butcherboy 28-Feb-21
Mike Ukrainetz 28-Feb-21
25-Feb-21

Big Fin's embedded Photo
Really, I'd eat it again.
Big Fin's embedded Photo
Really, I'd eat it again.

Big Fin's Link
When we posted the story of me shooting a wolf, many commented that I was crazy to quarter it and pack it out. I was deemed crazy long before that.

Well, we finally got clearance as to how to cook the wolf free of any disease risk. We did that recently. I ruined the texture by overcooking, a result of being too concerned about disease risks. Next time I will find a way to accomplish the disease objective and not ruin the texture of the meat.

Summary, the crew voted 9-0 that they would eat it again. I was very surprised by the mild flavor, even if I did ruin the texture. I will be keeping and eating the wolves we take on future hunts.

Video at the link.

25-Feb-21
Randy, try a Sous Vide next time, you can safely cook to temp and hopefully maintain texture, etc.

Maybe I should have watched the video first before suggesting something. LMAO!

25-Feb-21
Great Stuff, Randy!

25-Feb-21
Have at it. why not move to China instead...dog readily available. That steak looks about like what my dog passes every day. Go for it. :P

25-Feb-21
You sound like some of those tough macho Montana guys I ran into there back in the 80s who hated 'outsiders', but eat anything and everything like they were 'mountain men'...just wannabe's though. If these 'tough guys' really had lived in the true 1800's mountain man era, they WOULD have starved. Its laughable.

25-Feb-21
Kudos to you and the crew Randy, but for me, I couldn't eat dog , no way no how lol

25-Feb-21
Have to agree with TK, that looks like turds on a plate... but I would kill a wolf given the chance.

25-Feb-21
The Lewis and Clark trip took dogs along to raise their own meat, many of them preferred dog to some other wildlife.

25-Feb-21
I'd give it a try too...

25-Feb-21
Trapperkayak Randy wouldn’t starve. He could survive on muskrats alone. Good stuff Randy.

25-Feb-21
All most seems to me you gave that wolf to much respect. I don't likem

25-Feb-21
Wolf - It’s what’s for dinner. No thanks. I’ll stick with the other red meat.

25-Feb-21
Thanks for sharing. Glad you liked it. I’ll pass all the same.

25-Feb-21
You never disappoint! Maybe make some hot NM chile out of the meat next time!

25-Feb-21
I might suggest that to REALLY taste wolf meat, do not added any seasonings or marinate prior to cooking. And then after, no catchup, etc, etc. I give you credit for trying and sticking to your values, ie, kill it?, eat it! my best, Paul

25-Feb-21
You never disappoint! Maybe make some hot NM chile out of the meat next time!

25-Feb-21
I’ve had dog in Africa, very glad you tried this Randy! Would I do it? Maybe not but still cool that you went to the trouble especially with your place out in front of hunting media

25-Feb-21
I really think more hunters would be willing to kill a wolverine once they realize how good they taste.

25-Feb-21
Sous vide x2. You can cook bear, etc., to a lower internal temp, and still kill the worms, due to the extended time in the waterbath.

Hope it didn't lead to the symptoms of the "Spicy Chili" incident...lol !

25-Feb-21
Atta boy Randy! I doubt that I could swallow wolf steak.....

25-Feb-21
No disrespect Fin, but that looks like shoe leather!

25-Feb-21
I eat everything I kill. Except wolves. Actually I never considered it. To me it seems the same as trapping. We always chucked the raccoon and muskrat carcasses out for the wildlife to eat. I do like mountain lion though. The other white meat.

25-Feb-21
No disrespect Fin, but that looks like it came out his anus! Shoe leather would be a delicacy.

25-Feb-21
Nah......

25-Feb-21
10-4 on the hot NM chilli. Just stay away from that stuff in Magdalena;)

25-Feb-21
Never been that hungry.

