Surfbow 21-Sep-20
hobbes 21-Sep-20
coelker 21-Sep-20
Shiras42 21-Sep-20
Beachtree 21-Sep-20
Heat 21-Sep-20
19-Sep-20

JSW's embedded Photo
I tried taking a picture to see how bad it was.
JSW's embedded Photo
I tried taking a picture to see how bad it was.
I just returned from the elk hunt from hell. It started off bad and just kept getting worse. Dan had to leave on day one for a family emergency. I hiked 18 miles in the first day and a half without seeing an elk or fresh sign.

Then I had a fight with my ATV which resulted in plenty of blood loss, (I had to take a picture to see how bad it was) a trip in an ambulance, stitches and a hole in my scalp that I no longer have enough hair to cover up. A sheriff’s deputy drove me back to camp the next day. I packed everything up to come home since you can’t really hike and camp with a hole in your head.

A busted ball joint on my truck on the way down the mountain, waiting hours for a tow and just when you think things can’t get any worse, I lost my phone.

The Firestone shop in Sheridan Wyoming got my truck fixed and a buddy found my phone. I survived it all and it could have been so much worse. My friends call me Lucky!

19-Sep-20

JSW's embedded Photo
My ATV was covered with blood as well as my beard, shirt and pants.
JSW's embedded Photo
My ATV was covered with blood as well as my beard, shirt and pants.
I took a picture of my wounds but when I bent over to look at the pic, my glasses filled up with blood. I knew I had at least 2 open wounds so I covered them with paper towels and applied pressure. After about 10 minutes of not getting the blood to stop I decided I needed some help.

I was 15 miles from camp but I had talked to some guys about 3 miles back up the trail and headed that way.

When I got to them, I said I needed help to get the bleeding to stop and then would need a ride the the ER.

I guess I looked pretty bad because they imediatly got out their inreach and called 911. One of them had a blood clot pad and he sat me down and applied pressure. After about 5 minutes the bleeding stopped and we waited for the EMT's

19-Sep-20

JSW's embedded Photo
Ouch!
JSW's embedded Photo
Ouch!
It's not a good feeling when you see a chunk of your scalp laying in the dirt.

I know scalp wounds bleed a lot but this was ridiculous. It simply wouldn't stop bleeding.

I applied my last paper towel, tied a game bag over my head with a rope and pulled my hat over all of it, hoping it would slow down the bleeding. Then a made the 3 mile trip for help on the ATV.

As I was riding, the blood just kept a constant drip onto my lap and down my leg.

19-Sep-20
Damn!

Glad your ok man

19-Sep-20
Glad you are here to tell the story. What happened on the ATV?

19-Sep-20

JSW's embedded Photo
My first ambulance ride since I was 6 years old.
JSW's embedded Photo
My first ambulance ride since I was 6 years old.
I'm lucky I didn't loose consciousness. The way it was bleeding, I'm not sure it would have stopped if I had been unable to get help.

19-Sep-20
Dam Jim! Sounds like a rough one! Here’s to a speedy recovery.

19-Sep-20
Wow....Tough to read this. Glad you're safe!

19-Sep-20
Holy cow Jim, that looks like quite the ordeal! Glad you made it back out safely.

19-Sep-20

JSW's embedded Photo
It's healing but will take a while.
JSW's embedded Photo
It's healing but will take a while.
I have a hole in my scalp and a big lump on my temple under the cut with the stitches. It will heal up and I'll be back at it.

Sadly, I no longer have enough hair to comb over what will be an ugly scar. Good thing I have a charming personality.

19-Sep-20
Sounds like the atv got best of ya! Glad you’re ok and headed home. I thought all elk hunters had a hole in their head?

19-Sep-20
That is definitely an elk hunt from hell! Glad you lived through it, Jim!

Most of us have been riding ATVs around for a long time. Easy to get complacent. It just takes a split second to make a mistake and be in trouble! It really does make sense to wear a helmet!

19-Sep-20
OUCH!!!

19-Sep-20
Chicks dig scars! Glad you are OK. Could have been a nice worse outcome.

19-Sep-20
Man!!!! So glad you are OK!!!

That stuff can be very unnerving!!!

19-Sep-20
That pic of your scalp is pretty hairy,(no pun intended), showed it to my wife and she looked like a stepped-on-spider. I’m with the rest, it could have ended much worse. Here’s to quick healing !

19-Sep-20
Wow, glad it wasn't worse Jim.

Are you going to get the scalp tanned? A collection of scalps used to be a sign of badassness.

19-Sep-20
Thank God you are ok. Good luck on the next hunt. On the bright side. Chicks dig scars.

19-Sep-20
I put my scalp in a zip lock and put it in my pocket. Somewhere along the way, I lost it. Oh well.

19-Sep-20
Two years ago I stopped to talk to a couple guys on the way out. They saw me a couple times and flagged me down. They honestly asked me why I was wearing a helmet!!!!!

19-Sep-20
Heal up quick so you can hunt those easy whities.

19-Sep-20
Holy moly glad you are all ok.

19-Sep-20
Yes, glad you are here to tell us.

