Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Man, I can not wait until turkey season starts so we can all get back on "TARGET". I will be in Nebraska for the archery opener. How about you?

25-Feb-21

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
If the S.O.B. in NE don’t kick us out again!

25-Feb-21
WV for me. Spring gobbler hunting is the best. I love it.

25-Feb-21
Thats like March 25th Nebraska Archery?

25-Feb-21
We can’t get across the border...so I will be here, another year of turkey hunting missed. :( We will live vicariously through guys like you Paul.

26-Feb-21
Was gonna try and kill a couple of Cali birds during P&Y in Reno, but that got fubarred, so now hopefully I’ll get a crack at some Nebraska birds around opening weekend with a buddy out there. After that , possibly head to Oklahoma for a few days there, before Iowa’s season opens up.

26-Feb-21
I'll be hunting in Pennsylvania, can't wait. They have been teasing me almost every day, gobbling and feeding in the yard. Most will be long gone before the opener though.

26-Feb-21

Dollar's embedded Photo
Dollar's embedded Photo
24 hours and the games begin here in Florida

26-Feb-21
Definitely Paul, I love calling them for others.

Also I’m going to try without a blind and with a stickbow. Using the gillie suit I made this winter. I’ve done it with a compound. Now for a stickbow

26-Feb-21
Last Spring Nebraska wouldn't let us come down to hunt at some certain date if we hadn't already purchased a license ahead of time. Is that restriction lifted for this year or any word on that??

26-Feb-21

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Probably shoot one on opening day, then get one for each family member. Then figure out what to do with the rest of the weekend. :)

26-Feb-21
Going to take some time off and head down to southern Iowa for some turkey hunting and deer scouting in April. Looking forward to some Spring weather and gobbling birds!

26-Feb-21
They’re pretty vocal down here now. I’ve still got a couple weeks

26-Feb-21
I’ll be in western Nebraska for the opener.

26-Feb-21
Paul, best of luck to you and all the other gobbler chasers!

I'll be hunting them around home here in PA. I was never really much of a turkey hunter until just a couple years. I'm still trying to kill a gobbler with my recurve and it's been fun trying. Hopefully it will come together this spring but either way it will be great to be out after them.

26-Feb-21
Will be in the hills and hollers of Missouri on opening morning.

26-Feb-21
End of April seems a looooong time away. But a morning of chasing turkeys followed by an afternoon of chasing trout is a damn fine way to spend the day!!

26-Feb-21

bigswivle's embedded Photo
This guy is still alive. Saw him last weekend of deer season. 12” +beard and 1 1/2+ spurs.
bigswivle's embedded Photo
This guy is still alive. Saw him last weekend of deer season. 12” +beard and 1 1/2+ spurs.

26-Feb-21
My son and I plan to try NE for the first time this spring.

26-Feb-21
Bigswivle....... looks like he’d keep tripping over that thing. Those Osceolas seem to be really long legged. Most other subspecies beard lengths seem to average around 9”-10” on mature birds. Do the average beard lengths on Osceolas average about the same as other subspecies, or a bit longer? Another question would be, are they actually longer legged, or just seem to look that way?

26-Feb-21
I hope our flock near Post, Texas survived the polar votex of mid-February. It gold cold enough to freeze my wattles off ! ;-)

26-Feb-21
Showing results for do osceola turkeys have longer legs than other turkeys.

Osceola turkeys also have more iridescent green and red hints in the feathers than the eastern subspecies found in northern Florida and the east coast of the U.S. Those darker colors and longer legs of the Osceola turkey make them better adapted to survive in Florida's varied habitats.Nov 20, 2018

26-Feb-21
T-Roy

Typically our birds have longer beards I think. Older turkeys here get great hooks to. I’ve killed several birds with 1 3/4 spurs. Love this long hooks. They might only weigh 16lbs tho. Lol

26-Feb-21
Interesting.....Thanks Conner & Paul!

I’m kinda partial to long hooks, as well. 1 5/8” is the best I’ve done (Eastern)

26-Feb-21

Dollar's embedded Photo
Dollar's embedded Photo
This is what south Florida is known for Almost 2 1/4" spurs

26-Feb-21
Damn!

26-Feb-21
Holy smokes, Dollar!

26-Feb-21

Dollar's embedded Photo
Dollar's embedded Photo
After last season getting cut short,only really hunted the first week.There should be quite a few birds closer to those spurs than the average 1 1/4" we have.

26-Feb-21

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
I think I speak for my Jake decoy when I say I’m very glad our spurs are more like this than like Dollar’s! Yikes!

26-Feb-21

12yards's Link
Just ordered one of these. Are they any good?

26-Feb-21
don't see why not. Combine that with a semi aggressive jake decoy and maybe a feeding hen or two, and WAMB BANG, = dead TOM

26-Feb-21
Those spurs really changes things when “gettin’ on one”while it’s flopping after the shot.

26-Feb-21
Whocares, no problem with Nebraska anymore. We were in Norfolk a couple days ago and nobody was wearing masks. Not even the wait staff at restaurants.

26-Feb-21

skipmaster1's embedded Photo
skipmaster1's embedded Photo
I’ll most likely be in VT chasing them with a recurve.

27-Feb-21
I don't know about everyone else but last year was a wash with covid going on....and traveling. I plan on making up for it this year! Good luck to everyone!

27-Feb-21
In Illinois 4/17-22 then on to Spokane for turkey and Idaho bear.