25-Feb-21
Funny everyone that is saying 'Sous Vide' did not watch the video!

25-Feb-21
I have been reading that 125 to 130 degrees at 2 hours is adequate for bear. 170 at 5 hours...holy smokes!

25-Feb-21
Before watching the video I was thinking instant pot and pull it. Put it in with beef broth and onions and the temperature with the pressure cooker would kill anything I would imagine.Pretty much the same thing that was done with the mountain lion at the end of the video. I would like to hear what Fuzzy would say. He seems to know his stuff when it comes to food safety. Wonder if it could be canned?

25-Feb-21
Wisconsin hunters just harvested 216 in 3 days maybe some will give it a try. Sous vide sounds promising!

25-Feb-21
I’d use it for wolf bait!

25-Feb-21
More power to you Randy! Can’t say I’m eager to try it but good on you for experimenting and sharing with us.

25-Feb-21
Good on you for being open minded

26-Feb-21
Thanks Randy, I have to agree your chili story still makes me laugh! Congrats on the wolf as well!

26-Feb-21
It's surprising how good the meat is from animals we don't consider palatable. My family enjoys the fruits of my trapping each year, be it raccoon, muskrat or beaver. Wild game of nearly all types are quite good on the table.

26-Feb-21
Only if I needed it to survive.

26-Feb-21
In his book “My Life with the Eskimo” Vilhjalmur Stefansson says he and his companions all preferred wolf to either caribou or seal. Also preferred it to 4 year old whale carcass. I don’t recall them giving cooking tips though.

28-Feb-21
I’ll eat anything that tastes good. Just had my first cougar. Not much flavor but no gaminess.

28-Feb-21
Now thats hard core !!

28-Feb-21
I've had people tell me that antelope is inedible, same for javelina, coatimundi, muskrats, beaver, and a lot of other critters that I've trapped or shot. I was of that same impression when it came to wolf, but given I had been surprised a lot of times with other game, I thought I would try it. Glad I did.

Growing up, we had an old boy and his wife as neighbors. If I caught it or shot it, he wanted me to bring the carcass for him. He ate just about anything and everything the woods or streams provided. He loved raccoons and beaver most of all the things I brought. He wouldn't take any of the weasel family though; weasel, mink, marten. And no red fox or coyotes. We caught some wolves, but they had to be released back in that day. Any fish was fair game for his pot; suckers, carp, sheephead, you name it.

The locals all said his scavenging diet was gonna kill him. He died in his mid-90s.

28-Feb-21
Muskrat and beaver are rodents. Marsh,Rabbit aka muskrat is served in restaurants. Bear is an omnivore. Cougar eats fresh kill. Bear eat carrion. Wolf...carrion and fresh kill. Why bother eating wolf, or coyote? The meat and carcase of coyote smells like hell. ,Probably,so does a,wolk.,Dogs,dont smell all that,great thats,for,sure. I eat what appeals to my nose To me eating wolf or coyote or dog is just a macho thing worthy of some kind ego pleasing headline. Things that stink ( like $#!+) smell like that so you wont eat it. Nuff said... ;)

28-Feb-21
I dont like the smell of broccoli at all but i love it grilled or done with other veggies in the cast iron. Not cuz i feel macho eatin somethin that smells bad. But because im not a fussy 6 year old that makes their mind up before they actually try it to know....;^)

28-Feb-21
I ain’t going to eat it unless I’m starving. I’m not going to knock someone for doing so either. To each his own.

28-Feb-21
Kegogi

28-Feb-21
I would try it. I’ve gnawed on raw pieces of beef liver before! That about made me puke though. Lol it’s all about reaching a certain internal temp and not temp for so many hours. You can check out the USDA recommendation for internal meat temps for pork and I’m sure it would work for wolf as well.

28-Feb-21
Good on you for eating the wolf! At least now we can all say that some people shoot wolves for the meat. Sounds good to me!!

• Sitka Gear