theft is born of opportunity and if a thief sees nothing of value that is a big help to begin with.

• Sitka Gear