27-Feb-21

Dollar's embedded Photo
Dollar's embedded Photo
Well today went smooth had two at 40 yds this morning just a little out of this young mans range with his youth 20ga.So this afternoon we switched to a 12ga and the bird came in under 30yds. Not a bow kill but he'll be slinging arrows next year.

27-Feb-21
Congrats to your son, Dollar!

27-Feb-21
Dollar , Awesome for the young man. What part of Florida do you hunt ? I used to trade a deer hunt for a Turkey , hog hunt in Cape Canaveral, fun hunting. Forrest

27-Feb-21
great way to start off the season.

27-Feb-21
I'm thinking hard about the last 5 days of Nebraska archery before gun starts... depends on the Weather.

27-Feb-21
Soon, very soon...

28-Feb-21

28-Feb-21
This will be my second year missing my annual trip to Nebraska and several other states. I can't even hunt here because I hunt on an island and they have restricted all travel except residents and essentials. It sucks and I ain't getting any younger. Being a retired fiefighter its was just a matter of time to for the big C and last year was it. Thankfully after several operations and radiation they think they got it due to an early detection but you never know which sucks even more ! Well enough crying in my beer good luck guys I'll be looking forward to the stories of thunder in the spring !!

01-Mar-21
I bought my Nebraska Tags today.... i plan to be there 3/25 for the opener...

01-Mar-21
Thanks Scoot and good luck with the recurve it took me seven years of trying to get one with a compound lol I doubt your that bad ;)

01-Mar-21
Agree.

01-Mar-21
Scoot.....If you kill one with your recurve, will you still talk me;-)

01-Mar-21
I will be in western NE for the archery opener. Until then I need to kill a few snows out that way! Does anybody else think that $128 is ridiculous for a tag? Yet a non-resident can shoot two does for $70!?

01-Mar-21

04-Mar-21
Hey Jeff, if you were a non resident turkey hunter, hunting Colorado, the cost of one tag is, $157.77 and then add in a HS for $ 10.40. I use to purchase three tags in Neb when they were 98$, but now will only buy two tags. I use my Nebraska HS also for deer. Still a good deal when compared with other hunting expenses.

04-Mar-21
Ya Michigan is 160 bucks to hunt one turkey and don't even look at Iowa lol

04-Mar-21
Make sure you can shoot it out of the blind Scoot. I cannot make mine work in there, especially my longbow. I know I could kill one easy with my longbow but I hit the damn roof.

t-roy, he'll still talk to you. He'll just tell you to get off his lawn!

05-Mar-21
I'll be out in Pa bow in hand. Our opener is right around first Saturday in May. First two weeks you can only hunt till noon, after that all day. About 15 years ago I found a perfect spot for a bow setup. It's a side hill with big hemlock and beach trees, below a field and then another side hill. Where I setup the woods come to a point with a grow pasture on one side and a field on the other and a big field at the point that has a round knob in it. I often see birds right on that knob strutting. The birds almost always come up by me and I'm in a blind right at the point. I've had birds come many of times just out of range in the early hours and walk away with hens. Say 6-7 am. I learned not to move from my spot, as many of times 2, 3 or 4 hours later, not a gobble in that time frame, till they are many or times a couple hundred yards away. The same birds show back up sometimes hens and most time not and come right up the point, coming right by me looking for me and/or just going to that round knob. I can say I hear birds there probably 90% of the time, see them 60%. Last year I only hunted there twice opening day, a bird for me, next time same thing.. Love that spot. Ed

05-Mar-21
I'll be out in PA with another Bowsiter trying to get my first bird with the bow.........................unless he forgets the blind!(AGAIN! ;-)

05-Mar-21
I'll be out with my son during PA's youth day and then the regular season thereafter. Gotta get him one, my dad one and myself 2. I hunt every day b4 work most of the season even if it's only for an hour or less. But I go after them with my shotgun cause I love it! I load my own shells and it's just my thing.

05-Mar-21
Rut Nut....free labor usually aint good labor. Maybe show up with some cash and things will go different....;^)

05-Mar-21
Grunt, i love hunting them with the bow. But i dont notice my heart pounding much less when they gobble and strut in when i have ol ‘Nelli shouldered. Deer hunting is just a different kind of exciting with bow in hand. But for me, turkey hunting is as much about the atmosphere and all the things the spring woods give you when you are willing to be out there at first light as it is about the thrill of bowhunting. Even without a weapon and calling for someone else, its just.....a special blessing to my soul.

05-Mar-21
LOL! You know I’m just a poor ol’ country boy ................. ;-)

08-Mar-21

Djl's embedded Photo
This shot puts them down fast.
Djl's embedded Photo
This shot puts them down fast.
Gobbling hard for last couple weeks in MN. Getting closer.

08-Mar-21
Hey Paul Traditional or Wheel this year Good luck everyone

08-Mar-21

No Mercy's embedded Photo
No Mercy's embedded Photo
Look at those red heads from this morning. Counting the days!!

08-Mar-21
Getting fired up! Saw two toms scrapping the other day. Definitely getting close!

08-Mar-21
The Hunting Public boys are in Osceola country right now. Interested in seeing how they do.

08-Mar-21
Spring is a great time of the year

08-Mar-21
Hey Rick, I have two Neb tags. how about the first one with the wheels and the second with the stick.

09-Mar-21
Best of luck Paul and everyone! I’m hoping to get a Rio and Merriam toward my slam attempt this spring. Headed to OK, KS, WY and SD

09-Mar-21
Every day is great!

09-Mar-21

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
I leave on the 23rd of April for the Yucatán to hunt Ocellated turkeys and great Currasow.

09-Mar-21
That should be a great adventure Dave! Good luck!

• Sitka Gear