19-Sep-20
I hear that younger women really like beat up older guys with scars. At least this is what I have read in recent western novels. Might be a good thing. Good luck with that . My best, Paul

19-Sep-20
Man, what a hairy ordeal to go through. Glad the other hunters happened to be around at the time to help you out. Get well and back to the passion!

19-Sep-20
Dang Jim! Glad you made it out, even if you left a few pieces of yourself on the mountain!

19-Sep-20
Glad you are ok Jim! Could have been much worse, especially by yourself. I used to have an atv like yours till I rolled it 800+ ft down the mountain elk hunting in UT. Man, atv accidents happen so fast!

19-Sep-20
Scary stuff, glad you're ok bud!

19-Sep-20
Glad to hear you’re ok, Jim. Could have been way worse!

We elk hunted with an outfitter a few years ago, whose girlfriend rolled an ATV over on top of herself and pinned her down in a creek at 10pm the night before we got to camp. They didn’t find her till the next morning, and she had died of hypothermia. Very sad stuff.

19-Sep-20
Damn Jim! Glad you're able to tell the tale!

19-Sep-20
That looks nasty. How did you wreck?

19-Sep-20
Wow! Glad you are ok.

19-Sep-20
Glad you okay!

20-Sep-20
you have lots of hunts but only one head. glad you are OK now. Scary stuff for sure.

20-Sep-20
Did your ATV land on top of you in a rollover?

I was out hunting and went to unload the atv with ramps that are far to short at 6 feet. One ramp came off the tailgate while backing down, thought for sure it was coming over the top, and I'd have a broken back. Luckily, it came to a rest on the back of the ATV, and was teetering long enough so I had time to bail off. I hate hauling ATV's in the back of a truck, either the rear window shatters or you risk your life unloading.

Certainly your situation could have been much worse. Glad your going to be ok!

20-Sep-20
That’s almost as bad as actually hunting for two weeks from a tent with the partner from hell. Hellish partners could be a thread of it’s own. Glad you lived to tell about it. It’s still early I’d go back and hunt. My mental scars would never heal if I didn’t.

20-Sep-20

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
DANG! That’s about everything that CAN go wrong DID go wrong! Glad there was someone to help nearby!

I started carrying Quick Clot in my first aid kit several years ago. ALWAYS have it when I go hunting, hiking, backpacking and even ice-fishing! (Those auger blades are SHARP!)

20-Sep-20
And I thought only a horse could turn spiteful on you!

Glad you’re well enough to take some ribbing about it. Pretty horrifying to hear about the gal who didn’t make it out.

20-Sep-20
Damn Jim....I told you 37 might not be a good hunt, but I had no idea.......Mike

20-Sep-20
Ouch. Glad you came out of it ok.

20-Sep-20
More details of the crash. I was going down a steep hill that was too rough to be going down. I crawled over a boulder and as soon as I started, I knew it was a mistake. My right front tire dropped into a hole causing the left rear to lift up, which let the rear slide around. The bike slammed on it's side, throwing me to the ground. It actually never rolled, in fact, it ended up back on it's wheels. I tried to stop the fall with my hand, bruising my palm, scraped my shoulder and hit my head on a rock. I never lost consciousness but it did ring my bell.

Paul, even if younger women dig older guys with scars, it will do me no good. That's the last thing I need.

20-Sep-20
Holy crap Jim, as others have said ... could have been MUCH worse. Well one this is certain (well kind of) your next hunts will be better. I sure hope you used up all your bad luck and the rest of your hunts go great.

20-Sep-20
Jim you are a very fortunate, blessed man to come out of the accident the way you did. Wishing you have a speedy recovery.

20-Sep-20
Wow, that was serious, glad you are ok. So, tell us again how that bull elk charged you and you head butted him and killed him with your leatherman.

20-Sep-20
Glad to hear you’re ok. I feel your pain. Broke my nose on an ATV Last year checking trail cams when I endoed after the thing stopped dead in a rut I couldn’t see in high grass. Was just glad it wasn’t my neck. That also bled like a pecker and I still have it on my quad today lol.

20-Sep-20
Wow!! Glad you are okay and able to tell the story. Talk about a tragic comedy though. The whole story made me and my family laugh.

20-Sep-20

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
Glad it wasn’t worse for sure. It is amazing how fast things can get western on ATV’s or motorcycles. Last week I rang my bell very good. Thank God I had a premium helmet AND neck brace on!!!

I was on a motocross track though! Not quite the same as a sketchy trail on a 700lb quad!

21-Sep-20
The Good Lord was certainly watching over you that day.

Glad you are alive and recovering man,

Robb

21-Sep-20
Wear your helmets guys!!

21-Sep-20
Dang it man!!! Glad you're okay. That looks like it may have hurt just a little.

21-Sep-20
Man glad you made it out ok... I am getting an inreach asap and the clotting cloths are in the pack.

21-Sep-20
Damn, Jim! Glad you made it out.

21-Sep-20
You really can be the guy that says, yea I need that like another hole in my head.

21-Sep-20
Glad you are going to be OK man, that could have ended much worse! The elk will be there next year. Best wishes on your recovery.

• Sitka Gear